Duke Law fee waiver

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
reb402

Duke Law fee waiver

Postby reb402 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 am

I received a fee waiver to Duke this morning. I'm 3.9/162 with 3 years of WE, went to a top school for undergrad, and have terrific recommendations. I'm applying to a variety of schools since I know my LSAT isn't strong, but I still want to maintain hope! I submitted all of my apps in late-November and have been admitted to UW-Madison so far (Wisconsin resident), haven't heard from anyone else yet.

Is it even worth applying to Duke now just to see what happens? I'm not over the top excited about Durham, but with the fee waiver, I'd be more likely to just try. Are they just teasing me? Thoughts?
Last edited by reb402 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cooley4lyfe

Re: Duke Law fee waiver

Postby cooley4lyfe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:01 am

tease 100% unless URM

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 am

Yeah, I got one too this morning. I'm 3.4, 170, non URM. They're either desperate, fishing, or trying to boost their rejections. I might apply anyway for the hell of it anyway.

reb402

Postby reb402 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:12 am

It's just a matter of whether or not I want to set myself up for another rejection as a non-URM. Hmm...

Thanks for your responses!

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 am

I got one too and it kind of pissed me off because I never got love from Duke before. I'm a splitter and I know Duke does NOT like splitters. I feel that I am the victim of a tease. But I say - apply anyway if you are even thinking a little bit about Duke. It will only cost you $16. That's only 15 meals at McDonalds.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:17 pm

I got the fee waiver, 169/3.9.

I feel I have a shot, albeit a small one, so I'm going for it.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:18 pm

Oh, does the email to all of you say "priority track, will respond in 10 days to application"?

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:22 pm

This makes me angry. 3.4, 171 looks like I would have likely received a fee waiver if I had waited instead of submitting my app on Saturday. Maybe not though. Regardless, that's $80 I won't get back. grr

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:23 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:I got the fee waiver, 169/3.9.

I feel I have a shot, albeit a small one, so I'm going for it.

You have considerably better than a small shot at 169/3.9. And if you're priority track, you should know that almost all priority track apps have gotten in this cycle (close to 9/10).

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:43 pm

justicefishy wrote:Yeah, I got one too this morning. I'm 3.4, 170, non URM. They're either desperate, fishing, or trying to boost their rejections. I might apply anyway for the hell of it anyway.

Exact same stats, and yea never got one before when it would have actually benefited me. Either desperation or teasing and I am leaning towards the teasing. Good thing I won't be applying. If I were you tho OP, you might as well apply for the hell of it because 16 dollars is worth it to take a chance.

FidusAchates

Postby FidusAchates » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:01 pm

I got a non-PT fee waiver after the LSAT back in October, and I was really hoping to get a PT invite after I got my higher December score. But I didn't get anything this morning :(

Does anyone know if it's possible to solicit a PT invite?

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:12 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:
justicefishy wrote:Yeah, I got one too this morning. I'm 3.4, 170, non URM. They're either desperate, fishing, or trying to boost their rejections. I might apply anyway for the hell of it anyway.

Exact same stats, and yea never got one before when it would have actually benefited me. Either desperation or teasing and I am leaning towards the teasing. Good thing I won't be applying. If I were you tho OP, you might as well apply for the hell of it because 16 dollars is worth it to take a chance.

Same here after thinking about it. I'm into UVA already so, no need to try at Duke.

iwanna555

Postby iwanna555 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:05 pm

is it a reaaally long stretch for me?? lsat:161/ GPA:3.85 from Brown uni?? international student

maybe i'll apply next year with a better LSAT..

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:07 pm

jrthor10 wrote:This makes me angry. 3.4, 171 looks like I would have likely received a fee waiver if I had waited instead of submitting my app on Saturday. Maybe not though. Regardless, that's $80 I won't get back. grr

Why don't you email and ask if it's possible to receive a reimbursement? Some schools do this if you would have qualified but applied before it got to you. Of course, it may be a little pompous to assume you should have received one...

backwards54

Postby backwards54 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Got one as well... 168 and 4.08 GPA (= 3.88 in the US). Dunno if they really want me or if they just want to boost their rejections... don't think i'll apply

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:37 pm

reb402 wrote:I received a fee waiver to Duke this morning. I'm 3.9/162 with 3 years of WE, went to a top school for undergrad, and have terrific recommendations. I'm applying to a variety of schools since I know my LSAT isn't strong, but I still want to maintain hope! I submitted all of my apps in late-November and have been admitted to UW-Madison so far (Wisconsin resident), haven't heard from anyone else yet.

Is it even worth applying to Duke now just to see what happens? I'm not over the top excited about Durham, but with the fee waiver, I'd be more likely to just try. Are they just teasing me? Thoughts?

I think you should apply. If you have other apps that you need to focus on, don't divert time from those. But otherwise, why not? FWIW when I visited Duke Law I spoke with a 1L who said she had not even thought about applying initially and was shocked to get in and now here she is at Duke. Not sure what her stats are but I think it's worth a shot..why not? good luck!!

And to the person w/ 169 and 3.9... my gpa is a bit higher than that and I have significant WE but even those things aside, I think we have an okay shot.

And to the person not applying cause they already got into UVA... good call I already applied to Duke so I want to hear back from them, but personally , for me, I am not choosing Duke over UVA.

utopian_grrl

Postby utopian_grrl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 pm

I was given a hidden fee waiver from Duke (not sure if it's coming in the snail mail). I submitted the application and received a confirmation email from Duke - along with status checker login info. Less than 2 hours later, Duke sends me an email stating that my app was complete and being considered for Priority Track....but I didn't sign up for PT before submitting the app or indicate that I wanted to be considered for it (mostly because I had forgotten it existed - confused it with UVA's binding ED). I did sign up for PT after the last Duke email prompted me to do so if I had "not already done so."

Is this how they usually notify you that you're on the PT?

I wasn't planning on applying to Duke until my father talked me into it (major college sports fan and he's from the south). But the more I look into it, the more it's moving into my top 3 (it'd be my dream school if the campus moved a few hundred miles north and had got a few more inches of snow).

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:16 am

utopian_grrl wrote:I wasn't planning on applying to Duke until my father talked me into it (major college sports fan and he's from the south). But the more I look into it, the more it's moving into my top 3 (it'd be my dream school if the campus moved a few hundred miles north and had got a few more inches of snow).

My dad is the exact same. He thinks Duke is the best.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”