STCL c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahmargie

Re: STCL c/o 2015

Postby sarahmargie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 pm

I got accepted today. I called them and they said if I get chosen for a scholarship, I will get a notification sometime before April.

discostud01

Postby discostud01 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:51 am

Just FYI for those who are keeping track of decisions and numbers. I was wait listed on 2/20/2012, and my application was shown to be complete as of 12/8/11, I sent it the first day we could on 12/2/11. I have a low LSAT score of 151, and a cumulative GPA of 3.65. I applied to the part-time program. In their email it stated they received approximately 2,700 applications, and only had 350 seats. I found this odd because it conflicts with the past ABA data showing full-time matriculation at 381, and 80 part-time. I also think it is odd that the applications have grown by 300 considering there have been many news reports of applications to law schools being down, but maybe more people are just trying to stick closer to home.

Does STCL send out mass emails with application fee waivers? It just seems like so many people around the country just apply to every law school they can just to see if they get in and what they could get. I got so many fee waiver emails, but I am stuck in Houston. My job pays for my tuition and I am stuck with my townhome. I am sure if I waited closer to the deadline they may have sent a waiver out to me. STCL looks to be my only choice because of my LSAT score, and TSU isn’t a choice.

MrHaephestus

Postby MrHaephestus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:55 am

FWIW folks . . .

http://www.stcl.edu/admissions/stcl-job-placement.html

I'll give some props to STCL for their employment placement stats. They're one of the few schools I've found that posted their # of surveys sent v. # of students who responded. Although the responses drop significantly where salary is concerned.

sr84

Postby sr84 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:54 pm

Just got the acceptance email :)

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:11 pm

MrHaephestus wrote:FWIW folks . . .

http://www.stcl.edu/admissions/stcl-job-placement.html

I'll give some props to STCL for their employment placement stats. They're one of the few schools I've found that posted their # of surveys sent v. # of students who responded. Although the responses drop significantly where salary is concerned.

They posted all of that after many tier 4 law schools started being sued in a class action suit for misrepresenting employment statistics. There was also a blog post that some professor from another law school wrote which had South Texas at the top of a list of schools with misleading data because of the low response rate for salary information. The point is -- don't expect to make what the numbers say on that page. That salary data is probably for the top 15 percent of the class.

MrHaephestus

Postby MrHaephestus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:20 pm

"They posted all of that after many tier 4 law schools started being sued in a class action suit for misrepresenting employment statistics. There was also a blog post that some professor from another law school wrote which had South Texas at the top of a list of schools with misleading data because of the low response rate for salary information. The point is -- don't expect to make what the numbers say on that page. That salary data is probably for the top 15 percent of the class."

Oh, I assure you I am well aware of the statistics massaging of law schools as well as the recent lawsuits underway. Believe me, I've done plenty of reading on 3rd Tier Reality, Above the Law, 40 Nations, JD Underground et al.

While I've been accepted to STCL, I remain leery of attending without a significant scholarship offer, and STCL is not known for generosity. Last night I had dinner with my friend who attended STCL many years ago. She loved the facilities, the externship program(s), the clinics, and her legal education there in general; however, she was quick to point out that she attended STCL largely because they offered her a sizeable scholarship (she was one of the few). Her advice? You guessed it. Unless you get a significant scholarship offer, don't go.

My acceptance email arrived without any mention of scholarship, but after reviewing LSN I'm not optimistic even though I am at the top of their 75% stats. I have a very "wait and see" approach to STCL. If no significant dinero, then I'll be withdrawing. Racking up 6 figures of non-dischargeable debt and betting on LRAP to help out just seems way too risky.

sarahmargie

Postby sarahmargie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:24 pm

MrHaephestus wrote:"They posted all of that after many tier 4 law schools started being sued in a class action suit for misrepresenting employment statistics. There was also a blog post that some professor from another law school wrote which had South Texas at the top of a list of schools with misleading data because of the low response rate for salary information. The point is -- don't expect to make what the numbers say on that page. That salary data is probably for the top 15 percent of the class."

Oh, I assure you I am well aware of the statistics massaging of law schools as well as the recent lawsuits underway. Believe me, I've done plenty of reading on 3rd Tier Reality, Above the Law, 40 Nations, JD Underground et al.

While I've been accepted to STCL, I remain leery of attending without a significant scholarship offer, and STCL is not known for generosity. Last night I had dinner with my friend who attended STCL many years ago. She loved the facilities, the externship program(s), the clinics, and her legal education there in general; however, she was quick to point out that she attended STCL largely because they offered her a sizeable scholarship (she was one of the few). Her advice? You guessed it. Unless you get a significant scholarship offer, don't go.

