STCL c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mce252

Silver

Re: STCL c/o 2015

Post by Mce252 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:14 am

kjames511 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
Mactx wrote:In today via status checker and then email a few hours later. Anyone hear about scholarships yet???

153/2.8 URM but I have awesome softs...
I'm pretty sure scholarships are purely based on numbers. If you're over their 75 percentiles (or somewhere around there), you'll get a Dean's Scholarship which is about 2300 a semester. I don't think they give out anything else.

talked to admissions and they said merit based scholarships range anywhere from 3/4k -13/14k a year. I am 158/3.89 and they said to expect a scholarship in the "upper end" of those amounts.
I assure you that this is not true. My numbers were similar and I had a higher LSAT. The stats for incoming students hasn't changed. All I got was a Dean's Merit Scholarship. (4600 per year) No one in my section has a scholarship for an amount greater than this unless it's from an outside source. They have other scholarships but they aren't distributed until fall of 2L year based on 1L grades. Whoever told you that was completely deceiving you.

kjames511

New

Post by kjames511 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:55 am

Mce252 wrote:
kjames511 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
Mactx wrote:In today via status checker and then email a few hours later. Anyone hear about scholarships yet???

153/2.8 URM but I have awesome softs...
I'm pretty sure scholarships are purely based on numbers. If you're over their 75 percentiles (or somewhere around there), you'll get a Dean's Scholarship which is about 2300 a semester. I don't think they give out anything else.

talked to admissions and they said merit based scholarships range anywhere from 3/4k -13/14k a year. I am 158/3.89 and they said to expect a scholarship in the "upper end" of those amounts.
I assure you that this is not true. My numbers were similar and I had a higher LSAT. The stats for incoming students hasn't changed. All I got was a Dean's Merit Scholarship. (4600 per year) No one in my section has a scholarship for an amount greater than this unless it's from an outside source. They have other scholarships but they aren't distributed until fall of 2L year based on 1L grades. Whoever told you that was completely deceiving you.
If that is the case do you think that all the people on LSN are lying about their scholarship amounts?... I find that highly unlikely. See here: http://southtexas.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... order=desc if you look many people claim they got scholarships for 12.4k/ year

sarahmargie

Bronze

Post by sarahmargie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:12 am

I have heard that some schools stack scholarship recipients all into one section so that fewer of them are able to keep their scholarships (because of the curve in each individual class, it would be harder to maintain a certain GPA). Also, I guess scholarship recipients and non-scholarship recipients wouldn't have a lot of interaction. I have heard that. I hope it is not true. But it would explain the apparently conflicting information coming from this thread and LSN.

Also, people on LSN and TLS do lie about their scholarships. They put them up there because that's what they expect to get or hope to get. I don't think a whole lot of people do that, but I know some do. One guy had his scholarship for SMU posted on both sites a month before SMU even began releasing admissions decisions.

I met an admissions representative from STCL and she told me 1L scholarships are small and rare, and that they tend to be more generous with continuing students. She told me to expect little or nothing my first year, and that if I did well I would get scholarships for subsequent years. I was not awarded a scholarship at all before I withdrew.

My whole point here is, who knows? Law school admissions and scholarship decisions are weird. But I bet the current student at STCL knows what he's talking about, unless of course all the big scholarship recipients are stacked up together in some section far away from him.

kjames511

New

Post by kjames511 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:15 am

sarahmargie wrote:I have heard that some schools stack scholarship recipients all into one section so that fewer of them are able to keep their scholarships (because of the curve in each individual class, it would be harder to maintain a certain GPA). Also, I guess scholarship recipients and non-scholarship recipients wouldn't have a lot of interaction. I have heard that. I hope it is not true. But it would explain the apparently conflicting information coming from this thread and LSN.

Also, people on LSN and TLS do lie about their scholarships. They put them up there because that's what they expect to get or hope to get. I don't think a whole lot of people do that, but I know some do. One guy had his scholarship for SMU posted on both sites a month before SMU even began releasing admissions decisions.

