In at Michigan, Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which ASW will you attend?

March 15-17
52%
March 29-31
37%
Both
No votes
Neither/lurker option
11%

Total votes: 54

Husky07

New

Re: In at Michigan, Class of 2015

Post by Husky07 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Is anybody attending next week's ASW and interested in splitting a cab from the airport? If so, feel free to shoot me a PM. I get in on Thursday around 11 am.

citygirl000

Bronze

Post by citygirl000 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:44 pm

Husky07 wrote:Is anybody attending next week's ASW and interested in splitting a cab from the airport? If so, feel free to shoot me a PM. I get in on Thursday around 11 am.
Pmed

jagreenw

New

Post by jagreenw » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:07 pm

citygirl000 wrote:
Husky07 wrote:Is anybody attending next week's ASW and interested in splitting a cab from the airport? If so, feel free to shoot me a PM. I get in on Thursday around 11 am.
Pmed
Same.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:02 pm

Since everyone is looking for rides, I'll repost this:

I am arriving in Detroit on Tuesday around 1300 hours. If anyone needs a ride, let me know. I'm renting a car and since I'll be making the drive into A2, anyway, no charge for anyone that needs a ride around the same time. Just PM me if you are interested.

mathlawcombo

New

Post by mathlawcombo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 pm

officially going to Michigan! looking for one to three roommates for the fall...pm me if interested!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JF215

New

Post by JF215 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:44 am

Just got my financial aid offer. Looks like I'll be withdrawing soon. :cry:

sandiego222

Bronze

Post by sandiego222 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 am

They officially state that they do not negotiate offers, but you should at least let them know what competitor schools have given you. No harm!

RNJDNO1

New

Post by RNJDNO1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:23 am

Last edited by RNJDNO1 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:28 am

Ugh. Still waiting. "no awards found." loans would be up if they had decided, right? I mean, I'm pretty sure it'll be all loans, but I just want to know. :-/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jfish

New

Post by jfish » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:52 am

franklyscarlet wrote:Ugh. Still waiting. "no awards found." loans would be up if they had decided, right? I mean, I'm pretty sure it'll be all loans, but I just want to know. :-/
I think the "No awards found" refers to merit scholarships, which are offered independently of your FAFSA/Need Access information. I've heard (haven't gotten there myself yet) that after you submit the two applications, need-based aid and available loans will show up. But you should probably call or email the Financial Aid office to double-check. They've been awesome at responding to my emails - usually the same day.

xwing_redleader

Bronze

Post by xwing_redleader » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:48 am

sandiego222 wrote:They officially state that they do not negotiate offers, but you should at least let them know what competitor schools have given you. No harm!
Where'd you get that idea? According to their website, " In cases where no merit aid has been offered, the Financial Aid Office is occasionally able to take financial aid offers from competing schools into account."

Source: --LinkRemoved--

Also, I went to ASW, and the financial aid advisor told me that they do reconsider offers.

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:49 am

xwing_redleader wrote:
sandiego222 wrote:They officially state that they do not negotiate offers, but you should at least let them know what competitor schools have given you. No harm!
Where'd you get that idea? According to their website, " In cases where no merit aid has been offered, the Financial Aid Office is occasionally able to take financial aid offers from competing schools into account."

Source: --LinkRemoved--

Also, I went to ASW, and the financial aid advisor told me that they do reconsider offers.
They don't negotiate financial aid offers.

RNJDNO1

New

Post by RNJDNO1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Last edited by RNJDNO1 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:36 pm

RNJDNO1 wrote:Apparently everyone went from being an applicant to working for the Michigan financial aid office? :shock: & Sadly a lot of people are misinformed. Every case is different. Let me say that if they admitted us they want us there! Everyone with a question should call. Every case is unique! Only a silly person would miss out on the opportunity to attend Michigan without first calling the Financial Aid Office. The forms we submitted do not always paint the whole picture. If you think there is more to your financial aid/need story call them up!!!! Don't make a decision to withdraw over money without first calling FinAid. That would be sooo silly! :wink:
yeah, for sure. I was actually able to get them to agree to consider me for FA. What I meant when I said they do not negotiate is that once you are given an award, they don't reconsider. I asked specifically if it was negotiable and they said they do not reconsider grants, but will consider me for merit aid if I provide them with offers from peer schools.

RNJDNO1

New

Post by RNJDNO1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:54 pm

Last edited by RNJDNO1 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YesNoMaybe

Bronze

Post by YesNoMaybe » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:58 pm

RNJDNO1 wrote:Again, I think that if financial situations change or you have something to add or even if you just want to explain your financial situation in detail. It is worth it!!! :D
Yeah... I'm inclined to agree a bit with this. There's what schools post, then there's what they actually do. This is my second time negotiating for merit aid. Without going into specifics, I've seen more than one school do things they claimed not to do on their website (and then ask me not to post on TLS about it).

Not talking about Michigan, but it honestly doesn't hurt to try.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sandiego222

Bronze

Post by sandiego222 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:06 pm

avd90 wrote:
RNJDNO1 wrote:Apparently everyone went from being an applicant to working for the Michigan financial aid office? :shock: & Sadly a lot of people are misinformed. Every case is different. Let me say that if they admitted us they want us there! Everyone with a question should call. Every case is unique! Only a silly person would miss out on the opportunity to attend Michigan without first calling the Financial Aid Office. The forms we submitted do not always paint the whole picture. If you think there is more to your financial aid/need story call them up!!!! Don't make a decision to withdraw over money without first calling FinAid. That would be sooo silly! :wink:
yeah, for sure. I was actually able to get them to agree to consider me for FA. What I meant when I said they do not negotiate is that once you are given an award, they don't reconsider. I asked specifically if it was negotiable and they said they do not reconsider grants, but will consider me for merit aid if I provide them with offers from peer schools.

OK, so that's a "policy". But I wouldn't say it as fact when other people are indicating their offers have in fact been reconsidered (for grants)
Last edited by sandiego222 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:12 pm

I was just repeating what was said to me. I didn't mean to give the impression that I was saying they never negotiate. In fact, I was originally denied consideration for financial aid grants, but I appealed the decision with my personal situation and they awarded me a grant. What I meant to say was, they told me that after my grant had been decided I could not get more financial aid. I could, however, try and get some merit aid through negotiation. I assume that if my situation had changed or if I had new information for them, they would then have reconsidered my award. I don't have anything new to give them, which is why I assume they won't consider giving more grant aid.

sorry for the confusion, didn't mean to rub so many the wrong way!

JF215

New

Post by JF215 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm told Michigan will only adjust your aid award once, and that we should wait until we receive all offers to negotiate. Has anyone been successful in negotiating w/ Mich? If so, can you PM me please?

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:23 pm

JF215 wrote:I'm told Michigan will only adjust your aid award once, and that we should wait until we receive all offers to negotiate. Has anyone been successful in negotiating w/ Mich? If so, can you PM me please?
They won't adjust an award... they will only give you one if you weren't initially offered. That is, if you've already been awarded money, you can't change that. They only consider providing an award if they initially offered $0. This is per the Michigan Law Financial Aid website and appears to be just for merit aid.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:57 pm

JF215 wrote:I'm told Michigan will only adjust your aid award once, and that we should wait until we receive all offers to negotiate. Has anyone been successful in negotiating w/ Mich? If so, can you PM me please?
Since they will only adjust if they offered you nothing in the first place, then yes, if you are no offered you should wait until all other offers are in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”