STCL c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
austonian

Re: STCL c/o 2015

Postby austonian » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Jaytray wrote:
austonian wrote:Was there an email that contained status checker login information? I can't seem to find one..

I got one the day I went complete I believe, which was the day after I sent in my application.

Thanks. And congrats on the acceptance!!

TxRenegade2012

Postby TxRenegade2012 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm in. Seriously considering stcl because I got wait listed at UH. Anyone know when scholarship info starts going out

Bluewavesix

Postby Bluewavesix » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 pm

sarahmargie wrote:I want to attend this school. When do the acceptances start coming out?
Which would you say is better, STCL or St. Mary's?

STCL has a slightly better market which may give you a better opportunity to earn higher wages, but St. Mary's is respectable as well. It carries all the way to the tip of Texas. I guess it's going to depend on where you want to practice. 150k in Houston is like 75k in south Texas (excluding San Antonio).

sarahmargie

Postby sarahmargie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:53 pm

I am going to practice south of San Antonio. I don't know if it makes a difference which school I attend, considering where I plan to live.

Bluewavesix

Postby Bluewavesix » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:17 pm

sarahmargie wrote:I am going to practice south of San Antonio. I don't know if it makes a difference which school I attend, considering where I plan to live.

Well the only places I know south of San Antonio, are Corpus and the McAllen/Brownsville area. You should be fine I'm either area with either school. The only school that may not help you is TSU.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:28 am

Bluewavesix wrote:
sarahmargie wrote:I am going to practice south of San Antonio. I don't know if it makes a difference which school I attend, considering where I plan to live.

Well the only places I know south of San Antonio, are Corpus and the McAllen/Brownsville area. You should be fine I'm either area with either school. The only school that may not help you is TSU.

Agreed. Avoid TSU

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:29 am

Bluewavesix wrote:

I wouldn't be this optimistic. South Texas is a decent T4 school (compared to the other T4s), but it's not going to give you a broad range of options coming out of school. The school pumps out litigators, and there aren't that many litigation jobs. Further, you really do have a limit geographically because every region in Texas has its own T4 school from which it can recruit top students (plus all the students from UT, U of H, SMU, Baylor, and T14 schools in other regions).

For anyone considering South Texas, keep in mind that the bottom half of the class probably is forced into a job they don't enjoy and doesn't pay well. Most importantly, do NOT pay for a T4 school with debt. If someone isn't helping you pay or you don't have at least 50 % scholarships, my advice is to choose another career path. Sorry to be gloomy but its better for incoming students to hear it before they start than when they finish.

TxRenegade2012

Postby TxRenegade2012 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:24 am

Mce252 wrote:I'm a current student at South Texas. Feel free to post any questions you might have.

How long did you have to wait for scholarship info? I'm torn between st and tech do it will likely come down to money. I'm considering gambling on ST jus in case I get into uh off waitlist

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:15 pm

TxRenegade2012 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:I'm a current student at South Texas. Feel free to post any questions you might have.

How long did you have to wait for scholarship info? I'm torn between st and tech do it will likely come down to money. I'm considering gambling on ST jus in case I get into uh off waitlist

I think it was March or April. The most you're likely to get is the Dean's Scholarship which is based purely on GPA and LSAT. It's $2300 a semester. Tech could be a good option if you get a lot of scholarship money. However, keep in mind that Tech is far away from major markets and sometimes this makes its financial appeal less appealing overall.

LadyLoo

Postby LadyLoo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:32 pm

austonian wrote:Was there an email that contained status checker login information? I can't seem to find one..

Austonian - if you call the Admissions Office, they can confirm your status and/or resend the e-mail containing your log-in information for the online application status checker. I found out that they had misspelled my e-mail address, so I was not getting anything after I had received the initial "Application Received" e-mail.

Also, my boyfriend just started at STCL this spring, and we have a few friends that are 2Ls and 3Ls there. From their perspective, along with the attorneys that I currently work for, they all say that "no news is good news" in that they usually send rejections first. Knowing that helps keep my mind at ease about this whole process.

Good luck to every one who has been accepted or is currently waiting to find out!

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:40 pm

LadyLoo wrote:

Austonian - if you call the Admissions Office, they can confirm your status and/or resend the e-mail containing your log-in information for the online application status checker. I found out that they had misspelled my e-mail address, so I was not getting anything after I had received the initial "Application Received" e-mail.

Also, my boyfriend just started at STCL this spring, and we have a few friends that are 2Ls and 3Ls there. From their perspective, along with the attorneys that I currently work for, they all say that "no news is good news" in that they usually send rejections first. Knowing that helps keep my mind at ease about this whole process.