I met an admissions representative from STCL and she told me 1L scholarships are small and rare, and that they tend to be more generous with continuing students. She told me to expect little or nothing my first year, and that if I did well I would get scholarships for subsequent years. I was not awarded a scholarship at all before I withdrew.

My whole point here is, who knows? Law school admissions and scholarship decisions are weird. But I bet the current student at STCL knows what he's talking about, unless of course all the big scholarship recipients are stacked up together in some section far away from him.

Those are all good points. Well I guess all we can do is wait and see. I hope to hear back from them soon. Unless I get a huge scholarship, I will either be attending UH or Emory.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 am

kjames511 wrote: If that is the case do you think that all the people on LSN are lying about their scholarship amounts?... I find that highly unlikely. See here: http://southtexas.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... order=desc if you look many people claim they got scholarships for 12.4k/ year
Many of those people are reporting their scholarship amounts for all three years (about 4600x3). Even this is presumptuous because you have to maintain a certain class rank to keep it after your first year. And pure probability says that you probably won't make the cut. If any are higher than 14K (for three years), they are receiving them from the alumni association or an outside source, not directly from the school's scholarship office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kjames511

New

Post by kjames511 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 am

Mce252 wrote:
kjames511 wrote: If that is the case do you think that all the people on LSN are lying about their scholarship amounts?... I find that highly unlikely. See here: http://southtexas.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... order=desc if you look many people claim they got scholarships for 12.4k/ year
Many of those people are reporting their scholarship amounts for all three years (about 4600x3). Even this is presumptuous because you have to maintain a certain class rank to keep it after your first year. And pure probability says that you probably won't make the cut. If any are higher than 14K (for three years), they are receiving them from the alumni association or an outside source, not directly from the school's scholarship office.

Alright, all I am saying is that If you actually look at the students "additional information" in LSN they often specify that the scholarship is per year. Here are 2 examples I found by just clicking on students usernames: "STCL - Dean's Scholarship is $12,400 for the first year and continues if GPA remains above 3.0. " another one says "$12,400- Scholarship is per year".

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:55 am

kjames511 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

Alright, all I am saying is that If you actually look at the students "additional information" in LSN they often specify that the scholarship is per year. Here are 2 examples I found by just clicking on students usernames: "STCL - Dean's Scholarship is $12,400 for the first year and continues if GPA remains above 3.0. " another one says "$12,400- Scholarship is per year".
If they called it a "Dean's Scholarship," it's definitely not true. I promise I'm quite familiar with my tuition statement which includes a Dean's Scholarship. I only wish it was $12,400 per year. South Texas doesn't have that kind of money to give out. People love to inflate their scholarship amounts to make themselves feel better about their cycle.

austonian

New

Post by austonian » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:06 am

I'm still waiting on a decision. Application complete 2/01/12.

LadyLoo

New

Post by LadyLoo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:09 am

I am still waiting as well (from both STCL and UH, for what it's worth). Application complete 1/11/12.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mactx

New

Post by Mactx » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:09 pm

LadyLoo wrote:I am still waiting as well (from both STCL and UH, for what it's worth). Application complete 1/11/12.
I think STCL must just pick apps randomly to review because I sent my app in on the final day (2/15) and already heard back.

Jaytray

New

Post by Jaytray » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Mce252 wrote:
kjames511 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

If they called it a "Dean's Scholarship," it's definitely not true. I promise I'm quite familiar with my tuition statement which includes a Dean's Scholarship. I only wish it was $12,400 per year. South Texas doesn't have that kind of money to give out. People love to inflate their scholarship amounts to make themselves feel better about their cycle.
I was offered a "Dean's Merit Scholarship" in the amount of 18K a year starting next year.

Mactx

New

Post by Mactx » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:27 pm

Jaytray wrote:I was offered a "Dean's Merit Scholarship" in the amount of 18K a year starting next year.
When did that come in?

