Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which school?

NYLS
2
10%
Baltimore
8
38%
Hofstra
11
52%
 
Total votes: 21

User avatar
apslaw1031
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby apslaw1031 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Hey! Thanks to all of you who gave me advice on my last topic! :)
My situation's changed a little since I got into another school which I am seriously considering.
Before I was trying to decide between NYLS and Baltimore, but now Hofstra's in the mix.

Again, here's a little about me:
- 2.9 UGPA
- 157 LSAT
- URM
- I would like to practice somewhere in Eastern PA, NJ, or Long Island. I wouldn't mind living in Maryland for a while, but I'd rather stay in the PA/NJ/NY area.
- I have a job lined up at a real estate investment firm that is family-owned, so it's guaranteed. I'd love to try to see if I can get a job elsewhere, but if all else fails, I know I can always join my dad's firm.
- Through a variety of institutional and third-party scholarships and grants, I will not have to pay anything out-of-pocket in order to attend law school. I'll also have a stipend for housing/books/fees. Therefore, COL and tuition differences aren't very important in my decision.

I know many of you will suggest that I retake the LSAT and reapply, but I am definitely going to start school this fall.
Which of these schools do you think would be the best option for me to attend?

NB: I'm still waiting to hear from a few more schools, but they're reach schools so I'm almost positive the above list is what I will be choosing from.


Thanks for your help!

User avatar
Jaeger
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby Jaeger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:49 pm

apslaw1031 wrote:Hey! Thanks to all of you who gave me advice on my last topic! :)
My situation's changed a little since I got into another school which I am seriously considering.
Before I was trying to decide between NYLS and Baltimore, but now Hofstra's in the mix.

Again, here's a little about me:
- 2.9 UGPA
- 157 LSAT
- URM
- I would like to practice somewhere in Eastern PA, NJ, or Long Island. I wouldn't mind living in Maryland for a while, but I'd rather stay in the PA/NJ/NY area.
- I have a job lined up at a real estate investment firm that is family-owned, so it's guaranteed. I'd love to try to see if I can get a job elsewhere, but if all else fails, I know I can always join my dad's firm.
- Through a variety of institutional and third-party scholarships and grants, I will not have to pay anything out-of-pocket in order to attend law school. I'll also have a stipend for housing/books/fees. Therefore, COL and tuition differences aren't very important in my decision.

I know many of you will suggest that I retake the LSAT and reapply, but I am definitely going to start school this fall.
Which of these schools do you think would be the best option for me to attend?

NB: I'm still waiting to hear from a few more schools, but they're reach schools so I'm almost positive the above list is what I will be choosing from.


Thanks for your help!



Wrong board. Also, don't go to any of these schools. Also, if you have a guaranteed job, take it and never come back here.



Oh, and since you don't want to hear it, retake.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby dixon02 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Most people on here are not going to tell you to re-take...they're going to tell you not to go to law school. That's good advice. If you're insistent on going, go to Hofstra. Baltimore should not even be on your radar given your desired locale.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby IAFG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Whatever you want. Slim chance at a job in one of NJ, MD or NY.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:02 pm

apslaw1031 wrote:Hey! Thanks to all of you who gave me advice on my last topic! :)
My situation's changed a little since I got into another school which I am seriously considering.
Before I was trying to decide between NYLS and Baltimore, but now Hofstra's in the mix.

Again, here's a little about me:
- 2.9 UGPA
- 157 LSAT
- URM
- I would like to practice somewhere in Eastern PA, NJ, or Long Island. I wouldn't mind living in Maryland for a while, but I'd rather stay in the PA/NJ/NY area.
- I have a job lined up at a real estate investment firm that is family-owned, so it's guaranteed. I'd love to try to see if I can get a job elsewhere, but if all else fails, I know I can always join my dad's firm.
- Through a variety of institutional and third-party scholarships and grants, I will not have to pay anything out-of-pocket in order to attend law school. I'll also have a stipend for housing/books/fees. Therefore, COL and tuition differences aren't very important in my decision.