Good luck to every one who has been accepted or is currently waiting to find out!

This is not true. Everyone within their admit range got in at the same time right when they started reviewing applications. Those that got waitlisted and rejected usually didn't hear until late in the game. It doesn't make sense that a school would reject all the applicants first when more sought after students probably have other options to consider.

austonian

Postby austonian » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:21 pm

I've heard about merit scholarships being handed out after the first semester or 1L for having good grades. Do you know of many people obtaining these?

turkey

Postby turkey » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Mce252 wrote:This is not true. Everyone within their admit range got in at the same time right when they started reviewing applications. Those that got waitlisted and rejected usually didn't hear until late in the game. It doesn't make sense that a school would reject all the applicants first when more sought after students probably have other options to consider.

Looking at LSN, LadyLoo is actually correct. I am sure it is a mixed bag though.

LadyLoo

Postby LadyLoo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Mce252 wrote:This is not true. Everyone within their admit range got in at the same time right when they started reviewing applications. Those that got waitlisted and rejected usually didn't hear until late in the game. It doesn't make sense that a school would reject all the applicants first when more sought after students probably have other options to consider.

No, I do not think that you are understanding my post. I never said that ALL rejections were sent first. There are applicants that a school would reject (those that aren't even considered for a waitlist) after review of their application and notify them now because they know that they do not want them, just as they notify those that they for sure want to accept. So, yes, you are right about those who are in the admit range that have had their applications reviewed would receive acceptance notifications around the same time. That being said, there are other applications that may not have started the review process just yet. You have to factor in the amount of time there is for applicants to apply... the deadline was just yesterday. From witnessing some of my friends and acquaintances apply to law school in the past - I know and/or have heard of people who applied as soon as they were allowed to apply, and received rejections the day after the application deadline hit for their school (not just STCL). I also knew others that got accepted (not waitlisted) a few days after the deadline, some the day of, and some even weeks after the application deadline who had applied earlier than some of those who got rejected.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:15 pm

LadyLoo wrote:

No, I do not think that you are understanding my post. I never said that ALL rejections were sent first. There are applicants that a school would reject (those that aren't even considered for a waitlist) after review of their application and notify them now because they know that they do not want them, just as they notify those that they for sure want to accept. So, yes, you are right about those who are in the admit range that have had their applications reviewed would receive acceptance notifications around the same time. That being said, there are other applications that may not have started the review process just yet. You have to factor in the amount of time there is for applicants to apply... the deadline was just yesterday. From witnessing some of my friends and acquaintances apply to law school in the past - I know and/or have heard of people who applied as soon as they were allowed to apply, and received rejections the day after the application deadline hit for their school (not just STCL). I also knew others that got accepted (not waitlisted) a few days after the deadline, some the day of, and some even weeks after the application deadline who had applied earlier than some of those who got rejected.

I was replying to the general notion that "no news is good news." It is not true that no news is good news. The only people they reject out of the gate are those that fall below their range of LSAT and GPA. If you're within that range, not hearing back earlier in the process is not an indicatation of good news.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:19 pm

turkey wrote:

Looking at LSN, LadyLoo is actually correct. I am sure it is a mixed bag though.

LSN is not an accurate representation of admissions for South Texas.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:20 pm

austonian wrote:

I've heard about merit scholarships being handed out after the first semester or 1L for having good grades. Do you know of many people obtaining these?

Yes, the top 15 % of the class will be given a Dean's Merit Scholarship if they were not given one upon admission. Students are also eligble for continuing student merit scholarships in their second year based mainly upon GPA and financial need.

LadyLoo

Postby LadyLoo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Mce252 wrote:
I was replying to the general notion that "no news is good news." It is not true that no news is good news. The only people they reject out of the gate are those that fall below their range of LSAT and GPA. If you're within that range, not hearing back earlier in the process is not an indicatation of good news.

Ahhh, I'm following you. It is not actual fact, it's just what I have heard from the attorneys I have worked for and currently work for, as well as law students with regard to the "waiting game" of the application process. Just because you haven't heard something, does not mean that it is necessarily bad, although it very well could be. Trying to encompass that the admissions process has multiple factors that not dependent on the applicant. I appreciate your input! I believe we are on the same page, just explaining ourselves differently.

turkey

Postby turkey » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Mce252 wrote:
turkey wrote:

You mean people's actual input of when they applied, how long it took and then they were accepted/rejected isn't representative of the admission process? Okay then.

Look, I am sure you are helpful in some ways, but people are stressed out enough as it is...not sure why you felt the need to jump on this thread and post nothing but negative thoughts. Not even so much as a "good luck" to those applying.

