Michigan Waitlist 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Will you stay on the waitlist?

Yes, I want Michigan more than anything.
55%
No, I have other choices.
24%
Yes, but I won't go if they do accept me.
14%
No, I give up on everything forever.
7%

Total votes: 76

Mr. Somebody

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 11:51 am

Wondering if that's ten new people just for now or if that's an estimate for the rest of the cycle

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed May 02, 2012 12:04 pm

Would assume just for now I can't see how they would know for the rest of the cycle this early

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Wed May 02, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm sure that it's 10 for now - there's no way they could predict the rest of the cycle. There is still a long time from now until when classes start.

RopeisaJoke

Postby RopeisaJoke » Wed May 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Could it be 10 for Summer Start? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part...

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Wed May 02, 2012 3:42 pm

RopeisaJoke wrote:Could it be 10 for Summer Start? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part...

That's exactly what it is, Rope. Wish! Hope! Dream! Guys, this is exciting. Also nerve-wracking.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Wed May 02, 2012 4:11 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:
RopeisaJoke wrote:Could it be 10 for Summer Start? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part...

That's exactly what it is, Rope. Wish! Hope! Dream! Guys, this is exciting. Also nerve-wracking.

+100

jadoreGLACE

Postby jadoreGLACE » Wed May 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Just got a call from the admissions office ... They asked if I was still interested (YES!!!-have sent in an LOCI and research award updates in the past 3 weeks), if I was confirmed anywhere else, where else I was on the WL, what my summer plans were, if I was interested in summer/fall start........ I was told that the Office/Dean Z would be in contact with me "very soon regarding the status of [my] application."

I don't know how to feel or what to think!
Do I start looking for apartments in Ann Arbor JIC or do I continue on as a frustrated and confused Queen of the Wait List, 2011-2012?

Thoughts?

Btw, a friend of mine was admitted off the WL by phone this afternoon!

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 4:58 pm

Congrats! Mind sharing stats of you and your friend?

jadoreGLACE

Postby jadoreGLACE » Wed May 02, 2012 5:05 pm

3.6?/152, REALLY strong softs/significamt WE/URM female/private liberal arts college

Friend ... Well more like an associate I met at another ASW, he's a URM male/MI native/state school, sorry that's all I know!

atj86

Postby atj86 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:15 pm

jadoreGLACE wrote:3.6?/152, REALLY strong softs/significamt WE/URM female/private liberal arts college

Damn, I guess that means they aren't hurting in their LSAT numbers. My chances just shrunk significantly.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 5:16 pm

atj86 wrote:
jadoreGLACE wrote:3.6?/152, REALLY strong softs/significamt WE/URM female/private liberal arts college

Damn, I guess that means they aren't hurting in their LSAT numbers. My chances just shrunk significantly.

Not necessarily. They might just not be happy with their urm yield at his stage. Stay hopeful

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Wed May 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Congrats jadore!

So it looks like at least 2 of the 10 slots are filled - did anyone else get a call from admissions? I wonder how many more people they called today; they could have filled all the slots or they could make more calls tomorrow...

Edit: Also, jadore: we're you and your friend selected for fall or summer start?

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Wed May 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Cartman wrote:Congrats jadore!

So it looks like at least 2 of the 10 slots are filled - did anyone else get a call from admissions? I wonder how many more people they called today; they could have filled all the slots or they could make more calls tomorrow...

Edit: Also, jadore: we're you and your friend selected for fall or summer start?

I'm guessing they'll be making more calls tomorrow, because from what jadore said, they may be calling multiple people for the same spot and then talking about it further. Of course, they could have made all of those calls already. But I prefer to be hopeful.

Either way, at this point in the cycle applicants get 8-10 days to respond, so even if people get a call, they might refuse. It's not over until the FAQ page says it is!

(And I second the congratulations going around. Good for you, jadore!)

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Wed May 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Wait, they give you eight days to respond with a deposit or something? I haven't really followed the threads since being WLed but this was the only school I intended to ride out and see if I could get any type of aid to make it viable. If you have to respond before you know whether you even qualify for financial aid that seems kind of crazy.

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Wed May 02, 2012 7:28 pm

hyakku wrote:Wait, they give you eight days to respond with a deposit or something? I haven't really followed the threads since being WLed but this was the only school I intended to ride out and see if I could get any type of aid to make it viable. If you have to respond before you know whether you even qualify for financial aid that seems kind of crazy.

The waitlist FAQ has this to say:

IF I GET AN OFFER FROM THE WAITLIST, HOW MUCH TIME WILL I BE GIVEN TO ACCEPT OR DECLINE?
It depends on the timing of the offer, but in general, we try to allow those receiving an offer a week to ten days in which to respond. If we're calling you any time after early August, however, we may have to ask for a shorter response time—and if we're calling you on the first day of orientation, we'll have to ask you for an immediate answer.

