Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:52 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
kaveman wrote:"This" is a pronoun; a pronoun must refer to (replace) a specific noun; we can only replace "this" with the "$75000 Fellowship." I look forward to your next substantive argument, something along the lines of, "No."


You're wrong.


He really isn't. The statement almost surely means 75K total, but the wording could be phrased in a more clear manner. It's not hard to imagine that people would misunderstand it to mean 75k per year.


Actually "this" can be used as a pronoun, adjective, or adverb. In the instance outlined above, it is used as an adjective to describe the word "grant", and signifies that the writer is referring to the specific grant previously mentioned.

It doesn't speak to the dollar value at all. I can see how someone would get confused by it, and I don't think it is particularly clear writing, but "this" cannot be replaced with "$75000 Fellowship". If you want to use a replacement test, replace it with "the previously mentioned".

Just because it was mentioned that the grant is for $75000 and that it is renewable, you cannot assume that the amount is $75000 per year or in total. There isn't enough information in the sentence to infer this.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:59 pm

Opie wrote:Actually "this" can be used as a pronoun, adjective, or adverb. In the instance outlined above, it is used as an adjective to describe the word "grant", and signifies that the writer is referring to the specific grant previously mentioned.

It doesn't speak to the dollar value at all. I can see how someone would get confused by it, and I don't think it is particularly clear writing, but "this" cannot be replaced with "$75000 Fellowship". If you want to use a replacement test, replace it with "the previously mentioned".

Just because it was mentioned that the grant is for $75000 and that it is renewable, you cannot assume that the amount is $75000 per year or in total. There isn't enough information in the sentence to infer this.


^ This. Well done, Opie.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:01 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Opie wrote:Actually "this" can be used as a pronoun, adjective, or adverb. In the instance outlined above, it is used as an adjective to describe the word "grant", and signifies that the writer is referring to the specific grant previously mentioned.

It doesn't speak to the dollar value at all. I can see how someone would get confused by it, and I don't think it is particularly clear writing, but "this" cannot be replaced with "$75000 Fellowship". If you want to use a replacement test, replace it with "the previously mentioned".

Just because it was mentioned that the grant is for $75000 and that it is renewable, you cannot assume that the amount is $75000 per year or in total. There isn't enough information in the sentence to infer this.


^ This. Well done, Opie.


Thanks! I thought I'd grammar nazi it a bit.

lookingformoney
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby lookingformoney » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:30 pm

well actually, we're all wrong. Since I called today and it is 7500 PER year. 7500. yes one less zero. What a horrible typo:( And it was even printed, dated, and signed. Bad PR?

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:34 pm

lookingformoney wrote:well actually, we're all wrong. Since I called today and it is 7500 PER year. 7500. yes one less zero. What a horrible typo:( And it was even printed, dated, and signed. Bad PR?


Ohhh.. Ouch. That sucks. I'm sorry.

kaveman
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby kaveman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:37 pm

lookingformoney wrote:well actually, we're all wrong. Since I called today and it is 7500 PER year. 7500. yes one less zero. What a horrible typo:( And it was even printed, dated, and signed. Bad PR?


Turns out it wasn't badly worded at all, sans typo. But I'm really sorry to hear that. Might as well try to get them to raise it though.

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby AmandaPB » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Oh god, that typo is terrible. I’m glad you didn’t make your decision based on that letter!

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:41 pm

I'm right for telling you to call. You owe me you 50% of that scholly muney if you take it.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby aekea » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:41 pm

lookingformoney wrote:well actually, we're all wrong. Since I called today and it is 7500 PER year. 7500. yes one less zero. What a horrible typo:( And it was even printed, dated, and signed. Bad PR?

Did they at least apologize profusely to you?

kaveman
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby kaveman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Opie wrote:
ColtsFan88 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
kaveman wrote:"This" is a pronoun; a pronoun must refer to (replace) a specific noun; we can only replace "this" with the "$75000 Fellowship." I look forward to your next substantive argument, something along the lines of, "No."


You're wrong.


He really isn't. The statement almost surely means 75K total, but the wording could be phrased in a more clear manner. It's not hard to imagine that people would misunderstand it to mean 75k per year.


Actually "this" can be used as a pronoun, adjective, or adverb. In the instance outlined above, it is used as an adjective to describe the word "grant", and signifies that the writer is referring to the specific grant previously mentioned.

It doesn't speak to the dollar value at all. I can see how someone would get confused by it, and I don't think it is particularly clear writing, but "this" cannot be replaced with "$75000 Fellowship". If you want to use a replacement test, replace it with "the previously mentioned".

Just because it was mentioned that the grant is for $75000 and that it is renewable, you cannot assume that the amount is $75000 per year or in total. There isn't enough information in the sentence to infer this.


I realized shortly after my last post that it was actually being used as an adjective, so you're right about that. But let's use your replacement test: "the previously mentioned grant is renewable each year" (or something)... to me, renewable here means that that's the yearly amount, since "75000" is also being used as an adjective. Anyway, I'm sorry I posted in the first place because I forgot that it would spark 30 subsequent posts on TLS. Sorry to the original writer, hopefully he/she can negotiate that 7500 up.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:44 pm

kaveman wrote:hopefully he/she can negotiate that 7500 up.


...to $75k a year

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:59 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
kaveman wrote:hopefully he/she can negotiate that 7500 up.


...to $75k a year


I would go to pretty much any law school if they gave me $75k a year. At least if that was guaranteed.

lookingformoney
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby lookingformoney » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:16 pm

i will try to negotiate and see what happens. pretty bad though. obviously 75K is an outrageous scholarship, but they should at least review their scholarship letter before printing/sending. I'll update as I find out what they negotiate. Pretty bad PR if you ask me. Hopefully they respect their applicants and do something

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:21 pm

lookingformoney wrote:i will try to negotiate and see what happens. pretty bad though. obviously 75K is an outrageous scholarship, but they should at least review their scholarship letter before printing/sending. I'll update as I find out what they negotiate. Pretty bad PR if you ask me. Hopefully they respect their applicants and do something


What school is this anyway? It can't be bad PR if you don't publicize it!

User avatar
ColtsFan88
Posts: 1432
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby ColtsFan88 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:33 pm

I definitely say you out the school, since you're already accepted and that is a pretty big mess-up on their part.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beercules, BrainsyK, carlos_danger, cd1945, darthlawyer, goldescholes, HeedMyWarning, NotAGolfer, spursforever, Torres1893, zeglo and 13 guests