In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Why have you decieded to join this Pride

My mama made me
8%
I love to make cash and lots of it
28%
Makes me more appealing to the opposite sex
13%
Columbia is the only place that could contain my swagger
33%
I simply like to waste away reading in a library for hours
18%

Total votes: 97

shepson

Re: In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha

Postby shepson » Tue May 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Cheers. Good to know I'm not alone :)

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue May 01, 2012 2:46 pm

BaseballT wrote:
shepson wrote:Yes I did visit NW, and yes, definitely liked Columbia better. My SO is able to move to New York and keep her job, which she would not be able to do in Chicago. I'm also more keen on NYC than Chicago. Additionally, I work in government now, and (seriously) plan on doing PI work, most likely with the government, after school. If I went to Columbia, though, I might go the big firm route for several years first before entering PI work.

I would also like to eventually go into gov't, but especially because I'm choosing Columbia at sticker, plan to do about 3 years in Big Law to repay most of the debt.

You'll either need to land at Wachtell or find an interest-free loan to pull that off.

salamanders

Postby salamanders » Tue May 01, 2012 2:53 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
BaseballT wrote:
shepson wrote:Yes I did visit NW, and yes, definitely liked Columbia better. My SO is able to move to New York and keep her job, which she would not be able to do in Chicago. I'm also more keen on NYC than Chicago. Additionally, I work in government now, and (seriously) plan on doing PI work, most likely with the government, after school. If I went to Columbia, though, I might go the big firm route for several years first before entering PI work.

I would also like to eventually go into gov't, but especially because I'm choosing Columbia at sticker, plan to do about 3 years in Big Law to repay most of the debt.

You'll either need to land at Wachtell or find an interest-free loan to pull that off.

PI is possible w/o going to a firm. Columbia's LRAP is really great.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... l_aid/LRAP

I definitely plan to do PI, no interest in firm.

BaseballT

Postby BaseballT » Tue May 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
BaseballT wrote:

Haha...true. May have to aim for more like 50% repayment after 5 years. More reasonable?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue May 01, 2012 3:10 pm

BaseballT wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:You'll either need to land at Wachtell or find an interest-free loan to pull that off.

Haha...true. May have to aim for more like 50% repayment after 5 years. More reasonable?

Yeah, just gotta think long term. I think getting it under 100K before you leave BigLaw is a good goal, with perhaps a more aggressive schedule if you plan to head toward PI type work later.

Or just gun for Wachtell.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue May 01, 2012 3:10 pm

salamanders wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
BaseballT wrote:

PI is possible w/o going to a firm. Columbia's LRAP is really great.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... l_aid/LRAP

I definitely plan to do PI, no interest in firm.

That's the other alternative.

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:13 pm

shepson wrote:You turn down any scholarship $$ elsewhere? I didn't like Northwestern that much when I visited, but I did like the $90k they offered.

I turned down the same package to go to Columbia, FWIW I talked to a number of people who have been practicing law for a while and they actually agreed with my decision. Of course now that I've filled out all the loan paperwork I'm completely terrified, but if it doesn't work out we can drown our sorrows together.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue May 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Boston_NYG2245 wrote:
shepson wrote:You turn down any scholarship $$ elsewhere? I didn't like Northwestern that much when I visited, but I did like the $90k they offered.

I turned down the same package to go to Columbia, FWIW I talked to a number of people who have been practicing law for a while and they actually agreed with my decision. Of course now that I've filled out all the loan paperwork I'm completely terrified, but if it doesn't work out we can drown our sorrows together.

Sounds like a lot of us took Columbia over money at Northwestern. Here's to hoping it works out!

shepson

Postby shepson » Tue May 01, 2012 3:22 pm

I'll drink to that

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Boston_NYG2245 wrote:

Sounds like a lot of us took Columbia over money at Northwestern. Here's to hoping it works out!

Yeah, maybe we should start a club.

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Tue May 01, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm doing Columbia at sticker too. I never got much $ from anywhere, so the decision wasn't too hard.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Tue May 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Columbia at sticker as well, I turned down good money at Michigan and Duke and a few full rides at T20s.

I'm pretty convinced it's the right choice, either you come out very well positioned for a firm job, or take advantage of Columbia's fantastic LRAP. Everyone I've talked to in the field wholeheartedly agreed that this was the best decision.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Tue May 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Sticker here as well. Definitely planning to take advantage of the LRAP.

DrMurder

Postby DrMurder » Tue May 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Just withdrew w/ 50k. Hope some of you sticker folk get some $$$.

Tyeger87

Postby Tyeger87 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:24 pm

just got my finaid package from Columbia
it was nice - just difficult to wrap my head around the loans i will have to take out
ive got a difficult decision in the next few days

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue May 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Deposited close to two weeks ago (the 19th), but no email yet. Anyone in the same boat?

Was there anything important in the email? Or just the UNI?

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Tue May 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Bronck wrote:Deposited close to two weeks ago (the 19th), but no email yet. Anyone in the same boat?

I was going to call today, but the deposit finally showed up on my card.

Bronck wrote:Was there anything important in the email? Or just the UNI?

BaseballT

Postby BaseballT » Tue May 01, 2012 6:06 pm

So I shouldn't be worried that I just confirmed enrollment and submitted online credit card payment of the deposit today, right?

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Tue May 01, 2012 6:37 pm

Bronck wrote:Deposited close to two weeks ago (the 19th), but no email yet. Anyone in the same boat?

The UNI actually wasn't in the email.

It basically just has this link to setting up your email: http://www.law.columbia.edu/law_school/info_tech/stud_sup/incomingstudent

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue May 01, 2012 6:49 pm

icedflames wrote:

It basically just has this link to setting up your email: http://www.law.columbia.edu/law_school/info_tech/stud_sup/incomingstudent

Cool, thanks!

Edit: Have you registered with lawnet yet? I couldn't seem to find a registration area, only the sign in section. Or is more info w/r/t this in the email?

Corrupty

Postby Corrupty » Tue May 01, 2012 8:01 pm

Is anyone else soliciting private loans/Does anyone know what the process is for this?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue May 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Corrupty wrote:Is anyone else soliciting private loans/Does anyone know what the process is for this?

Banks give out private loans to students. Many are LIBOR + % rate based on credit rating, which means it's subject to monthly fluctuations. AFAIK banks generally cap the amount of student loans they give, e.g., at 110k. I've never dealt with private student loans, but I imagine you should first do some research online on the various institutions and banks, and then go in person.

I think it's fairly similar to government loans, in that you sign a promissory note that must be submitted to the university.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 pm

CLS email set up! (Why is Columbia not on Gmail yet!)

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Tue May 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Bronck wrote:
icedflames wrote:

Cool, thanks!

Edit: Have you registered with lawnet yet? I couldn't seem to find a registration area, only the sign in section. Or is more info w/r/t this in the email?

I have no idea how to use lawnet. I tried logging in with my UNI, but there seems to be a different registration? I'm not entirely sure

Elliott_Smith wrote:CLS email set up! (Why is Columbia not on Gmail yet!)

I think they are moving according to the email services page:

http://cuit.columbia.edu/cuit/email-services wrote:CUIT has three mail systems: CubMail, a free system for students, faculty and staff, a fee-based Microsoft Exchange mail system used mainly by administrative staff, and LionMail, Columbia’s new email system powered by Google.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Tue May 01, 2012 8:47 pm

Sweet my undergrad switched my first year as well. It makes everything so much easier.

Now to figure out Lawnet

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”