All my decisions are in... Help me choose! :)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which School Should I Attend?

Suffolk University
29%
Touro College
3%
New England Law | Boston
12%
University of Baltimore
21%
University of the District of Columbia
10%
Roger WIlliams University
6%
New York Law School
20%

Total votes: 105

jeanster

Re: All my decisions are in... Help me choose! :)

Postby jeanster » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:03 pm

viperess wrote:I'm an older student (over 60) who already had a solid career, raised a family and has seen grand-babies go off to boarding school.
I want to go to law school because it's on my bucket list.
When I graduate I'm going to only do pro bono work and I really want to work with domestic violence victims or children involved in "the system". I'm not concerned about possible salaries: I'm retired and have already been mooching off my husband for years :wink:
Money is no object at this point, so I'm not worried about the varying costs of living.
What I am concerned about is the quality of life at these schools.

Every single person on this board could learn something from this woman. She's doing for the love of learning/challenge what a lot of you are doing solely for money.

Money =/= happiness. Neither does T14 or T-whatever.

aekea

Postby aekea » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Jaeger wrote:I think I took the "bucket list"/don't need money/over 60 part to mean she is bored. If that's not the case, I truly apologize. However, as I said, I know several people that applied to law schools after getting the idea on a lunch date and they all thought it'd be a "fun thing to do". They phrased it exactly like this. "I want to help impoverished children!" The reality is half of them dropped out halfway through (depriving people that may have actually helped impoverished children a shot). The other half has no intention of helping impoverished children. They just use it as a conversation piece at their parties/for social status.

Edit: How do you know it was a life-long dream? Sounds like her life-long dream was to be a doctor...wouldn't she help more people as a doctor?

I don't know why OP being bored would make her pursuit of a legal career somehow less worthwhile than someone doing it primarily to attain financial stability. She is clearly a smart and capable woman, she wants to spend her time learning and practicing law and she has the time and the resources to do it. I think it's great that this is how she chooses to spend her retirement. It sounds way more interesting than the life you've imagined for her, which seems to involve mostly going on lunch dates and to parties. The idea that older women enrolling in law school on a lark and dropping out is somehow preventing qualified candidates from having a chance is insane. There are a lot of problems with law school these days, but this is definitely not one of them.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:09 pm

aekea wrote:
Jaeger wrote:I think I took the "bucket list"/don't need money/over 60 part to mean she is bored. If that's not the case, I truly apologize. However, as I said, I know several people that applied to law schools after getting the idea on a lunch date and they all thought it'd be a "fun thing to do". They phrased it exactly like this. "I want to help impoverished children!" The reality is half of them dropped out halfway through (depriving people that may have actually helped impoverished children a shot). The other half has no intention of helping impoverished children. They just use it as a conversation piece at their parties/for social status.

Edit: How do you know it was a life-long dream? Sounds like her life-long dream was to be a doctor...wouldn't she help more people as a doctor?

I don't know why OP being bored would make her pursuit of a legal career somehow less worthwhile than someone doing it primarily to attain financial stability. She is clearly a smart and capable woman, she wants to spend her time learning and practicing law and she has the time and the resources to do it. I think it's great that this is how she chooses to spend her retirement. It sounds way more interesting than the life you've imagined for her, which seems to involve mostly going on lunch dates and to parties. The idea that older women enrolling in law school on a lark and dropping out is somehow preventing qualified candidates from having a chance is insane. There are a lot of problems with law school these days, but this is definitely not one of them.

Word.

I wish about 20 people would do this every year at every law school so that there would be fewer lawyers out there. Might be good for the employment market.

pret

Postby pret » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:58 pm

viperess wrote:I'm an older student (over 60) who already had a solid career, raised a family and has seen grand-babies go off to boarding school.
I want to go to law school because it's on my bucket list.
When I graduate I'm going to only do pro bono work and I really want to work with domestic violence victims or children involved in "the system". I'm not concerned about possible salaries: I'm retired and have already been mooching off my husband for years :wink:
Money is no object at this point, so I'm not worried about the varying costs of living.
What I am concerned about is the quality of life at these schools.

I've received news from all of the schools I applied to and was accepted to the following schools:
Suffolk University, Touro College, New England Law | Boston, University of Baltimore, University of the District of Columbia, Roger WIlliams University, and New York Law School.

