In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which ASW will you attend?

March 15-17
28
52%
March 29-31
20
37%
Both
0
No votes
Neither/lurker option
6
11%
 
Total votes: 54

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Curriculum brouchure posted in Mail & Money sections of ASW.

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby MachineLemon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Anybody get hotel details for the first ASW?

planeride
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby planeride » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:49 pm

MachineLemon wrote:Anybody get hotel details for the first ASW?


Not yet...why, did you?

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby MachineLemon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:34 pm

planeride wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:Anybody get hotel details for the first ASW?


Not yet...why, did you?


Nope.

Btw, your avatar is extremely credited. One of my all time favorites. Got it on CD, vinyl, and 8-track. I prefer Graceland--especially in the summer--but you can't find a better fall album than the self-title.

planeride
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby planeride » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:42 am

MachineLemon wrote:
planeride wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:Anybody get hotel details for the first ASW?


Not yet...why, did you?


Nope.

Btw, your avatar is extremely credited. One of my all time favorites. Got it on CD, vinyl, and 8-track. I prefer Graceland--especially in the summer--but you can't find a better fall album than the self-title.


I think Rhythm of the Saints is my favorite, Graceland nipping at its heels.

User avatar
avd90
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby avd90 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:51 am

Anyone considering housing yet? I have a dog so I think my process might be a bit more complicated. Anyone hear of nice yet dog friendly places in AA

American_in_China
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby American_in_China » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:41 am

Anyone wanna get a head start on roommates? Barring a match from UVA, which I doubt given the generosity of Michigan, I'll be in A2 next year. I'm trying to live in a double in one of the Lawyers club replacements. Male, 23, don't care about the gender of who I room with.
PM me if you're looking to live in one of those- the first and fourth option are highest on my list because both have heating, water, and parking included.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:53 am

0_o hi guys!

Sammy841
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby Sammy841 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:04 pm

So on the financial aid part of the website they say it takes about two weeks to hear about financial aid after completing the I hope that's right and we aren't still waiting when April rolls around. I'm not cut out for this extended waiting game!

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Sammy841 wrote:So on the financial aid part of the website they say it takes about two weeks to hear about financial aid after completing the I hope that's right and we aren't still waiting when April rolls around. I'm not cut out for this extended waiting game!


I spoke with KBG about financial aid and she said that, for new students, they usually don't get access to our stuff until mid-March... so I wouldn't hold my breath about getting any info before April 1st.

Marigold22
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby Marigold22 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm looking for a female roommate in the Lawyer's Club replacements. Non-smoker. PM me if interested!

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby MachineLemon » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:06 am

Getting ready for this ASW... :D

Any idea how many people are at these things?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am

How many reads do you guys need? :?

legalabogada
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby legalabogada » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:06 pm

.
Last edited by legalabogada on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:16 pm

legalabogada wrote:Checking in. OH MY GOSH!!! I'M IN!!!! I may or may not have cried. Had to login to the status checker from 2 different computers to truly believe it was real.


Congrats! Also, I did the same thing. I checked from my work laptop, my work desktop, and my phone, just to be safe. :-)

legalabogada
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby legalabogada » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:54 pm

.
Last edited by legalabogada on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 pm

legalabogada wrote:
avd90 wrote:Anyone considering housing yet? I have a dog so I think my process might be a bit more complicated. Anyone hear of nice yet dog friendly places in AA

I have a doggy too. Slightly stressing out over this. avd90, have you checked this out

I have a pet; will it be hard for me to find pet-friendly housing? There are a lot of options available to you; go to the Off-Campus Housing website and answer the questions there to find out real-time availability of apartments meeting your needs. --LinkRemoved--

Thanks ScrabbleChamp, in high school I didn't have a dream college. I had a dream law school & it was Michigan. :mrgreen:


Harbor House is dog friendly. There are very very few places downtown that allow dogs. Most of them I wouldn't want to live in.

Edit: I have a dog so I went through this when a 0L, and again last year when looking to move downtown. I couldn't find anything downtown so I still live at HH.

legalabogada
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby legalabogada » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:07 pm

.
Last edited by legalabogada on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
avd90
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby avd90 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:00 pm

yeah, same situation for me. I need to find something, and I don't want a crazy commute. Ruby needs to come, and as crazy as that might be to some people, no dog is a deal breaker.

bannanagram
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby bannanagram » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:51 pm

avd90 wrote:yeah, same situation for me. I need to find something, and I don't want a crazy commute. Ruby needs to come, and as crazy as that might be to some people, no dog is a deal breaker.