I know many of you will suggest that I retake the LSAT and reapply, but I am definitely going to start school this fall.
Which of these schools do you think would be the best option for me to attend?

NB: I'm still waiting to hear from a few more schools, but they're reach schools so I'm almost positive the above list is what I will be choosing from.


Thanks for your help!


If school is free there really is no reason not to go. That you have a guaranteed job afterwards is another plus. Between those 3 I would probably pick NYLS reputation-wise, but its somewhat close to Hofstra as far as reputation in NYC goes.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby dixon02 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:13 pm

If school is free there really is no reason not to go. That you have a guaranteed job afterwards is another plus. Between those 3 I would probably pick NYLS reputation-wise, but its somewhat close to Hofstra as far as reputation in NYC goes.

Poor advice. The reason not to go is the three lost years of salary and career advancement to pursue a degree of little value.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby IAFG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:15 pm

dixon02 wrote:
If school is free there really is no reason not to go. That you have a guaranteed job afterwards is another plus. Between those 3 I would probably pick NYLS reputation-wise, but its somewhat close to Hofstra as far as reputation in NYC goes.

Poor advice. The reason not to go is the three lost years of salary and career advancement to pursue a degree of little value.

Well that doesn't really make sense. Why would some other career be better?

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby dixon02 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:20 pm

IAFG wrote:
dixon02 wrote:
If school is free there really is no reason not to go. That you have a guaranteed job afterwards is another plus. Between those 3 I would probably pick NYLS reputation-wise, but its somewhat close to Hofstra as far as reputation in NYC goes.

Poor advice. The reason not to go is the three lost years of salary and career advancement to pursue a degree of little value.

Well that doesn't really make sense. Why would some other career be better?


Because you would have three years of salary vs. three years of no salary and three years of advancement in your field vs. starting off at zero. A law degree from one of these schools just doesn't hold very much value substantially impact future earnings.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:25 pm

dixon02 wrote:If school is free there really is no reason not to go. That you have a guaranteed job afterwards is another plus. Between those 3 I would probably pick NYLS reputation-wise, but its somewhat close to Hofstra as far as reputation in NYC goes.

Poor advice. The reason not to go is the three lost years of salary and career advancement to pursue a degree of little value.


So this individual should get a job doing...what exactly? A job as a paralegal at the parents firm? Even given 3 years of lost salary a lawyer will, over the long run, make much more than a paralegal at pretty much every firm out there. And if the individual isn't a paralegal at their parents firm, then what? The unemployment rate is fairly high. Where exactly do you suppose they will find a well paying job that will, over the long run, pay more than a lawyers salary?

Also a legal degree is incredibly useful and valuable to have no matter what you are planning on doing. Is it worth $200,000? Likely not unless you have a reasonable certainty you can get a job afterwards, but its certainly worth the bargain price of $0.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby rad lulz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:27 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby dixon02 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:33 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
dixon02 wrote:If school is free there really is no reason not to go. That you have a guaranteed job afterwards is another plus. Between those 3 I would probably pick NYLS reputation-wise, but its somewhat close to Hofstra as far as reputation in NYC goes.

Poor advice. The reason not to go is the three lost years of salary and career advancement to pursue a degree of little value.


So this individual should get a job doing...what exactly? A job as a paralegal at the parents firm? Even given 3 years of lost salary a lawyer will, over the long run, make much more than a paralegal at pretty much every firm out there. And if the individual isn't a paralegal at their parents firm, then what? The unemployment rate is fairly high. Where exactly do you suppose they will find a well paying job that will, over the long run, pay more than a lawyers salary?

Also a legal degree is incredibly useful and valuable to have no matter what you are planning on doing. Is it worth $200,000? Likely not unless you have a reasonable certainty you can get a job afterwards, but its certainly worth the bargain price of $0.


Believe it or not, there are all these other fields out there that are not related to law. Given that OP has a college degree and his father owns a real estate company, my guess is he can have himself a job. Also, while this is a tough economic market, it's not nearly as tough for those with college degrees as those without.

