Berkeley Waitlist/Faculty Review Support Group 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Berkeley Waitlist/Faculty Review Support Group 2012

Post by kennethellenparcell » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:22 pm

WAITLIST INFORMATION

Since FR2 looks like it is winding down, IT IS THE TIME OF THE WAITLIST. Anxiety galore! To help us get through this time, I'm posting all information I found on Berkeley waitlists after I received mine. Bottom line: don't give up hope if you really love Berkeley!

It appears that in past years, Berkeley has had a CA resident and non-CA resident waitlist that are separately ranked. They have drawn from the CA resident waitlist first. It may be because these applicants are more likely to attend. I'm not entirely sure. In any case, worth it to be aware.

From Berk's waitlist e-mail, each candidate will be given a ranking on the waitlist in May. You can call or e-mail the admissions office to get your ranking then. Candidates are split into quartiles. It is important to note that Berkeley does not require a seat deposit. Berkeley also says that sending in additional materials will not affect your ranking on the waitlist as it is done at the time you go through FR.

What are my chances at getting off the waitlist?
Dean Tom TLS Interview wrote: TLS: What is the size of Boalt’s waitlist?

Dean Tom: “Usually the waitlist is anywhere from 200-300 applicants who are ranked by the admissions committee.”

TLS: Roughly how deep into the waitlist does Boalt go?

Dean Tom: “This year [not sure of year of this interview], not very deep. I think the deepest we’ve ever gone was a number of years back, we took about 40 people.”

TLS: Wow, not many.

Dean Tom: “No. This year it was 12. But, it varies from year to year, and this year, because I knew how good the people were on the waiting list, I intentionally admitted fewer people up front, thinking that I could go deeper into the waiting list. But, I wasn’t able to, because the yield rate was very high. A large percentage of accepted applicants decided to attend. ”

TLS: Good for Boalt.

Dean Tom: “Yeah, well, so much for my big idea.”

Should I send in LOCI/additional materials given the ranking system?
Personally, I think so. Expressing continued interest is never a bad thing as long as you are not obnoxious about it. With that said, however.
Dean Tom TLS Interview wrote: TLS: If one ends up on the waitlist, is there anything that you can do to increase the likelihood of admission?

Dean Tom: “No. There’s nothing you can do to improve your chances. And we tell people that when we inform them that they are on the waiting list. The waiting list is ranked by the faculty at the time the decision is made to waitlist them, because we believe the information is fresh in their mind and they’re best able to assign a waitlist ranking at that time.”

TLS: So saying that you’re still interested doesn’t matter?

Dean Tom: “Well, that helps us, but it’s not going to improve your chances or position.”
2011 Berkeley Waitlist Thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=147933
2010 Berkeley Waitlist Thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=108903
------------------------------------------------------------------
FACULTY REVIEW STUFF FOR POSTERITY
I'm a splitter so I'm surprised that I'm even getting a faculty review!

Would be honored to get an acceptance from Berkeley. But for those who've received faculty reviews today (and in the future), I'm starting this thread to cope with the wait between now and February 17.

This. I want to hug it like a koala.

Additional Information on Faculty Review

What is Faculty Review and what are my chances? - From Dean Tom's TLS interview (I think these numbers may be a few years old but not sure if they change much from year to year):

Dean Tom also offers some insight into the admissions process itself. “All the files are read, previewed initially by me or by one of my staff. I have four other people who help me with the application process initially. However, I read the bulk of them. I read about two-thirds of the applicant pool, while the other four read the other one-third. It’s structured this way because I know what I’m looking for. And, if my staff finds an applicant whom they want to admit, they have to bring the file to me for a final review. Concurrent to this review process we also identify about 1400 to 1600 other applications that are very competitive, and these we send to our faculty admissions committee, comprised of six faculty and twelve students. Students serve in an advising capacity on the committee. I admit roughly 550 people through what I call the administrative review process, and the admissions committee (the faculty committee) admits about another 200 or so. So, we end up admitting about 700 to 750 people. The admissions committee also structures a waiting list, and then everyone else is denied, either administratively or by the Committee.