Unfortunately, that most likely does mean you'll have to give an answer before you know about aid.

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:49 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
atj86 wrote:

Not necessarily. They might just not be happy with their urm yield at his stage. Stay hopeful

Yeah but *17* points below median?

jadoreGLACE

Postby jadoreGLACE » Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 am

Ive been scouring these forums for months and its so interesting that the same students who work tirelessly to put together a complete and sound application package forget that law school admission committees are looking at people beyond three digit number sequences - and not just one factor (URM, WE, recommendations, career interests, research, sexuality, geographic origin, etc) stands out alone. Honestly if my story isnt the proof you need im not sure what is...and I won't even tell you where else I am considering, but just know that students who fall below medians and percentile markers have just as much value to bring to tier 1, T14, and top 10 law schools.

Sorry I just had to throw this out there! So let's all breathe and let's start defining ourselves as more than just a number.

Latenite987

Postby Latenite987 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:36 am

jadoreGLACE wrote:Ive been scouring these forums for months and its so interesting that the same students who work tirelessly to put together a complete and sound application package forget that law school admission committees are looking at people beyond three digit number sequences - and not just one factor (URM, WE, recommendations, career interests, research, sexuality, geographic origin, etc) stands out alone. Honestly if my story isnt the proof you need im not sure what is...and I won't even tell you where else I am considering, but just know that students who fall below medians and percentile markers have just as much value to bring to tier 1, T14, and top 10 law schools.

Sorry I just had to throw this out there! So let's all breathe and let's start defining ourselves as more than just a number.

We are all, indeed, unique snowflakes.

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Thu May 03, 2012 9:41 am

jadoreGLACE wrote:Ive been scouring these forums for months and its so interesting that the same students who work tirelessly to put together a complete and sound application package forget that law school admission committees are looking at people beyond three digit number sequences - and not just one factor (URM, WE, recommendations, career interests, research, sexuality, geographic origin, etc) stands out alone. Honestly if my story isnt the proof you need im not sure what is...and I won't even tell you where else I am considering, but just know that students who fall below medians and percentile markers have just as much value to bring to tier 1, T14, and top 10 law schools.

Well said!

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Thu May 03, 2012 9:59 am

Are you friends stats similar or is he a more traditional applicant?

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu May 03, 2012 11:28 am

TMC116 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
atj86 wrote:

A 152 has the same impact on the median as a 163 ( and the same effect on the 25th percentile). A few of the top schools sometimes report their minimum LSAT score and they can be really low and those students are almost always urm. If Michigan isn't getting the urm yield it wants its gonna be willing to dip pretty low numbers wise since they have to report those stats to the ABA. My guess is he or she is AA urm since they are the ones who get the ginormous boosts like that

ricsllscir

Postby ricsllscir » Thu May 03, 2012 11:35 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:
TMC116 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
atj86 wrote:

A 152 has the same impact on the median as a 163 ( and the same effect on the 25th percentile). A few of the top schools sometimes report their minimum LSAT score and they can be really low and those students are almost always urm. If Michigan isn't getting the urm yield it wants its gonna be willing to dip pretty low numbers wise since they have to report those stats to the ABA. My guess is he or she is AA urm since they are the ones who get the ginormous boosts like that

Sigh, I'm desperately hoping this holds true for GPA as well

RopeisaJoke

Postby RopeisaJoke » Thu May 03, 2012 12:49 pm

Still nothing today? They couldn't have done all the WL movement yesterday, could they have?

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 pm

RopeisaJoke wrote:Still nothing today? They couldn't have done all the WL movement yesterday, could they have?

Who knows, it's possible. I'd hope if they did they could update that on the FAQ. It's also entirely possible they'll be making calls later today or tomorrow, too.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Thu May 03, 2012 3:42 pm

They are still calling. I'm almost mad at how awesome their adcom is -_-. Just when I thought G Town had me in her throes....

They just ask a few questions though, my GPA is below 25/LSAT is 170/AA Male. Sorry I can't be a bit more open right now but I've got other things going such that I'd like to stay somewhat anon up here until the end of the cycle. It is cool that they remember the applicants though on a pretty personal basis, I got called from someone I've talked to a lot over the past few months and she even brought up some of our correspondence. Real cool people; I can't even be mad if I don't get in.

Regardless of where I end up I'm blessed, and I think all of you guys that end up at Mich. will be too; they seem to really care about each applicant. Good luck all, I'll be around.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”