Thomas Jefferson School of Law c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
splitsplat

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law c/o 2015

Postby splitsplat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:08 pm

handsonthewheel wrote:Then either someone's faith in you is misplaced or you need to go back and retake the LSAT with some serious preparation.

I'm not usually one to talk down at schools but TJSL is really not a good choice. Read into the lawsuit and possibly check out this link: http://cache.abovethelaw.com/uploads/20 ... 2.jpeg.png

That's a pretty rough bar passage rate. Maybe that isn't the individual student and just the nature of a less selective school, but something is clearly going wrong.

Pahlawan, I don't know if you saw this guy's post, but it should give you serious cause for concern. In case you did see it, AND understood it, and still want to go without reservation... then I don't think anyone here will be able to talk you out of it.

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:13 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:I'm not a T-14 or bust guy, and I can't even think of one set of personal/financial circumstances that would warrant attendance at this law school. If you have the numbers to get money, then go somewhere that is less of a joke, say Santa Clara, and try to network your way back to San Diego. Keep in mind, attending Santa Clara without a full or close to full scholarship is still a horrible idea. Less than a 1/4 of 2009 SCU grads found full time work in the legal field. I'm not talking about at graduation, I'm talking about nine months out.

Santa Clara is at least twice the school that Thomas Jefferson is.

For those of you who will not go into debt to attend Thomas Jefferson School of Law, I still can't imagine a set of circumstances where this is a good idea. There are other things you can do with your time/money. Even if you were a millionaire, wanted to be a lawyer in San Diego, the answer has to be retake and get into USD (not that hard to do, buy a powerscore book and find some work ethic..) The reputation of Thomas Jefferson is very bad, so bad that the three years you spend there will literally be a black mark upon you in the legal world, even though you did in fact go to "law school."

But please, if you can defend your decision to attend I'm sure myself and others on this board would love to talk about it. If you can do it I will humbly admit I'm wrong. I just don't see how there isn't a better life option even for the full scholarship recipients.

This. Accurate and heart felt.

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:16 pm

pret wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:But please, if you can defend your decision to attend I'm sure myself and others on this board would love to talk about it. If you can do it I will humbly admit I'm wrong. I just don't see how there isn't a better life option even for the full scholarship recipients.

What if one were to have a job lined up after graduation?

If you have a definite job lined up and receive substantial $$$ that could justify attending.

davidfett

Postby davidfett » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:37 pm

I received a full tuition scholarship here, and was planning on attending, but this thread has me re-thinking my decision. Are you all trying to say that if I graduate in the upper 5%, and interview super well, that I won't be able to find any kind of decent employment? Everything I've read says that once you've been working for 5+ years they look at your resume, not at your alma mater. But please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:05 pm

davidfett wrote:I received a full tuition scholarship here, and was planning on attending, but this thread has me re-thinking my decision. Are you all trying to say that if I graduate in the upper 5%, and interview super well, that I won't be able to find any kind of decent employment? Everything I've read says that once you've been working for 5+ years they look at your resume, not at your alma mater. But please, correct me if I'm wrong.

How is somebody supposed to build a good resume if their school prohibits them from getting good legal employment right after law school? But a full ride there might be better than some other options, so don't necessarily jump right to them too. What are the stipulations on the scholarship?

LWOP

Postby LWOP » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:15 pm

I received a fellowship and a scholarship. I have spoken with several individuals in the field I am looking to enter that went to TJ and have been hired. so, take the vitriol with a grain of salt....

davidfett

Postby davidfett » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Tom Joad wrote:How is somebody supposed to build a good resume if their school prohibits them from getting good legal employment right after law school? But a full ride there might be better than some other options, so don't necessarily jump right to them too. What are the stipulations on the scholarship?

Stipulations are top 25% of the class. I've talked to several people who went there, and to my uncle who manages a large firm in Laguna Nigel. They've all told me that it might be hard to find employment, but that if I work at it I will definitely find some. Also, everything I've heard does say that where you graduated from doesn't matter as much once you've worked for 5 years.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:34 pm

LWOP wrote:I received a fellowship and a scholarship. I have spoken with several individuals in the field I am looking to enter that went to TJ and have been hired. so, take the vitriol with a grain of salt....

Just out of curiosity, what is a fellowship in the context of law school? Also, what were the stipulations placed on your scholarship?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Top 25% of your class? Oh, hell no. DOn't go.

