In at Chicago: Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
skers

Platinum

Re: In at Chicago: Class of 2015

Post by skers » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:01 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
It might be different after midnight, but I took both the red and green after dark and it wasn't anything. Sure I saw a drug deal go down, but that's about it.

hahahah that's great. Granted drug deals go on in broad daylight in Ann Arbor but they're marijuana deals so I don't feel that unsafe around them. ;)
Ha, yeah it was definitely harder stuff, but really in my short time in Hyde Park I never felt close to unsafe. I mean it's obviously not the surburbs, but I've lived in worse areas.

naf34

New

Post by naf34 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:23 pm

What do people think about Berkeley vs. Chicago. Are they peer schools? It seems only Chicago, NYU and Columbia are considered peer. But I just saw US News rankings for 2008 (these are the rankings that this past years graduates considered when choosing their school) and Berkeley was ranked 6, but Chicago was tied for 7 with Penn, both below Columbia (4) and NYU (5). Obviously, I don't care about the small distinction in numerical ranking, but I wonder why CCN are grouped together so exclusively. And granted, that is how they are ranked by US News this year, surely one years worth of rankings are not as important as historical rankings which vary quite a bit. Any Thoughts??

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:27 pm

naf34 wrote:What do people think about Berkeley vs. Chicago. Are they peer schools? It seems only Chicago, NYU and Columbia are considered peer. But I just saw US News rankings for 2008 (these are the rankings that this past years graduates considered when choosing their school) and Berkeley was ranked 6, but Chicago was tied for 7 with Penn, both below Columbia (4) and NYU (5). Obviously, I don't care about the small distinction in numerical ranking, but I wonder why CCN are grouped together so exclusively. And granted, that is how they are ranked by US News this year, surely one years worth of rankings are not as important as historical rankings which vary quite a bit. Any Thoughts??
The groupings on TLS for the T14 (HYS, CCN, MVPB, DCNG) are based on how hard it is to get in, not employment prospects or USNWR.

ETA: Though recently, Chicago, Columbia, and NYU have had notably better employment prospects than MVPB.

justicefishywishy

New

Post by justicefishywishy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Xifeng wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Quick question for those of you familiar with Chicago. I'm looking for a hotel to stay at during the ASW and I noticed that most of the ones in the downtown area are kind of pricey. I want to broaden my search to other areas but I don't know what public transit is like in Chicago and I don't want to pick somewhere that makes traveling to the law school too complicated. What are some good areas outside of "the loop" that might be a bit cheaper but still in reasonable reach by public transit?
You'll want to be kind of careful in terms of public transportation. At night especially, you shouldn't take the El into Hyde Park (or so we've been told; you obviously can if you feel comfortable). The 2 (bus) goes directly to the law school during certain hours, and the 6 (bus) gets you pretty close. The Metra is also a good option. If you go farther north than the loop, you're looking at transfers to get down here, so that could be tricky.

If you can, I'd really suggest staying with a student host.
You can also stay at the International House on campus. I think they rent out rooms on a nightly basis during the year. I would avoid the red line/green line by yourself late at night, but if you're with a group then it should be fine (at least I've never gotten mugged that way. Although one of my friends lost his iPhone that way and other one was threatened by a guy who claimed he had a gun).

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:42 pm

Just thought I'd break up all the danger and robbery talk with this cool speech by Leiter at the Midway Dinner at UofC:

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/annual ... ner-speech

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Checking in! I was excited to find my acceptance email when I got back from a much-needed vacation :)

edits

New

Post by edits » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Nelson wrote:
naf34 wrote:What do people think about Berkeley vs. Chicago. Are they peer schools? It seems only Chicago, NYU and Columbia are considered peer. But I just saw US News rankings for 2008 (these are the rankings that this past years graduates considered when choosing their school) and Berkeley was ranked 6, but Chicago was tied for 7 with Penn, both below Columbia (4) and NYU (5). Obviously, I don't care about the small distinction in numerical ranking, but I wonder why CCN are grouped together so exclusively. And granted, that is how they are ranked by US News this year, surely one years worth of rankings are not as important as historical rankings which vary quite a bit. Any Thoughts??
The groupings on TLS for the T14 (HYS, CCN, MVPB, DCNG) are based on how hard it is to get in, not employment prospects or USNWR.

