I would appreciate advice...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
linsanity87

I would appreciate advice...

Postby linsanity87 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 pm

So, my numbers are 3.75, 153 lsat. I took a course and was PTing in the high 150s/low 160s and as you can see, did much worse on test day...

I'm 25 and would really prefer to go to law school in the fall and not wait. I know most people will tell me to retake and wait it out another year which is an option for me. I'm currently a paralegal at a large firm and could stay another year at my job, even though I really don't want to.

I'm originally from Westchester County in NY and was accepted to Pace Law. I have ties to the area and know some alumni. I'm not really interested in big law. I would like to practice in NY (ideally NYC or surrounding areas). I could live at home and save a lot of money while attending school and could go this fall.

My question is, does Pace make sense for me? Or is retaking and sitting it out this cycle basically the only real option? Thanks in advance.

flem

Re: I would appreciate advice...

Postby flem » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:42 pm

linsanity87 wrote:So, my numbers are 3.75, 153 lsat. I took a course and was PTing in the high 150s/low 160s and as you can see, did much worse on test day...

I'm 25 and would really prefer to go to law school in the fall and not wait. I know most people will tell me to retake and wait it out another year which is an option for me. I'm currently a paralegal at a large firm and could stay another year at my job, even though I really don't want to.

I'm originally from Westchester County in NY and was accepted to Pace Law. I have ties to the area and know some alumni. I'm not really interested in big law. I would like to practice in NY (ideally NYC or surrounding areas). I could live at home and save a lot of money while attending school and could go this fall.

My question is, does Pace make sense for me? Or is retaking and sitting it out this cycle basically the only real option? Thanks in advance.

I'm not trolling you, I promise. Pace is objectively terrible in almost every way. Don't waste a 3.75 GPA on Pace. I'd kick a baby into a woodchipper for your GPA right now.

Wait a year and retake. If you really want to stay in NYC and don't care about biglaw then look at CUNY if you MUST go this fall, because it's at least cheap.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:44 pm

Retake, don't waste your gpa

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:46 pm

flem wrote:I'd kick a baby into a woodchipper for your GPA right now.

Wait a year and retake.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:47 pm

That's a beautiful GPA that could help you get into some of the very best schools in the country. Do you really want to look back and wonder "what if I'd gone to Columbia/NYU/Chicago/Michigan?" just because you "preferred" to not wait a year?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:48 pm

flem wrote:I'm not trolling you, I promise. Pace is objectively terrible in almost every way. Don't waste a 3.75 GPA on Pace. I'd kick a baby into a woodchipper for your GPA right now.

Wait a year and retake. If you really want to stay in NYC and don't care about biglaw then look at CUNY if you MUST go this fall, because it's at least cheap.

+1

Just to make this simple for you: everyone here is going to tell you to retake, for exactly the reasons listed above.

You have a job you can cope with. Even a 1-2 point improvement would be worth waiting, since that would likely be enough to get you scholarship money.

Also, it is likely that the economy will have improved a little while you wait.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 pm

flem wrote:
linsanity87 wrote:So, my numbers are 3.75, 153 lsat. I took a course and was PTing in the high 150s/low 160s and as you can see, did much worse on test day...

I'm not trolling you, I promise. Pace is objectively terrible in almost every way. Don't waste a 3.75 GPA on Pace. I'd kick a baby into a woodchipper for your GPA right now.

I also think you should retake, but you shouldn't be looking at CUNY unless you want to do public interest law.

specialsnowflake

Postby specialsnowflake » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
flem wrote:I'm not trolling you, I promise. Pace is objectively terrible in almost every way. Don't waste a 3.75 GPA on Pace. I'd kick a baby into a woodchipper for your GPA right now.

+1

Just to make this simple for you: everyone here is going to tell you to retake, for exactly the reasons listed above.

You have a job you can cope with. Even a 1-2 point improvement would be worth waiting, since that would likely be enough to get you scholarship money.

Also, it is likely that the economy will have improved a little while you wait.

This.

Your GPA is too good to waste on not waiting a year and trying to improve your LSAT. Worst case scenario: you don't improve and save a years worth of income. Best case: you kill the retake and are looking at T14

linsanity87

Postby linsanity87 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll probably be asking LSAT related questions from now on....lol I really need to improve.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:54 pm

linsanity87 wrote:Thanks everyone. I'll probably be asking LSAT related questions from now on....lol I really need to improve.

There are several great threads to help you with a self-study plan. Check out the stickied threads at the top of the LSAT forum.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:55 pm

i like how well this thread went.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:56 pm

linsanity87 wrote:Thanks everyone. I'll probably be asking LSAT related questions from now on....lol I really need to improve.