A legal degree is not incredibly useful and valuable no matter what you plan on doing, especially not from the schools listed. And the price is not $0 as you suggest. The price is, at a minimum, three years of lost salary. That ignores any retirement/benefits potentially earned, and it ignores the impact three years of experience can have on future salary and earnings.

It's really sad/upsetting to see people who have such a basic, flawed view of law school on here giving poor advice to other people. This stuff is not rocket science.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:07 pm

dixon02 wrote:
NYCLSATTutor wrote:
dixon02 wrote:If school is free there really is no reason not to go. That you have a guaranteed job afterwards is another plus. Between those 3 I would probably pick NYLS reputation-wise, but its somewhat close to Hofstra as far as reputation in NYC goes.

Poor advice. The reason not to go is the three lost years of salary and career advancement to pursue a degree of little value.


So this individual should get a job doing...what exactly? A job as a paralegal at the parents firm? Even given 3 years of lost salary a lawyer will, over the long run, make much more than a paralegal at pretty much every firm out there. And if the individual isn't a paralegal at their parents firm, then what? The unemployment rate is fairly high. Where exactly do you suppose they will find a well paying job that will, over the long run, pay more than a lawyers salary?

Also a legal degree is incredibly useful and valuable to have no matter what you are planning on doing. Is it worth $200,000? Likely not unless you have a reasonable certainty you can get a job afterwards, but its certainly worth the bargain price of $0.


Believe it or not, there are all these other fields out there that are not related to law. Given that OP has a college degree and his father owns a real estate company, my guess is he can have himself a job. Also, while this is a tough economic market, it's not nearly as tough for those with college degrees as those without.

A legal degree is not incredibly useful and valuable no matter what you plan on doing, especially not from the schools listed. And the price is not $0 as you suggest. The price is, at a minimum, three years of lost salary. That ignores any retirement/benefits potentially earned, and it ignores the impact three years of experience can have on future salary and earnings.

It's really sad/upsetting to see people who have such a basic, flawed view of law school on here giving poor advice to other people. This stuff is not rocket science.


NYCLSATTutor wrote:So this individual should get a job doing...what exactly? A job as a paralegal at the parents firm? Even given 3 years of lost salary a lawyer will, over the long run, make much more than a paralegal at pretty much every firm out there. And if the individual isn't a paralegal at their parents firm, then what? The unemployment rate is fairly high. Where exactly do you suppose they will find a well paying job that will, over the long run, pay more than a lawyers salary?

Also a legal degree is incredibly useful and valuable to have no matter what you are planning on doing. Is it worth $200,000? Likely not unless you have a reasonable certainty you can get a job afterwards, but its certainly worth the bargain price of $0.


That applies to most jobs that OP would be able to get with a Bachelors as well.

Everyone likes to talk in extremes. Before the market crashed it was "everyone should go to law school and get guaranteed 160k a year job". Now that the market has crashed its "nobody should go to law school regardless of your circumstances". The reality, in both cases, is a lot more nuanced.

Even if I take your assumption, false as it is, that this will cost OP over the long run, that JD's are next to worthless, etc, etc, there is still a plain utility in having the education that goes along with a JD. Knowing the law, knowing how to critically think, learning the abilities that one does via a legal education are valuable in themselves. They aren't worth paying $200,000 for, but they are certainly worth it if they are free.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby IAFG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:11 pm

OP's JD is clearly NOT worthless since she has a guaranteed legal job upon graduation. Three years of forgone wages folding sweaters at the Gap isn't persuasive.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby dixon02 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:21 pm

IAFG wrote:OP's JD is clearly NOT worthless since she has a guaranteed legal job upon graduation. Three years of forgone wages folding sweaters at the Gap isn't persuasive.


He likely has a guaranteed job now! His father owns a business. Worst case scenario, go work for that business. Best case scenario, use your undergrad degree to find a job. Contrary to the dour cynicism on this site, most college graduates are not folding sweaters at the GAP. They are gainfully employed making a decent salary with benefits. The kinds of jobs you can get with a JD from Hofstra (the ones that exist at least) simply do not pay significantly more than jobs that people with bachelor's degrees can otherwise get.