MTal

Postby MTal » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:56 pm

bjsesq wrote:You've made your point, leave the kid alone.

The point is, the kid didn't get the point.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:02 pm

MTal wrote:
bjsesq wrote:You've made your point, leave the kid alone.

The point is, the kid didn't get the point.

Oh joy, hurp durpington has made his way to the thread. Took you long enough.

montanamoose

Postby montanamoose » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:12 pm

This school may not be for everyone, but for some it fits. I have a friend who is planning on doing public work that just put his deposit down; he is excited to go to TJ, and I am excited for him.

No law school is a death sentence, and anyone who has had a professional career will tell you that where you went to school only plays a small role in your success, or even landing a job for that matter. Ninety percent of the people posting on this forum have been educated by others on this forum that you WILL NOT succeed if you don’t go to a T14 school … this is ridiculous.

No one here has the right to put a school down in the way it has been done on this thread. My friend who went to Idaho just landed a job over a grad from GT and another from NYU. If there were professionals posting on this thread, you would find very different responses.

I wish everyone here success, and I guarantee as you all progress as professionals you will see that your educational background becomes less and less relevant.

This should be an exciting time, don’t spoil someone’s acceptance with YOUR opinion.

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:19 pm

lobolawyer wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:I'm not a T-14 or bust guy, and I can't even think of one set of personal/financial circumstances that would warrant attendance at this law school. If you have the numbers to get money, then go somewhere that is less of a joke, say Santa Clara, and try to network your way back to San Diego. Keep in mind, attending Santa Clara without a full or close to full scholarship is still a horrible idea. Less than a 1/4 of 2009 SCU grads found full time work in the legal field. I'm not talking about at graduation, I'm talking about nine months out.

Santa Clara is at least twice the school that Thomas Jefferson is.

For those of you who will not go into debt to attend Thomas Jefferson School of Law, I still can't imagine a set of circumstances where this is a good idea. There are other things you can do with your time/money. Even if you were a millionaire, wanted to be a lawyer in San Diego, the answer has to be retake and get into USD (not that hard to do, buy a powerscore book and find some work ethic..) The reputation of Thomas Jefferson is very bad, so bad that the three years you spend there will literally be a black mark upon you in the legal world, even though you did in fact go to "law school."

But please, if you can defend your decision to attend I'm sure myself and others on this board would love to talk about it. If you can do it I will humbly admit I'm wrong. I just don't see how there isn't a better life option even for the full scholarship recipients.

This. Accurate and heart felt.

I have to echo this statement. I'm going to law school that quite a lot of TLS considers to be a TTT, but I threw away a full ride and fellowship from California Western because that school's reputation was too big of a question mark. And even Cali Western is marginally better than TJSL. Please reconsider before going to TJSL. I understand this is against the board etiquette, but I really don't see how anyone can justify attending here.

davidfett

Postby davidfett » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:39 pm

montanamoose wrote:No law school is a death sentence, and anyone who has had a professional career will tell you that where you went to school only plays a small role in your success, or even landing a job for that matter. Ninety percent of the people posting on this forum have been educated by others on this forum that you WILL NOT succeed if you don’t go to a T14 school … this is ridiculous.
This should be an exciting time, don’t spoil someone’s acceptance with YOUR opinion.

Thank you. My uncle manages a big law firm in Laguna Nigel, and he went to a TTT. He is firmly of the opinion that after 5 years, your school won't matter. Your work ethic and professionalism will. Some say you can't get a job out of these schools. Baloney. A friend of mine had to take the bar 3 times in CA. He couldn't find work. He hired a headhunter who promised results in 9 months or his money back. He's working for 35K a year now, admittedley not amazing, but he now has a job that he can get some experience at. Elitists- please go away. We aren't looking to make 200K and partner in 5 years in New York.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:12 pm

your own anecdote is not working in your favor bro.

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:14 pm

splitsplat wrote:your own anecdote is not working in your favor bro.

+1

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:27 pm

Pahlawan wrote:--ImageRemoved--

In as of 1/27!

Know the 3 "R's"

Read our advice, Retake lsat, and Reconsider options.

