STCL c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mce252

Silver

Re: STCL c/o 2015

Post by Mce252 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:37 am

NomNom wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
bringyourlunch wrote:however, paying 9000 a year for tuition is extremely tempting
It's not worth it if you have other T1/T2 options.
I thought you supposedly went to STCL. If true, you must be having a rough time of it because you seem to be pretty negative through this entire thread.

I do go to STCL. My time here has been fine but I'm at or close to the top of my class. And even then, it hasn't been exactly easy to find good summer work. I'm transferring out at the end of this semester. I would not suggest planning on transferring either. I took a huge risk.

kjames511

New

Post by kjames511 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:19 pm

for those of you wondering I am 158/3.89 and was offered 13k/year renewable today with a 3.0 stip. Will probably be withdrawing

bringyourlunch

New

Post by bringyourlunch » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Mce252 wrote:
miy wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
bringyourlunch wrote:however, paying 9000 a year for tuition is extremely tempting
It's not worth it if you have other T1/T2 options.
Um...

it's definitely worth a serious consideration. Would you rather be a $250,000 in debt before you even have a job? or $25,000?

If you knew you were going to be in the top quarter of your class at STCL, options aren't that bad. But a cursory look at the employment statistics, including the number of students who do not report salaries and the number of students who are not employed in full-time bar required jobs, will help you make the right decision.

$250,000 in debt versus $25,000 in debt is an unlikely scenario as well. Even only paying 9K a year in tuition, you would have to keep your cost of living down to nearly $2000 a year to come out with that little debt. The poster who had 18 K at STCL also had 78K at SMU, which is the most expensive alternative in Texas (or close to it). And those scholarships are not guaranteed. If you blow 1L exams, and end up in the bottom of the class, which 50 % of attending students do, you're just flat out screwed in the job market.
I would not come out with 250,000 in debt at SMU. A more realistic number would be around 80,000. STCL scholly has the 3.0 stipulation, and SMU has no stipulation.

Bluewavesix

New

Post by Bluewavesix » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:32 pm

This "pulling files at random" policy needs to change. I had to put down a deposit already, and will no longer consider STCL.

austonian

New

Post by austonian » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Any others still holding out? Or have you gone the ways of Bluewavesix and now totally disregard STCL!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Prospecta8571

New

Post by Prospecta8571 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:41 pm

I do not mind the 'at random' policy since I applied later in the game (Jan), but if this is their modus operandi, they should work a little overtime and release all decisions before seat deposits become due at most other institutions. Also, I never heard about any type of scholarship offer and will be withdrawing today. I hope that my spot goes to someone who is still waiting! Good luck everyone!

Bluewavesix

New

Post by Bluewavesix » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:36 pm

lol, well in all honesty, I probably would have not attended STCL either way. I'm sure it's a fine school. Things just didn't pan out that way for me. I'm not withdrawing quite yet. I still have the opportunity to go, should they offer me a decent scholarship.

NomNom

Bronze

Post by NomNom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:53 pm

I'm still in the random draw pile. I put down a deposit elsewhere yesterday. We'll see.

LadyLoo

New

Post by LadyLoo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:08 pm

I am still waiting to hear as well... from both UH and STCL. It is a bit frustrating to not know anything, especially since I do NOT want to leave Houston whatsoever. I will take acceptance to either school, but would prefer STCL given my network there (both current students and attorneys that have graduated). I also prefer the convenience of being downtown (I live in The Heights). So we shall see...

Hopefully those of us waiting will hear something very soon. Sending positive thoughts to everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:55 pm

LadyLoo wrote:I am still waiting to hear as well... from both UH and STCL. It is a bit frustrating to not know anything, especially since I do NOT want to leave Houston whatsoever. I will take acceptance to either school, but would prefer STCL given my network there (both current students and attorneys that have graduated). I also prefer the convenience of being downtown (I live in The Heights). So we shall see...

Hopefully those of us waiting will hear something very soon. Sending positive thoughts to everyone!
It's certainly your right to choose STCL over UH, but you realize that you would be purposefully limiting your options out of law school, right? There are dozens of employers that recruit at UH and refuse to recruit at South Texas. Regardless of your network with STCL grads, most if not all recent grads would say you would be making a bad decision.

NomNom

Bronze

Post by NomNom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:59 pm

This just in: mce252 HATES STCL.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:24 pm

NomNom wrote:This just in: mce252 HATES STCL.
Hate is inaccurate. I give it the respect it deserves. There are just too many people that have distorted views of what going to an unranked law school really means. To turn down a high T2 school for South Texas is a big mistake.

LadyLoo

New

Post by LadyLoo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:05 pm

Mce252 wrote:
LadyLoo wrote:I am still waiting to hear as well... from both UH and STCL. It is a bit frustrating to not know anything, especially since I do NOT want to leave Houston whatsoever. I will take acceptance to either school, but would prefer STCL given my network there (both current students and attorneys that have graduated). I also prefer the convenience of being downtown (I live in The Heights). So we shall see...

