Michigan Waitlist 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Will you stay on the waitlist?

Yes, I want Michigan more than anything.
42
55%
No, I have other choices.
18
24%
Yes, but I won't go if they do accept me.
11
14%
No, I give up on everything forever.
5
7%
 
Total votes: 76

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 11:51 am

Wondering if that's ten new people just for now or if that's an estimate for the rest of the cycle

User avatar
unlicensedpotato
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed May 02, 2012 12:04 pm

Would assume just for now I can't see how they would know for the rest of the cycle this early

User avatar
Cartman
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby Cartman » Wed May 02, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm sure that it's 10 for now - there's no way they could predict the rest of the cycle. There is still a long time from now until when classes start.

User avatar
RopeisaJoke
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby RopeisaJoke » Wed May 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Could it be 10 for Summer Start? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part...

User avatar
FortunaGubernans
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby FortunaGubernans » Wed May 02, 2012 3:42 pm

RopeisaJoke wrote:Could it be 10 for Summer Start? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part...


That's exactly what it is, Rope. Wish! Hope! Dream! Guys, this is exciting. Also nerve-wracking.

User avatar
Cartman
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby Cartman » Wed May 02, 2012 4:11 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:
RopeisaJoke wrote:Could it be 10 for Summer Start? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part...


That's exactly what it is, Rope. Wish! Hope! Dream! Guys, this is exciting. Also nerve-wracking.


+100

jadoreGLACE
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby jadoreGLACE » Wed May 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Just got a call from the admissions office ... They asked if I was still interested (YES!!!-have sent in an LOCI and research award updates in the past 3 weeks), if I was confirmed anywhere else, where else I was on the WL, what my summer plans were, if I was interested in summer/fall start........ I was told that the Office/Dean Z would be in contact with me "very soon regarding the status of [my] application."


I don't know how to feel or what to think!
Do I start looking for apartments in Ann Arbor JIC or do I continue on as a frustrated and confused Queen of the Wait List, 2011-2012?


Thoughts?

Btw, a friend of mine was admitted off the WL by phone this afternoon!

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 4:58 pm

Congrats! Mind sharing stats of you and your friend?

jadoreGLACE
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby jadoreGLACE » Wed May 02, 2012 5:05 pm

3.6?/152, REALLY strong softs/significamt WE/URM female/private liberal arts college


Friend ... Well more like an associate I met at another ASW, he's a URM male/MI native/state school, sorry that's all I know!

atj86
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby atj86 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:15 pm

jadoreGLACE wrote:3.6?/152, REALLY strong softs/significamt WE/URM female/private liberal arts college


Damn, I guess that means they aren't hurting in their LSAT numbers. My chances just shrunk significantly.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 5:16 pm

atj86 wrote:
jadoreGLACE wrote:3.6?/152, REALLY strong softs/significamt WE/URM female/private liberal arts college


Damn, I guess that means they aren't hurting in their LSAT numbers. My chances just shrunk significantly.

Not necessarily. They might just not be happy with their urm yield at his stage. Stay hopeful

User avatar
Cartman
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby Cartman » Wed May 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Congrats jadore!

So it looks like at least 2 of the 10 slots are filled - did anyone else get a call from admissions? I wonder how many more people they called today; they could have filled all the slots or they could make more calls tomorrow...

Edit: Also, jadore: we're you and your friend selected for fall or summer start?

User avatar
FortunaGubernans
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby FortunaGubernans » Wed May 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Cartman wrote:Congrats jadore!

So it looks like at least 2 of the 10 slots are filled - did anyone else get a call from admissions? I wonder how many more people they called today; they could have filled all the slots or they could make more calls tomorrow...

Edit: Also, jadore: we're you and your friend selected for fall or summer start?


I'm guessing they'll be making more calls tomorrow, because from what jadore said, they may be calling multiple people for the same spot and then talking about it further. Of course, they could have made all of those calls already. But I prefer to be hopeful.

Either way, at this point in the cycle applicants get 8-10 days to respond, so even if people get a call, they might refuse. It's not over until the FAQ page says it is!

(And I second the congratulations going around. Good for you, jadore!)

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby hyakku » Wed May 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Wait, they give you eight days to respond with a deposit or something? I haven't really followed the threads since being WLed but this was the only school I intended to ride out and see if I could get any type of aid to make it viable. If you have to respond before you know whether you even qualify for financial aid that seems kind of crazy.

User avatar
FortunaGubernans
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby FortunaGubernans » Wed May 02, 2012 7:28 pm

hyakku wrote:Wait, they give you eight days to respond with a deposit or something? I haven't really followed the threads since being WLed but this was the only school I intended to ride out and see if I could get any type of aid to make it viable. If you have to respond before you know whether you even qualify for financial aid that seems kind of crazy.


The waitlist FAQ has this to say:

IF I GET AN OFFER FROM THE WAITLIST, HOW MUCH TIME WILL I BE GIVEN TO ACCEPT OR DECLINE?
It depends on the timing of the offer, but in general, we try to allow those receiving an offer a week to ten days in which to respond. If we're calling you any time after early August, however, we may have to ask for a shorter response time—and if we're calling you on the first day of orientation, we'll have to ask you for an immediate answer.

Unfortunately, that most likely does mean you'll have to give an answer before you know about aid.

TMC116
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby TMC116 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:49 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
atj86 wrote:
jadoreGLACE wrote:3.6?/152, REALLY strong softs/significamt WE/URM female/private liberal arts college


Damn, I guess that means they aren't hurting in their LSAT numbers. My chances just shrunk significantly.

