All my decisions are in... Help me choose! :)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which School Should I Attend?

Suffolk University
29%
Touro College
3%
New England Law | Boston
12%
University of Baltimore
21%
University of the District of Columbia
10%
Roger WIlliams University
6%
New York Law School
20%

Total votes: 105

mattviphky

Re: All my decisions are in... Help me choose! :)

Postby mattviphky » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:59 am

This sounds cool for some reason. Just the fact that you are retired, well off financially, and done with kids gives you so much freedom from worry. I honestly don't even know what advice to give you, I just wanted to comment.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 am

Original Poster (OP) did not ask for advice on going to law school. She is set on going. She asked for help on choosing at school.

viperess

Postby viperess » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:22 am

Thank you all for all of your sound advice and kind words!

You've all inspired me to go on a road trip to actually go see these schools.

To answer a few questions:

I may be older, but I firmly believe that age truly is just a state-of-mind (ladies, think back to all of those boys in their mid 20s that still act like they're 15!) and that if you keep active and live in the moment, that number can't hold you back.

I do in fact understand what law school entails (my husband graduated from NYU a long time ago and one of my sons went to Villanova) and I am by no means a stranger to hard work!
I earned a BS in chemistry from Hunter College and went on to get a DPM from New York College of Podiatric Medicine.
You may call me Dr. Viperess ;)
Back in the day I had a 3.6 UGPA and a 3.4 graduate GPA. I took the LSAT last year and scored a 158. Those logic games are something I've never seen the likes of before!
I was always interested in studying law but my family strongly believed that I should go into the medical field. They didn't force me to make that decision, but I got caught up in pleasing them.
I eventually found a niche I enjoyed and practiced for quite a few years. I specialized in sports medicine and diabetic care before retiring in the early 90's.

Thanks again! If you'd like to hear anything else, I'd be glad to share with you.

Good luck with your applications and in school!
Last edited by viperess on Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:40 am

viperess wrote:
I do in fact understand what law school entails (my husband graduated from NYU a long time ago and one of my sons went to Villanova) and I am by no means a stranger to hard work!
I earned a BS in chemistry from Hunter College and went on to get a DPM from New York College of Podiatric Medicine.
You may call me Dr. Viperess ;)
Back in the day I had a 3.6 UGPA and a 3.4 graduate GPA.

So you graduated from Hunter College in the 60s/70s? Impressive. The school was far more prestigious at that time (from what I understand) and was a women's college. My sister graduated from there in 2007 and one of my professors from UG graduated from there in the 60s.

Since you graduated from Hunter and assuming you live in the NYC area, maybe living somewhere different would be a good experience. :D

Anyways best of luck to you!

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:45 am

I'm glad you know about law school. The word "adventure" in your first post made me wonder if you had an incorrect idea about law school. You sound like you will enjoy law school, so good for you. I still think it is worth looking into existing ways to help children without a law degree, if only so you will understand the environment and the work you will be doing.

I'm sure you know about the difficulty of moving interstate with a law degree due to licensing restrictions. You will be living where you go to school for a long time, so use location first. (Or, if you don't want to stay where you went to school which seems silly,you could always just take the bar wherever you want to live after you graduate law school.) As you have run your own business, I think you could set up a public interest practice yourself after you get some experience. You won't have to worry about making money. This mitigates the idea that you should be sure there are places for you to work after you graduate. As I mentioned, not every not for profit location has the ability to take on longterm unpaid volunteers.

So after location, the next factor should be the school where you will get the best experience for your field. As I said, you should look closely at the programs offered and speak to some of the professors involved with the clinics. You should also make sure that you can get in to the clinics. Many schools advertise clinics, but in reality only a small number of students can attend.

I'm sure you have been to most of these cities but you need to visit the schools. If the programs are equal, I think staying near where you currently live and have a well- established social network is smart.

As you probably know, some of the schools on your list are regarded as schools that have misled their students in the past as to employment statistics and are currently being sued for fraud. I don't know how much that factor matters to you.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:57 am

I think setting up your own non-profit clinic sounds great!

My advice will vary somewhat from what others say because I wouldn't live in Boston if you gave me a full-ride to any school I choose and a million dollars to go with it. If you like Boston and Massachusetts, then by all means go to one of those schools. It will give you a big enough city to find adequate clients, as well as maybe some public grants to help subsidize the bills of keeping the door open.

I can't recommend anyone go to NYLS. Not because it would be bad for you, but because I can't recommend anyone give them anything but a summons and a swift kick in the ass. I'm not as familiar with the other schools, so the same may go for them as well.

Baltimore can be a pretty rough city, as can DC. You'd probably find lots of the kinds of clients you are looking for, as well as the option to be a little more political if you like, but you have to understand that DC is far more about the ghetto than the Mall. Quality of life may not be good, and any decent housing will be insanely expensive. Also, as has been said by others, you'll be up against a lot of competition for PI work. Law students go to DC to do PI, not work for BigLaw like Boston and NYC.