As for Nylsattutor- how many times do I have to say this? IT'S NOT FREE. It's costing him three years of salary and benefits, at a minimum. If he has a shitty job with shitty benefits, that's still roughly $100,000.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby IAFG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:25 pm

dixon02 wrote:
IAFG wrote:OP's JD is clearly NOT worthless since she has a guaranteed legal job upon graduation. Three years of forgone wages folding sweaters at the Gap isn't persuasive.


He likely has a guaranteed job now! His father owns a business. Worst case scenario, go work for that business. Best case scenario, use your undergrad degree to find a job. Contrary to the dour cynicism on this site, most college graduates are not folding sweaters at the GAP. They are gainfully employed making a decent salary with benefits. The kinds of jobs you can get with a JD from Hofstra (the ones that exist at least) simply do not pay significantly more than jobs that people with bachelor's degrees can otherwise get.

As for Nylsattutor- how many times do I have to say this? IT'S NOT FREE. It's costing him three years of salary and benefits, at a minimum. If he has a shitty job with shitty benefits, that's still roughly $100,000.

Minus the living expenses he has to pay either way. At the end of 3 years OP will almost certainly have less than $5k in savings. At the end of 3 years of law school, same story. Sorry but you're out in left field on this one.

User avatar
suits00
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby suits00 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:28 pm

NYLS for sure if it's free. Living in the city will be an amazing experience.

Can you give some tips on how others can attain free law school with such an average LSAT and below-average GPA? Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby dixon02 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:57 pm

IAFG wrote:
dixon02 wrote:
IAFG wrote:OP's JD is clearly NOT worthless since she has a guaranteed legal job upon graduation. Three years of forgone wages folding sweaters at the Gap isn't persuasive.


He likely has a guaranteed job now! His father owns a business. Worst case scenario, go work for that business. Best case scenario, use your undergrad degree to find a job. Contrary to the dour cynicism on this site, most college graduates are not folding sweaters at the GAP. They are gainfully employed making a decent salary with benefits. The kinds of jobs you can get with a JD from Hofstra (the ones that exist at least) simply do not pay significantly more than jobs that people with bachelor's degrees can otherwise get.

As for Nylsattutor- how many times do I have to say this? IT'S NOT FREE. It's costing him three years of salary and benefits, at a minimum. If he has a shitty job with shitty benefits, that's still roughly $100,000.

Minus the living expenses he has to pay either way. At the end of 3 years OP will almost certainly have less than $5k in savings. At the end of 3 years of law school, same story. Sorry but you're out in left field on this one.


Really? When I was three years out of undergrad, I was making ~55-60k, had been promoted, had put away ~15k, and had an additional ~10k in retirement. Sorry, but I'm not out in left field on this one. I'm someone who has been out in the real world. There are plenty of other people who would give the exact same advice I'm giving, they're just not reading a thread labeled 'NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra.' There's a monumental opportunity cost in giving up three years at the beginning of your career. IMO, that cost is not worth going to Hofstra/NYLS/Baltimore.

Also, as stated above, I have no idea why so many people are voting for Baltimore. For a TTT, it actually places decently, but that only applies if you're willing to set up shop in Baltimore. Given that OP has stated he would rather be in NY/NJ/PA, the choice should be between Hofstra and NYLS.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:02 pm

dixon02 wrote:
IAFG wrote:OP's JD is clearly NOT worthless since she has a guaranteed legal job upon graduation. Three years of forgone wages folding sweaters at the Gap isn't persuasive.


He likely has a guaranteed job now! His father owns a business. Worst case scenario, go work for that business. Best case scenario, use your undergrad degree to find a job. Contrary to the dour cynicism on this site, most college graduates are not folding sweaters at the GAP. They are gainfully employed making a decent salary with benefits. The kinds of jobs you can get with a JD from Hofstra (the ones that exist at least) simply do not pay significantly more than jobs that people with bachelor's degrees can otherwise get.