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Jaytray wrote: I was offered a "Dean's Merit Scholarship" in the amount of 18K a year starting next year.
Oh wow. I apologize. Everyone I know that is actually attending right now received the same scholarship amount as me. Do you have numbers that are a lot higher than their averages/were accepted to several better schools? Maybe I'm not aware of these offers because many don't take the scholarships and go to other schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bringyourlunch

New

Post by bringyourlunch » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Jaytray wrote: I was offered a "Dean's Merit Scholarship" in the amount of 18K a year starting next year.
Oh wow. I apologize. Everyone I know that is actually attending right now received the same scholarship amount as me. Do you have numbers that are a lot higher than their averages/were accepted to several better schools? Maybe I'm not aware of these offers because many don't take the scholarships and go to other schools.

I received the same thing, 18k a year. It's a tempting offer, but I am still leaning towards SMU with $78,000. 165/3.5

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 pm

bringyourlunch wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

I received the same thing, 18k a year. It's a tempting offer, but I am still leaning towards SMU with $78,000. 165/3.5
I see. You're way over their averages. In reality, I don't think very many students that actually attend STCL receive that money. I think most people, like you, take the opportunity at the higher ranked schools. I'd do the same thing.

Aside from my mistaken perception about scholarships that are given, I think it's fair to say for those of you who don't have acceptances to much higher ranked T1/T2 schools, you probably won't receive much more than a couple thousand a semester.

miy

Bronze

Post by miy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:43 am

I received the same 18k/yr with the 3.0 stip. Does anyone know what percentage of every incoming class has merit based scholarships every year?

NomNom

Bronze

Post by NomNom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 am

Apparently a lot of people are way over the average.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:18 am

NomNom wrote:Apparently a lot of people are way over the average.
Is this sarcastic? Their average is way below many of the other schools in Texas so this isn't unusual. People send apps to South Texas as an extreme back up when they want to go to school in Texas. Like the poster with the 165/3.5.

miy

Bronze

Post by miy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:42 pm

This

It makes me wonder how many people who recieve these kinds of scholarships actually end up matriculating. I'm having to give it some pretty serious thought at this point simply because I haven't heard back from any of my target schools yet :/

Aaaand did anyone else laugh at the timing of these schollys? 4 days before the 1st Seat deposit is due, haha. They want my $100.

bringyourlunch

New

Post by bringyourlunch » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:28 pm

miy wrote:This

It makes me wonder how many people who recieve these kinds of scholarships actually end up matriculating. I'm having to give it some pretty serious thought at this point simply because I haven't heard back from any of my target schools yet :/

Aaaand did anyone else laugh at the timing of these schollys? 4 days before the 1st Seat deposit is due, haha. They want my $100.
I lol'd. I am giving it some heavy consideration, but the 4th tier ranking really scares me.

bringyourlunch

New

Post by bringyourlunch » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:33 pm

however, paying 9000 a year for tuition is extremely tempting

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:43 pm

bringyourlunch wrote:however, paying 9000 a year for tuition is extremely tempting
It's not worth it if you have other T1/T2 options.

miy

Bronze

Post by miy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:19 am

Mce252 wrote:
bringyourlunch wrote:however, paying 9000 a year for tuition is extremely tempting
Um...

it's definitely worth a serious consideration. Would you rather be a $250,000 in debt before you even have a job? or $25,000?

NomNom

Bronze

Post by NomNom » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:08 am

Mce252 wrote:
I thought you supposedly went to STCL. If true, you must be having a rough time of it because you seem to be pretty negative through this entire thread.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:35 am

miy wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
Um...

it's definitely worth a serious consideration. Would you rather be a $250,000 in debt before you even have a job? or $25,000?

If you knew you were going to be in the top quarter of your class at STCL, options aren't that bad. But a cursory look at the employment statistics, including the number of students who do not report salaries and the number of students who are not employed in full-time bar required jobs, will help you make the right decision.

$250,000 in debt versus $25,000 in debt is an unlikely scenario as well. Even only paying 9K a year in tuition, you would have to keep your cost of living down to nearly $2000 a year to come out with that little debt. The poster who had 18 K at STCL also had 78K at SMU, which is the most expensive alternative in Texas (or close to it). And those scholarships are not guaranteed. If you blow 1L exams, and end up in the bottom of the class, which 50 % of attending students do, you're just flat out screwed in the job market.
Last edited by Mce252 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”