Deferring and Financial Aid

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawschoolquestions57

Deferring and Financial Aid

Postby lawschoolquestions57 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:03 pm

Last edited by lawschoolquestions57 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sayornis

Re: Deferring and Financial Aid

Postby sayornis » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Bump the question. Same situation here.

On a related note, I'm guessing awards/scholarships don't carry over if you defer? Can someone verify?

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:54 pm

sayornis wrote:Bump the question. Same situation here.

On a related note, I'm guessing awards/scholarships don't carry over if you defer? Can someone verify?

I've never deferred, but I know that the award letter has to go by the most current info, so I would imagine your financial aid cycle would begin the year you actually matriculate. I wouldn't wait until a few months before classes though. I'm sure the financial aid office would appreciate it if you did everything right after doing your taxes the year you plan to start.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Have you already secured your deferral and have no intention of possibly attending this year? Then you'll need to fill out the FinAid stuff next year.

I deferred at Northwestern last year, but had completed all the FinAid stuff already. I'll be doing it all over again this year, with this year's financial numbers.

You can certainly ASK if a scholarship could be carried over, but it's my understanding that they rarely do. Maybe if you really had some spectacular circumstances requiring the deferral (i.e. just diagnosed with cancer, need a year to do chemo).

If in any doubt, just email the admissions/finaid office at the school and ask. That's what they're there for.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”