Other Stuff on Faculty Review
The View Inside Boalt
2010 Faculty Review Support Group
2011 Faculty Review Support Group
Last edited by kennethellenparcell on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

andrel2006

New

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2012

Post by andrel2006 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:57 pm

For anyone who knows the answer: do they deliver all of the responses simultaneously, or is 2/17 the day they should be done? As in, do they roll out decisions as they move along the process, or everyone knows on the 17th (or whenever) and only the 17th?

tjddk

Bronze

Post by tjddk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:59 pm

andrel2006 wrote:For anyone who knows the answer: do they deliver all of the responses simultaneously, or is 2/17 the day they should be done? As in, do they roll out decisions as they move along the process, or everyone knows on the 17th (or whenever) and only the 17th?
Last year, some decisions came out a few days before the stated date. Which is why the email says "on or around February 17th." I don't expect anything MUCH earlier than that, but a few days is reasonable to expect.

catwomangirl

Bronze

Post by catwomangirl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:19 pm

I'm with you guys!

So does anyone know how FR works?

Is it softs-oriented?

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Good luck to y'all. Hopefully, y'all get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Oh good: another thread to check.

thesmark

New

Post by thesmark » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:35 pm

FR as well as a CA resident w/ 170/3.75 so I hope I have a good chance considering Berkeley is my #1 (realistic) choice.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Checking in. 3.4/167, non-URM. Softs uniquely unique, well beyond just being a vet. I am very happy to have a date to attach to an expectation for a decision.

chicagohopeful

New

Post by chicagohopeful » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:01 pm

A few little questions:
Can I send in some additional materials at this point (i.e. a writing sample or LOCI)?
Should I somehow communicate that my brother is a grad student at Berkeley?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gatorapplicant

Bronze

Post by gatorapplicant » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Checking in. Berkeley is a reach for me so I'm actually honored to be in this group. I think I may have jumped the gun when I sent a LOCI in early January, hopefully that doesn't hurt me.

tjddk

Bronze

Post by tjddk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 pm

chicagohopeful wrote:A few little questions:
Can I send in some additional materials at this point (i.e. a writing sample or LOCI)?
I'm not sure how your brother's being a grad student (assuming non-law) at Berkeley adds much to your application.

Follow up question: to whom should I send any additional materials (kind of doubt I'd send anything, but just in case)? I sent an LSAT addendum in early Dec and got a generic catch-all "we're swamped - if you're sending additional materials, please assume we've got it" response.

adrish22

New

Post by adrish22 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:57 pm

I just received the email today too...I was pleasantly surprised. When did you guys apply?

catwomangirl

Bronze

Post by catwomangirl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:02 pm

Early November

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gatorapplicant

Bronze

Post by gatorapplicant » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:05 pm

adrish22 wrote:I just received the email today too...I was pleasantly surprised. When did you guys apply?
mid-September, it's been a long wait so far

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Oh good: another thread to check.
+1

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:23 pm

I applied 12/15.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:24 pm

I applied early October, didn't go complete until whenever the Oct LSAT scores came out and I forgot my UR date from saying it so much but I think it was 10/27 or something.

Either way, I kind of expected this because I'm a reverse splitter. I hope they can see how much I like them.

Especially, since y'all are kind of zen in comparisons to other bunches.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 pm

By the way - to the LOCI question, I was reading the threads from previous years and it seems that submitting LOCIs at this point may not be a good idea. Probably should save it for if you are waitlisted. I think additional materials might be ok if they really add something to your application - like an updated grade report that reflects a higher GPA. Someone who is more knowledgeable though - please correct me if I'm wrong!

I'll probably be zen until 12/15. Then it will be freakout city. :D

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Checking in. I'm a pretty heavy splitter and below Berkeley's GPA floor, so I'm not too optimistic, but I think my weird background should help. Good luck to all of you!

Aspen

Bronze

Post by Aspen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:41 pm

gatorapplicant wrote:
adrish22 wrote:I just received the email today too...I was pleasantly surprised. When did you guys apply?
mid-September, it's been a long wait so far
Yea same for me. I can't believe it has been 4 months so far. Only 3 more weeks to go though till we find out though.

THATSHOWYOUGETANTS

New

Post by THATSHOWYOUGETANTS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:43 pm

i sent them an email asking about sending another lor or loci, but haven't heard back.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fh739

New

Post by fh739 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:03 pm

When does the second round of FC review start? (Just wondering)

Thanks!

brogoc

New

Post by brogoc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:52 pm

THATSHOWYOUGETANTS

New

Post by THATSHOWYOUGETANTS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:56 pm

THATSHOWYOUGETANTS wrote:
i sent them an email asking about sending another lor or loci, but haven't heard back.
they said "no, it's not necessary"........ sooooo i'mma call tomorrow, cause that's not a yes or no

viacavour

New

Post by viacavour » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:25 am

checking in, got faculty review today.

177/3.8 I was actually JUST at Berkeley and fell completely in love with it.

I can't tell if this is a good or a bad sign, submitted 12/12

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”