how screwed am I? panicking, please advise

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
madeforthis

how screwed am I? panicking, please advise

Postby madeforthis » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:28 pm

I was having a pretty good cycle, I got into the school I wanted most very recently and couldn't recall ever being quite as happy. unfortunately (to say the least) I then picked the absolute worst time in my life to get a DUI....i know this must be disclosed now, my question is how badly did I just f myself here. Will schools rescind their offers? any insight experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.....thank u

Opie

Re: how screwed am I? panicking, please advise

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:30 pm

madeforthis wrote:I was having a pretty good cycle, I got into the school I wanted most very recently and couldn't recall ever being quite as happy. unfortunately (to say the least) I then picked the absolute worst time in my life to get a DUI....i know this must be disclosed now, my question is how badly did I just f myself here. Will schools rescind their offers? any insight experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.....thank u

I'm not really sure how screwed you are, but just disclose it and move on. There's absolutely nothing that can be done about it. You have to take responsibility though. If you have a drinking problem, get help. If you were just stupid and made a mistake, admit it.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:31 pm

lol it doesn't matter. no school is going to change its decision over that.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:34 pm

Opie wrote:
I'm not really sure how screwed you are, but just disclose it and move on. There's absolutely nothing that can be done about it. You have to take responsibility though. If you have a drinking problem, get help. If you were just stupid and made a mistake, admit it.

I agree with Opie. It's going to depend on the school how they react and there's no way to know what that reaction will be until you inform them of the situation. Best of luck!

mrmojojak

Postby mrmojojak » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Just be honest. I don't think anyone will care unless you are a repeat offender. Invest in a breathalyzer (seriously they're only 60 bucks).

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:46 pm

mrmojojak wrote:Just be honest. I don't think anyone will care unless you are a repeat offender. Invest in a breathalyzer (seriously they're only 60 bucks).

Read I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell before doing this. Trust me.

I wouldn't say NO school will care, but most won't. Lawyers don't exactly have a reputation for sobriety.

If your list of applications is BYU, Liberty, Trinity, and Regent you might have more to worry about.

madeforthis

Postby madeforthis » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:07 pm

haha well its not byu or liberty but it is a school very proud of its 'jesuit tradition'.....thank you all for taking the time to reply, I'm not a repeat offender and not at all a regular drinker, was just so giddy about the admission and in the midst of barbecuing and football watching made a terrible decision. I think I'm the only person in the country that feels worse than billy cundiff right now. Hopefully this serves as a cautionary tale for someone.

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:15 pm

madeforthis wrote:billy cundiff

:evil:

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:16 pm

madeforthis wrote:haha well its not byu or liberty but it is a school very proud of its 'jesuit tradition'.....thank you all for taking the time to reply, I'm not a repeat offender and not at all a regular drinker, was just so giddy about the admission and in the midst of barbecuing and football watching made a terrible decision. I think I'm the only person in the country that feels worse than billy cundiff right now. Hopefully this serves as a cautionary tale for someone.

You'll be okay as long as you take responsibility and express regret. I think the Catholic schools are more forgiving than the other Christian schools.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:17 pm

madeforthis wrote:I think I'm the only person in the country that feels worse than billy cundiff right now.

Two words: Kyle Williams.

bmore

Postby bmore » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:31 pm

madeforthis wrote:haha well its not byu or liberty but it is a school very proud of its 'jesuit tradition'.....thank you all for taking the time to reply, I'm not a repeat offender and not at all a regular drinker, was just so giddy about the admission and in the midst of barbecuing and football watching made a terrible decision. I think I'm the only person in the country that feels worse than billy cundiff right now. Hopefully this serves as a cautionary tale for someone.

Lee Evans Kyle Williams

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:42 pm

If indeed this is your dream school and all, I would try to have the conversation in person with the dean of admissions or someone in a similar position. I think you're more likely to get the answer you want when you are face to face, expressing your sincere apologies/regrets, etc. Think of the concerns you might have if you were them, and try to address those concerns. Tell them why this is uncharacteristic of you, what you have learned, and just how important the opportunity to attend their school is to you.

I really don't know how many schools treat this as a deal breaker and how many don't... I certainly don't think it has to be one. I just think they might be wondering about your maturity/responsibility, and I think getting out in front of it with an in-person meeting and taking ownership of it will help to address those concerns.

martorem

Postby martorem » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Logged onto my LSN after reading this post and this applicant was on the home page:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MondayX/jd

See additional information, maybe try contacting her about the situation? Like others have said, I don't think this is necessarily a deal-breaker, but maybe you could try and figure out the "do's and don't" of addressing this issue with admissions.

Good luck!

LawperaMan

Postby LawperaMan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:01 pm

madeforthis wrote:I think I'm the only person in the country that feels worse than billy cundiff right now.

Dude is a hero...in New England.

madeforthis

Postby madeforthis » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:12 pm

martorem wrote:Logged onto my LSN after reading this post and this applicant was on the home page:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MondayX/jd

See additional information, maybe try contacting her about the situation? Like others have said, I don't think this is necessarily a deal-breaker, but maybe you could try and figure out the "do's and don't" of addressing this issue with admissions.

Good luck!

oh dear god...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”