The Ponds at Georgetown also takes dogs and is comparable to Harbor House/Woodbury.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:03 pm

All,

It has come to my attention that somehow Admissions believes I misrepresented their policy on transferring people between Summer/Fall start and it was taken as university policy (or the person so asserted to them on the phone). They didn't explain when this happened (I contacted them about ASW), but after an extensive search of my post history and PMs, I can't find any advice I gave other than to contact Admissions with your story. So, I'm not sure where this came from. I don't know if someone else's post was misattributed to me, someone contacted Admissions with animus, or someone purposely mischaracterized my post in order to benefit themselves in their attempt to switch.

Fortunately, Admissions was gracious in their e-mail. After reiterating they weren't trying to admonish or silence me, they even offered to brief me on all of their policies in person now or answer any questions I had as they came up. However, I'm not taking them up on it. I'm not wasting my time doing your due diligence because you're too lazy/scared to call. If you're relying on TLS as a source of official policy, you're an idiot. If you purposely threw me under the bus in order to benefit yourself, you're a snake and don't belong here. Whoever you are, here is your first law school lesson: Rely only on authoritative sources.

I wouldn't say I've been "outed" per se as Admissions knew who I was from when I clarified policies with them during last year's fiascos. Still, I'm not at all happy that my reputation with them has been besmirched. I'm always careful to answer in general terms, provide only concrete examples I personally know of, and advise communication directly with Admissions. When I have commented on other policies, I cleared them first with them. I've never purported to speak for the University, except when authorized (and disclosed).

So, I'm out. I'll no longer be answering any questions (here or by PM) that involve dealing with the university. I'm happy to talk about my experiences (and I'll be at the dinners both ASWs for this purpose) but I'll no longer be actively monitoring any of the Michigan threads. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your visits.

TL,DR: Life's too short. Good luck.

User avatar
avd90
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby avd90 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Hey everyone,

So I have a serious question that I'm hoping one of my fellow admits or trolling current students can answer. I love UM, love AA (first choice undergrad) but having trouble with the idea of moving to Michigan for three years. The biggest issue for me is that my SO has very minimal job prospects in the greater Detroit area. Does anyone have any wisdom regarding this and/or any potential places to look for jobs or employment in the AA area? I don't want to have my LS decision end my relationship, and I'm quite fond of my boyfriend, but I don't want to put him in a position to move to a place where there is no work, and he's essentially there for me and me alone.

I'm not sure if anyone will have any advice or knowledge to lend, but at this point I'm hoping for anything. I know long distance is an option, but three years long distance (from the east coast) is a lot to stomach. Hoping for some good ideas from TLS... don't want to choose between UM and my relationship!

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby sanguar » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:16 pm

avd90 wrote:Hey everyone,

So I have a serious question that I'm hoping one of my fellow admits or trolling current students can answer. I love UM, love AA (first choice undergrad) but having trouble with the idea of moving to Michigan for three years. The biggest issue for me is that my SO has very minimal job prospects in the greater Detroit area. Does anyone have any wisdom regarding this and/or any potential places to look for jobs or employment in the AA area? I don't want to have my LS decision end my relationship, and I'm quite fond of my boyfriend, but I don't want to put him in a position to move to a place where there is no work, and he's essentially there for me and me alone.

I'm not sure if anyone will have any advice or knowledge to lend, but at this point I'm hoping for anything. I know long distance is an option, but three years long distance (from the east coast) is a lot to stomach. Hoping for some good ideas from TLS... don't want to choose between UM and my relationship!

What does he do?

User avatar
avd90
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby avd90 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:21 pm

sanguar wrote:
avd90 wrote:Hey everyone,

So I have a serious question that I'm hoping one of my fellow admits or trolling current students can answer. I love UM, love AA (first choice undergrad) but having trouble with the idea of moving to Michigan for three years. The biggest issue for me is that my SO has very minimal job prospects in the greater Detroit area. Does anyone have any wisdom regarding this and/or any potential places to look for jobs or employment in the AA area? I don't want to have my LS decision end my relationship, and I'm quite fond of my boyfriend, but I don't want to put him in a position to move to a place where there is no work, and he's essentially there for me and me alone.

I'm not sure if anyone will have any advice or knowledge to lend, but at this point I'm hoping for anything. I know long distance is an option, but three years long distance (from the east coast) is a lot to stomach. Hoping for some good ideas from TLS... don't want to choose between UM and my relationship!

What does he do?


He's a recent grad, like myself (which is the problem) He is looking for entry level marketing positions, and has sent out resumes but it seems pretty dry. I'm trying to convince him to apply to a UM grad program, but we'll see..

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Postby catwomangirl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Most grad programs have accepted already. Could he get a position in Chicago? That seems like a place that would have tons of jobs, and then you would be long distant, but not soso long.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: uhwrestler and 7 guests