Not necessarily. They might just not be happy with their urm yield at his stage. Stay hopeful


Yeah but *17* points below median?

jadoreGLACE
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby jadoreGLACE » Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 am

Ive been scouring these forums for months and its so interesting that the same students who work tirelessly to put together a complete and sound application package forget that law school admission committees are looking at people beyond three digit number sequences - and not just one factor (URM, WE, recommendations, career interests, research, sexuality, geographic origin, etc) stands out alone. Honestly if my story isnt the proof you need im not sure what is...and I won't even tell you where else I am considering, but just know that students who fall below medians and percentile markers have just as much value to bring to tier 1, T14, and top 10 law schools.


Sorry I just had to throw this out there! So let's all breathe and let's start defining ourselves as more than just a number.

Latenite987
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby Latenite987 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:36 am

jadoreGLACE wrote:Ive been scouring these forums for months and its so interesting that the same students who work tirelessly to put together a complete and sound application package forget that law school admission committees are looking at people beyond three digit number sequences - and not just one factor (URM, WE, recommendations, career interests, research, sexuality, geographic origin, etc) stands out alone. Honestly if my story isnt the proof you need im not sure what is...and I won't even tell you where else I am considering, but just know that students who fall below medians and percentile markers have just as much value to bring to tier 1, T14, and top 10 law schools.


Sorry I just had to throw this out there! So let's all breathe and let's start defining ourselves as more than just a number.


We are all, indeed, unique snowflakes.

User avatar
FortunaGubernans
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby FortunaGubernans » Thu May 03, 2012 9:41 am

jadoreGLACE wrote:Ive been scouring these forums for months and its so interesting that the same students who work tirelessly to put together a complete and sound application package forget that law school admission committees are looking at people beyond three digit number sequences - and not just one factor (URM, WE, recommendations, career interests, research, sexuality, geographic origin, etc) stands out alone. Honestly if my story isnt the proof you need im not sure what is...and I won't even tell you where else I am considering, but just know that students who fall below medians and percentile markers have just as much value to bring to tier 1, T14, and top 10 law schools.


Sorry I just had to throw this out there! So let's all breathe and let's start defining ourselves as more than just a number.


Well said!

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby hyakku » Thu May 03, 2012 9:59 am

Are you friends stats similar or is he a more traditional applicant?

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu May 03, 2012 11:28 am

TMC116 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
atj86 wrote:
jadoreGLACE wrote:3.6?/152, REALLY strong softs/significamt WE/URM female/private liberal arts college


Damn, I guess that means they aren't hurting in their LSAT numbers. My chances just shrunk significantly.

Not necessarily. They might just not be happy with their urm yield at his stage. Stay hopeful


Yeah but *17* points below median?

A 152 has the same impact on the median as a 163 ( and the same effect on the 25th percentile). A few of the top schools sometimes report their minimum LSAT score and they can be really low and those students are almost always urm. If Michigan isn't getting the urm yield it wants its gonna be willing to dip pretty low numbers wise since they have to report those stats to the ABA. My guess is he or she is AA urm since they are the ones who get the ginormous boosts like that

ricsllscir
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby ricsllscir » Thu May 03, 2012 11:35 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:
TMC116 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
atj86 wrote:
Damn, I guess that means they aren't hurting in their LSAT numbers. My chances just shrunk significantly.

Not necessarily. They might just not be happy with their urm yield at his stage. Stay hopeful


Yeah but *17* points below median?

A 152 has the same impact on the median as a 163 ( and the same effect on the 25th percentile). A few of the top schools sometimes report their minimum LSAT score and they can be really low and those students are almost always urm. If Michigan isn't getting the urm yield it wants its gonna be willing to dip pretty low numbers wise since they have to report those stats to the ABA. My guess is he or she is AA urm since they are the ones who get the ginormous boosts like that



Sigh, I'm desperately hoping this holds true for GPA as well

User avatar
RopeisaJoke
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby RopeisaJoke » Thu May 03, 2012 12:49 pm

Still nothing today? They couldn't have done all the WL movement yesterday, could they have?

User avatar
Cartman
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby Cartman » Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 pm

RopeisaJoke wrote:Still nothing today? They couldn't have done all the WL movement yesterday, could they have?


Who knows, it's possible. I'd hope if they did they could update that on the FAQ. It's also entirely possible they'll be making calls later today or tomorrow, too.

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2012

Postby hyakku » Thu May 03, 2012 3:42 pm

They are still calling. I'm almost mad at how awesome their adcom is -_-. Just when I thought G Town had me in her throes....

They just ask a few questions though, my GPA is below 25/LSAT is 170/AA Male. Sorry I can't be a bit more open right now but I've got other things going such that I'd like to stay somewhat anon up here until the end of the cycle. It is cool that they remember the applicants though on a pretty personal basis, I got called from someone I've talked to a lot over the past few months and she even brought up some of our correspondence. Real cool people; I can't even be mad if I don't get in.

Regardless of where I end up I'm blessed, and I think all of you guys that end up at Mich. will be too; they seem to really care about each applicant. Good luck all, I'll be around.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bloomsday, chili_davis, danid83, Dodocogon, fattsdomino, hamburg, hangold, harmcharm, lawdude31, lillawyer2, mccracal, proteinshake, Smallville, Thelaw23, TudoBem and 40 guests