It's certainly your right to choose STCL over UH, but you realize that you would be purposefully limiting your options out of law school, right? There are dozens of employers that recruit at UH and refuse to recruit at South Texas. Regardless of your network with STCL grads, most if not all recent grads would say you would be making a bad decision.
I understand where you are coming from. However, a person's choice to attend a law school, whatever school that may be, is their choice alone. Some people are rely on scholarship money they receive, some people rely on where the school is geographically located, and some people just have an affinity to one school over another. I prefer South Texas because of my legal network, the partners that have been a mentor to me over the years that went to STCL, and because I just prefer it. That's it. Will I turn down UH if I don't get into STCL, of course not. But it is not fair of you to say I am "purposefully limiting my options out of law school"... you do not know me at all, my resume, my work ethic, or my reasons for pursuing a law degree... you know nothing about me or anyone else on this forum for that matter.

I have been in the legal industry all through undergrad and since I graduated from college 3 years ago... the firm I worked at in Fort Worth and the firm I currently work at here in Houston have STCL graduates as partners and employees. My boss is a former STCL graduate that has been at this firm since she graduated from law school. She worked her way to partner within only a few years out of school. This firm isn't huge, but it is one of the largest boutique firms in the city for the type of law that we practice, and is very well respected throughout central Texas.

STCL is a fine school. Just because someone attends a top law school in the country or state does NOT guarantee them anything. The legal profession is not all about who is going to recruit you and what corporate job you think you can get that pays big bucks right out of law school. It is also about PASSION for the law and providing your expertise of the law to those in need of your knowledge. It is a career choice of service, should you use your degree it to actually serve people, as opposed to being a pawn in the corporate world and/or not even use your JD to practice law. Your schooling is what you make of it... I know of quite a few people in desperate positions because their school was their "ticket" in their mind, and I also know plenty of very, very successful attorneys that did not attend a "top" school.

I get that you are trying to be helpful, but it seems like you are just trolling this forum with comments that are cynical as opposed to supportive for those of us still waiting to hear back.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:24 pm

If you don't get into STCL, you're def not getting into UH.

All of that seems fine and dandy but it would still be unwise to choose a school that most legal professionals across the state find subpar (according to peer stats from USNWR) -- all based upon an employer that went to STCL.

If you have a sure-thing connection, I'm not saying you're in a bad position going to South Texas. But it still doesn't make sense to go there over UH.

NomNom

Bronze

Post by NomNom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:26 pm

LadyLoo wrote:I get that you are trying to be helpful, but it seems like you are just trolling this forum with comments that are cynical as opposed to supportive for those of us still waiting to hear back.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:28 pm

NomNom wrote:
LadyLoo wrote:I get that you are trying to be helpful, but it seems like you are just trolling this forum with comments that are cynical as opposed to supportive for those of us still waiting to hear back.
This is supportive. You just might be seeking blind optimism.

NomNom

Bronze

Post by NomNom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Mce252 wrote:
NomNom wrote:
You know nothing about anyone's situation. I am guessing I am quite a bit older than you are and you have no idea about my situation or where my decade+ long career has taken me....and it isn't headed towards big law. These broad stroke comments of gloom you make may be applicable to some people's situations, but they are not to everyone's. You are at a law school you are miserable at - perhaps this is your way of making yourself feel better. Whatever the case may be, nobody asked for these comments. I know I certainly didn't.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LadyLoo

New

Post by LadyLoo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:38 pm

NomNom wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
NomNom wrote:
You know nothing about anyone's situation. I am guessing I am quite a bit older than you are and you have no idea about my situation or where my decade+ long career has taken me....and it isn't headed towards big law. These broad stroke comments of gloom you make may be applicable to some people's situations, but they are not to everyone's. You are at a law school you are miserable at - perhaps this is your way of making yourself feel better. Whatever the case may be, nobody asked for these comments. I know I certainly didn't.
+1

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm not sure why it's so frustrating that going to UH over STCL if you have both options is clearly the best thing to do. This is about employment statistics. Everyone thinks they are unique going into law school.

NomNom

Bronze

Post by NomNom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:01 pm

I can see why you hate law school.

LadyLoo

New

Post by LadyLoo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:04 pm

Mce252 wrote:I'm not sure why it's so frustrating that going to UH over STCL if you have both options is clearly the best thing to do. This is about employment statistics. Everyone thinks they are unique going into law school.
There is nothing frustrating about this at all, other than the fact that your cynicism and negative commentary are not warranted here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:18 pm

NomNom wrote:I can see why you hate law school.
I love law school. Enjoy STCL too. Just wish so many people didnt graduate without jobs.

To the other poster: there is nothing I have said about STCL that cannot be confirmed by a study of the employment numbers. Call me negative but I'm being realistic.

sarahmargie

Bronze

Post by sarahmargie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Mce252 wrote:
I love law school. Enjoy STCL too. Just wish so many people didnt graduate without jobs.

To the other poster: there is nothing I have said about STCL that cannot be confirmed by a study of the employment numbers. Call me negative but I'm being realistic.
The other posters are not saying that you are wrong, just that this is the wrong thread for that kind of talk. In fact, there is a notice about not doing this.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=146613

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:59 pm

sarahmargie wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

The other posters are not saying that you are wrong, just that this is the wrong thread for that kind of talk. In fact, there is a notice about not doing this.
Ban me. It's finals season.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:06 pm

Mce252 wrote:
sarahmargie wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

Ban me. It's finals season.

Have you decided which school you would try transferring to?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”