Also, read this article about a guy from TJ.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/busin ... wanted=all

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:44 pm

This thread is to organize students who have already decided to enroll for next year. GTFO with the anti-TJ stuff, not the appropriate place for it. You are doing nobody a service and very likely scaring away potential users of this website with the negative commentary. Go start a new thread if you want to talk about the merits of the institution.

montanamoose

Postby montanamoose » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote:This thread is to organize students who have already decided to enroll for next year. GTFO with the anti-TJ stuff, not the appropriate place for it. You are doing nobody a service and very likely scaring away potential users of this website with the negative commentary. Go start a new thread if you want to talk about the merits of the institution.

Amen

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:25 pm

montanamoose wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:This thread is to organize students who have already decided to enroll for next year. GTFO with the anti-TJ stuff, not the appropriate place for it. You are doing nobody a service and very likely scaring away potential users of this website with the negative commentary. Go start a new thread if you want to talk about the merits of the institution.

Amen

I'm actually gonna plus one this. You made your points, it's on them now. Leave them the fuck alone.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:15 pm

montanamoose wrote:This school may not be for everyone, but for some it fits. I have a friend who is planning on doing public work that just put his deposit down; he is excited to go to TJ, and I am excited for him.

No law school is a death sentence, and anyone who has had a professional career will tell you that where you went to school only plays a small role in your success, or even landing a job for that matter. Ninety percent of the people posting on this forum have been educated by others on this forum that you WILL NOT succeed if you don’t go to a T14 school … this is ridiculous.

No one here has the right to put a school down in the way it has been done on this thread. My friend who went to Idaho just landed a job over a grad from GT and another from NYU. If there were professionals posting on this thread, you would find very different responses.

I wish everyone here success, and I guarantee as you all progress as professionals you will see that your educational background becomes less and less relevant.

Do you work in the admissions office of TJSL?

No one is saying T-14 or bust here. The fact is though that there are a few private law schools (TJSL, Cooley, Florida Coastal) that are strait up scamming people. There was a dude who went to my T1 who killed himself a few years back. I think the soul-crushing debt and the fact that he couldn't find employment in the field he had devoted his life to played a role. This shit is serious.

If that can happen at a school where the vast majority of grads become full-time attorneys, think about what happens to the lives of the human beings who attend TJSL? The majority at this school cannot even pass the bar examination in order to properly interview for a job. This school should be shut down. Do you not want to hear this fact because you work for the school? The fact remains.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:32 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Do you work in the admissions office of TJSL?

No one is saying T-14 or bust here. The fact is though that there are a few private law schools (TJSL, Cooley, Florida Coastal) that are strait up scamming people. There was a dude who went to my T1 who killed himself a few years back. I think the soul-crushing debt and the fact that he couldn't find employment in the field he had devoted his life to played a role. This shit is serious.

If that can happen at a school where the vast majority of grads become full-time attorneys, think about what happens to the lives of the human beings who attend TJSL? The majority at this school cannot even pass the bar examination in order to properly interview for a job. This school should be shut down. Do you not want to hear this fact because you work for the school? The fact remains.

If we are going to compare irrelevant anecdotes, I can offer one up too. I went to TJSL and now I have a big law job.

Stop acting like your doing anyone a favor and trying to boost your self esteem by putting down a school you have nothing to do with. "The lives of the human beings who attend TJSL" LOL get off your high horse, your only at a t1 school, not prestigious bro.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:42 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote: I went to TJSL and now I have a big law job.

Stop acting like your doing anyone a favor and trying to boost your self esteem by putting down a school you have nothing to do with. "The lives of the human beings who attend TJSL" LOL get off your high horse, your only at a t1 school, not prestigious bro.

...didn't you transfer out of TJSL?

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:47 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote:This thread is to organize students who have already decided to enroll for next year. 1) GTFO with the anti-TJ stuff, not the appropriate place for it. 2) You are doing nobody a service and very likely scaring away potential users of this website with the negative commentary. Go start a new thread if you want to talk about the merits of the institution.

1) Are you a moderator? If not, STFU.

2) Actually, we are. As evidence, read the article from my link.

Lawl Shcool wrote:If we are going to compare irrelevant anecdotes, I can offer one up too. 1) I went to TJSL and now I have a big law job.

Stop acting like your doing anyone a favor and 2) trying to boost your self esteem by putting down a school you have nothing to do with. "The lives of the human beings who attend TJSL" 3) LOL get off your high horse, your only at a t1 school, not prestigious bro.