I voted for RWU. I don't know that much about them, but it's not in a huge city, it's not full of Massholes, and all of their marketing material has pretty sailboats on it. Sounds like a winner.

ETA: You'd have a pretty good shot at lots of other schools too. Not sure what your process for choosing school was, but you may want to try more places. Maybe spend a year looking at schools across the country and then apply. I ran your numbers on http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com and you come back pretty good for the tier 2 on down. You may run into trouble when they see your grad date on the BS, but you never know.

What schools didn't you get into that you applied to?

Also, you should start a blog about this. I would read it.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:05 am

viperess wrote:Back in the day I had a 3.6 UGPA and a 3.4 graduate GPA. I took the LSAT last year and scored a 158. Those logic games are something I've never seen the likes of before!

Retake. ED UVA, or possibly NU with your work experience.

(It was just too good!)

kuddlykoala

Postby kuddlykoala » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:12 am

I wish you the best of luck choosing your school! :)

One thing tho, I think your post should be on a different forum.
Most of the forum seems to be geared towards a specific law school and people hearing back or not.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:22 am

Nobody wrote:
viperess wrote:Back in the day I had a 3.6 UGPA and a 3.4 graduate GPA. I took the LSAT last year and scored a 158. Those logic games are something I've never seen the likes of before!

(It was just too good!)

I thought about doing this. I'm glad someone did. Honestly, if OP wants the experience of a fancy top school, she could probably get it if she breaks 170 or so. Not out of the question for someone with a 158 already who obviously has the intellect and study time.

jerichosm

Postby jerichosm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:19 pm

NE School of Law has a Professor that is good friends with my Pre-Law Adviser and the guy is amazing -- his name is Jeremiah Healy and he attended Harvard for his JD

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:38 pm

Opie wrote:
Nobody wrote:

(It was just too good!)

I thought about doing this. I'm glad someone did. Honestly, if OP wants the experience of a fancy top school, she could probably get it if she breaks 170 or so. Not out of the question for someone with a 158 already who obviously has the intellect and study time.

Don't tell her to do that. I don't want some bored woman that wants to have a law degree for shits and giggles to deprive a spot for some other poor sod who is desperately trying to get into a T14 or Tier 1.

I'm sorry if it seems rude, but I know several women that are rich that did the exact thing the OP is doing because they had the idea at book club or whatever. If she stays with these crappy schools, I don't care. But it's a disservice to everyone else if she applies tier 1/T14.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Opie wrote:
Nobody wrote:

(It was just too good!)

Don't tell her to do that. I don't want some bored woman that wants to have a law degree for shits and giggles to deprive a spot for some other poor sod who is desperately trying to get into a T14 or Tier 1.

I'm sorry if it seems rude, but I know several women that are rich that did the exact thing the OP is doing because they had the idea at book club or whatever. If she stays with these crappy schools, I don't care. But it's a disservice to everyone else if she applies tier 1/T14.

She said she wants to do pro-bono work and help people. Seems like a good use of a T14 spot to me.

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Jaeger wrote: I don't want some bored woman that wants to have a law degree for shits and giggles to deprive a spot for some other poor sod who is desperately trying to get into a T14 or Tier 1....

I'm sorry if it seems rude, but I know several women that are rich that did the exact thing the OP is doing because they had the idea at book club or whatever.

Not only rude, but bigoted and sexist. What does the fact that she's a woman have to do with ANYTHING?

Let's stay in the 21st century and on topic, please. She sounds like knows what she's doing and has the admirable purpose of wanting to use her law degree to help underserved communities.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:44 pm

crumpledq wrote:
Jaeger wrote: I don't want some bored woman that wants to have a law degree for shits and giggles to deprive a spot for some other poor sod who is desperately trying to get into a T14 or Tier 1....

I'm sorry if it seems rude, but I know several women that are rich that did the exact thing the OP is doing because they had the idea at book club or whatever.

Not only rude, but bigoted and sexist. What does the fact that she's a woman have to do with ANYTHING?

Let's stay in the 21st century and on topic, please. She sounds like knows what she's doing and has the admirable purpose of wanting to use her law degree to help underserved communities.

That's true. The fact that she's a woman doesn't pertain. I stand by the rest of what I said though.

jerichosm

Postby jerichosm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Opie wrote:
Nobody wrote:

(It was just too good!)

What makes the T14 and Tier 1 schools great is the tremendous amount of competition to get in -- if she can get in, then she will only help to advance the schools...if you don't want her to occupy a spot in one of these schools, even if she could get in, then I guess you and everyone else ought to raise the bar and up the competition.

Personally, I don't like handouts. I'd rather make it into a T14 because I went up against the best and won, not because the best decided that I had a more valid reason for wanting to attend.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:57 pm

jerichosm wrote:

Personally, I don't like handouts. I'd rather make it into a T14 because I went up against the best and won, not because the best decided that I had a more valid reason for wanting to attend.

