In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Why have you decieded to join this Pride

My mama made me
8%
I love to make cash and lots of it
28%
Makes me more appealing to the opposite sex
13%
Columbia is the only place that could contain my swagger
33%
I simply like to waste away reading in a library for hours
18%

Total votes: 97

puppylaw

Re: In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha

Postby puppylaw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Anyone care to share what you saw and learned at admitted students day last week?

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:34 pm

a.psu wrote:
ssteiner wrote:NYer and I haven't gotten an aid award letter yet. Probably has to do with me sending them a negotiation letter late last week.

Could you possibly send me a template of your letter? I honestly don't know where to begin with negotiating.

To be honest, had no idea what I was doing, so I'm not sure that I'd be the most helpful person. Basically, I briefly told them all the reasons I wanted to go to Columbia Law over other schools and mentioned a few things I saw/did at ASW that I really liked, and then told them that while all of these things really made Columbia a top choice for me, I couldn't attend the school at full price in good conscience with other peer schools offering x amount, and said that I hoped they'd consider me for an award.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:34 pm

ssteiner wrote:NYer and I haven't gotten an aid award letter yet. Probably has to do with me sending them a negotiation letter late last week.

+1

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Me too if you're up for it!

Still not sure how to go about letting them know about other scholarships...

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:42 pm

puppylaw wrote:Anyone care to share what you saw and learned at admitted students day last week?

I'm not the best source since I only went the first day, and I think the second day was a lot more informative. I sat in on a class that was pretty interesting and saw a lot of the apartment options. They were really nice and decently priced, which comes with being up in Morningside Heights as opposed to being more centrally located. One thing I didn't like about the apartments, though, is that apparently none of them have wifi, which struck me as being kind of crazy.

Other than that, there wasn't much that I learned. I went to a few information sessions but none of them were particularly useful. Found out that Columbia has an unusually high placement in firms in the summer between 1L and 2L years, though. Something like 17% of 1L students manage to land summer jobs at firms, which is pretty awesome.

One thing I didn't love, to be honest, was the students- I got a competitive vibe off of some of the ones I talked to that I didn't get off of students at other schools. There were a few students I spoke to, though, that were really friendly and didn't strike me as competitive at all, so it might have just been a few random ones rather than more indicative of the overall class.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Got the letter - no scholly. Will probably be withdrawing soon...

Mitterrand

Postby Mitterrand » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:51 pm

Last edited by Mitterrand on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Mitterrand wrote:Got the letter today and I'm in the southeast region. 37,500. Pretty excited and pretty sure I will be at CLS next fall

Over three years?

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:02 pm

ssteiner wrote:
a.psu wrote:

Could you possibly send me a template of your letter? I honestly don't know where to begin with negotiating.

To be honest, had no idea what I was doing, so I'm not sure that I'd be the most helpful person. Basically, I briefly told them all the reasons I wanted to go to Columbia Law over other schools and mentioned a few things I saw/did at ASW that I really liked, and then told them that while all of these things really made Columbia a top choice for me, I couldn't attend the school at full price in good conscience with other peer schools offering x amount, and said that I hoped they'd consider me for an award.

Anything helps :) Thank you!

Mitterrand

Postby Mitterrand » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:37 pm

Last edited by Mitterrand on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:42 pm

62.5k from Columbia. Looks like I'm almost certainly going to be in MH, barring a huge upgrade by NYU.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:04 pm

60k package from Columbia. Need to weigh it vs 87.5k at NYU and 90k at Chicago. Think I'm leaning Chicago but far from certain, and definitely regretting not having made it out to any ASWs.

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:60k package from Columbia. Need to weigh it vs 87.5k at NYU and 90k at Chicago. Think I'm leaning Chicago but far from certain, and definitely regretting not having made it out to any ASWs.

179/3.8....mind sharing how you faired with HYS?

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:57 pm

Out at Y, still waiting on H and S (applied in September).

This is my second cycle - I applied two years ago out of UG, then decided to walk away from that cycle before it was over. I now have a marginally higher GPA and did something pretty unusual in those two years, and my results this time around seem better for the most part - 60k at C vs 25k last time, 87.5k at NYU vs 45k last time. Though last time I had a November JR1 at H (ended up waitlisted in April and withdrew immediately), but this time no interview (not yet anyway).

The way you ask the question makes it seem like you'd expect me to get in at HYS, and certainly I'd be disappointed if I don't, but the odds seem long at this point in all fairness.

Corrupty

Postby Corrupty » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Just got the inside NY book today. Would have been nice to have before I spent a week in NYC, but I appreciate that Columbia just pours it on with the mailings.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Is there anyone else who submitted their fin aid stuff by march 1st that still hasn't heard anything either way about scholarships?

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:10 pm

snehpets wrote:Is there anyone else who submitted their fin aid stuff by march 1st that still hasn't heard anything either way about scholarships?

Me!

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:54 pm

snehpets wrote:Is there anyone else who submitted their fin aid stuff by march 1st that still hasn't heard anything either way about scholarships?

same here

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Submitted fin aid forms three weeks ago. any chance ill get it before the chicago april 15 deadline?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:14 pm

icedflames wrote:Submitted fin aid forms three weeks ago. any chance ill get it before the chicago april 15 deadline?

If you let them know about the Chicago deadline then yes

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Bronck wrote:
icedflames wrote:Submitted fin aid forms three weeks ago. any chance ill get it before the chicago april 15 deadline?

I told them my deadline was April 6th (last week) and haven't heard anything :?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:21 pm

snehpets wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Hmm, I'd give them a call in a day or two if you haven't heard yet.

They mailed me my letter as well, and it was actually postmarked March 29.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Bronck wrote:
snehpets wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Hmm, I'd give them a call in a day or two if you haven't heard yet.

They mailed me my letter as well, and it was actually postmarked March 29.

yeah, my mailman unexpectedly discontinued my mail without telling me ( :| ) so I'm a little concerned about it getting lost, but we are numbers twins, so I'd be slightly surprised if I got nothing. Fortunately NYU extended my deadline to the 13th, but still.

Also, to answer the question I don't think I ever did, I am leaning towards NYU, yes! Either way I'll see you in NYC next year I hope!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:30 pm

snehpets wrote:yeah, my mailman unexpectedly discontinued my mail without telling me ( :| ) so I'm a little concerned about it getting lost, but we are numbers twins, so I'd be slightly surprised if I got nothing. Fortunately NYU extended my deadline to the 13th, but still.

Also, to answer the question I don't think I ever did, I am leaning towards NYU, yes! Either way I'll see you in NYC next year I hope!

Weird :? Columbia emailed me the award as well, so you might get it through two media.

Yeah, I think so -- at the very least one of their 25-30k packages. I'm still shocked they beat my NYU offer. Guess what the COA for 2012-2013 will be? 79.5k :|

Nice! If you choose NYU, I'm sure I'll be heading down to the Village semi-regularly anyway.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:33 pm

Did everybody else get the fin aid stuff through email and regular mail?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”