Advice (no snarky remarks, please.)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
arae13

Advice (no snarky remarks, please.)

Postby arae13 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:49 am

So it's March 1st and deadlines for just about every single school have passed. I've heard back from all but one and with the exception of John Marshall in Chicago, I've been waitlisted at every school (even my own undergraduate institution).

John Marshall has yet to offer me money and has not returned my calls or emails regarding scholarships. Basically, JMLS was never on my radar and I only applied because I'm a Chicago native and want to stay in this market.

As for my numbers, I have a 3.7 GPA, double B.A., outstanding resume and I currently work in law. However, as many of you can probably assume....my LSAT was not good. I took the test twice and only managed to get myself into the low 150s.

So, do I put myself in debt for 90 years to go to a bottom of the barrel school or do I take a year off and retake the LSAT? Also, for those of you who have already taken a year off, how did you manage paying back your undergrad loans and things of that nature?

PARTY

Re: Advice (no snarky remarks, please.)

Postby PARTY » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:51 am

retake.

you'd be foolish to waste your gpa by not taking the test a third time.

wtf is JMLS? if you could hit 170+ then you could be considering T13.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:53 am

Retake, and everyone going to tell you this. You have a decent GPA, and a 160+ will open you up to schools worth going to. Take a leave and work on LSAT stuff, or just work 2 hours 3 days a week during the week, and 3 hours on the weekend until June. Maybe take a class. Just figure out what it is about the test that is making you score low, and fix it. Sure you can go to a crappy school, but think of it this way. If you scored say 168, schools will give you scholarship money, more than I'm guessing you are getting paid a year right now, and your job prospects will be immensely better. It's a crappy thing, because I'm sure you're bright, but LSAT is heavily weighted.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:54 am

As someone who has posted the same topic I will tell you what everyone told me... You really need to retake...retaking for me was always an option if my cycle didn't play out well...however I managed to get some pretty good options....with your lck of options u have to retake..your gpa is way to good to waste on jmls

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:54 am

Also, are there any T1 schools you were waitlisted to?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:56 am

PARTY wrote:retake.

you'd be foolish to waste your gpa by not taking the test a third time.

wtf is JMLS? if you could hit 170+ then you could be considering T13.

+ 1

You could go to a T14 school and have a great career. Don't ruin your life by going to John Marshall.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:57 am

Yeah, you'd be better off keeping your current job than going to JMLS. Don't go there, even for free.

arae13

Postby arae13 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:58 am

dietcoke0 wrote:Also, are there any T1 schools you were waitlisted to?

Only T2, I didn't even try to apply to T1 schools

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:00 pm

You should be able to get it up into the 170s and go to a T14 school. I really mean that. I would find a good tutor who is able to identify which competencies you are currently lacking in. This will cut down on future practice time considerably. If you are in Chicago I'd be willing to free of charge, but I would seriously reach out to members of this site and see if someone can either work with you or refer someone in your town.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Have you taken an LSAT class?

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Guessing Kent and Loyola then are schools you are wanting. I would really really try for the LSAT. With your WE, Northwestern opens up big time with a high 160. I know you may think that's impossible, but I started with a 151, and got a 170 on the real thing. But I wasn't working, and did a crap load of prep (had a copy of every test and several books) Make it your life, and you can do better if you have the drive.

akua1209

Postby akua1209 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:03 pm

Before you retake, do something substantially different to prepare...especially since you've already taken it twice. You wouldn't want to get the same or a worse score.
I would suggest taking a class, unless you really didn't study for the first two and simply studying would make the difference.

My two cents.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:04 pm

Also, even if you don't get a high 160, say a mid 160, you still open yourself up to Loyola and Kent with money, which isn't bad if you are happy with Chicago.

arae13

Postby arae13 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:05 pm

fashiongirl wrote:Have you taken an LSAT class?

Yes. I was PTing 164+ before my class and during/after my class I was PTing in the high 150s. I really believe the course made me overthink and forced me into methods that just didn't work for my way of learning.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:07 pm

There you go, you have it in your to get 164+. I didn't take any sort of course, and just worked my own strategies until I found things that worked. Make it your life.

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:07 pm

arae13 wrote:

Yes. I was PTing 164+ before my class and during/after my class I was PTing in the high 150s. I really believe the course made me overthink and forced me into methods that just didn't work for my way of learning.

In total, how many timed practice tests have you taken?

arae13

Postby arae13 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:09 pm

MachineLemon wrote:
arae13 wrote:

Between studying for the two tests, I'd say I've taken at least 5 all the way through, totally timed. Other preparations included just timing myself on one or two sections at a time.

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:12 pm

arae13 wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:
arae13 wrote:

Between studying for the two tests, I'd say I've taken at least 5 all the way through, totally timed. Other preparations included just timing myself on one or two sections at a time.

That's actually good news. I took about 40, so you have a lot of room to practice and improve.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Same here, I took about 36 completely timed test with extra sections in. You have a lot of extra material to do.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Yeah, just re-take and get a 170+. It's not like that is impossibly hard for the average person. :roll:

ETA: not being snarky to you, and I agree re-taking is the best plan of action, but the arrogance of TLS to make it sound like all it takes to get in the top 1% of test takers is to study is beyond annoying.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:24 pm

The test can be learned. I started in the 50 percentile and made it to the 97 percentile. Even a 160, about the 75 percentile, opens up to some better chances. Maybe you still upset about the KU loss on Saturday :)

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:26 pm

STLMizzou wrote:Yeah, just re-take and get a 170+. It's not like that is impossibly hard for the average person. :roll:

ETA: not being snarky to you, and I agree re-taking is the best plan of action, but the arrogance of TLS to make it sound like all it takes to get in the top 1% of test takers is to study is beyond annoying.

Hence why I asked how many PTs. If OP had said 30+, my advice would have been different. You make a valid point, but raw ability is just too hard to gauge over the internet. The best you can say is here's the score you need ITE--work your ass off.

kakaa001

Postby kakaa001 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:31 pm

Retake.

Listen, I found TWO good paying jobs in my year off. Its possible. Plus, you can select the "pay based on income level" option when repaying student loans in case you end up with a not so sweet job. In fact, I'm considering taking another year off to study even harder for the LSAT and save up money.

Think about it. If you're going to invest in law school, invest in one that actually gives you a shot of getting a job to payback those additional loans.

arae13

Postby arae13 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:48 pm

My sincerest thanks to all of you who have contributed and have given me solid advice rather than beating me down about my test score.

I think you'll all helped me make the decision I've been wanting to make but just haven't been able to do.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Why would we remark about your test score? Just because it isn't as good as it could be doesn't mean you are a bad person or anything. Everyone has struggled with that freaking test. We all were in your shoes. Best advice is just to push yourself to do your best with it, and kill it in June.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”