Michigan Waitlist 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Will you stay on the waitlist?

Yes, I want Michigan more than anything.
55%
No, I have other choices.
24%
Yes, but I won't go if they do accept me.
14%
No, I give up on everything forever.
7%

Total votes: 76

RopeisaJoke

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby RopeisaJoke » Thu May 03, 2012 4:21 pm

hyakku wrote:They are still calling. I'm almost mad at how awesome their adcom is -_-. Just when I thought G Town had me in her throes....

They just ask a few questions though, my GPA is below 25/LSAT is 170/AA Male. Sorry I can't be a bit more open right now but I've got other things going such that I'd like to stay somewhat anon up here until the end of the cycle. It is cool that they remember the applicants though on a pretty personal basis, I got called from someone I've talked to a lot over the past few months and she even brought up some of our correspondence. Real cool people; I can't even be mad if I don't get in.

Regardless of where I end up I'm blessed, and I think all of you guys that end up at Mich. will be too; they seem to really care about each applicant. Good luck all, I'll be around.

So I'm confused. Did they call you just to kind of gauge your interest? Are you not technically 'in'?

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Thu May 03, 2012 4:44 pm

RopeisaJoke wrote:
hyakku wrote:They are still calling. I'm almost mad at how awesome their adcom is -_-. Just when I thought G Town had me in her throes....

They just ask a few questions though, my GPA is below 25/LSAT is 170/AA Male. Sorry I can't be a bit more open right now but I've got other things going such that I'd like to stay somewhat anon up here until the end of the cycle. It is cool that they remember the applicants though on a pretty personal basis, I got called from someone I've talked to a lot over the past few months and she even brought up some of our correspondence. Real cool people; I can't even be mad if I don't get in.

Regardless of where I end up I'm blessed, and I think all of you guys that end up at Mich. will be too; they seem to really care about each applicant. Good luck all, I'll be around.

So I'm confused. Did they call you just to kind of gauge your interest? Are you not technically 'in'?

I'm pretty sure that's what they are doing. Hopefully I'm at the top of the list, but it seems like they just don't want to extend offers to people who are committed to somewhere else with no chance whatsoever of attending Mich. other than to see if they could get in, those who would require maybe more aid than they can allocate, etc. Just speculation on my part, but it would make sense. I'm trying not to get excited and go back to checking this status checker -_-, I've got finals and papers to finish.

Tyeger87

Postby Tyeger87 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:07 pm

I also recieved a phone call this afternoon guaging my interest. After speaking, I recieved a call an hour later with an offer to enter the fall class.

I never thought I would be in this spot right now.

Good luck everyone

atj86

Postby atj86 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Tyeger87 wrote:I also recieved a phone call this afternoon guaging my interest. After speaking, I recieved a call an hour later with an offer to enter the fall class.

Good luck everyone

Congrats!

They seem to be pretty keen on URMs at this point.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Tyeger87 wrote:I also recieved a phone call this afternoon guaging my interest. After speaking, I recieved a call an hour later with an offer to enter the fall class.

Good luck everyone

I just realized I got a call an hour later. I missed it though. No... NOOOO.

Edit: Is there anyway I can call them back? I haven't gotten an email and the number they gave I can't call back, I also don't have VM. I'm freaking out right now because if I miss a spot because I missed a call that would be the ultimate trolling of my life.

Tyeger87

Postby Tyeger87 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:26 pm

hyakku wrote:

Good luck everyone

Edit: Is there anyway I can call them back? I haven't gotten an email and the number they gave I can't call back, I also don't have VM. I'm freaking out right now because if I miss a spot because I missed a call that would be the ultimate trolling of my life.

yes u can call them back, i missed the first call, just call the admissions office and let them know you recieved a missed call and they will take your name and figure out who in the office called u.

im pretty sure its good news

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Thu May 03, 2012 5:35 pm

Tyeger87 wrote:
hyakku wrote:

Good luck everyone

yes u can call them back, i missed the first call, just call the admissions office and let them know you recieved a missed call and they will take your name and figure out who in the office called u.

im pretty sure its good news

Tried to give a call, but they are closed. To be honest, this is a fitting way to end my experience with Mich. Trolled to the very end :lol: I guess tomorrow I learn whether I become a Wolverine or not.

