In at VULS, 2015! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
msblaw89

Gold

Re: In at VULS, 2015!

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:50 pm

salsahips wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Checking in! The 75k scholarship is making me SERIOUSLY consider Vandy. I love Nashville and the campus. Anyone think 75k at Vandy trumps potential sticker at Cornell or GULC?

I have a similar scholarship at Vandy (65K) and I am also faced with GULC sticker -- from everything I've seen on TLS and other employment data it seems Vandy is the smart choice generally with the scholarship, but there are variances depending on your specific situation. What do you want to do? Where do you want to work? If you're looking at public interest or government work, GULC is probably the better choice. But saving 75K (and potential even more just because of the COL difference) is probably the smart choice otherwise.
I 100% don't want PI...hoping to crank out 3-5 years biglaw to get experience for in-house. At this point I don't have a geographical preference...I just want to work in a bigish city and make bank haha...high hopes I know. However, I am also interested in attending the school that has the most reach across the country. My fiance's job will most likely have him transferred a few times in the next 10-15 years

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Checking in from Nashville! As first impressions go, Vandy makes a good one, even after a day and a half of flight delays. I like how walkable the campus is, but it still does feel like it's part of the city. Coming from Wustl, which is very much a campus bubble, Vandy seems to me to strike a nice balance between campuses like that and the downtown campuses like Northwestern. For my personal interests (medical-legal field), I loved how big of a part the med school seems to play in the campus. It will be a good resource if I come here.
I sat in on Con law today, which was really interesting. Obviously I hadn't done the reading, but I could more or less follow along, and it was cool to see how classes actually work. The professor called on 3 or 4 people, if I remember correctly, each one answering questions for a few minutes at a time. It didn't seem too stressful as cold-calling goes (though lesson learned- he asked all of them to speak up, so talk loudly apparently). Now I'm sitting in a nifty little coffee shop getting some work done. I'm sure I'm easily impressed coming from where I live, but I'm impressed nonetheless.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:04 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Checking in from Nashville! As first impressions go, Vandy makes a good one, even after a day and a half of flight delays. I like how walkable the campus is, but it still does feel like it's part of the city. Coming from Wustl, which is very much a campus bubble, Vandy seems to me to strike a nice balance between campuses like that and the downtown campuses like Northwestern. For my personal interests (medical-legal field), I loved how big of a part the med school seems to play in the campus. It will be a good resource if I come here.
I sat in on Con law today, which was really interesting. Obviously I hadn't done the reading, but I could more or less follow along, and it was cool to see how classes actually work. The professor called on 3 or 4 people, if I remember correctly, each one answering questions for a few minutes at a time. It didn't seem too stressful as cold-calling goes (though lesson learned- he asked all of them to speak up, so talk loudly apparently). Now I'm sitting in a nifty little coffee shop getting some work done. I'm sure I'm easily impressed coming from where I live, but I'm impressed nonetheless.
This makes me SO excited for this weekend :) Thanks for the update scarlet!

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:27 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Checking in from Nashville! As first impressions go, Vandy makes a good one, even after a day and a half of flight delays. I like how walkable the campus is, but it still does feel like it's part of the city. Coming from Wustl, which is very much a campus bubble, Vandy seems to me to strike a nice balance between campuses like that and the downtown campuses like Northwestern. For my personal interests (medical-legal field), I loved how big of a part the med school seems to play in the campus. It will be a good resource if I come here.

How's the weather? I was hoping it'd still be a little chilly, but it's been in the 80's?!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:36 pm

salsahips wrote:

How's the weather? I was hoping it'd still be a little chilly, but it's been in the 80's?!
Gorgeous. Gorgeous weather. I'm wearing a sundress and a light cardigan(reference: I'm from Texas so this feels temperate to me).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Hey guys,

I'll be applying to VULS next cycle, and I wanted to ask for educated opinions on how to maximize my chances of getting a decent scholarship.

I have a 4.0 GPA and will be retaking, hopefully to get 170+. My goal would be to get 90k from VULS.

According to TLS, applicants with 3.9+/170 stats have received 72k, 95k & 110k this cycle along with numerous applicants who reported no scholarships.

Can anyone explain what accounts for the discrepancies between scholarship awards for applicants with very similar numbers, and how I could prepare for this so that I can maximize my chances of getting a great offer?

Thanks for any input.

der_saeufer

New

Post by der_saeufer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:37 am

seancris wrote:Hey guys,

I'll be applying to VULS next cycle, and I wanted to ask for educated opinions on how to maximize my chances of getting a decent scholarship.