As for Nylsattutor- how many times do I have to say this? IT'S NOT FREE. It's costing him three years of salary and benefits, at a minimum. If he has a shitty job with shitty benefits, that's still roughly $100,000.


Incorrect. Its costing him 3 years of salary and benefits at a maximum, not a minimum.

What you fail to realize is that its not 3 years of salary and benefits. Its costing him 3 years of profits. That is, his salary minus his cost of living (since OP's CoL is being paid for as well).

If you want to take opportunity costs into consideration, at least do it right.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:10 pm

dixon02 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
dixon02 wrote:
IAFG wrote:OP's JD is clearly NOT worthless since she has a guaranteed legal job upon graduation. Three years of forgone wages folding sweaters at the Gap isn't persuasive.


He likely has a guaranteed job now! His father owns a business. Worst case scenario, go work for that business. Best case scenario, use your undergrad degree to find a job. Contrary to the dour cynicism on this site, most college graduates are not folding sweaters at the GAP. They are gainfully employed making a decent salary with benefits. The kinds of jobs you can get with a JD from Hofstra (the ones that exist at least) simply do not pay significantly more than jobs that people with bachelor's degrees can otherwise get.

As for Nylsattutor- how many times do I have to say this? IT'S NOT FREE. It's costing him three years of salary and benefits, at a minimum. If he has a shitty job with shitty benefits, that's still roughly $100,000.

Minus the living expenses he has to pay either way. At the end of 3 years OP will almost certainly have less than $5k in savings. At the end of 3 years of law school, same story. Sorry but you're out in left field on this one.


Really? When I was three years out of undergrad, I was making ~55-60k, had been promoted, had put away ~15k, and had an additional ~10k in retirement. Sorry, but I'm not out in left field on this one. I'm someone who has been out in the real world. There are plenty of other people who would give the exact same advice I'm giving, they're just not reading a thread labeled 'NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra.' There's a monumental opportunity cost in giving up three years at the beginning of your career. IMO, that cost is not worth going to Hofstra/NYLS/Baltimore.

Also, as stated above, I have no idea why so many people are voting for Baltimore. For a TTT, it actually places decently, but that only applies if you're willing to set up shop in Baltimore. Given that OP has stated he would rather be in NY/NJ/PA, the choice should be between Hofstra and NYLS.


I know multiple people with BA's in NYC who had to put out, literally, hundreds of resumes to get a job. One got a job working...retail at minimum wage. The other only got a job because she is Australian (as is her boss). She works 50 hour weeks at $39k a year. My ex considered herself lucky to get a job at $41k a year. I have a student of mine who went to Yale undergrad. Has interned for about 4 different high level NGO's. She is struggling to find an unpaid internship. She is extremely qualified and can't even find a place that wants her services for free.

I don't know what world you are living in where you think a BA can easily get a $55k a year job, but it sure as hell isn't the present day real one. Merely because you managed to get a 55k a year job however many years ago doesn't mean those jobs are still out there.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby dixon02 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:16 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
dixon02 wrote:
IAFG wrote:OP's JD is clearly NOT worthless since she has a guaranteed legal job upon graduation. Three years of forgone wages folding sweaters at the Gap isn't persuasive.


He likely has a guaranteed job now! His father owns a business. Worst case scenario, go work for that business. Best case scenario, use your undergrad degree to find a job. Contrary to the dour cynicism on this site, most college graduates are not folding sweaters at the GAP. They are gainfully employed making a decent salary with benefits. The kinds of jobs you can get with a JD from Hofstra (the ones that exist at least) simply do not pay significantly more than jobs that people with bachelor's degrees can otherwise get.

As for Nylsattutor- how many times do I have to say this? IT'S NOT FREE. It's costing him three years of salary and benefits, at a minimum. If he has a shitty job with shitty benefits, that's still roughly $100,000.


