Akron Law

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lawer101

Akron Law

Postby Lawer101 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Has anyone applied or been accepted to Akron? What are some feelings about it as far as rank, job outlook, and retention of schollys. I was accepted with $31,000-18 renewable 13 non-res. Any input?? I'm very interested based on the offer. It's the best scholly offer I have yet to receive (although I have only heard from 3 schools about $$ so far). Thanks.

JerichoJohnny

Re: Akron Law

Postby JerichoJohnny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:27 pm

I was accepted with a full-tuition scholarship and OOS-waiver. The stipulations are pretty steep, however. I believe a lot of folks do lose their scholarships at Akron, but I'm not certain. I have been accepted to higher ranked schools closer to home at this point, so Akron is not a strong contender for me.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:06 pm

Try to negotiate the stipulations away if you go to UA.

Be sure you want to work in NE OH before committing. UA has a very strong alumni network in NE OH- almost all the judges and PD's/Prosecutors I've met in my county went there. Don't expect biglaw from Akron.

NE OH isn't for everyone: winters are brutal, rainy/overcast A LOT, and the night life definitely isn't worth mentioning. I've spent all my 21 years here, and, though I'd have a legal job lined up here if I wanted it, I'm seriously considering headed for the greener pastures of the South or West. If you wouldn't mind Ohio and are an aspiring PD/Prosecutor, though, it's a solid option

maf70

Postby maf70 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:35 pm

Subject: Akron Law

goldenflash19 wrote:Try to negotiate the stipulations away if you go to UA.

Be sure you want to work in NE OH before committing. UA has a very strong alumni network in NE OH- almost all the judges and PD's/Prosecutors I've met in my county went there. Don't expect biglaw from Akron.

NE OH isn't for everyone: winters are brutal, rainy/overcast A LOT, and the night life definitely isn't worth mentioning. I've spent all my 21 years here, and, though I'd have a legal job lined up here if I wanted it, I'm seriously considering headed for the greener pastures of the South or West. If you wouldn't mind Ohio and are an aspiring PD/Prosecutor, though, it's a solid option

The stipulations at Akron are ridiculous. Half of your class will have scholarships and you only keep it if you end up in the Top 10%ish. I have serious doubts the administration there would be willing to negotiate the stipulations away. As an out-of-stater, the last thing you want is to be stuck paying sticker in Ohio. Also, unless you have serious connections in your home market, don't expect to find a job anywhere outside of Akron and the small communities in Northeast Ohio (and that's if you can even find a job at all).

Good luck.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:46 pm

I wouldn't think about UA if they wouldn't get rid of the stips (sounds like they won't). The judges and attorneys I know have tried to talk me into going there, but I never even considered it, so I'm probably not the best source.

If you are OOS (even w/ a full-tuition), you have to look at your estimated cost in terms of paying for two years (odds are you will lose your scholly). Even if you claim residency, you would likely be putting in $80k minimum w/ COL for a TTT degree. I wouldn't go to UA if the stips couldn't be negotiated.

Lawer101

Postby Lawer101 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks

tania.z

Postby tania.z » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Is it worth applying to this school if you are not an Ohio resident? How do job prospects look for graduates of Akron Law? I am not sure that I would want to stay in Ohio forever – and don’t know if going to Akron would get me stuck there? I didn’t get in to The Ohio State, and looking at other options in Ohio.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Don't go to this horrible school.

First, they give basically everyone a scholarship.

I had a full ride + like 15K in living expenses. All paid for. Then I saw the stiff and lolfuckinglol'd. They basically scholarship stack because at least half the class gets a massive scholarship, with the school knowing that most of them will lose it.

There is also no such thing as a scholarship negotiation there. The school knows that enough people will go and will basically tell you to screw off.

I was smart enough to turn them down even though it looked like a great deal on paper. All that cash + living expenses paid for? Shiiiiit. And then I saw the stip.

Keep in mind that student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy. The only way to discharge them is by suicide.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:47 pm

TTRansfer wrote:Don't go to this horrible school.

I had a full ride + like 15K in living expenses. All paid for. Then I saw the stiff and lolfuckinglol'd. They basically scholarship stack because at least half the class gets a massive scholarship, with the school knowing that most of them will lose it.

There is also no such thing as a scholarship negotiation there. The school knows that enough people will go and will basically tell you to screw off.

I was smart enough to turn them down even though it looked like a great deal on paper. All that cash + living expenses paid for? Shiiiiit. And then I saw the stip.

Keep in mind that student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy. The only way to discharge them is by suicide.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the stip? Top 10%?

Lawer101

Postby Lawer101 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:14 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Don't go to this horrible school.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the stip? Top 10%?

3.2 with a B-/C+ curve....steeeeeep....I withdrew

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”