Most Decisions Out Already?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:11 am

I can't imagine I'm the only one in this boat (or maybe I am). I applied in mid-December and I've only heard from 3 out of the 11 schools I applied to. Most of these are t14, and it seems like most decisions are already out.

Anyone know if it's true that at this point - it would waitlist/reject if we haven't heard back?

shroeder
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby shroeder » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:24 am

kennethellenparcell wrote:I can't imagine I'm the only one in this boat (or maybe I am). I applied in mid-December and I've only heard from 3 out of the 11 schools I applied to. Most of these are t14, and it seems like most decisions are already out.

Anyone know if it's true that at this point - it would waitlist/reject if we haven't heard back?



No actually they are just getting going on decisions, so try to relax and enjoy the ride. (not easy for me either). A month from now if you're still in the same situation then I would be concerned. The best thing is not to try to analyze this too much, adcomms are people too, and while they certainly follow the numbers, miracles can happen. Good luck!!

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:43 am

shroeder wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:I can't imagine I'm the only one in this boat (or maybe I am). I applied in mid-December and I've only heard from 3 out of the 11 schools I applied to. Most of these are t14, and it seems like most decisions are already out.

Anyone know if it's true that at this point - it would waitlist/reject if we haven't heard back?



No actually they are just getting going on decisions, so try to relax and enjoy the ride. (not easy for me either). A month from now if you're still in the same situation then I would be concerned. The best thing is not to try to analyze this too much, adcomms are people too, and while they certainly follow the numbers, miracles can happen. Good luck!!


Not true for every school. Many of the T14 have a large portion of their class filled. There are still spots left but they surely aren't "just getting going." They've been admitting people for 3 months and most of the top applicants apply early.

By this point last year, Michigan was basically done. They waitlisted nearly everyone left and then only took 2 people off the list right before classes started.

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:10 am

Well shit.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:15 am

It really depends on the school. If you're worried, I would dig through LSN to see when people get admitted for the schools you're look at before I start to worry. Each school in the T14 is different in how they admit applicants.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:17 am

This is a crude way of measuring, but if you look at the numbers of acceptances for t14 schools reported on Lawschoolnumbers.com, some schools have already accepted almost as many applicants this cycle as they did last cycle.

Indeed, Duke seems to have accepted MORE applicants at this point than they admitted in total last cycle. And that is not because more people are using LSN - last year there were 8 pages of applicants for Duke, so far this year there are only 6 pages.

Of course, this is at best a very imprecise way of measuring.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:19 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:This is a crude way of measuring, but if you look at the numbers of acceptances for t14 schools reported on Lawschoolnumbers.com, some schools have already accepted almost as many applicants this cycle as they did last cycle.

Indeed, Duke seems to have accepted MORE applicants at this point than they admitted in total last cycle. And that is not because more people are using LSN - last year there were 8 pages of applicants for Duke, so far this year there are only 6 pages.

Of course, this is at best a very imprecise way of measuring.

this is true, but as a counterpoint, many people only update their LSN profiles at the end of the cycle

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:21 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:This is a crude way of measuring, but if you look at the numbers of acceptances for t14 schools reported on Lawschoolnumbers.com, some schools have already accepted almost as many applicants this cycle as they did last cycle.

Indeed, Duke seems to have accepted MORE applicants at this point than they admitted in total last cycle. And that is not because more people are using LSN - last year there were 8 pages of applicants for Duke, so far this year there are only 6 pages.

Of course, this is at best a very imprecise way of measuring.

this is true, but as a counterpoint, many people only update their LSN profiles at the end of the cycle

Which would mean that there are actually more acceptances than currently listed on LSN?

Edit: to clarify - of course there are more than are listed on LSN, but I mean, there are actually more than the current sample on LSN would seem to indicate, relative to last year's sample.

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 am

I'm interested in this as well. I applied mid OCTOBER and some schools still have told me nothing.

I'm rather confused because UCLA for example has sent out both waitlists and rejections but I have heard nothing. So at this point what is one to assume? Should Kenparcell and I be expecting more movement now that most of their deadlines have passed?

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:36 am

So from a quick look at LSN it looks like NYU and Columbia come out with WL decisions in March and April. Michigan should be releasing a fair amount of WLs at the end of this month, as well as in the middle of March and early April. Penn as well.

Gonna get killed in FR by Berk today. Also you're welcome in advance to UVA and Harvard (lolz with my numbers) for helping you with your yield.

ETA: I'll probably try to crunch some numbers later tonight from LSN. As if I could be any more neurotic about this process.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:38 am

fingerscrossedxx wrote:I'm interested in this as well. I applied mid OCTOBER and some schools still have told me nothing.

I'm rather confused because UCLA for example has sent out both waitlists and rejections but I have heard nothing. So at this point what is one to assume? Should Kenparcell and I be expecting more movement now that most of their deadlines have passed?


At this point, not hearing is better than a rejection but not good. It is as likely to mean they are on the fence between WL/reject as between Accept/WL...maybe even more toward the WL/reject side.

Volake
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby Volake » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:42 pm

How does no response portend for us fools who applied late in the cycle- say early January? Would you say that not having a decision in our case is as ill-boding as it is for those who applied earlier and still haven't gotten decisions?

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby sunynp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:51 pm

If you don't get the results you seek, you need to reapply next year early. The "late" applications will hurt almost everyone.

Volake
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby Volake » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 pm

I realize that with the rolling admissions, applying late hurts your chances of admissions at almost every law school. My question was whether or not the absence of a decision at this point would have the same significance for one who applied later in the cycle as one who applied earlier in the cycle.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Everyone is totally boned.

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby justicefishy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:04 pm

stillwater wrote:Everyone is totally boned.


FOREVER! *thunder crashes!*

User avatar
mikeylikesit
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:17 am

Re: Most Decisions Out Already?

Postby mikeylikesit » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Everything in this thread is speculation.

Expect nothing. Hope for the best. Cheers.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BrainsyK, cyclawps, hellohalo, Mia93, MSNbot Media, PDX4343, reillyg, SilverSurfer2020, tsporl and 15 guests