Fordham/Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swimmerjoey88

Fordham/Washington and Lee

Postby swimmerjoey88 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:17 am

So I'm between my dream school (Fordham) and Washington and Lee. I got a full ride to Washington and Lee and I am absolutely excited about not having a ton of loans post-law, but I've always wanted to practice in New York and absolutely plan on taking the New York Bar post-graduation. Should I go to New York and take advantage of the incredible alumni network/starting salary of Fordham, or should I go with the full ride of W/L and pass the bar in NY and try to land in a firm in Manhattan? Your advice actually seriously impacts where I will go.

lawhaus

Re: Fordham/Washington and Lee

Postby lawhaus » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:31 am

many of the commenters will be 0L, so the advice might not be the best nor wisest.
have you tried asking in the "ask a law student" forum?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:43 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Wed May 29, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:35 am

You should have received a packet of employment information from W&L, including who came to their OCIs the past 3 years. If I remember correctly from when I looked at it a couple weeks ago, there were a few firms that came from NY. Out of 125 grads, only about 5 people go to practice in NY each year though it seems.

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:03 pm

generally fordham is not worth sticker...if you arr taking out loans for living w&L is insanely cheap and obviously Manhattan is quite the opposite

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Here is a link to some employment stats W&L emailed me after I was accepted.

http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/ninemonthdata.asp

IMO...I dont think I would pass up a full ride to W&L without at least a generous offer from Fordham...especially with the VERY LOW col in lexingtion you could come out of law school owing 10-15k after 3 years which is huge in the debt equation and by these stats it seems W&L fairs well in NYC so..

and i dont know how good Fordham is with negotiating but you figure a full ride at a school that is tied in the ranking with Fordham should gain you some leverage

evanmd

Postby evanmd » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:34 pm

For the record Im a 2L at W&L. My advice, come here. While W&L is much stronger in the south, we do very well in New York City compared to any other place in the north. A significant number of graduates each year go there, so we have a strong alumni network. To me, sticker at Fordham vs. free W&L is an easy choice.

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:17 pm

evanmd wrote:For the record Im a 2L at W&L. My advice, come here. While W&L is much stronger in the south, we do very well in New York City compared to any other place in the north. A significant number of graduates each year go there, so we have a strong alumni network. To me, sticker at Fordham vs. free W&L is an easy choice.

I agree, completely.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Is your dream worth $200k+?
Think about what that means for a sec.
That's more than most people earn in a year, including some biglaw associates
Hell, its a multiple of what many families make

I'm one of the first to boost Fordham against the T14 or don't go mentality that runs through this school, but to take it at sticker when you've got a full scholly at an equivalent school?

You could go to W&L, move to NY, take the bar and spend a year looking for a job and be better off financially (although, you should try OCI first)
Unless you're choosing between a TTT and a T14, you should never pay sticker over s full ride

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:54 pm

dingbat wrote:Is your dream worth $200k+?
Think about what that means for a sec.
That's more than most people earn in a year, including some biglaw associates
Hell, its a multiple of what many families make

I'm one of the first to boost Fordham against the T14 or don't go mentality that runs through this school, but to take it at sticker when you've got a full scholly at an equivalent school?

You could go to W&L, move to NY, take the bar and spend a year looking for a job and be better off financially (although, you should try OCI first)
Unless you're choosing between a TTT and a T14, you should never pay sticker over s full ride

I agree; expert advice.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:03 pm

Why is Fordham your dream school? These are very different school locations/environments. I would not go to Fordham at sticker expecting to get NY biglaw to save your financial future. Maybe it would help to explain why Fordham is what you think you want.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:48 pm

Is this Fordham at sticker?

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:17 am

ThreeRivers wrote:Is this Fordham at sticker?

If yes, W & L and it isn't even close.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:19 am

Your dream school is the 3rd ranked school in a 5 mile radius?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:30 am

I don't think Fordham is worth sticker. On the other hand, Fordham gives you a much better chance at biglaw in NYC than W&L. But, if you strike out of NYC biglaw at Fordham, you are pretty screwed debt wise.

I think a lot depends on how bad you want to work in NY after graduation (and how much of a risk you will take for doing that). I am much more debt-averse, so I would say W&L if these had to be your only two choices (but then realize you might not end up in NY). With that said though, what are your stats? While these aren't terrible options, your options could be much, much better if you took a year off, retook the LSAT, and reapplied.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:56 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:if you strike out of NYC biglaw at Fordham, you are pretty screwed debt wise.

this is a little inaccurate.
NYVC midlaw system six figures as well. Slightly less than half the class makes $145k+.
Realistically, approximately 2/3* of the class should be able to find a decent job and be able to pay off their debt (albeit without becoming super rich)
However, striking out at Fordham (which i estimate as about 1/3rd of the class) is a real possibility and then you're royally screwed at sticker (a quarter million dollars!)

*for the class of 2010 approximately 50% of students got NY biglaw, NY midlaw or a clerkship.
While it's hard to estimate how many self-select into PI and government work, based on available information, I infer approximately 2/3rd as a fair proportion.

99% of graduates responded to employment information. 7% are unemployed and 15% are employed in positions funded by the school. Somewhere else on this board a fellow TLSer explained that s/he is one of those. Said person explained that s/he has a PI job waiting but the job requires bar passage and the school is providing temporary employment until said graduate passes the bar and starts his/her PI position. I know little about such matters myself so please interpret as you see fit

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”