Ole Miss c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Re: Ole Miss c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:39 pm

I went to school down there for year. Beautiful. And the women, my God, the women. Mississippi must have a law that states every attractive female must move to Oxford. Yes, they all act and dress the same, but who cares? Those dames are incredible.

I agree with the above poster. Plus, Mississippi law graduates are set in the state. It's not 1955 anymore. And some parts of the state are really nice. I think the median private sector pay is about $90k, which is like $120k anywhere else in the country.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:48 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:I went to school down there for year. Beautiful. And the women, my God, the women. Mississippi must have a law that states every attractive female must move to Oxford. Yes, they all act and dress the same, but who cares? Those dames are incredible.
Sorry I am old and married and forgot about the women, OMG you are right; there are pretty women at Ole Miss. I am pretty sure that it is indeed a law. Not that that is a good reason to go to law school but it is true.

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:59 pm

JCFindley wrote:
Comoncents wrote:Why Ole Miss? What makes this place your choice?
I don't go there but it was a serious consideration for these reasons.

If your desire is to live and work in MS and especially the small markets you really can't beat Ole Miss. If you left the state and attended a T-14 people would wonder why and it might be hard to explain it. If you didn't go to high school in that town you likely wouldn't get hired being a T-14 grad in any of the smaller markets. Alabama or Vandy might be acceptable but probably wouldn't be viewed as well as Ole Miss in more than a few small markets.

I have ties in MS but Ole Miss is not very military friendly with their money and I would not go into debt to go there. That and my NYC wife would leave me if I suggested we move there. But for many small MS markets you really can't beat Ole Miss.

Believe it or not, many people like the thought of practicing law where they grew up even if it doesn't pay 160K.

Plus, you have great SEC football and the Grove. (Not a good reason to go someplace for law but enjoyable none the less.)

JC

Thanks! What do you think about UTK Law? They dropped drastically in the recent rankings, but what do you think of the market of UTK in the South?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:09 pm

Comoncents wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
Comoncents wrote:Why Ole Miss? What makes this place your choice?
I don't go there but it was a serious consideration for these reasons.

If your desire is to live and work in MS and especially the small markets you really can't beat Ole Miss. If you left the state and attended a T-14 people would wonder why and it might be hard to explain it. If you didn't go to high school in that town you likely wouldn't get hired being a T-14 grad in any of the smaller markets. Alabama or Vandy might be acceptable but probably wouldn't be viewed as well as Ole Miss in more than a few small markets.

I have ties in MS but Ole Miss is not very military friendly with their money and I would not go into debt to go there. That and my NYC wife would leave me if I suggested we move there. But for many small MS markets you really can't beat Ole Miss.

Believe it or not, many people like the thought of practicing law where they grew up even if it doesn't pay 160K.

Plus, you have great SEC football and the Grove. (Not a good reason to go someplace for law but enjoyable none the less.)

JC

Thanks! What do you think about UTK Law? They dropped drastically in the recent rankings, but what do you think of the market of UTK in the South?
I don't really have ties to TN but would guess it is similar in the smaller markets but then you do have Vandy as in state University that is well thought of as well. Strictly a guess on my part for TN though.

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:21 pm

I don't put a ton of stock in these things but am I reading this right that Ole Miss took a rather precipitous dive in the rankings?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:45 am

JerichoJohnny wrote:I don't put a ton of stock in these things but am I reading this right that Ole Miss took a rather precipitous dive in the rankings?
Compared to what year? I believe Ole Miss has been a TTT school for awhile, maybe reaching the around the 100 mark every now and then. No, in fact I think Ole Miss has been pretty steady. But it doesn't really matter for a TTT school. Ole Miss is very regional. So it only matters where you want to practice. Fact is, Ole Miss can set you up pretty well in MS, especially if you get a decent scholly offer.

bmili

Bronze

Post by bmili » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:41 am

To be frank, it appears the school's 66% employed-after-9-months figue has something to do with it...

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Compared to last year's rankings. Either way, I know that it doesn't matter much in Mississippi.

mkates33

New

Post by mkates33 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:41 pm

Is anyone going to accepted students day tomorrow?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

georgia32

Bronze

Post by georgia32 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:50 pm

I withdrew last week, good luck everyone, Ole Miss is a cool place.

blake8907

New

Post by blake8907 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:23 pm

yeah @mkate33I am going to it tomorrow. i'll be the drunk guy at the reception. don't you think its funny they give us driving directions then tell us to stay for the cocktail reception haha. and @Jerichojohnny.. yeah you're right ole miss went from 106 to to 135 this march.. i think. but yeah not very static.

cpinker3

New

Post by cpinker3 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:53 pm

I have been complete with no movement since 1/24 is anyone else in this situation?