ETA: Though recently, Chicago, Columbia, and NYU have had notably better employment prospects than MVPB.
That said, what's everyone's opinion on choosing between U of C and Northwestern? Assuming I'd want to stay in Chicago after graduation. The NU thread has a lot of love...I'm looking for the flip side (minus the obvious difference in rankings)

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:32 pm

edits wrote:
Nelson wrote:

That said, what's everyone's opinion on choosing between U of C and Northwestern? Assuming I'd want to stay in Chicago after graduation. The NU thread has a lot of love...I'm looking for the flip side (minus the obvious difference in rankings)
What $$ you getting at NU?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:10 pm

vincanity1 wrote:Just thought I'd break up all the danger and robbery talk with this cool speech by Leiter at the Midway Dinner at UofC:

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/annual ... ner-speech
LOL. I didn't realize he had such a great sense of humor. I especially liked:
while most of my colleagues have normal hobbies—Martha Nussbaum, for example, is a devoted White Sox fan, Douglas Baird is a gourmet, and Todd Henderson is the world’s leading collector of preppy clothing—my hobby is different, but perfect for the occasion: I like to rank things.
I wish he'd produce a new ranking of law schools. He ranked Chicago as #2 before he moved there - it must be #1 now :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Don't know if y'all heard, but despite this, we had this (LinkRemoved) going on today. :)

edits

New

Post by edits » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 am

TemporarySaint wrote:
edits wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Nothing (yet.) fingers crossed that will change

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:00 am

Nelson wrote:

I dont think that's entirely accurate, Michigan and Cornell are probably the easiest to get into among T14s, I think groupings are based more on employment than ease of admission.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:28 pm

edits wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
edits wrote:
Nelson wrote:The groupings on TLS for the T14 (HYS, CCN, MVPB, DCNG) are based on how hard it is to get in, not employment prospects or USNWR.

Nothing (yet.) fingers crossed that will change
If you got into Chicago RD, I'd expect you get some kind of $ from NW. In the hypo situation that you don't, comparing sticker v. sticker Chicago definitely wins. If you get money, then things become trickery in terms of how debt adverse you are and how much cash you're getting. I'd say U of C has an edge in placement in Chicago, but you'd have to ask someone else to tell you how much.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Have any of these chats been useful for anyone? I can't access it during the day, but I've been curious about them, so I want to know if I'm missing out.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Have any of these chats been useful for anyone? I can't access it during the day, but I've been curious about them, so I want to know if I'm missing out.
You can read the transcripts after on the ASW. They're OK, you're not missing anything.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:25 pm

Nelson wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Have any of these chats been useful for anyone? I can't access it during the day, but I've been curious about them, so I want to know if I'm missing out.
You can read the transcripts after on the ASW. They're OK, you're not missing anything.
The chats are clearly a marketing tool. I have yet to see any remotely negative info, and even when asked to say something negative, the two students from the first week evaded the question. Having said that, I've actually had some of my questions answered, and the answers were quite informative at times. You aren't missing out if you skip them, but they do include some useful info and provide a decent platform to have questions answered, particular if you have questions that fall within the "hosts" specialty (faculty/academic experience/international law this week). Also keep in mind that they are on central time (so 3 eastern).

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:23 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
Nelson wrote:
The chats are clearly a marketing tool. I have yet to see any remotely negative info, and even when asked to say something negative, the two students from the first week evaded the question. Having said that, I've actually had some of my questions answered, and the answers were quite informative at times. You aren't missing out if you skip them, but they do include some useful info and provide a decent platform to have questions answered, particular if you have questions that fall within the "hosts" specialty (faculty/academic experience/international law this week). Also keep in mind that they are on central time (so 3 eastern).
Yeah this. They're clearly a marketing tool, but I've really enjoyed participating in them. There is some really good info that comes out of it, so at the very least glance over the transcripts and participate in chats based on issues of high importance to you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Onthebrink

Bronze

Post by Onthebrink » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Just got in! I got a the chat email but no admissions email. Apparently my filter ate my admissions email, but phone call confirmed it!

ralph_pootawn

Bronze

Post by ralph_pootawn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Onthebrink wrote:Just got in! I got a the chat email but no admissions email. Apparently my filter ate my admissions email, but phone call confirmed it!
Congrats! roundabout way of finding out!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:44 pm

These chats are great, but some of the questions are :roll:

"with such intellectual intensity, how does Chicago work to bridge the gap between theory and practice?"

What's next? "But don't you think your scholarship has even further-reaching implications?"

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:47 pm

soj wrote:These chats are great, but some of the questions are :roll:

"with such intellectual intensity, how does Chicago work to bridge the gap between theory and practice?"

What's next? "But don't you think your scholarship has even further-reaching implications?"
It's pretty impressive to get knob-slobbing gunning in an anonymous chat.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:50 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
soj wrote:These chats are great, but some of the questions are :roll:

It's pretty impressive to get knob-slobbing gunning in an anonymous chat.
:lol: I am so looking forward to this next year.

seanPtheB

Bronze

Post by seanPtheB » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:54 pm

Just bought my plane tix to Chicago for the Day in the Life of on Feb. 27th because I can't make the ASW. Can't waiiit!

blank403

New

Post by blank403 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:02 pm

How many times are people going to ask about surviving at the law school without being a conservative/majoring in econ? Once per chat?

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:13 pm

blank403 wrote:How many times are people going to ask about surviving at the law school without being a conservative/majoring in econ? Once per chat?
Yeah, the chat's have been disctinctly lacking in RIGOR.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”