Internet searching candidates--which schools do this?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Geneva

Internet searching candidates--which schools do this?

Postby Geneva » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Someone mentioned a director of Columbia Law had recently viewed her linked in account. Which schools regularly google search candidates before granting admission?

dingbat

Re: Internet searching candidates--which schools do this?

Postby dingbat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:09 pm

Forget about schools - many employers do this too.
If you have embarrassing stuff out there, get rid of it

cpinker3

Postby cpinker3 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:52 pm

dingbat wrote:Forget about schools - many employers do this too.

+1 and better yet don't post it or let it be posted by others in the first place!

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 pm

cpinker3 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Forget about schools - many employers do this too.

+1 and better yet don't post it or let it be posted by others in the first place!

Exactly..even if some of my buddies tag me in pics that probably shouldn't be on facebook or what not I immediately remove it from my page

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:56 pm

Geneva wrote:Someone mentioned a director of Columbia Law had recently viewed her linked in account. Which schools regularly google search candidates before granting admission?

It's impossible to know which schools, so just don't post stupid stuff in the first place.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Geneva wrote:Someone mentioned a director of Columbia Law had recently viewed her linked in account. Which schools regularly google search candidates before granting admission?

What's wrong with LinkedIn account being viewed? The whole point of LinkedIn is getting viewed. Make your FB friends only, clean up your friends list, and don't accept people you don't know. Common sense.

kmh504

Postby kmh504 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:46 pm

I think the point of this thread was lost lol clearly (at least I hope) we are all smart enough to know how to present ourselves on the internet. The question Geneva posed (correct me if I'm wrong) regarded whether or not a specific law school viewing your profile is a good sign or not. Yes, Linkedin is there for that professional purpose but I doubt they scan ALL applicants.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:00 pm

kmh504 wrote:I think the point of this thread was lost lol clearly (at least I hope) we are all smart enough to know how to present ourselves on the internet. The question Geneva posed (correct me if I'm wrong) regarded whether or not a specific law school viewing your profile is a good sign or not. Yes, Linkedin is there for that professional purpose but I doubt they scan ALL applicants.

+100 i have made a point of being anonymous on the internet, but feel like i may be doing myself a professional disservice by NOT having a Linkedin account.

i am also curious to know which schools in particular do this. i am pretty sure yale regularly screens candidates before making offers. michigan tends to only google candidates to verify questionable information or to better understand their work experience. i figured other people might have more info about the policies used (usually not publicized) by other schools. i think taking time to do internet research on prospective students reflects well on the schools

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”