Most Decisions Out Already?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kennethellenparcell

Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:11 am

I can't imagine I'm the only one in this boat (or maybe I am). I applied in mid-December and I've only heard from 3 out of the 11 schools I applied to. Most of these are t14, and it seems like most decisions are already out.

Anyone know if it's true that at this point - it would waitlist/reject if we haven't heard back?

shroeder

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby shroeder » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:24 am

kennethellenparcell wrote:I can't imagine I'm the only one in this boat (or maybe I am). I applied in mid-December and I've only heard from 3 out of the 11 schools I applied to. Most of these are t14, and it seems like most decisions are already out.

Anyone know if it's true that at this point - it would waitlist/reject if we haven't heard back?

No actually they are just getting going on decisions, so try to relax and enjoy the ride. (not easy for me either). A month from now if you're still in the same situation then I would be concerned. The best thing is not to try to analyze this too much, adcomms are people too, and while they certainly follow the numbers, miracles can happen. Good luck!!

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:43 am

shroeder wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:I can't imagine I'm the only one in this boat (or maybe I am). I applied in mid-December and I've only heard from 3 out of the 11 schools I applied to. Most of these are t14, and it seems like most decisions are already out.

No actually they are just getting going on decisions, so try to relax and enjoy the ride. (not easy for me either). A month from now if you're still in the same situation then I would be concerned. The best thing is not to try to analyze this too much, adcomms are people too, and while they certainly follow the numbers, miracles can happen. Good luck!!

Not true for every school. Many of the T14 have a large portion of their class filled. There are still spots left but they surely aren't "just getting going." They've been admitting people for 3 months and most of the top applicants apply early.

By this point last year, Michigan was basically done. They waitlisted nearly everyone left and then only took 2 people off the list right before classes started.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:10 am

Well shit.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:15 am

It really depends on the school. If you're worried, I would dig through LSN to see when people get admitted for the schools you're look at before I start to worry. Each school in the T14 is different in how they admit applicants.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:17 am

This is a crude way of measuring, but if you look at the numbers of acceptances for t14 schools reported on Lawschoolnumbers.com, some schools have already accepted almost as many applicants this cycle as they did last cycle.

Indeed, Duke seems to have accepted MORE applicants at this point than they admitted in total last cycle. And that is not because more people are using LSN - last year there were 8 pages of applicants for Duke, so far this year there are only 6 pages.

Of course, this is at best a very imprecise way of measuring.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:19 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:This is a crude way of measuring, but if you look at the numbers of acceptances for t14 schools reported on Lawschoolnumbers.com, some schools have already accepted almost as many applicants this cycle as they did last cycle.

Indeed, Duke seems to have accepted MORE applicants at this point than they admitted in total last cycle. And that is not because more people are using LSN - last year there were 8 pages of applicants for Duke, so far this year there are only 6 pages.

this is true, but as a counterpoint, many people only update their LSN profiles at the end of the cycle

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:21 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:This is a crude way of measuring, but if you look at the numbers of acceptances for t14 schools reported on Lawschoolnumbers.com, some schools have already accepted almost as many applicants this cycle as they did last cycle.

this is true, but as a counterpoint, many people only update their LSN profiles at the end of the cycle

Which would mean that there are actually more acceptances than currently listed on LSN?

Edit: to clarify - of course there are more than are listed on LSN, but I mean, there are actually more than the current sample on LSN would seem to indicate, relative to last year's sample.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 am

I'm interested in this as well. I applied mid OCTOBER and some schools still have told me nothing.

I'm rather confused because UCLA for example has sent out both waitlists and rejections but I have heard nothing. So at this point what is one to assume? Should Kenparcell and I be expecting more movement now that most of their deadlines have passed?

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:36 am

So from a quick look at LSN it looks like NYU and Columbia come out with WL decisions in March and April. Michigan should be releasing a fair amount of WLs at the end of this month, as well as in the middle of March and early April. Penn as well.

Gonna get killed in FR by Berk today. Also you're welcome in advance to UVA and Harvard (lolz with my numbers) for helping you with your yield.

ETA: I'll probably try to crunch some numbers later tonight from LSN. As if I could be any more neurotic about this process.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:38 am

fingerscrossedxx wrote:I'm interested in this as well. I applied mid OCTOBER and some schools still have told me nothing.

I'm rather confused because UCLA for example has sent out both waitlists and rejections but I have heard nothing. So at this point what is one to assume? Should Kenparcell and I be expecting more movement now that most of their deadlines have passed?

At this point, not hearing is better than a rejection but not good. It is as likely to mean they are on the fence between WL/reject as between Accept/WL...maybe even more toward the WL/reject side.

Volake

Postby Volake » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:42 pm

How does no response portend for us fools who applied late in the cycle- say early January? Would you say that not having a decision in our case is as ill-boding as it is for those who applied earlier and still haven't gotten decisions?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:51 pm

If you don't get the results you seek, you need to reapply next year early. The "late" applications will hurt almost everyone.

Volake

Postby Volake » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 pm

I realize that with the rolling admissions, applying late hurts your chances of admissions at almost every law school. My question was whether or not the absence of a decision at this point would have the same significance for one who applied later in the cycle as one who applied earlier in the cycle.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Everyone is totally boned.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:04 pm

stillwater wrote:Everyone is totally boned.

FOREVER! *thunder crashes!*

mikeylikesit

Postby mikeylikesit » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Everything in this thread is speculation.

Expect nothing. Hope for the best. Cheers.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”