My acceptance email arrived without any mention of scholarship, but after reviewing LSN I'm not optimistic even though I am at the top of their 75% stats. I have a very "wait and see" approach to STCL. If no significant dinero, then I'll be withdrawing. Racking up 6 figures of non-dischargeable debt and betting on LRAP to help out just seems way too risky.

Does STCL even have an LRAP program?

MrHaephestus

Postby MrHaephestus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:27 pm

sarahmargie wrote:
MrHaephestus wrote:"They posted all of that after many tier 4 law schools started being sued in a class action suit for misrepresenting employment statistics. There was also a blog post that some professor from another law school wrote which had South Texas at the top of a list of schools with misleading data because of the low response rate for salary information. The point is -- don't expect to make what the numbers say on that page. That salary data is probably for the top 15 percent of the class."

Does STCL even have an LRAP program?

Yup. http://www.stcl.edu/fao/planning_for_repayment.html

austonian

Postby austonian » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:38 pm

Any news? I've looked at LSN and there seems to be very little movement.

miy

Postby miy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:55 pm

I haven't heard anything from them regarding money. They do seem to enjoy keeping me informed on housing options though :roll:

Anyone going to the Admitted Student function in Austin?

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:00 pm

They are being very quiet.

JerichoJohnny

Postby JerichoJohnny » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:43 pm

I sent my application too early, I believe, and have yet to even receive a status checker. My fault, but yes, they are being quiet.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:58 pm

JerichoJohnny wrote:I sent my application too early, I believe, and have yet to even receive a status checker. My fault, but yes, they are being quiet.

Too early?

JerichoJohnny

Postby JerichoJohnny » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:21 am

Yeah, like when they were only accepting applications for Spring 2012. It was an incredibly stupid oversight on my part.

duncan5

Postby duncan5 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:00 am

My application is still in the review process. With a 153/3.76, what are my chances of being accepted? Thanks

Aggie2011

Postby Aggie2011 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Just received my acceptance this Monday for their PT program. :D Hoping for $$$

andresmtz147

Postby andresmtz147 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:35 pm

HI y'all!!! Just got Wait listed today.... 3.52/148 URM. Hopefully I'll hear some good news soon!
congrats to all those who have gotten accepted!!!!

sarahmargie

Postby sarahmargie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:10 pm

I withdrew this morning.

Mactx

Postby Mactx » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:34 pm

In today via status checker and then email a few hours later. Anyone hear about scholarships yet???

153/2.8 URM but I have awesome softs...

discostud01

Postby discostud01 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Thank you for withdrawing :) I got in off the waitlist today. I think they are done with reviewing. There was someone on LSN who showed completed on 3/19 and was accepted yesterday. I don't think they had many applications this year, because they extended the deadline.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:56 pm

discostud01 wrote:Thank you for withdrawing :) I got in off the waitlist today. I think they are done with reviewing. There was someone on LSN who showed completed on 3/19 and was accepted yesterday. I don't think they had many applications this year, because they extended the deadline.

I know more than one person still waiting to hear back and that's without a waitlist, so I don't think they are done reviewing.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:08 pm

Mactx wrote:In today via status checker and then email a few hours later. Anyone hear about scholarships yet???

I'm pretty sure scholarships are purely based on numbers. If you're over their 75 percentiles (or somewhere around there), you'll get a Dean's Scholarship which is about 2300 a semester. I don't think they give out anything else.

sarahmargie

Postby sarahmargie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:27 pm

discostud01 wrote:Thank you for withdrawing :) I got in off the waitlist today. I think they are done with reviewing. There was someone on LSN who showed completed on 3/19 and was accepted yesterday. I don't think they had many applications this year, because they extended the deadline.

They extended the deadline last year, too.

kjames511

Postby kjames511 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:06 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Mactx wrote:In today via status checker and then email a few hours later. Anyone hear about scholarships yet???

I'm pretty sure scholarships are purely based on numbers. If you're over their 75 percentiles (or somewhere around there), you'll get a Dean's Scholarship which is about 2300 a semester. I don't think they give out anything else.

talked to admissions and they said merit based scholarships range anywhere from 3/4k -13/14k a year. I am 158/3.89 and they said to expect a scholarship in the "upper end" of those amounts.

Mactx

Postby Mactx » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:16 pm

nice. congrats.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”