I've also just learned that Mich. is on EST, not CST as I thought for some reason. So if nothing else, I've become a more accomplished cartographer thanks to Michigan.

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Fri May 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Hey, hyakku. Did you overcome the troll? Are congratulations in order?

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Well it seems like they've been making calls out in the afternoon/late afternoon, so if all the calls haven't gone out already we may get some soon...

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Fri May 04, 2012 3:57 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:Hey, hyakku. Did you overcome the troll? Are congratulations in order?

TROLL SLAIN!

Got in. Called back in between going to work and a final this morning and had to leave a message since the officer I've been talking to was on the phone. The receptionist had me schedule a call back time, but around 5 minutes before my final I got a call and she wanted to give me the goodnews before I took my test just to make it better :mrgreen: I also got a scholarship that was comparably to my other schools (lower but with CoL being lower it ends up being slightly more if I manage well). If my grants are similar based off need it would be an incredible blessing, but really right now I'm just basking in the pleasure of my cycle being done, being employed for the summer and being fortunate enough to be placed in such a difficult position to make a decision. I'm really feeling blessed today, I hope the rest of you all get a chance to feel as good.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Fri May 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Any more calls go out today?

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Fri May 04, 2012 6:52 pm

hyakku wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:Hey, hyakku. Did you overcome the troll? Are congratulations in order?

TROLL SLAIN!

Got in. Called back in between going to work and a final this morning and had to leave a message since the officer I've been talking to was on the phone. The receptionist had me schedule a call back time, but around 5 minutes before my final I got a call and she wanted to give me the goodnews before I took my test just to make it better :mrgreen: I also got a scholarship that was comparably to my other schools (lower but with CoL being lower it ends up being slightly more if I manage well). If my grants are similar based off need it would be an incredible blessing, but really right now I'm just basking in the pleasure of my cycle being done, being employed for the summer and being fortunate enough to be placed in such a difficult position to make a decision. I'm really feeling blessed today, I hope the rest of you all get a chance to feel as good.

Congrats then! And congrats to Tyeger. Good luck to you both on making the decision.

So it looks like we've got at least three firm offers extended - jadore's friend, Tyeger, and hyakku. jadore, did you get a second call as well, making it four firm offers? And of the four, are any of you sure you'll accept?

My guess is that they've made all the initial offers they're going to make right now already, but that they won't change the FAQ page to say they aren't looking anymore until they have ten people who have officially accepted the offer they've extended. That could be a couple weeks, depending on interest. Anyone else have thoughts? Anyone else get calls?

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Fri May 04, 2012 6:57 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:
hyakku wrote:

TROLL SLAIN!

Congrats then! And congrats to Tyeger. Good luck to you both on making the decision.

So it looks like we've got at least three firm offers extended - jadore's friend, Tyeger, and hyakku. jadore, did you get a second call as well, making it four firm offers? And of the four, are any of you sure you'll accept?

My guess is that they've made all the initial offers they're going to make right now already, but that they won't change the FAQ page to say they aren't looking anymore until they have ten people who have officially accepted the offer they've extended. That could be a couple weeks, depending on interest. Anyone else have thoughts? Anyone else get calls?

I feel like it may be something similar, although I'm assuming they placed a few calls and TLS isn't representative of all of us. I'm trying to make my decision as fast as possible so that they can move on everyone else. I'm 99.999% I'll be attending, I'd just like to see the aid package if so, but if preliminary results suggest I'm eligible for need based I'd likely be doing that.

I have a feeling also that it may be that they are trying to finish off URM yield as it seems a lot of schools placed many of us (especially splitters) on hold with the lowered application volume this year, so perhaps this first round is just that, and the next round will deal with everyone else (non splitter URMs, splitters, reverse splitters, etc.?) Just some speculation. Keep us posted, and I'll keep you all posted as well. Thanks Fortuna for the thread too, I would've never been alert and ready had I not checked back in here.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Mon May 07, 2012 4:39 pm

Any calls or news go out today?

Moriarty

Postby Moriarty » Mon May 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Sorry to be so lax--I missed the call on Friday and didn't get to call them back today. Will update tomorrow. Also URM, if that helps the line of speculation.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Mon May 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Congrats to the new admits! For those that have decided to attend and want convenient housing, I have a lease for a one bedroom apartment that I'd like for someone to talk over. It's in the Forum (building right across from the law school) and is one of the four reserved for incoming 1Ls. PM me if interested.

