St. John's Law 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swagu

St. John's Law 2015

Postby swagu » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Anyone out there hear anything back from St. John's? My status has been "Your Application is Complete" since 11/21/11.

frostmo

Re: St. John's Law 2015

Postby frostmo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:53 pm

I went complete on 11/29 and was in with an offer on 12/13

LawperaMan

Postby LawperaMan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:53 am

Complete 11/17; admit email with scholarship info 12/13. Hard copy in the mail a few days later

gpatino

Postby gpatino » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:57 am

has anyone been accepted in the part time evening program?

FrozenCavemanLawyer

Postby FrozenCavemanLawyer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:59 am

gpatino wrote:has anyone been accepted in the part time evening program?

what were your numbers if you don't mind me asking?

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:29 am

Got accepted via status checker today. Waiting on the e-mail with scholly info.

swagu

Postby swagu » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Jimbola wrote:Got accepted via status checker today. Waiting on the e-mail with scholly info.

Congrats! Do you know what date you went complete on? I've been complete since 11/21/11, so I'm just trying to gauge how long other people are taking

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:51 pm

swagu wrote:
Jimbola wrote:Got accepted via status checker today. Waiting on the e-mail with scholly info.

Congrats! Do you know what date you went complete on? I've been complete since 11/21/11, so I'm just trying to gauge how long other people are taking

Well they didn't start reviewing my app till my December scores came in at the beginning of the month, so it only took a little over two weeks. I was thoroughly impressed with the speed at which I was accepted.

Also btw got half scholly. This whole top 40% instead of 50% to renew is kinda lame though.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Man, they seem to really like taking their sweet time huh? I've been in review since 1/19/2012 and went complete on 11/23/11... I feel like I should know today or tomorrow maybe?

portaluser

Postby portaluser » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:39 pm

I applied in November, and got accepted via email (11/30) followed by mailed packet a bit later. Scholarship information came with the packet, and was pretty generous, 30k/year with GPA stipulation. Still waiting to hear back from other schools before making a decision, seat deposit is pretty hefty to make without being positive it's where you want to go. ($750)

swagu

Postby swagu » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. I still havent gone under review, and I've been complete since 11/21

jozzy22

Postby jozzy22 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:55 pm

My status checker changed to nothing, quite bizarre.

doceydoe

Postby doceydoe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:12 am

This thread is dead...I've been under review for some time myself...

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:25 pm

doceydoe wrote:This thread is dead...I've been under review for some time myself...

Yeah I'm honestly surprised there aren't more people itt. Then again, if this is a reflection on the lack of applicants to St. John's, one can only hope it means mad scholly $$$ for the rest of us!!!

Hopefully we hear something today.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:02 pm

Thinking about applying to this school (I know it's late). Taking the Feb LSAT so if my score is within St John's range, I may apply. However, I still regard CUNY law higher than St. Johns. Can anyone tell me what they like about St. John's?

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:10 am

fatpeopleavenger wrote:Thinking about applying to this school (I know it's late). Taking the Feb LSAT so if my score is within St John's range, I may apply. However, I still regard CUNY law higher than St. Johns. Can anyone tell me what they like about St. John's?

Some people (probably conservatives) don't take cuny seriously. St. John's is ranked higher (for what thats worth). St. John's has a pretty strong alumni network. But then again CUNY is only, what?, $11k a year.

Overall I think St. John's has the better reputation. And it is true, you get what you pay for (coming from a SUNY undergrad).

apslaw1031

Postby apslaw1031 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:21 am

I've been complete since 12/16...
Haven't heard a peep since then.

It definitely feels like it's taking them much longer this year than in previous years :/

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:19 am

Jimbola wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:Thinking about applying to this school (I know it's late). Taking the Feb LSAT so if my score is within St John's range, I may apply. However, I still regard CUNY law higher than St. Johns. Can anyone tell me what they like about St. John's?

Some people (probably conservatives) don't take cuny seriously. St. John's is ranked higher (for what thats worth). St. John's has a pretty strong alumni network. But then again CUNY is only, what?, $11k a year.

Overall I think St. John's has the better reputation. And it is true, you get what you pay for (coming from a SUNY undergrad).

I understand CUNY is a very liberal school but politics aside, CUNY has better clinics and better at guiding a student to a more specific career. I don't care if a person is a conservative or liberal, but having better clinics and being better at preparing a student for legal career should be a good starting point. I know STJ is ranked higher but is US news rankings really the law school bible? If a person just wants private sector, I understand STJ being better but there really isn't much difference between a T2 school and a T3 school. Some people are misguided by these rankings. It should be used as basis for law school research, nothing more.

