Waitlists gone WILD! Does anyone have any words of wisdom?? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nammertat

Silver

Waitlists gone WILD! Does anyone have any words of wisdom??

Post by Nammertat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Going into this process I knew I'd be a very tough admit at any T-20 school.... because my LSAT was a flop. I've got some very interesting softs & a 4.0 GPA, and thus am getting attention from schools all over the board.

Admit: W&L / Oregon / Loyola / Indiana-Bloomington
WL: Penn/UVA/GW/U Minnesota/UC Davis/Notre Dame/U Washington/GMason/American/Cardozo
Deny: Chicago

I've done quite a bit of research across the waitlist topics, however have not really seen anyone in my situation; 66% of my apps in waitlist! Does ANYONE have any experience or know of people who have been here, and if so how did things turn out??

benburns214

Bronze

Re: Waitlists gone WILD! Does anyone have any words of wisdom??

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Nammertat wrote:Going into this process I knew I'd be a very tough admit at any T-20 school.... because my LSAT was a flop. I've got some very interesting softs & a 4.0 GPA, and thus am getting attention from schools all over the board.

WL: Penn/UVA/GW/U Minnesota/UC Davis/Notre Dame/U Washington/GMason/American/Cardozo

I've done quite a bit of research across the waitlist topics, however have not really seen anyone in my situation; 66% of my apps in waitlist! Does ANYONE have any experience or know of people who have been here, and if so how did things turn out??
At this point there is really only so much you can do. And that is send LOCI's to all of them... it'll probably take a while, but may ultimately be worth it. Then you just sit back and wait... update schools if something worthy comes up, but mostly just wait for the admit/deny in April/May.

You can also ask them to please notify you of a decision prior to when a seat deposit is due in one of the schools you have been accepted too. That way you dont waste 500 bucks. But that is all at your discretion.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:48 pm

A friend of mine and I were pretty heavily waitlisted (for opposite reasons, I had a low GPA, he had a low LSAT). I will say that all you need for is one of Penn/UVA to bite. That being said, the odds of getting off any given waitlist are pretty low (I only snagged a single T14).

I would hope for UVA/Penn to bite while studying for an LSAT retake. Maybe the June test might help you get off a waitlist or get you a large scholly, but if it doesn't at least you can reapply.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:01 pm

bk187 wrote:A friend of mine and I were pretty heavily waitlisted (for opposite reasons, I had a low GPA, he had a low LSAT). I will say that all you need for is one of Penn/UVA to bite. That being said, the odds of getting off any given waitlist are pretty low (I only snagged a single T14).

I would hope for UVA/Penn to bite while studying for an LSAT retake. Maybe the June test might help you get off a waitlist or get you a large scholly, but if it doesn't at least you can reapply.
I'm definitely up for attending ANY of the T14's! I did retake the LSAT the past October, and came out almost identical the second time through. Simply put, I SUCK at LSAT on test day.

I've been sending LOCI's out to keep my file updated, but aside from that don't have a whole lot more I can do!

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Nammertat wrote:Going into this process I knew I'd be a very tough admit at any T-20 school.... because my LSAT was a flop. I've got some very interesting softs & a 4.0 GPA, and thus am getting attention from schools all over the board.

You.are.my.twin.

Except I obviously aimed too high and, as of right now, 85% of my decisions are waitlists...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Nammertat wrote:I'm definitely up for attending ANY of the T14's! I did retake the LSAT the past October, and came out almost identical the second time through. Simply put, I SUCK at LSAT on test day.
I'd take it a 3rd time in June. You have little to lose (some of your time and $100 is pretty much nothing) and a lot to gain even if the odds aren't very high that you'll improve. If your score stays the same then you're in the same position. If it goes up, great, things will likely be different.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:29 pm

OP: Retake in June or October. If this is your third retake, I'd suggest October and really taking this year to slowly study and figure your stuff out. October still gives you the chance to ED if necessary, and since you've already done one cycle, most of your essays/resumes/addendums need only be revised and slightly reworked.

With that GPA, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by retaking. Do it.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:35 pm

dproduct wrote:OP: Retake in June or October. If this is your third retake, I'd suggest October and really taking this year to slowly study and figure your stuff out. October still gives you the chance to ED if necessary, and since you've already done one cycle, most of your essays/resumes/addendums need only be revised and slightly reworked.

With that GPA, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by retaking. Do it.
*sigh......

I think you guys are right... I'm going to register for the June test. I've spoken with my Princeton Review prof and they're going to let me take another prep class free of charge. I just don't think I can look back and say I was too lazy to give it a shot.

Thank you TLSers for the push!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:40 pm

Retake. You have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. You have yet to gain acceptance into a T-13 with your current stats. With a retake and your GPA though, you could potentially get good $$$ from a great school.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:24 pm

So I've decided to take the June LSAT, but still have some schools to hear back from (Berkeley / Stanford / USC /W&M) All of which would be enough to change the game significantly. I'm considering sending an update saying i'm going to retake the LSAT, but unsure how this would be viewed before getting a decision of any kind. Thoughts??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”