My husband is really supportive and will move with me wherever I choose to go to school. As far as we're concerned, moving will be a great adventure!

Please help me decide which school I should attend.

Thank you all so much!
If your primary concern is quality of life, I strongly recommend you at least visit Baltimore if this where you decide going. I live a few miles from Baltimore and can count with one hand the amount of times I've visited the city just because it's Baltimore. The plus side, though, is that your services would be helpful in the troubled parts of the city.

unitedfrutopia

Postby unitedfrutopia » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Nothing more infuriating than a wealthy sixty something who continues to occupy a place in the work force. Just kidding, you seem cool. DC or Baltimore is the way to go here. You will be surrounded by other students who are interested in public interest stuff. Some of the more expensive schools you listed are essentially criminal enterprises that trade in false hope. Even if money isn't an issue for you, you should not give them your business. Have you considered applying to CUNY in New York? CUNY is dirt cheap and they produce a Skadden Scholar or two every year.

rma

Postby rma » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm

woodscommaL wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
Don't tell her to do that. I don't want some bored woman that wants to have a law degree for shits and giggles to deprive a spot for some other poor sod who is desperately trying to get into a T14 or Tier 1.

I'm sorry if it seems rude, but I know several women that are rich that did the exact thing the OP is doing because they had the idea at book club or whatever. If she stays with these crappy schools, I don't care. But it's a disservice to everyone else if she applies tier 1/T14.

I am genuinely curious why you think this was a warranted or appropriate comment. The sexist and classist undertone aside, who are you to judge whether or not someone deserves to get into a T14? And what exactly about her goal to provide pro bono aid to children in the system sounded like "shits and giggles" to you? You're right, it would be such a disservice to everyone if Viperess went to Harvard because she'd use her degree to improve the lives of so many parent-less children. That would be soooo terrible for everyone.

This woman has had the desire to go to law school DECADES longer than the rest of us. She can attend any school she wants to without you telling her she is only permitted to go to "crappy schools."

There was nothing okay about your post, and honestly you should be ashamed of yourself for attacking and belittling someone for wanting to achieve a life-long goal.

+1

I have an enormous amount of respect for you, OP.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:00 pm

jerichosm wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
jerichosm wrote:

Personally, I don't like handouts. I'd rather make it into a T14 because I went up against the best and won, not because the best decided that I had a more valid reason for wanting to attend.

I'm pretty sure you'd rather make it into a T14 and not care why as opposed to not. So save the romantic "I like to challenge myself" BS.

If I took a handout into a T14, I'd probably be crushed by my peers and sit at the bottom of the student body. So again, no thanks. It's not romantic BS. I'm a Republican, after all ;).

No XXXX,

I hope you wrote in your application "I'd rather make it into a T14 because I went up against the best and won, not because the best decided that I had a more valid reason for wanting to attend"

Based on your LSAT, you'd need a good personal statement to even have a shot at a T14 - which is basically saying, hey, lok at me, I've got a damn good reason to attend, so you should accept me even though I'm below your average.
Last edited by dingbat on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

woodscommaL

Postby woodscommaL » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:36 pm

dingbat wrote:
No, you're a turd...

I hope you wrote in your application "I'd rather make it into a T14 because I went up against the best and won, not because the best decided that I had a more valid reason for wanting to attend"

Based on your LSAT, you'd need a good personal statement to even have a shot at a T14 - which is basically saying, hey, lok at me, I've got a damn good reason to attend, so you should accept me even though I'm below your average.

You should think before you speak.

aekea

Postby aekea » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:39 pm

dingbat wrote:
No, you're a turd...

There is a difference between trying to make a case for yourself to the admissions committee of a law school and trying to convince another applicant that they shouldn't apply somewhere because you have decided that your reason for going to law school is superior to theirs. Only an entitled idiot would think that was appropriate.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:46 pm

I apologize, that was out of line.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:49 am

I think you're aiming too low with this school list.

With a 3.4, 158, why not Syracuse, Miami, or Denver? Miami may be a great school to apply to lifestyle wise!!! :) Your numbers are right at median for Miami. Denver could be another nice location that you could get into

jerichosm

Postby jerichosm » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:20 am

dingbat wrote:
jerichosm wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
jerichosm wrote:

Personally, I don't like handouts. I'd rather make it into a T14 because I went up against the best and won, not because the best decided that I had a more valid reason for wanting to attend.