Incorrect. Its costing him 3 years of salary and benefits at a maximum, not a minimum.

What you fail to realize is that its not 3 years of salary and benefits. Its costing him 3 years of profits. That is, his salary minus his cost of living (since OP's CoL is being paid for as well).

If you want to take opportunity costs into consideration, at least do it right.


No, it's costing him three years of salary and benefits at a minimum. The maximum includes the networking/potential for advancement/promotions that are too variable to quantify but most definitely exist. If you want to discuss opportunity costs, have an idea what they are.

It is true that it's costing him profits, not salary, I should have been more clear. But his CoL is not $0 in law school, his housing is. While housing is the most significant CoL, it is certainly not the only one.

In the end, it's simply not possible to give a perfect answer without knowing about Op's situation. But considering he has a college degree and a connection to a real estate investment firm, I simply do not buy that having a law degree from a TTT is worth three years of time. The only way to know for sure would be to know what salary/benefits package he could currently have versus what he would have coming out of law school. Personally, I'm skeptical the difference is worth the time.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby mattviphky » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Since cost is taken care of, and you have a guaranteed job, I guess who ever has the best athletic program?

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby dixon02 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:25 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
IAFG wrote:OP's JD is clearly NOT worthless since she has a guaranteed legal job upon graduation. Three years of forgone wages folding sweaters at the Gap isn't persuasive.


I know multiple people with BA's in NYC who had to put out, literally, hundreds of resumes to get a job. One got a job working...retail at minimum wage. The other only got a job because she is Australian (as is her boss). She works 50 hour weeks at $39k a year. My ex considered herself lucky to get a job at $41k a year. I have a student of mine who went to Yale undergrad. Has interned for about 4 different high level NGO's. She is struggling to find an unpaid internship. She is extremely qualified and can't even find a place that wants her services for free.

I don't know what world you are living in where you think a BA can easily get a $55k a year job, but it sure as hell isn't the present day real one. Merely because you managed to get a 55k a year job however many years ago doesn't mean those jobs are still out there.


I didn't say $55k out of undergrad. I said I made roughly that three years out of undergrad. And the world I live in is one where OP has a father who owns a real estate investment firm.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby IAFG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:25 pm

dixon02 wrote:
Really? When I was three years out of undergrad, I was making ~55-60k, had been promoted, had put away ~15k, and had an additional ~10k in retirement. Sorry, but I'm not out in left field on this one. I'm someone who has been out in the real world. There are plenty of other people who would give the exact same advice I'm giving, they're just not reading a thread labeled 'NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra.' There's a monumental opportunity cost in giving up three years at the beginning of your career. IMO, that cost is not worth going to Hofstra/NYLS/Baltimore.

Also, as stated above, I have no idea why so many people are voting for Baltimore. For a TTT, it actually places decently, but that only applies if you're willing to set up shop in Baltimore. Given that OP has stated he would rather be in NY/NJ/PA, the choice should be between Hofstra and NYLS.

I've been out in the real world too, but I know that someone with a shit degree and a 3.0 looking for a gig ITE ain't gonna be making $60k. What is this, 2006? (Which, incidentally, is when I graduated, made decent money, and managed to sock some of it away... then lost most of it in the crash).

But ok fine, OP does it your way, paralegals for $30-50k a year for 3 years, and in 10 years still is making shit wages. Or, OP gets her JD, inherits the family business, and has a real fucking future.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:42 pm

dixon02 wrote:
NYCLSATTutor wrote:
IAFG wrote:OP's JD is clearly NOT worthless since she has a guaranteed legal job upon graduation. Three years of forgone wages folding sweaters at the Gap isn't persuasive.


I know multiple people with BA's in NYC who had to put out, literally, hundreds of resumes to get a job. One got a job working...retail at minimum wage. The other only got a job because she is Australian (as is her boss). She works 50 hour weeks at $39k a year. My ex considered herself lucky to get a job at $41k a year. I have a student of mine who went to Yale undergrad. Has interned for about 4 different high level NGO's. She is struggling to find an unpaid internship. She is extremely qualified and can't even find a place that wants her services for free.