Latenite987

Postby Latenite987 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:14 am

I'm ginger. Does that count as URM?

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Tue May 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Latenite987 wrote:I'm ginger. Does that count as URM?

Let's just hope we get a few non-URM calls soon, unless all ten acceptances have gone out already. Maybe they're reviewing more waitlist applications at this time?

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Tue May 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Cartman wrote:

Let's just hope we get a few non-URM calls soon, unless all ten acceptances have gone out already. Maybe they're reviewing more waitlist applications at this time?

I'm assuming they've made ten calls, and they're waiting to see if those ten accept or withdraw before they make any more calls. So the spots aren't "filled" exactly, but they're not up for grabs, either. That's my guess, anyway.

Latenite987

Postby Latenite987 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:36 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:
Cartman wrote:

I'm assuming they've made ten calls, and they're waiting to see if those ten accept or withdraw before they make any more calls. So the spots aren't "filled" exactly, but they're not up for grabs, either. That's my guess, anyway.

We will be confined to Plato's cave until the end of the week/beginning of next week. This is my wager.

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Tue May 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Latenite987 wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:
Cartman wrote:

We will be confined to Plato's cave until the end of the week/beginning of next week. This is my wager.

Hey you. You're a ginger and you made a reference to Plato (and possibly Pascal?). I would like to be friends, sir.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Tue May 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Hey you. You're a ginger and you made a reference to Plato (and possibly Pascal?). I would like to be friends, sir.[/quote]

As a Philosophy major, I approve of this sentiment and would like to partake in this circle of friendship.

But yeah, we probably won't hear anything until the end of the week or the beginning of next week. Here's the thing though: they've been calling to gauge interest BEFORE extending any offers. I highly doubt they extend any offers to anyone unless the applicant responded that they'd accept the offer. I feel like those that are extended the offer have already indicated that they will accept the offer. So in my mind 10 offers = 10 spots filled. =\

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Tue May 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Cartman wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote: Hey you. You're a ginger and you made a reference to Plato (and possibly Pascal?). I would like to be friends, sir.

As a Philosophy major, I approve of this sentiment and would like to partake in this circle of friendship.

But yeah, we probably won't hear anything until the end of the week or the beginning of next week. Here's the thing though: they've been calling to gauge interest BEFORE extending any offers. I highly doubt they extend any offers to anyone unless the applicant responded that they'd accept the offer. I feel like those that are extended the offer have already indicated that they will accept the offer. So in my mind 10 offers = 10 spots filled. =\

Hooray, I'm a Philosophy major, too! Welcome to the circle. And yes, they've been calling to gauge interest, but I don't think the interest level they're looking for is "Definitely, yes." It's probably more like "Yes, U of M is one of my tops." I'm sure a lot of people they called had offers elsewhere as well and will have to think about it. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one said no.

Of course, even taking that into account, my hopes aren't high that I'll be getting a call at this point, either. :/

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Tue May 08, 2012 10:55 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:
Cartman wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote: Hey you. You're a ginger and you made a reference to Plato (and possibly Pascal?). I would like to be friends, sir.

Hooray, I'm a Philosophy major, too! Welcome to the circle. And yes, they've been calling to gauge interest, but I don't think the interest level they're looking for is "Definitely, yes." It's probably more like "Yes, U of M is one of my tops." I'm sure a lot of people they called had offers elsewhere as well and will have to think about it. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one said no.

Of course, even taking that into account, my hopes aren't high that I'll be getting a call at this point, either. :/

Phil majors everywhere! I'll be a fellow certified metaphysician in 48 hours or so. 8) Joining the philosopher's club.

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Wed May 09, 2012 2:33 am

hyakku wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:
Cartman wrote:

Phil majors everywhere! I'll be a fellow certified metaphysician in 48 hours or so. 8) Joining the philosopher's club.

I love it. Also, I looked up "The Philosophers' Club" to see if it was a thing (I worry about copyright infringement, you know), and I don't know which of these I'm more amused by:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 ... _OU01_.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/20/72243 ... e33e36.jpg

In other news, this is the 100th post in this forum! Yay! I love killing time while waiting for life-altering news!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”