1) Even if this statement is true, and you did not transfer, that doesn't mean TJ is even remotely a decent choice for law school. Either, you are 100 years old, got the job through nepotism, or won the network lottery of the decade.

2) ...like qualifying your own argument by stating you are "biglaw"...?

3) Since you openly admit to attending TJ, I'll just let this comment hang in the air for a moment...

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:47 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote:If we are going to compare irrelevant anecdotes, I can offer one up too. I went to TJSL and now I have a big law job.

This is a nice point.

Lawl Shcool wrote:Stop acting like your doing anyone a favor and trying to boost your self esteem by putting down a school you have nothing to do with.

This does not make me feel better at all. It would be hard to persuade you of that on this forum, but it is the truth.

Here are the numbers strait from NALP. Keep in mind, schools massage these numbers up, not down.

Law School Careers

Total graduates 221
Graduates known to be employed at graduation 28.1%
Graduates known to be employed nine months after graduation 68.3%
Class of 2010 Graduates-Class Breakdown at Graduation

Graduates whose employment status is unknown 71.0%
Graduates whose employment status is known 29.0%
Graduates known to be employed at graduation 28.1%
Graduates known to be enrolled in a full-time degree program 0.9%
Graduates known to be unemployed and seeking work N/A
Graduates known to be unemployed and not seeking work N/A
Class of 2010 Graduates-Class Breakdown at Nine Months

Graduates whose employment status is unknown 19.0%
Graduates whose employment status is known 81.0%
Graduates known to be employed nine months after graduation 68.3%
Graduates known to be enrolled in a full-time degree program 3.2%
Graduates known to be unemployed and seeking work 8.6%
Graduates known to be unemployed and not seeking work 0.9%
Starting Salaries of Graduates Employed Full-time (Class of 2010)

25th percentile private sector starting salary $45,000
Median private sector starting salary $65,000
75th percentile private sector starting salary $75,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information 16%
Median public service starting salary $52,000
Areas of Legal Practice (Class of 2010)

Percent employed in academia 4.6%
Percent employed in business and industry 18.5%
Percent employed in government 9.9%
Percent employed in all judicial clerkships 2.0%
Percent employed in law firms 61.6%
Percent employed in public interest 1.3%
Percent employed in an unknown field 2.0%
Employment Location (Class of 2010)

Graduates employed in-state 70%
Graduates employed out-of-state 19.2%
Graduates employed in foreign countries 1%
Number of states where graduates are employed 15
New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT) 0.0%
Middle Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA) 5.3%
East North Central (IL, IN, MI, OH, WI) 1.3%
West North Central (IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD) 0.0%
South Atlantic (DE, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV) 3.3%
East South Central (AL, KY, MS, TN) 1.3%
West South Central (AR, LA, OK, TX) 2.7%
Pacific (AK, CA, HI, OR, WA) 72.2%
Mountain (AZ, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, UT, WY) 3.3%
Employment location unknown 9.3%
Career Services

(Data appear as originally submitted by this school)
Career services operations Career Services (CS) has four career advisors, all attorneys, and a recruiting coordinator. CS provides individual counseling, group programming, job search materials, and mock interviews for students and alumni. CS also develops job/internship and networking opportunities with all types of legal and alternative employers.
Job Type

Bar admission required/anticipated (e.g., attorney and corporate counsel positions, law clerks, judicial clerks) 48.3%
Bar admission required/anticipated - percent employed in full-time positions 94.5%
J.D. preferred, law degree enhances position (e.g., corporate contracts administrator, alternative dispute resolution specialist, government regulatory analyst, FBI special agent) 37.8%
J.D. preferred - percent employed in full-time positions 84.2%
Professional other (jobs that require professional skills or training but for which a J.D. is neither preferred nor particularly applicable; e.g., accountant, teacher, business manager, nurse) 8.6%
Professional other - percent employed in full-time positions 53.8%
Non-professional other (job that does not require any professional skills or training or is taken on a temporary basis and not viewed as part of a career path) 1.3%
Non-professional other - percent employed in full-time positions 0.0%

Indebtedness

Average indebtedness of 2011 graduates who incurred law school debt $153,006
Proportion who borrowed 93.6%
Does the school offer a loan repayment assistance program for 2011 J.D. graduates? No

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”