I don't know what world you are living in where you think a BA can easily get a $55k a year job, but it sure as hell isn't the present day real one. Merely because you managed to get a 55k a year job however many years ago doesn't mean those jobs are still out there.


I didn't say $55k out of undergrad. I said I made roughly that three years out of undergrad. And the world I live in is one where OP has a father who owns a real estate investment firm.


Other than the individual who cannot even land an unpaid internship, all of those people have been out of undergrad for 5+ years.

If we are presuming that OP would have a job at his fathers firm as either 1) A lawyer - 3 years profits or 2 ) A paralegal, its not exactly a hard choice to figure out which one will be more profitable over the long run.

And yes its 3 year salaries + profits at a maximum. You are assuming OP can get a job as a paralegal at his fathers firm. Potential for advancement would be included in salary (and is significantly lower as a paralegal than as an attorney). Also paralegals don't exactly do a lot of networking at their jobs.

User avatar
apslaw1031
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Help me, please! :) NYLS/Baltimore/Hofstra

Postby apslaw1031 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to respond.

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
dixon02 wrote:
IAFG wrote:OP's JD is clearly NOT worthless since she has a guaranteed legal job upon graduation. Three years of forgone wages folding sweaters at the Gap isn't persuasive.


He likely has a guaranteed job now! His father owns a business. Worst case scenario, go work for that business. Best case scenario, use your undergrad degree to find a job. Contrary to the dour cynicism on this site, most college graduates are not folding sweaters at the GAP. They are gainfully employed making a decent salary with benefits. The kinds of jobs you can get with a JD from Hofstra (the ones that exist at least) simply do not pay significantly more than jobs that people with bachelor's degrees can otherwise get.

As for Nylsattutor- how many times do I have to say this? IT'S NOT FREE. It's costing him three years of salary and benefits, at a minimum. If he has a shitty job with shitty benefits, that's still roughly $100,000.



Incorrect. Its costing him 3 years of salary and benefits at a maximum, not a minimum.

What you fail to realize is that its not 3 years of salary and benefits. Its costing him 3 years of profits. That is, his salary minus his cost of living (since OP's CoL is being paid for as well).

If you want to take opportunity costs into consideration, at least do it right.





Sorry, I should have been more specific.
The fact that it's my dad's firm means that I'll have a job once I graduate, but I'd still need a JD to be able to work there unless I want to be a paralegal or secretary. Basically, as long as I pass the bar, I know I won't be jobless.
The "She'll lose out on three years of salary and benefits" argument makes little to no sense considering the fact that I wouldn't be able to have this job without a law degree. I could potentially work as a secretary at this firm, but why would I give up my current opportunity in order to make $10-15/hr for the rest of my life?
It's a law firm (that solely deals with real estate investors), not a firm of real estate investors themselves.
So it's not a random business that I could just stroll into.
I guess some of you are right when you say that it doesn't matter because of my situation, but I'd still like to go someplace where I could be happy.
I'm asking because I really just don't know enough about these schools to be able to make any judgments or decide which one I should go to. My parents basically only know about the schools my dad and his brothers went to, so they weren't much help either.







suits00 wrote:NYLS for sure if it's free. Living in the city will be an amazing experience.

Can you give some tips on how others can attain free law school with such an average LSAT and below-average GPA? Any advice would be appreciated greatly.





As for the funding, I contacted different organizations directly and set up in-person meetings (I think meeting in person instead of just making a request in writing or on the phone made a huge difference).
I'm a member of the LGBT community and have done some work promoting tolerance so I wrote to a bunch of organizations that could give me some funding.
I also am on the board of a not-for-profit that works to raise awareness in adolescents about addiction and recovery.
Therefore, I did the same with a few organizations that support people who are in recovery from substance abuse.
And finally, there're a few organizations out there that like to help out Hispanic students.
It took a lot of fishing and schmoozing, but I managed to get everything worked out.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”