Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lookingformoney
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby lookingformoney » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:03 pm

"Congratulations again on your admission to ****! In recognition of your fine academic record and accomplishments, I write to offer your $75000.00 Faculty Fellowship. This grant is renewable each year provided that you remain in good standing. To accept this award, please pay both tuition deposits by the deadlines discussed in your admission letter"



Does this mean 75000/year? Or 75/three years?

thsmthcrmnl
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:08 pm

$75,000 total. No law school has a $225,000 scholarship.

lookingformoney
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby lookingformoney » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:12 pm

yea but thats not what the plain english states. and I know a couple students from this school that got that too. its private and im in the top of the admitted class

lookingformoney
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby lookingformoney » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:21 pm

I mean I dont know why I tried to justify your response. You're probably right. its too good to be true otherwise.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Guchster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:26 pm

lookingformoney wrote:I mean I dont know why I tried to justify your response. You're probably right. its too good to be true otherwise.


Yeah.They would've thrown in something about a living stipend if it was 75k a year. Because that deal is so sweet, you bet your ass they would've emphasized it was 'per year' if it was.

Plain meaning can also be read to say that its 75k total, pending you don't screw it up. If you screw it up, you lose whatever moneys you have left of the 75k (only renewable if your'e in good standing).

lookingformoney
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby lookingformoney » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:27 pm

yea ok thanks i see you're right

lookingformoney
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby lookingformoney » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:36 pm

i was so psyched. talk about being purposefully cryptic :?

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Guchster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:40 pm

lookingformoney wrote:i was so psyched. talk about being purposefully cryptic :?


Yeah, this is all speculation. I would 100% call and double check as soon as possible. If we're wrong, it'd be a pretty bad thing to blow cuz of our less-than-perfect offer interpretation skills.

lookingformoney
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby lookingformoney » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:49 pm

do you think mayyyyyybe we're wrong? 8)

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Guchster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:51 pm

lookingformoney wrote:do you think mayyyyyybe we're wrong? 8)


Image

francesolaw
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby francesolaw » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:17 am

hmmmm more thoughts on this

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:19 am

francesolaw wrote:hmmmm more thoughts on this


no. OP needs to call and report back.

lookingformoney
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby lookingformoney » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:52 am

im pretty sure its over 3 years. 75 is too much.

now on the other hand, if it said "25K", then I wouldnt think it was over the three years. i think the letter is purposefully confusing.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:53 am

lookingformoney wrote:im pretty sure its over 3 years. 75 is too much.

now on the other hand, if it said "25K", then I wouldnt think it was over the three years. i think the letter is purposefully confusing.


make sure you update after you call. people will want to know.

lookingformoney
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby lookingformoney » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:53 am

yes i will. if its true, i'll give everyone a dollar :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:53 am

lookingformoney wrote:i think the letter is purposefully confusing.

Maybe they think nobody is stupid enough to think they've just been awarded a scholarship that's over tuition by $30,000/year.

lookingformoney
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby lookingformoney » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:55 am

i didnt think that, but the writing seemed confusing. I thought I'd check to see if others agreed with me that it was confusing and somewhat misleading.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:57 am

lookingformoney wrote:i didnt think that, but the writing seemed confusing. I thought I'd check to see if others agreed with me that it was confusing and somewhat misleading.

I don't find it confusing or misleading at all.

lookingformoney
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby lookingformoney » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:59 am

good to know. i've asked 5-6 people and it went both ways. also, i know an individual at the school that got around the same too for being top of the admitted class.

kaveman
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby kaveman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:00 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
lookingformoney wrote:i didnt think that, but the writing seemed confusing. I thought I'd check to see if others agreed with me that it was confusing and somewhat misleading.

I don't find it confusing or misleading at all.


Good for you. But if we're working under the assumption that "this grant" refers to the "$75000 Fellowship," grammatically speaking it means that 75k is renewable on a yearly basis. I don't think they're offering 75k a year, but the fact of the matter is that the offer was indeed poorly worded.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:12 am

kaveman wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
lookingformoney wrote:i didnt think that, but the writing seemed confusing. I thought I'd check to see if others agreed with me that it was confusing and somewhat misleading.

I don't find it confusing or misleading at all.


Good for you. But if we're working under the assumption that "this grant" refers to the "$75000 Fellowship," grammatically speaking it means that 75k is renewable on a yearly basis.

No it doesn't.

kaveman
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby kaveman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
kaveman wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
lookingformoney wrote:i didnt think that, but the writing seemed confusing. I thought I'd check to see if others agreed with me that it was confusing and somewhat misleading.

I don't find it confusing or misleading at all.


Good for you. But if we're working under the assumption that "this grant" refers to the "$75000 Fellowship," grammatically speaking it means that 75k is renewable on a yearly basis.

No it doesn't.


"This" is a pronoun; a pronoun must refer to (replace) a specific noun; we can only replace "this" with the "$75000 Fellowship." I look forward to your next substantive argument, something along the lines of, "No."

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:18 pm

kaveman wrote:"This" is a pronoun; a pronoun must refer to (replace) a specific noun; we can only replace "this" with the "$75000 Fellowship." I look forward to your next substantive argument, something along the lines of, "No."


You're wrong.

kaveman
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby kaveman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:39 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
kaveman wrote:"This" is a pronoun; a pronoun must refer to (replace) a specific noun; we can only replace "this" with the "$75000 Fellowship." I look forward to your next substantive argument, something along the lines of, "No."


You're wrong.


Maybe I am. But until one of you explains why, I'll just assume you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

User avatar
ColtsFan88
Posts: 1432
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: Need help understanding a scholarship letter

Postby ColtsFan88 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:44 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
kaveman wrote:"This" is a pronoun; a pronoun must refer to (replace) a specific noun; we can only replace "this" with the "$75000 Fellowship." I look forward to your next substantive argument, something along the lines of, "No."


You're wrong.


He really isn't. The statement almost surely means 75K total, but the wording could be phrased in a more clear manner. It's not hard to imagine that people would misunderstand it to mean 75k per year.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, rapmasterg and 5 guests