I'm pretty sure you'd rather make it into a T14 and not care why as opposed to not. So save the romantic "I like to challenge myself" BS.

jerichosm

Postby jerichosm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:59 pm

Jaeger wrote:
jerichosm wrote:

I'm pretty sure you'd rather make it into a T14 and not care why as opposed to not. So save the romantic "I like to challenge myself" BS.

If I took a handout into a T14, I'd probably be crushed by my peers and sit at the bottom of the student body. So again, no thanks. It's not romantic BS. I'm a Republican, after all ;).

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:59 pm

Jaeger wrote:
jerichosm wrote:

retake.

jerichosm

Postby jerichosm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:01 pm

cerealdan wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
jerichosm wrote:

retake.

If you don't mind waiting for the next cycle, then this.

woodscommaL

Postby woodscommaL » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Jaeger wrote:

I am genuinely curious why you think this was a warranted or appropriate comment. The sexist and classist undertone aside, who are you to judge whether or not someone deserves to get into a T14? And what exactly about her goal to provide pro bono aid to children in the system sounded like "shits and giggles" to you? You're right, it would be such a disservice to everyone if Viperess went to Harvard because she'd use her degree to improve the lives of so many parent-less children. That would be soooo terrible for everyone.

This woman has had the desire to go to law school DECADES longer than the rest of us. She can attend any school she wants to without you telling her she is only permitted to go to "crappy schools."

There was nothing okay about your post, and honestly you should be ashamed of yourself for attacking and belittling someone for wanting to achieve a life-long goal.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:14 pm

woodscommaL wrote:
I am genuinely curious why you think this was a warranted or appropriate comment. The sexist and classist undertone aside, who are you to judge whether or not someone deserves to get into a T14? And what exactly about her goal to provide pro bono aid to children in the system sounded like "shits and giggles" to you? You're right, it would be such a disservice to everyone if Viperess went to Harvard because she'd use her degree to improve the lives of so many parent-less children. That would be soooo terrible for everyone.

This woman has had the desire to go to law school DECADES longer than the rest of us. She can attend any school she wants to without you telling her she is only permitted to go to "crappy schools."

There was nothing okay about your post, and honestly you should be ashamed of yourself for attacking and belittling someone for wanting to achieve a life-long goal.

I think I took the "bucket list"/don't need money/over 60 part to mean she is bored. If that's not the case, I truly apologize. However, as I said, I know several people that applied to law schools after getting the idea on a lunch date and they all thought it'd be a "fun thing to do". They phrased it exactly like this. "I want to help impoverished children!" The reality is half of them dropped out halfway through (depriving people that may have actually helped impoverished children a shot). The other half has no intention of helping impoverished children. They just use it as a conversation piece at their parties/for social status.

Edit: How do you know it was a life-long dream? Sounds like her life-long dream was to be a doctor...wouldn't she help more people as a doctor?

woodscommaL

Postby woodscommaL » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Jaeger wrote:
I think I took the "bucket list"/don't need money/over 60 part to mean she is bored. If that's not the case, I truly apologize. However, as I said, I know several people that applied to law schools after getting the idea on a lunch date and they all thought it'd be a "fun thing to do". They phrased it exactly like this. "I want to help impoverished children!" The reality is half of them dropped out halfway through (depriving people that may have actually helped impoverished children a shot). The other half has no intention of helping impoverished children. They just use it as a conversation piece at their parties/for social status.

Edit: How do you know it was a life-long dream? Sounds like her life-long dream was to be a doctor...wouldn't she help more people as a doctor?

How do you know what someone's intentions are? Again, genuinely curious.

viperess wrote:I was always interested in studying law but my family strongly believed that I should go into the medical field. They didn't force me to make that decision, but I got caught up in pleasing them.
I eventually found a niche I enjoyed and practiced for quite a few years. I specialized in sports medicine and diabetic care before retiring in the early 90's.

^^^ She clearly states that she's always wanted to study law and that she WAS a doctor. Perhaps you should learn how to read more effectively before you attend law school or it may not go well for you.

LawperaMan

Postby LawperaMan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:34 pm

I would suggest applying at CUNY in New York as well. Your numbers would be at least competitive. Compared to NYLS or some other schools on the list, they would probably be better at training you for your specific goals, provide better job opportunities upon graduation, and reduce the financial burden considerably. Their application deadline is March 15, so you could still apply. The tuition difference between CUNY Law and NYLS could be money you spend more directly accomplishing your goals. There may be a few other state schools in the areas you are looking at as well.

I admire your goals, so I would love to see you succeed.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Helping kids is so not a good use of a top JD compared to working for BigLaw where your career revolves around screwing some other guy out of the best deal and making sure your client doesn't get screwed by people who can't afford BigLaw.

On second thought Viperess, don't go to a T14, there are lots of whiny college kids that need those spots to get rich. :wink:

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:56 pm

Opie wrote:Helping kids is so not a good use of a top JD compared to working for BigLaw where your career revolves around screwing some other guy out of the best deal and making sure your client doesn't get screwed by people who can't afford BigLaw.

On second thought Viperess, don't go to a T14, there are lots of whiny college kids that need those spots to get rich. :wink:

Exactly.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”