Waitlisted at Chicago (2012)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kindaklueless

Re: Waitlisted at Chicago (2012)

Postby kindaklueless » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:26 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
kindaklueless wrote:The 900 figure doesn't include people admitted via waitlist?

I'm virtually positive that the number includes the WL.

That's what I thought. QueMellow's analysis would need an acceptance rate exclusive of WL to better gauge WL movement then.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:32 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I'm having trouble finding the yield percentage, but the other numbers look good. I think the most important issue is the extent to which Chicago accepts those 800-900 students off the WL. It seems to me that they use the WL pretty extensively, and with application numbers supposedly being really low this year, I think that bodes well for us, since schools are more likely to have a bit of WL movement than in years like 2009.

I like this optimism. I think you guys are right about the waitlist acceptances being incorporated into that number. So we can't separate out who was accepted via waitlist and who was accepted initially. Boo.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:22 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I'm having trouble finding the yield percentage, but the other numbers look good. I think the most important issue is the extent to which Chicago accepts those 800-900 students off the WL. It seems to me that they use the WL pretty extensively, and with application numbers supposedly being really low this year, I think that bodes well for us, since schools are more likely to have a bit of WL movement than in years like 2009.

I like this optimism. I think you guys are right about the waitlist acceptances being incorporated into that number. So we can't separate out who was accepted via waitlist and who was accepted initially. Boo.

yeah, I doubt that info is available. If someone wants to pull the trigger and call to see how many people have deposited, please report back

boosk

Postby boosk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Finally Jam made this! haha good luck everyone! This will be the final LOCI I need to do... should send it today or tomorrow hopefully.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Checking in - would love to go!

Need to get started on a LOCI. Spend quite a bit of time on the WL essay they said was "optional." Vroom.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:05 pm

Smumps wrote:Checking in - would love to go!

Need to get started on a LOCI. Spend quite a bit of time on the WL essay they said was "optional." Vroom.

what essay?

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:14 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

what essay?

They asked for an optional essay in my email. I wrote that instead of a LOCI.

Here's the part in the ED WL email I got:

(1) You may submit an additional essay discussing the reasons why you are interested in studying law at Chicago and how our curriculum and academic environment will help you achieve your personal and professional goals. Please limit your essay to two pages and submit your essay to admissions@law.uchicago.edu. If you have already submitted a similar essay with your application, you may simply submit a statement of continuing interest and reference the essay you submitted with your application.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:10 pm

justicefishy wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

what essay?

They asked for an optional essay in my email. I wrote that instead of a LOCI.

Here's the part in the ED WL email I got:

(1) You may submit an additional essay discussing the reasons why you are interested in studying law at Chicago and how our curriculum and academic environment will help you achieve your personal and professional goals. Please limit your essay to two pages and submit your essay to admissions@law.uchicago.edu. If you have already submitted a similar essay with your application, you may simply submit a statement of continuing interest and reference the essay you submitted with your application.

oh, good. I've sent that. I was worried you meant something else

boosk

Postby boosk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:27 pm

LOCI's are being addressed to Dean Perry, correct? just wanna make sure I get this right, thanks!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:34 pm

boosk wrote:LOCI's are being addressed to Dean Perry, correct? just wanna make sure I get this right, thanks!

yeah. She may not be the file processor, but I think it's best to address to her

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Last edited by kennethellenparcell on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:19 pm

3.5+ 176 got WL'd ED, ouch.

I'm on the WL and not particularly hopeful. 3.3 175

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:35 am

2014 wrote:3.5+ 176 got WL'd ED, ouch.

I'm on the WL and not particularly hopeful. 3.3 175

177/3.2 got in in early May last year and Chicago isn't big on caring about 25/75s. You never know

ddlem

Postby ddlem » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:44 am

Are any of you guys planning on visiting

RopeisaJoke

Postby RopeisaJoke » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:40 pm

ddlem wrote:Are any of you guys planning on visiting

I visited last week, though I am not sure how much good it will do. I went to the admissions office and met with a guy for all of four minutes. He was not the most helpful, but not dismissive either. He really emphasized that there is no knowing the number of people getting off the WL and that they continue to accept people throughout the summer - nothing ground breaking...

I did sit in on some classes though, which will make good fodder for my LOCI. I have also submitted the additional WL essay, so fingers crossed.

ddlem

Postby ddlem » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:04 pm

RopeisaJoke wrote:
ddlem wrote:Are any of you guys planning on visiting

I visited last week, though I am not sure how much good it will do. I went to the admissions office and met with a guy for all of four minutes. He was not the most helpful, but not dismissive either. He really emphasized that there is no knowing the number of people getting off the WL and that they continue to accept people throughout the summer - nothing ground breaking...

I did sit in on some classes though, which will make good fodder for my LOCI. I have also submitted the additional WL essay, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for responding. I'm planning on visiting in April. Like you said i'm not sure how much good it will do but i'm hoping to have better mererial for my LOCI. Good luck. :)

hellothisisme

Postby hellothisisme » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:56 pm

So, out of curiosity, if you guys got in off the W/L, you'd attend at sticker price?

Just wondering, because I know my chance of getting in off the waitlist is infinitesimally small, and if I did, I'm guessing it would be at sticker price.

I know Chicago is a great school but to me sticker at ANY school is a scary thought.

RopeisaJoke

Postby RopeisaJoke » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:56 pm

I wouldn't only pay sticker for Chicago, if it was an option I'd pay a premium :wink:

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:45 pm

RopeisaJoke wrote:I wouldn't only pay sticker for Chicago, if it was an option I'd pay a premium :wink:

same here. I'd do sticker at any T6

QueMellow

Postby QueMellow » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:14 pm

kindaklueless wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
kindaklueless wrote:The 900 figure doesn't include people admitted via waitlist?

I'm virtually positive that the number includes the WL.

That's what I thought. QueMellow's analysis would need an acceptance rate exclusive of WL to better gauge WL movement then.

Right, and I don't think such data is readily accessible to the likes of you and I.

Edit: Jam already said that. I guess all we can do now is what they did before science -- pray!

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm

People definitely got money off the WL last year, and some were still able to negotiate. I wouldn't assume sticker, but more importantly, if you actually want to go to Chicago I definitely wouldn't withdraw because you think you'll be stuck at sticker. It's at least worth it to wait and see. People got up to $54k off the WL last year.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:42 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:

yeah, I doubt that info is available. If someone wants to pull the trigger and call to see how many people have deposited, please report back

Called and asked how many on w/l, how many they take off, how many accepted so far and they played the usual "every year is different" card. The only question I got answered was whether they ranked students on the w/l, which they don't, so I can't even figure what my chances are.

Either way, I'm a long shot spliter, 170/3.4

Elric

Postby Elric » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Checking in. I fully intend on riding the WL until they accept me...or until the first day of classes.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:04 pm

Sent a LOCI back in January, think I should send another one today/tomorrow/this week? I'm writing one now, but I'm not sure if I should send it. Any thoughts?

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:24 pm

172/3.5

intending to ride it out, unless i get umich or penn

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”