I'm a pretty progressive guy but it's not going to stop me from applying to STJ. Don't know where STJ stands in the political spectrum but considering their religious affiliation, I would guess center-right at the worst. Doesn't bother me tbh.

paradox

Postby paradox » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:45 am

fatpeopleavenger wrote:
CUNY has better clinics (than St.John's) and better at guiding a student to a more specific career. .

Please provide a cite to substantiate your above statement which you offer as fact.

I respectfully disagree with your above statement that CUNY has better clinics than St.John's or that it provides better guidance for a career in public service. Take a moment to review the substantial governmental leaders that are St. John's grads ( see: former CIA Director Ron Brown, Governors Cosmo, Carey, police Commish Ray Kelly, and many, many more including hundreds of elected state & local officials, sitting Judges, commissioners at all levels of government, and others).

Most attend law school to become a practicing attorney. A CUNY grad will be at a substantial disadvantage if they do not pass the Bar exam. Hopefully CuNY addresses it's issues with regard to bar pass rate.

Thanks.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:54 am

paradox wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:
CUNY has better clinics (than St.John's) and better at guiding a student to a more specific career. .

Please provide a cite to substantiate your above statement which you offer as fact.

I respectfully disagree with your above statement that CUNY has better clinics than St.John's or that it provides better guidance for a career in public service. Take a moment to review the substantial governmental leaders that are St. John's grads ( see: former CIA Director Ron Brown, Governors Cosmo, Carey, police Commish Ray Kelly, and many, many more including hundreds of elected state & local officials, sitting Judges, commissioners at all levels of government, and others).

Most attend law school to become a practicing attorney. A CUNY grad will be at a substantial disadvantage if they do not pass the Bar exam. Hopefully CuNY addresses it's issues with regard to bar pass rate.

Thanks.

Wait, so the amount of known officials is the basis for judging a school? Not to mention I'm sure STJ law school has been opened far longer than CUNY has.

I'm not shitting on STJ. It's a respectable school. Now stop trolling.

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:16 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:
paradox wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:

Thanks.

Wait, so the amount of known officials is the basis for judging a school? Not to mention I'm sure STJ law school has been opened far longer than CUNY has.

I'm not shitting on STJ. It's a respectable school. Now stop trolling.

Who's trolling who? You should be in the choosing a law school forum anyway.

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:22 pm

Anyway, has anyone accepted started haggling for a better scholarship?

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:28 am

Jimbola wrote:Anyway, has anyone accepted started haggling for a better scholarship?

I think the better question is: "Has anyone even been accepted?" St. John's is another school that is like a ghost town when it comes to admissions... must be a trend amongst the Catholic-affiliated universities since Villanova is also taking its sweet time deliberating.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:39 am

Jimbola wrote:

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to do public interest, do CUNY. If you want to do private, do St. Johns. If you have no idea, do St. Johns.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:53 am

paradox wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:

Thanks.

Unless you can point to a change in CUNY's teaching methods between 2 years ago and now, its a bit difficult to pin the falling bar pass rate on their teaching methods.

Ron Brown went to law school in 1970. 13 years before CUNY opened. I'm assuming by "Governor Cosmo" you are referring to Governor Andrew Cuomo. He went to law school in 1956, 27 years before CUNY opened. Carey received his degree in 1951, 32 years before CUNY opened. Ray Kelly graduated St. Johns in 1971, 12 years before CUNY opened.

Can you explain how CUNY is deficient because if failed to attract and promote these notable individuals 10+ years before the law school was admitting students?

You are also using inappropriate criteria. CUNY is unlikely to have as many elected officials as St. Johns. Why? Because they aren't trying to attract those types of people. They want people who have a public service mission to work to help the indigent, they aren't interested in politicians.

You disagree that CUNY has better clinics than St Johns?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... g-rankings

CUNY is ranked 3rd. In the nation. Above both Yale and Stanford. St Johns is unranked.

As for public interest:

http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/b ... aw-schools

A ranking for public interest schools. CUNY is 10th. St Johns is, again, unranked.

As I've said in another thread, I'm not sure what your problem with CUNY is, but it seems to be personal. Care to explain why you are trashing them throughout the board?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”