I'm pretty sure you'd rather make it into a T14 and not care why as opposed to not. So save the romantic "I like to challenge myself" BS.

If I took a handout into a T14, I'd probably be crushed by my peers and sit at the bottom of the student body. So again, no thanks. It's not romantic BS. I'm a Republican, after all ;).

No XXXX,

I possess superior drinkability and many leather bound books.

Sincerely,

Turd Ferguson

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:31 pm

noleknight16 wrote:I think you're aiming too low with this school list.

With a 3.4, 158, why not Syracuse, Miami, or Denver? Miami may be a great school to apply to lifestyle wise!!! :) Your numbers are right at median for Miami. Denver could be another nice location that you could get into

Why does everyone thing quality of life is so great in Miami? I've seen that many times on this board. I lived in Florida for seven years and I'm convinced that it is the worst place in America to live.

rma

Postby rma » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:39 pm

+1. This.

You could also get into at least some of the Chicago T2s. And Chicago might be the perfect city for the type of work you want to do. Have you thought of Loyola, Kent, or DePaul?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:42 pm

Visit the schools and see which has the atmosphere that would make you happiest.

I've never visited any of these school except for Suffolk, which has really beautiful facilities.

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:55 pm

props to you lady. whichever school gets you is going to appreciate your efforts.

that being said, you should not go to new york law school. (they've just finished being bashed by cnn, and are now about to face a class action lawsuit) suffolk/ new england law sounds good; boston's close to cape cod and autumn is beautiful there.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Opie wrote:

Why does everyone thing quality of life is so great in Miami? I've seen that many times on this board. I lived in Florida for seven years and I'm convinced that it is the worst place in America to live.

I've lived in Florida for 22 years and I liked Miami.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:53 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
Opie wrote:

I've lived in Florida for 22 years and I liked Miami.

I know it's just a matter of opinion, but I can't get behind any aspect of living in Florida. The weather sucks, the percentage of asshokes is way high vpared to other parts of the country, nobody can drive, tourists everywhere, no tradition or culture to speak of outside of St. Augustine. Just not my thing.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Opie wrote:I know it's just a matter of opinion, but I can't get behind any aspect of living in Florida. The weather sucks, the percentage of asshokes is way high vpared to other parts of the country, nobody can drive, tourists everywhere, no tradition or culture to speak of outside of St. Augustine. Just not my thing.

Been in Florida all my life. Although I want to leave Florida for law school, your reasons for wanting to leave are all personal. My reasons for wanting to leave do not match up with yours at all. Just because you think Florida is terrible, doesnt mean anyone else does.

And the weather sucks? Id bet 95% of the country would disagree with you.

viperess

Postby viperess » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:38 pm

I just wanted to let you all know that I'll be matriculating to Suffolk in the fall.
Boston better watch out! :wink:

Thanks for all of your help and I wish you all the best!

juju96

Postby juju96 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 pm

this thread is hugely refreshing

Good luck Dr. Viperess! :mrgreen:

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:09 pm

Good luck, OP!!!

apslaw1031

Postby apslaw1031 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:24 am

Good luck! :)

lawyerinwaiting

Postby lawyerinwaiting » Fri May 04, 2012 1:31 pm

woodscommaL wrote:
sunynp wrote:Yes, since she will end up practicing locally and living there, she needs to chose by location. What she plans is a localized practice, so she needs to plan on living several years in her school location.

I'm not against op or her bucket list dream, my point was that her dream may be a very romanticized version of law school. But, just as equally she could know full well what she is getting into.

As money or career won't matter, her grades won't matter so she doesn't have to sweat the curve. She won't have to work very hard. She probably has enough money to open her own not for profit law practice for children, so maybe she doesn't even need to wory about finding a job.

As far as passing the bar, she can take plenty of time to study with bar prep courses or even tutors.

Other than location, she should maybe find the best clinics/externships/interships in the work she wants to do. She should find specific information about those clinics and how hard they are to get into- just because a school offers a clinic, it doesn't mean everyone who wants it will get it.

How dare you question whether or not she's done her research, say her career won't matter, imply that she isn't capable of being at the top of her class, speculate on how much money she has, or insinuate that she will have difficult getting into a clinic.

Show some class. She asked for opinions on schools, not on her goals.

+1

pret

Postby pret » Fri May 04, 2012 1:55 pm

G'luck! Wish there were more applicants like you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”