I have a 4.0 GPA and will be retaking, hopefully to get 170+. My goal would be to get 90k from VULS.

According to TLS, applicants with 3.9+/170 stats have received 72k, 95k & 110k this cycle along with numerous applicants who reported no scholarships.

Can anyone explain what accounts for the discrepancies between scholarship awards for applicants with very similar numbers, and how I could prepare for this so that I can maximize my chances of getting a great offer?

Thanks for any input.
Part of this answer is that Vandy's scholarships (unlike some schools') are based on both merit and financial need. Their cutoff for parental information on the Need Access form is 25, so if you're 24 and your parents are loaded, expect to get less than someone who's 30, a single parent, and working at Starbucks to pay the rent with every other factor being the same.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:57 pm

der_saeufer wrote:Part of this answer is that Vandy's scholarships (unlike some schools') are based on both merit and financial need. Their cutoff for parental information on the Need Access form is 25, so if you're 24 and your parents are loaded, expect to get less than someone who's 30, a single parent, and working at Starbucks to pay the rent with every other factor being the same.
Makes sense. Sounds like I'm going to get screwed for coming from a middle-income family, though. We're not "loaded" at all, but I don't qualify for any gov't benefits either.

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:16 pm

Anybody else excited about the Eric Holder lecture on Friday?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Neatrends wrote:Anybody else excited about the Eric Holder lecture on Friday?
Yes!

Also, continuing Scarlet's vandy report: sat in on a 2L clinic class today, it was a ton of fun. Also, had some great pizza, some great Indian food, and saw the Nashville parthenon. I kind of love it here. Hope to see some of y'all at bar review tomorrow! I'll be the one with the curly hair drinking a beer :)

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:26 pm

I was, and then I heard the admitted students have to watch via video feed from a different room because the seats have all been taken up by students and faculty. Still kinda cool that he's there this weekend.

aes6b

New

Post by aes6b » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:00 am

I am too! Do you think we need to dress up a bit more professionally for an event like this or are most of you guys still wearing jeans/khakis?

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:09 am

aes6b wrote:
I am too! Do you think we need to dress up a bit more professionally for an event like this or are most of you guys still wearing jeans/khakis?
Im going to keep it informal but if you wanna snaz it up I support ya! :)

Where can I find the details for the bar review? Ill be the guy with longish black hair haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:52 am

Neatrends wrote:
aes6b wrote:

Where can I find the details for the bar review? Ill be the guy with longish black hair haha
I'm assuming they'll talk about it at ASW- I'm hanging out with current students now so that's why I've heard already. It's at a place downtown which I've forgotten the name of.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:56 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:03 am

rad lulz wrote:
Fuck this Holder shit I have to go to that for class.
Well since it seems I'll be watching from another room via videofeed, I hope you'll channel that annoyance into asking him hardball questions about executing american citizens without a judicial process. Someone's gotta do it..

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:50 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:51 am

danielhay11

Bronze

Post by danielhay11 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:52 am

Neatrends wrote:
aes6b wrote:

I got an email that said bar review will be held at Buffalo Billiards (154 Second Avenue North).

My flight doesn't get in until 10, and I'm debating whether or not bar review is a smart decision. We'll see.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:01 pm

It's a beautiful day in Nashville! Seriously- It's balmy 70something with a breeze. Gorgeous.

I'm hanging around campus- hope to meet some of you soon!

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:21 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:It's a beautiful day in Nashville! Seriously- It's balmy 70something with a breeze. Gorgeous.

I'm hanging around campus- hope to meet some of you soon!
Leaving for my flight soon! Hopefully will be seeing you there! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:23 pm

danielhay11 wrote:
Neatrends wrote:
aes6b wrote:

I got an email that said bar review will be held at Buffalo Billiards (154 Second Avenue North).

My flight doesn't get in until 10, and I'm debating whether or not bar review is a smart decision. We'll see.
I didn't get this email but I might certainly be dropping by there tonight now :) Scarlet shall I find you there? I will be the tall girl with black braids drinking a beer :)

der_saeufer

New

Post by der_saeufer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:07 pm

On my way out the door headed to the airport. My flight gets in around 9:30 and I'm probably headed straight to bar review. See y'all there!

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Did you all book through FROSCH?

Sammy841

Bronze

Post by Sammy841 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Anyone hear anything about when need-based aid is going out?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”