If you aren't happy there or don't think the prospects are worth it, I can totally understand that. Personally I wouldn't choose STCL as my first choice, but I support those who would.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:01 pm

turkey wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
turkey wrote:

You mean people's actual input of when they applied, how long it took and then they were accepted/rejected isn't representative of the admission process? Okay then.

Look, I am sure you are helpful in some ways, but people are stressed out enough as it is...not sure why you felt the need to jump on this thread and post nothing but negative thoughts. Not even so much as a "good luck" to those applying.

If you aren't happy there or don't think the prospects are worth it, I can totally understand that. Personally I wouldn't choose STCL as my first choice, but I support those who would.

Please look at the number of self-reported statistics. South Texas received 2500 applications last year. Even if you take them at face value, there aren't nearly enough to give you an accurate picture.

And I'm sorry that I'm not cuddly enough for you, but you need to be stressed if you fall into any of the categories that I previously mentioned -- mainly paying tuition at STCL with debt.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:06 pm

lol...wow. this thread turned to crap in a hurry.

Everyone needs to chill out and eat some fruit or something. I have STCL on my list and a cousin who attended. Took him four months to get an acceptance half way through the cycle and that was without a wait list. There are no absolutes. None of us are adcomm's (are we??). Just relax and see what happens.

TxRenegade2012

Postby TxRenegade2012 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:01 pm

Mce252 wrote:
TxRenegade2012 wrote:

I think it was March or April. The most you're likely to get is the Dean's Scholarship which is based purely on GPA and LSAT. It's $2300 a semester. Tech could be a good option if you get a lot of scholarship money. However, keep in mind that Tech is far away from major markets and sometimes this makes its financial appeal less appealing overall.

Locations not as big a deal to me as most people. I'm living in Abilene currently and if it weren't for the school I'm at I'd love it. Besides. Lotsore room to shoot out in the big country.

Bluewavesix

Postby Bluewavesix » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:13 am

NomNom wrote:lol...wow. this thread turned to crap in a hurry.

Everyone needs to chill out and eat some fruit or something. I have STCL on my list and a cousin who attended. Took him four months to get an acceptance half way through the cycle and that was without a wait list. There are no absolutes. None of us are adcomm's (are we??). Just relax and see what happens.

+1

dreambig

Postby dreambig » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:45 am

Application complete: 2/3
Accepted: 2/15

Waiting on scholarship info...

MrHaephestus

Postby MrHaephestus » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:04 am

I wouldn't be this optimistic. South Texas is a decent T4 school (compared to the other T4s), but it's not going to give you a broad range of options coming out of school. The school pumps out litigators, and there aren't that many litigation jobs. Further, you really do have a limit geographically because every region in Texas has its own T4 school from which it can recruit top students (plus all the students from UT, U of H, SMU, Baylor, and T14 schools in other regions).

For anyone considering South Texas, keep in mind that the bottom half of the class probably is forced into a job they don't enjoy and doesn't pay well. Most importantly, do NOT pay for a T4 school with debt. If someone isn't helping you pay or you don't have at least 50 % scholarships, my advice is to choose another career path. Sorry to be gloomy but its better for incoming students to hear it before they start than when they finish.

I would most emphatically have to agree with the above statements. Consider very, very carefully where you attend law school especially if you will be taking on a large debt load. TTTT schools generally have a hellish curve and thus even if you rode in on a scholarship you may find it taken away from you should you not make the cut. I, myself, have been accepted at several schools and most have offered a scholarship, but the amounts and the stipulations vary widely. For example, on school offered me 20K per year as long as I stayed in the top 50% of the class. That offer seems pretty reasonable, but it's also at a school that will bind me to its city for a few years - provided I can even find a job. Bear in mind, the legal market is heavily saturated and you really, really must be 100% committed and deadset on practicing law if you want to go to law school, but I digress. Anyway, I am currently waiting on a small handful of schools to get back to me with their offers, but suffice it to say the school that gets the right blend of scholly money, terms, and location will be where I attend. In other words, if a school does not make it fiscally "do-able" for me, then I will really have to reevaluate attending there - especially since I am first and foremost seeking a DA position.

If you are thinking of going into six figures of debt to attend a regional school, consider going forward very carefully. Even with a scholarship offer, you may find yourself stuck cross-subsidizing if you lose it.

Finally, I would suggest that anyone considering a TTT/TTTT school be mentally prepared to make the town in which that school lies your home for quite some time. It's a pretty rare student, if any, that are going to transport that degree to, say, NYC, DC, etc.

FWIW - I applied to STCL and am awaiting their decision on admission, but I am from H-Town and know an alum in government service, but that may not amount to much.

Cheers!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”