Berkeley Waitlist/Faculty Review Support Group 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aspen

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2012

Postby Aspen » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:27 am

JoeMo wrote:I just looked at last year's LSN and it looks like FR was a bloodbath. I guess it's safe to assume that this year will be about the same and that makes me afraid.

Chill. Instead of focusing on the number of people who are going to get rejected focus on the number of slots that are still open! There are 200 slots. Your application needs to be unique/interesting enough to fit in one of those slots.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:37 am

Aspen wrote:
JoeMo wrote:I just looked at last year's LSN and it looks like FR was a bloodbath. I guess it's safe to assume that this year will be about the same and that makes me afraid.

Chill. Instead of focusing on the number of people who are going to get rejected focus on the number of slots that are still open! There are 200 slots. Your application needs to be unique/interesting enough to fit in one of those slots.

This is also very true. Thanks for getting me to chill.

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:58 am

JoeMo wrote:
Aspen wrote:

Haha no problem. I was like out of control freaking out too lately but I figured I might as well look at the situation in the "glass half-full" way. I probably should be freaking out more though. I got into UPenn and UVA and students the admissions office put me in touch with were like, "yeaa.....it's gonna be pretty hard getting jobs out in CA." I'll find out from Berkeley next week, my application is on hold at Stanford and also at Harvard. Hopefully one of those will come around and I can have a solid path to going back to the best state ever! I probably should've just applied to UCLA.....but whatever. I'll figure it out.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:03 pm

I know how you feel. Truth day draws near. But we're only scared cause we want an acceptance so bad!

xwing_redleader

Postby xwing_redleader » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Aspen wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
Aspen wrote:

Haha no problem. I was like out of control freaking out too lately but I figured I might as well look at the situation in the "glass half-full" way. I probably should be freaking out more though. I got into UPenn and UVA and students the admissions office put me in touch with were like, "yeaa.....it's gonna be pretty hard getting jobs out in CA." I'll find out from Berkeley next week, my application is on hold at Stanford and also at Harvard. Hopefully one of those will come around and I can have a solid path to going back to the best state ever! I probably should've just applied to UCLA.....but whatever. I'll figure it out.

Why didn't you apply to UCLA, if I may ask?

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:27 pm

I dunno, cuz I was dumb? Haha. I just applied to 5 places in the Top 10. I heard from some lawyers at some big firms in SF that I would have better leverage into the SF market coming from those schools but I don't think that's necessarily the case. The people who the admissions offices of Penn/UVA put me in touch with were like....."yeah it was WAY harder getting a job in CA than if I just settled for the East Coast." I might just take another year off and do UCLA instead if I get rejected from the last three schools.... I just don't see the point of paying tons of money to go to UPenn and UVA when my #1 goal is to practice in California. Just thinking about becoming a lawyer trapped on the East Coast makes me sick. :(

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:36 pm

Aspen wrote:Haha no problem. I was like out of control freaking out too lately but I figured I might as well look at the situation in the "glass half-full" way. I probably should be freaking out more though. I got into UPenn and UVA and students the admissions office put me in touch with were like, "yeaa.....it's gonna be pretty hard getting jobs out in CA." I'll find out from Berkeley next week, my application is on hold at Stanford and also at Harvard. Hopefully one of those will come around and I can have a solid path to going back to the best state ever! I probably should've just applied to UCLA.....but whatever. I'll figure it out.

Lucky you, I'm waiting on UPenn too. Based on my review dates will probably hear back this week or next. I really am just waiting for Penn and Berkeley to make sure I'm making a fully informed decision. I'll be happy going to Mich but I don't feel comfortable committing 100% until I know if I got Berkeley or Penn as well.

xwing_redleader

Postby xwing_redleader » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Aspen wrote:

I dunno, cuz I was dumb? Haha. I just applied to 5 places in the Top 10. I heard from some lawyers at some big firms in SF that I would have better leverage into the SF market coming from those schools but I don't think that's necessarily the case. The people who the admissions offices of Penn/UVA put me in touch with were like....."yeah it was WAY harder getting a job in CA than if I just settled for the East Coast." I might just take another year off and do UCLA instead if I get rejected from the last three schools.... I just don't see the point of paying tons of money to go to UPenn and UVA when my #1 goal is to practice in California. Just thinking about becoming a lawyer trapped on the East Coast makes me sick. :(

I would have thought that schools like UVA/Penn had a better shot in CA. Weird. I'm in the same boat. I don't mind going out of state for law school, but I NEED to make sure I can come back to CA without too much trouble. Outside of HYS, it seems like Mich does well enough, but I'm not really sure. Well, good luck then! You've already made it this far :)

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:17 pm

Question for you Aspen. The students you talked to - did they have any ties to the CA market? My impression from talking to people is that it's significantly easier to get jobs in a particular market if you have ties (especially if you graduate from a t14). It sounds like you do have ties to CA.

