When to Update Grades/ LOCI Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
admisionquestion

Bronze

When to Update Grades/ LOCI

Post by admisionquestion » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:38 pm

So, whats the consensus on this?

Obviously if grades increase dramatically one should update.

Should one update if they stay the same? I would say yes, because it proves they did not fall and they will assume an update would occur if they increased... so it seems reasonable to update in the event of no change.

In the event of a falling last semester should one update? My gut says no--but is there contrary wisdom on this--like its a formality that ought to not be avoided and its better to submit with an explanation then not submit...

I'd love to hear people debate this issue.

jhw219

New

Re: When to Update Grades/ LOCI

Post by jhw219 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:13 pm

admisionquestion wrote:So, whats the consensus on this?

Obviously if grades increase dramatically one should update.

Should one update if they stay the same? I would say yes, because it proves they did not fall and they will assume an update would occur if they increased... so it seems reasonable to update in the event of no change.

In the event of a falling last semester should one update? My gut says no--but is there contrary wisdom on this--like its a formality that ought to not be avoided and its better to submit with an explanation then not submit...

I'd love to hear people debate this issue.
When law school deans visited my school, they seemed to give the indication that you should always update your grades no matter what. If you don't, then they kind of assume the worst (but i guess if you really did fail it's probably not to give them proof of the worst anyways). Although it may seem against intuition, I would say that unless your grades went down by a lot, then you should update your transcripts.

landla

Bronze

Re: When to Update Grades/ LOCI

Post by landla » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:42 pm

You should also keep in mind that updating your file at a lot of schools increases the time it takes for them to finish and send out your decision. It appears (based not on hard evidence but rather on anecdotal evidence and a few discussions from admissions personnel) that in some cases it starts your file back at complete, so it isn't worth it unless something is significantly improved.

If your grades go down, I think a lot of people say not to update. As is mentioned here, it does seem that admissions committees are expecting this and would expect the worst. I would most likely still update my file, but, again, think about how much it will delay your file review. If your file is already under review at a few schools and it is only mid-December, perhaps waiting (unless there is a very significant improvement) to update until January makes sense. In my opinion, you definitely should update by mid-January. (After all, if your GPA drops by .01, it isn't very significant; the reviewers might assume no update means that you significantly dropped in GPA.)

Also, not sure if I missed it, but what do LOCI have to do with this topic?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”