Charlindrea

New

Post by Charlindrea » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:38 am

cpinker3 wrote:I have been complete with no movement since 1/24 is anyone else in this situation?
Yes, sadly. My status has had "Application received" since January 21st.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MissMock

New

Post by MissMock » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:54 am

Just withdrew... Good luck everyone!

cpinker3

New

Post by cpinker3 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:40 am

Ole Miss and LSU are getting kinda ridiculous (for me at least) with this wait to hear anything considering seat deposits at other schools are due soon.

jamrclap

New

Post by jamrclap » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Congrats to all accepted, hang in there for those still waiting. I'm accepted and am in a sort of predicament. Does anyone that currently lives there know of any job opportunities in or around Oxford for someone with a finance background? My fiance has 5+ years in wealth management, is fluent in Mandarin, has finance and international business BA from American and isn't nuts about waiting tables for three years at the City Grocery. So...any ideas? Any and all would be very helpful.

aws0005

New

Post by aws0005 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Status online still says File is complete- waiting, waiting. Want to go to Ole Miss!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geauxsaints

New

Post by geauxsaints » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:19 pm

jamrclap wrote:Congrats to all accepted, hang in there for those still waiting. I'm accepted and am in a sort of predicament. Does anyone that currently lives there know of any job opportunities in or around Oxford for someone with a finance background? My fiance has 5+ years in wealth management, is fluent in Mandarin, has finance and international business BA from American and isn't nuts about waiting tables for three years at the City Grocery. So...any ideas? Any and all would be very helpful.
Yeah, that seems like a realistic concern. I've lived in Oxford for awhile and it is definitely a small, college town. While I personally have no factual information to provide, I imagine that finding anything in finance in Oxford is difficult. One factor that may or may not be a hurdle is the fact that Ole Miss has a very well respected school of accountancy and business admin school. I imagine some graduates decide to stay in the area, but like I said, I have no clue if this is accurate. I am unsure if local employers are biased toward an Ole Miss business degree, but I imagine that is the case.

My best advice would be for her to explore her options in Memphis. It is a lengthy commute every morning but if you want to go to Ole Miss it may be her only option. I can only imagine that Memphis will provide many more opportunities for her than Oxford will.

I hope this helps and I apologize if any of my theories are incorrect. Also, where are you living currently if you don't mind me asking?

jamrclap

New

Post by jamrclap » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:21 pm

geauxsaints wrote:
jamrclap wrote:Congrats to all accepted, hang in there for those still waiting. I'm accepted and am in a sort of predicament. Does anyone that currently lives there know of any job opportunities in or around Oxford for someone with a finance background? My fiance has 5+ years in wealth management, is fluent in Mandarin, has finance and international business BA from American and isn't nuts about waiting tables for three years at the City Grocery. So...any ideas? Any and all would be very helpful.
Yeah, that seems like a realistic concern. I've lived in Oxford for awhile and it is definitely a small, college town. While I personally have no factual information to provide, I imagine that finding anything in finance in Oxford is difficult. One factor that may or may not be a hurdle is the fact that Ole Miss has a very well respected school of accountancy and business admin school. I imagine some graduates decide to stay in the area, but like I said, I have no clue if this is accurate. I am unsure if local employers are biased toward an Ole Miss business degree, but I imagine that is the case.

My best advice would be for her to explore her options in Memphis. It is a lengthy commute every morning but if you want to go to Ole Miss it may be her only option. I can only imagine that Memphis will provide many more opportunities for her than Oxford will.

I hope this helps and I apologize if any of my theories are incorrect. Also, where are you living currently if you don't mind me asking?
Ha, we're actually in Memphis. Thanks for the insight. From what I've been told the study and class regime would pretty much make commuting a living nightmare and hurt my ability to study correctly with library time, weekend study groups, and other requirements. Plus forget networking with classmates for after graduation if I'm running back to Memphis every day. This is my impression though, what do you all think?

geauxsaints

New

Post by geauxsaints » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:30 pm

jamrclap wrote: Ha, we're actually in Memphis. Thanks for the insight. From what I've been told the study and class regime would pretty much make commuting a living nightmare and hurt my ability to study correctly with library time, weekend study groups, and other requirements. Plus forget networking with classmates for after graduation if I'm running back to Memphis every day. This is my impression though, what do you all think?
There are some options.

You could treat school as a full time job and leave Memphis every morning and spend your days in Oxford in class, library, coffee shops, etc and then go home every evening. You'll lose at least 2 hours a day round trip to Memphis. It would be tedious to travel every day but if that means going to Ole Miss instead of University of Memphis then it's completely worth it imho.

Another option is to try and find a cheap room to rent. I'm sure for a few hundred a month you could find a room with a bed and a desk to shack up during the weeks and head home on the weekends. It isn't ideal at all for a married lifestyle but it's all about sacrifices right?

You could even find a cheap room and relax/study there during the days and head home to Memphis at night instead of sitting in coffee shops etc etc.

These are just ideas. I hope you are able to figure something out! Go Rebs!

blake8907

New

Post by blake8907 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:45 pm

was anyone else freaked out by the career services lady at admitted students day. She was pretty much like "good luck, and find your own job."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:08 pm

blake8907 wrote:was anyone else freaked out by the career services lady at admitted students day. She was pretty much like "good luck, and find your own job."
Look at this. It's horrible...

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... chools-say

http://www.mslitigationreview.com/2011/ ... -job-duty/

blake8907

New

Post by blake8907 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:31 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:
blake8907 wrote:was anyone else freaked out by the career services lady at admitted students day. She was pretty much like "good luck, and find your own job."

shit! i'm scared, but I can't get the second link to work.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:37 pm

blake8907 wrote:
BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:

shit! i'm scared, but I can't get the second link to work.
Huh, I just tried it and it worked for me. Try to rt click, copy link location, and then paste into a new tab. But, it really is just a link to MS Litigation Review's perspective on the CSO at Ole Miss.

blake8907

New

Post by blake8907 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:03 pm

ok it worked this time. my comp just sucks... damn i want the old director back!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”