Cleveland-Marshall 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tonymontana45

Re: Cleveland-Marshall 2015

Postby tonymontana45 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:
tonymontana45 wrote:
Magnifique1908 wrote:In w// 16k. Apparently that is their highest award and they don't negotiate smh. Those stips are ridiculous.
What is the stips? Is it worse then akron?

I'm not familiar with Akron's stipulations because I did not apply. In order to maintain the scholarship, you must maintain a 3.2 GPA. I believe CSU's curve is on the low side too and with the amount of scholarships they seem to give out, its pretty apparent that most will lose them.

That's the same as Akron. I didn't receive any scholarship information inside, does it come with the letter of acceptance? Has anyone had any experience with trying to get one. I've gotten two already from higher ranked schools but really want to go to Cleveland State.

tonymontana45

Postby tonymontana45 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:49 pm

Don't mean to bump, I'm just trying to decide if I should call them tomorrow and talk scholarships!

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:06 am

tonymontana45 wrote:Don't mean to bump, I'm just trying to decide if I should call them tomorrow and talk scholarships!

Yeah, you might want to. The scholarship info comes with the acceptance, at least it did for me a month ago or so.

tonymontana45

Postby tonymontana45 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:33 pm

puremorning wrote:
tonymontana45 wrote:Don't mean to bump, I'm just trying to decide if I should call them tomorrow and talk scholarships!

Yeah, you might want to. The scholarship info comes with the acceptance, at least it did for me a month ago or so.
The guy I talked to wasn't very helpful but he told me to send anything there way. So I emailed admissions about other offers. I'll keep everyone updated with how it goes!

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm

From what I understand, and this is just what I've heard from students at both schools, Akron's stipulations are much tougher. A 3.2 at C-M equates to roughly top %30, while 3.2 at Akron is closer to top %15. My stip at C-M says 3.1, and they say to "keep in mind these criteria and the fact that the majority of our scholarship students renew their awards when evaluating offers from other law schools." Now this is from the school, and offers no real statistics, but put together with the other things I've heard and the research I've done, I feel like keeping a scholarship is more likely at C-M then somewhere like Akron.

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:42 pm

So what's up guys? Now that we are getting close to seat deposit time, anyone considering C-M? I've pretty much decided I'm going to stay in Cleveland, unless OSU shocks me in the next couple weeks. Weighing a small scholarship at Case and a large one at C-M, obviously C-M's cost of attendance will be much, much lower. I don't know, but I'm leaning pretty hard towards C-M since my plan is to stay in Cleveland upon graduation. I feel like the minimal debt I would take on would leave me a lot more breathing room and a lot less pressure to find a super high paying job in order to be able to pay on the debt. Stressful times right now, big decisions to make. Thinking I should just go to C-M and gun like crazy, haha. Anyone going to the scholarship reception or admitted students day next week?

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Just got an email from CSU that they're giving me an extra $2k for my first year, which would bring my tuition down to about $2k for my first year. Also, apparently every entering student gets a new iPad. Thanks for trying to lure me to your school, but I visited it and hated it, so no thanks :-)

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:43 pm

puremorning wrote:Just got an email from CSU that they're giving me an extra $2k for my first year, which would bring my tuition down to about $2k for my first year. Also, apparently every entering student gets a new iPad. Thanks for trying to lure me to your school, but I visited it and hated it, so no thanks :-)

Oh shit, a new iPad?! I'm there! Haha. Can I ask you what you hated about it? Just curious.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:18 pm

OhioRider22 wrote:
puremorning wrote:Just got an email from CSU that they're giving me an extra $2k for my first year, which would bring my tuition down to about $2k for my first year. Also, apparently every entering student gets a new iPad. Thanks for trying to lure me to your school, but I visited it and hated it, so no thanks :-)

Oh shit, a new iPad?! I'm there! Haha. Can I ask you what you hated about it? Just curious.

I'd heard great things about the school from people in Cleveland, but then when I went to visit I was less than impressed by the students they had chosen to represent the school. They had this girl who told us that she quit mock trial because she got OSU season football tickets, and then when I asked her about job prospects (because she was interested in the same field as I am), she skirted around the issue and then said that she got this job that she's not really excited about but that she does have a job. They also bashed Case a few times during the tour, which was totally uncalled for. That's a huge turnoff for me, when someone does that to try to promote something else. Also, the people who've talked to me outside of the school who advocate for it have their stats totally skewed, I was recently told that CSU was ranked higher than Case, and I was like, yeah...not really...yes, the price is great, but I'd rather be amongst academic peers and a school where I'd have a standing chance at working outside of the state if I wanted.

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:41 am

puremorning wrote:I'd heard great things about the school from people in Cleveland, but then when I went to visit I was less than impressed by the students they had chosen to represent the school. They had this girl who told us that she quit mock trial because she got OSU season football tickets, and then when I asked her about job prospects (because she was interested in the same field as I am), she skirted around the issue and then said that she got this job that she's not really excited about but that she does have a job. They also bashed Case a few times during the tour, which was totally uncalled for. That's a huge turnoff for me, when someone does that to try to promote something else. Also, the people who've talked to me outside of the school who advocate for it have their stats totally skewed, I was recently told that CSU was ranked higher than Case, and I was like, yeah...not really...yes, the price is great, but I'd rather be amongst academic peers and a school where I'd have a standing chance at working outside of the state if I wanted.