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:25 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Question for you Aspen. The students you talked to - did they have any ties to the CA market? My impression from talking to people is that it's significantly easier to get jobs in a particular market if you have ties (especially if you graduate from a t14). It sounds like you do have ties to CA.

Both went to undergrad in LA and one was actually from LA but it still seemed difficult for them getting positions in CA. One said that because she was from LA, SF firms wouldn't really consider her. I guess what's just frustrating for me is.....what's the point of a Top 10 school and paying a ton of money if you can't even get good leverage in the most populous state in the country?? At that point you're not a national school. I wish they disclosed this stuff instead of all their, "Omggg you can basically get a job anywhere!!!!!!!!!!" propaganda. I'm sick of the "the East Coast = anywhere that matters" BS. :P I mean yeah I'm obviously not expecting for a job to land at my foot just because its a Top 10 school but the huge disadvantages (at least according to the people I contacted) in going to CA vs. staying on the East Coast at those schools are kinda ridiculous.

darkgrayclouds

Postby darkgrayclouds » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:54 pm

I'm in the same boat. I'm 100% certain I want to work in CA (particularly southern CA) due to family considerations, which makes the Berkeley faculty review all the more nerve-wracking.

nyyfan333

Postby nyyfan333 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:52 am

one week left everybody! it is a lot harder to wait than i thought haha i don't know if it's better or worse to have a specific date to wait for

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:54 am

That day in my calendar is becoming larger than life!

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:03 pm

nyyfan333 wrote:one week left everybody! it is a lot harder to wait than i thought haha i don't know if it's better or worse to have a specific date to wait for

It's definitely better. Come on we're used to being paranoid. Remember when you had a definite date for the LSAT score? yeah, that started all this.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:06 pm

JoeMo wrote: It's definitely better. Come on we're used to being paranoid. Remember when you had a definite date for the LSAT score? yeah, that started all this.

Haha, it's never-ending. First the LSAT, then admissions, then 1st year grades, then OCI, then if you become a litigator - waiting for the jury to come back with a decision.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:14 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Haha, it's never-ending. First the LSAT, then admissions, then 1st year grades, then OCI, then if you become a litigator - waiting for the jury to come back with a decision.

It'll never end. Back on topic though, COME ON BERK! Make some decisions this week.

nyyfan333

Postby nyyfan333 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:52 pm

yeah, I'm pretty pleased just to be in FR1, I went UR on 1/5 and somehow made it into the first FR

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:37 pm

Ahhh I'll probably find out in less than a week whether I can finally go back to California. Soooo nervous but also a bit hopeful. :?

gatorapplicant

Postby gatorapplicant » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Aspen wrote:Ahhh I'll probably find out in less than a week whether I can finally go back to California. Soooo nervous but also a bit hopeful. :?

same! berkeley's current lsn graph is daunting but i'm hoping they'll be a little more lenient with lsat scores in our fr group. would loveeee to attend law school in california!

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm at the very bottom of the green section of the LSN graph.

<gulp>

gatorapplicant

Postby gatorapplicant » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Campagnolo wrote:I'm at the very bottom of the green section of the LSN graph.

<gulp>

you're better off than me, i'm surrounded by red, including a URM with basically the same stats

in other news (i posted this in the regular thread) i got a phone call from 510 number last night, no message, and i couldn't get through when i tried to call back. thinking it's just a weird coincidence.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:59 pm

gatorapplicant wrote:

<gulp>

you're better off than me, i'm surrounded by red, including a URM with basically the same stats

in other news (i posted this in the regular thread) i got a phone call from 510 number last night, no message, and i couldn't get through when i tried to call back. thinking it's just a weird coincidence.

I sincerely hope not, for your sake.

gatorapplicant

Postby gatorapplicant » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Campagnolo wrote:
gatorapplicant wrote:

<gulp>

thanks, but no return call and nobody else has on this thread has heard... i'm thinking it was a telemarketer. unfortunate timing. hopefully i didn't get anyone worked up!
Last edited by gatorapplicant on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:24 pm

gatorapplicant wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:
gatorapplicant wrote:

<gulp>

thanks, but no return call and nobody else has on this thread has heard... i'm thinking it was a telemarketer. pretty shitting timing. hopefully i didn't get anyone worked up!
This guy

gatorapplicant

Postby gatorapplicant » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:49 pm

I sincerely hope not, for your sake.[/quote]

thanks, but no return call and nobody else has on this thread has heard... i'm thinking it was a telemarketer. pretty shitting timing. hopefully i didn't get anyone worked up![/quote]This guy[/quote]

sorry! should have confirmed it was legitimate before i posted in here. less than one week, eek!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”