Waitlisted at Chicago (2012)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hellothisisme

Re: Waitlisted at Chicago (2012)

Postby hellothisisme » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:37 pm

luxxe wrote:
hellothisisme wrote:I think I've asked this question before in this thread but I'm wondering if opinions have changed now that the cycle is almost over and many people have deposited at other institutions. Would you pay sticker for Chicago after being accepted off of the waitlist? I keep trying to figure out if Chicago is worth taking on such a monstrous load of debt.

For me, it depends on where you were going before/how much $$ you had and what you want to do. What is your other best option?

Well at this point I'm trying to decide between Chicago at sticker and UCLA with a $105k scholarship (with the goal of ending up in Southern California).

lsdream

Postby lsdream » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:49 pm

hellothisisme wrote:
luxxe wrote:
hellothisisme wrote:I think I've asked this question before in this thread but I'm wondering if opinions have changed now that the cycle is almost over and many people have deposited at other institutions. Would you pay sticker for Chicago after being accepted off of the waitlist? I keep trying to figure out if Chicago is worth taking on such a monstrous load of debt.

For me, it depends on where you were going before/how much $$ you had and what you want to do. What is your other best option?

Well at this point I'm trying to decide between Chicago at sticker and UCLA with a $105k scholarship (with the goal of ending up in Southern California).

UCLA

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:36 pm

lsdream wrote:
hellothisisme wrote:
luxxe wrote:

UCLA

yeah,this. I want Chicago Biglaw, so Chi at sticker beats virtually any other option, but for what you want, UCLA with that money is probably the way to go, especially if it's in-state tuition

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 pm

If I want to go into teaching, is Chicago a vastly better option than Berkeley? (Both at sticker)

CCyeah

Postby CCyeah » Thu May 03, 2012 7:19 pm

jim-green wrote:If I want to go into teaching, is Chicago a vastly better option than Berkeley? (Both at sticker)

Yes.

mustaqbalJD

Postby mustaqbalJD » Thu May 03, 2012 7:43 pm

anyone get an update on the checker today?

zapcaz

Postby zapcaz » Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 pm

mustaqbalJD wrote:anyone get an update on the checker today?

Yes I did... wonder what that means...

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Thu May 03, 2012 7:45 pm

zapcaz wrote:
mustaqbalJD wrote:anyone get an update on the checker today?

Yes I did... wonder what that means...

Me too. Probably just everyone then.

mustaqbalJD

Postby mustaqbalJD » Thu May 03, 2012 7:52 pm

Ahh.. had me for a second.. waitlisted across the board HLS, CLS, UCHI, and Penn.. Can't win, somebody's gonna let me in..

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu May 03, 2012 8:07 pm

mustaqbalJD wrote:Ahh.. had me for a second.. waitlisted across the board HLS, CLS, UCHI, and Penn.. Can't win, somebody's gonna let me in..

Got six wait lists here. Collecting em like Pokemon

zapcaz

Postby zapcaz » Thu May 03, 2012 8:09 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
mustaqbalJD wrote:Ahh.. had me for a second.. waitlisted across the board HLS, CLS, UCHI, and Penn.. Can't win, somebody's gonna let me in..

Got six wait lists here. Collecting em like Pokemon

Ditto?

--ImageRemoved--

CCyeah

Postby CCyeah » Thu May 03, 2012 8:13 pm

It seems like everyone is on at least a few wait-lists this year. I wonder if schools are particularly cautious due to the decreased number of LSAT takers.

I'm on five wait-lists (well four plus a hold which is pretty much equivalent to a wait-list to me ) but I only want Chicago.

mustaqbalJD

Postby mustaqbalJD » Thu May 03, 2012 8:27 pm

CCyeah wrote:It seems like everyone is on at least a few wait-lists this year. I wonder if schools are particularly cautious due to the decreased number of LSAT takers.

I'm on five wait-lists (well four plus a hold which is pretty much equivalent to a wait-list to me ) but I only want Chicago.

Yeah man, it's a really crazy year. Gotta stay optimistic tho, I'm just glad to still be in the running..

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu May 03, 2012 8:51 pm

On the WL reply web form that Chi sent us, there was a blank text box. Anyone write anything in it and what?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 03, 2012 10:11 pm

got the update as well. I wonder what it means. It may just be a response to those that affirmatively filled out the WL response form

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Fri May 04, 2012 1:09 pm

CCyeah wrote:
jim-green wrote:If I want to go into teaching, is Chicago a vastly better option than Berkeley? (Both at sticker)
Yes.
What about Columbia? Would Columbia too be a vastly better school than Berkeley if I eventually wanted to teach?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri May 04, 2012 1:11 pm

jim-green wrote:
CCyeah wrote:
Yes.
What about Columbia? Would Columbia too be a vastly better school than Berkeley if I eventually wanted to teach?

Chicago >>> Columbia >> Berkeley

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Fri May 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
jim-green wrote:
CCyeah wrote:
Yes.

Chicago >>> Columbia >> Berkeley
I am surprised, becuase CLS is rated higher on US News, so wouldn't they be at least equal in terms of producing profs? Does Chi have more of an academic reputation?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri May 04, 2012 2:07 pm

jim-green wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Chicago >>> Columbia >> Berkeley
I am surprised, becuase CLS is rated higher on US News, so wouldn't they be at least equal in terms of producing profs? Does Chi have more of an academic reputation?

US News ranking is not equivalent to academic placement rankings.

Chicago does a better job at getting its students and alumni into academia. This is due to a number of reasons.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Fri May 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
jim-green wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Chicago >>> Columbia >> Berkeley

US News ranking is not equivalent to academic placement rankings. Chicago does a better job at getting its students and alumni into academia. This is due to a number of reasons.
OK, thanks. I was just wondering why you put 3 > signs between Chi and CLS, but only 2 > signs between CLS and Berkeley. To me that means Chi is much much much better than CLS, which is only much much better than Berkeley.

CCyeah

Postby CCyeah » Fri May 04, 2012 2:39 pm

jim-green wrote:OK, thanks. I was just wondering why you put 3 > signs between Chi and CLS, but only 2 > signs between CLS and Berkeley. To me that means Chi is much much much better than CLS, which is only much much better than Berkeley.

If you got into all three, choose CLS (I'm being completely objective here and definitely not trying to take your seat at Chi at all ;)). Seriously though, Chi is probably the best place to go to for academia after Yale.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri May 04, 2012 2:40 pm

C and C are basically the same, but I'd give Chicago a slight edge because of their lean toward academia and smaller class size

RopeisaJoke

Postby RopeisaJoke » Fri May 04, 2012 3:46 pm

So do we think movement will start next week?

hellothisisme

Postby hellothisisme » Fri May 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Just withdrew. Hardest decision ever. I'm sure some people on TLS would consider it a bad decision, but whatever. I hope one of you gets my spot off of the W/L.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri May 04, 2012 8:26 pm

hellothisisme wrote:Just withdrew. Hardest decision ever. I'm sure some people on TLS would consider it a bad decision, but whatever. I hope one of you gets my spot off of the W/L.

for completely selfish reasons, I think this is a good decision

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”