I see, thanks for the response. I can't believe they had that chick show you around! I wouldn't let that one person form your whole idea of the school though. And yeah, I agree, CM is respected in Cleveland, but it is not Case. Case is definitely a step above, but the question for me is, is that step worth the substantially higher cost if I plan on staying in Cleveland? I also worry about the caliber of students at CM, but maybe that will just make competing with them that much easier.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:04 pm

OhioRider22 wrote:
puremorning wrote:I'd heard great things about the school from people in Cleveland, but then when I went to visit I was less than impressed by the students they had chosen to represent the school. They had this girl who told us that she quit mock trial because she got OSU season football tickets, and then when I asked her about job prospects (because she was interested in the same field as I am), she skirted around the issue and then said that she got this job that she's not really excited about but that she does have a job. They also bashed Case a few times during the tour, which was totally uncalled for. That's a huge turnoff for me, when someone does that to try to promote something else. Also, the people who've talked to me outside of the school who advocate for it have their stats totally skewed, I was recently told that CSU was ranked higher than Case, and I was like, yeah...not really...yes, the price is great, but I'd rather be amongst academic peers and a school where I'd have a standing chance at working outside of the state if I wanted.

I see, thanks for the response. I can't believe they had that chick show you around! I wouldn't let that one person form your whole idea of the school though. And yeah, I agree, CM is respected in Cleveland, but it is not Case. Case is definitely a step above, but the question for me is, is that step worth the substantially higher cost if I plan on staying in Cleveland? I also worry about the caliber of students at CM, but maybe that will just make competing with them that much easier.

I'm planning on going into public interest work, hopefully with the government, and in doing that I'll be able to apply for the LRAP and qualify for federal loan forgiveness. I'm not super worried since I will have my Master's in social work, and those jobs qualify for the federal loan forgiveness too. I also know some people who go there and really don't like it, and I've heard far more positive things about Case.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 am

Ugh now I can't decide whether I want to go to the admitted students weekend this weekend. I feel like I haven't given CSU a fair look, and it WOULD be nice to only pay $2k my first year.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:18 am

Alright, I'm going to the ASW haha. I'm so unable to commit to anything!

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:14 pm

puremorning wrote:Alright, I'm going to the ASW haha. I'm so unable to commit to anything!

Yeah, I think that's a good idea, give 'em another shot! Looks like we're gonna be on the same schedule this weekend, Case on Friday and C-M on Saturday. Are you going to the scholarship cocktail reception for C-M on Friday night?

osuraccoon

Postby osuraccoon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:41 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster, haha :) Just wanted to drop in and say that I'm attending the ASW too...driving up from Columbus to attend. I can't go to the cocktail reception though, as I probably won't get into town until about 8 PM or so on Friday (staying the night in a hotel there).

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:32 pm

OhioRider22 wrote:
puremorning wrote:Alright, I'm going to the ASW haha. I'm so unable to commit to anything!

Yeah, I think that's a good idea, give 'em another shot! Looks like we're gonna be on the same schedule this weekend, Case on Friday and C-M on Saturday. Are you going to the scholarship cocktail reception for C-M on Friday night?

Nope. I wasn't sure whether a friend was coming into town this weekend, and I've been super sick lately and am on antibiotics, so I'd hate to get sloppy in front of everyone. I'm looking forward to it all and at this point most of the students attending are either attending or seriously considering the schools, so I'll get to see what my prospective classmates will be like, which does play a lot into my law school decision.

Bergman

Postby Bergman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:09 pm

Just like someone else said lurker for a long time, posting for the first time. I'll be at ASW as well, driving from north of Syracuse to get there on Friday night. Look forward to getting to see Cleveland for the first time as well as meeting some hopefully cool folks. I'm down to Cleveland, Albany, and SU and am on the waiting list at the 2 NY schools, so I guess it's pay the first deposit and see what happens.

tonymontana45

Postby tonymontana45 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:51 pm

I've been accepted and I toured the campus and liked it. Being from Cleveland it makes sense to go here for me. However, I don't think I'll be attending Saturday because I Can't make it help

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm glad there will be some TLS'ers there Saturday! I'm pretty excited for it actually, I would be more than happy to attend C-M. I'm a Cleveland native and I know a ton of alumni who went there and are very successful throughout Northeast Ohio. I've called nearly every one of them in the last few weeks to get their opinions, and every one of them had great things to say about C-M.

Should we wear like some kind of secret accessory to identify us as TLS'ers? Haha

tonymontana45

Postby tonymontana45 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:55 am

Did anyone attend saturday?

Bergman

Postby Bergman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:24 pm

tonymontana45 wrote:Did anyone attend saturday?

I did, it was a good time, however I decided not to attend. Just too far for this Central New Yorker. however, the students were all very honest and forthcoming, the professors seemed great. personally some of the students that were there for ASD weren't my cup of tea, some seemed very full of themselves, but I guess that's no different from any other school really. :D

I hope you enjoy it, it's a great campus for someone who wants to work in Cleveland and is from there, so good luck to you Tony.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:11 pm

Who the eff hacked this board? Did anyone else notice that? I've definitely never used the phrase "mad skrilla."

I get it...April Fools. Replacing money with mad skilla is kind of funny, the rest I'm just like, wtf.

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:17 pm

puremorning wrote:Who the eff hacked this board? Did anyone else notice that? I've definitely never used the phrase "mad skrilla."

I get it...April Fools. Replacing money with mad skilla is kind of funny, the rest I'm just like, wtf.

Hahaha, yeah they hacked the shit out of my previous posts. Pretty funny actually. "Who's house? KEN'S HOUSE!" Haha

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”