Are you getting perfect scores on the LG sections? If not, keep studying. Almost anyone can get perfect scores on the LG sections with enough study (although, if you're like me it might take a very, very long time).

unitedfrutopia

Postby unitedfrutopia » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:24 pm

I see Pace Law grads everywhere in Westchester. But they all graduated in the 80s and 90s. So unless your mom is the Westchester DA or your family has a firm in White Plains, avoid this high priced school with few job prospects. Retake for 168+ and apply to the t14, or at least 166+ for Fordham/BU/BC/full ride at Cardozo. If you can't pull that off don't go to law school.
Last edited by unitedfrutopia on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:25 pm

I disagree a great deal with the suggestions people are making here. No doubt the GPA is solid, and it would appear as though that GPA with your LSAT would yield acceptances from better schools than Pace, not to mention the fact that your current work experience should help (at least a little)

Sure, we'd all love to retake the LSAT til the cows come home in hopes of getting a 180 but it's just not realistic. Are you sure you want to spend a year of your life doing something that you don't seem to want to do in the HOPES that you improve your score? Had you already been practicing a lot before you took the LSAT? If no, maybe you should give it a shot, but if yes, I don't see why people here are so optimistic that you can reach a score that will yield T-14 (!!!) acceptances. It also matters a great deal which practice tests you're using. Is it Kaplan or Princeton Review? These (and a lot of other practice tests) dont use REAL tests from the exam. I had a friend in a similar situation to yours who was regularly testing in the low 160's with real old exams (courtesy TestMasters) he ran out of them, took a Kaplan test, and was obviously elated when he scored a 170. Upon taking the actual exam again he scored.... a 162.

If I were you I'd focus on getting my degree with as little debt as possible right now. Unless you really don't value that year of your life, the risk far outweighs the reward in my opinion.

flem

Postby flem » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:27 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:If I were you I'd focus on getting my degree with as little debt as possible right now. Unless you really don't value that year of your life, the risk far outweighs the reward in my opinion.

Do you value the next 50 years of your life though?

unitedfrutopia

Postby unitedfrutopia » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:28 pm

OP should go to CUNY if no retake.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:31 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:I disagree a great deal with the suggestions people are making here. No doubt the GPA is solid, and it would appear as though that GPA with your LSAT would yield acceptances from better schools than Pace, not to mention the fact that your current work experience should help (at least a little)

Sure, we'd all love to retake the LSAT til the cows come home in hopes of getting a 180 but it's just not realistic. Are you sure you want to spend a year of your life doing something that you don't seem to want to do in the HOPES that you improve your score? Had you already been practicing a lot before you took the LSAT? If no, maybe you should give it a shot, but if yes, I don't see why people here are so optimistic that you can reach a score that will yield T-14 (!!!) acceptances. It also matters a great deal which practice tests you're using. Is it Kaplan or Princeton Review? These (and a lot of other practice tests) dont use REAL tests from the exam. I had a friend in a similar situation to yours who was regularly testing in the low 160's with real old exams (courtesy TestMasters) he ran out of them, took a Kaplan test, and was obviously elated when he scored a 170. Upon taking the actual exam again he scored.... a 162.

If I were you I'd focus on getting my degree with as little debt as possible right now. Unless you really don't value that year of your life, the risk far outweighs the reward in my opinion.

Kaplan uses real tests, as does Princeton Review. This is just one of the many things that are problematic with your analysis...

UMiamiCane

Postby UMiamiCane » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:33 pm

I was in a similar situation a year ago. I scored a 158 on my first attempt, but my GPA is not nearly as good as yours. I've been employed at my current job for almost 7 years (six years then), and I was ready for change- and ready for law school. But, I decided to take the February LSAT and wait and apply this year. I scored a 168 my second time and now I have acceptances to WUSTL with $$ and UF with $$. I would not have gotten into either last year- and if I did get into UF- I'd be paying full tuition, instead of about half now. Also, in that time, I've been able to really take my time researching schools and law school in general, and my husband and I were able to pay off our cars. This last year has flown by, and I'm so glad I re-took the LSAT and waited.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:54 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:I was in a similar situation a year ago. I scored a 158 on my first attempt, but my GPA is not nearly as good as yours. I've been employed at my current job for almost 7 years (six years then), and I was ready for change- and ready for law school. But, I decided to take the February LSAT and wait and apply this year. I scored a 168 my second time and now I have acceptances to WUSTL with $$ and UF with $$. I would not have gotten into either last year- and if I did get into UF- I'd be paying full tuition, instead of about half now. Also, in that time, I've been able to really take my time researching schools and law school in general, and my husband and I were able to pay off our cars. This last year has flown by, and I'm so glad I re-took the LSAT and waited.

This is hopeful for me. ( I got a 158 and am contemplating retaking even though I have good offers.) Any advice for how you studied the second time?

UMiamiCane

Postby UMiamiCane » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Jaeger wrote:
This is hopeful for me. ( I got a 158 and am contemplating retaking even though I have good offers.) Any advice for how you studied the second time?

My main problem on the test was time management, so I took way more practice tests the second time around. And I also followed the study schedule on this blog: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/p/month-ls ... plans.html
I think I used the two month study guide.
I felt like I had a lot more direction in my studying the second time.

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:31 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:I disagree a great deal with the suggestions people are making here. No doubt the GPA is solid, and it would appear as though that GPA with your LSAT would yield acceptances from better schools than Pace, not to mention the fact that your current work experience should help (at least a little)

Kaplan uses real tests, as does Princeton Review. This is just one of the many things that are problematic with your analysis...

Your response was as misleading as an oversight I made in my comment. I should've clarified that Kaplan's COURSES use real questions, but their retail books frequently (perhaps always?) do not. And those retail books, the ones loaded with "practice" exams, are only going to confuse someone about their true LSAT scoring ability.

skolks

Postby skolks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Since the decision has been made, I would like to take out some waiting anxiety out on this thread and take an opportunity to troll:

OMG GO TO PACE! TOTALLY! IT'S THE BEST EVER AND YOUR GPA IS HORRIBLE ANYWAY SO JUST QUIT WHILE YOU'RE AHEAD!

Thanks for that. Really needed it... but really... retake please, this way i can be jealous of you when you're at a T-14 next year

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”