In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Why have you decieded to join this Pride

My mama made me
8%
I love to make cash and lots of it
28%
Makes me more appealing to the opposite sex
13%
Columbia is the only place that could contain my swagger
33%
I simply like to waste away reading in a library for hours
18%

Total votes: 97

Elliott_Smith

Re: In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha

Postby Elliott_Smith » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:14 am

Bronck wrote:
ssteiner wrote:Is it too early to email Columbia regarding the scholarship offers I've gotten from similarly ranked schools? I was planning on waiting until they started making offers based on the info we sent in to the financial aid office, but deadlines are looming at certain schools.

I did it the day I got my NYU offer.

How did you word that? "btw, I got this bomb scholly from NYU?"

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:10 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:
Bronck wrote:
ssteiner wrote:Is it too early to email Columbia regarding the scholarship offers I've gotten from similarly ranked schools? I was planning on waiting until they started making offers based on the info we sent in to the financial aid office, but deadlines are looming at certain schools.

How did you word that? "btw, I got this bomb scholly from NYU?"

When I emailed them to check on financial aid information they actually said (without my prompting) that they will take award letters from other institutions into consideration while putting together a financial aid package.

arez

Postby arez » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 pm

So if we turned in the myriad of required paperwork by the March 1 deadline, when do we think we will start hearing on smaller, non-named aid amounts from Columbia?

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:20 pm

arez wrote:So if we turned in the myriad of required paperwork by the March 1 deadline, when do we think we will start hearing on smaller, non-named aid amounts from Columbia?

I was told "very shortly" last week.

arez

Postby arez » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Elendil wrote:
arez wrote:So if we turned in the myriad of required paperwork by the March 1 deadline, when do we think we will start hearing on smaller, non-named aid amounts from Columbia?

I was told "very shortly" last week.

Thanks for the info, hopefully they don't pull a Chicago where "soon" translates to a few weeks!

lameslice57

Postby lameslice57 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Bronck wrote:

jw, how soon did you get a response?

JF215

Postby JF215 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:26 pm

lameslice57 wrote:
Bronck wrote:

jw, how soon did you get a response?

how quickly are you all hearing back from the office generally?

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:41 pm

Just got back from ASD, had a great time. Planning to sit down and write my negotiation letter now. Two questions- do I address it to Admissions or to the Office of Financial Aid, and what do I title the email? Calling it "Scholarship Negotiation" or something seems kind of smug to me.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:10 pm

Tell us about ASD!

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Has anyone received an fin aid package yet?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:55 am

I decided to take a raincheck on the rest of the Columbia asw. Too much to do in this city. I was impressed by the size of the one bedroom apt I saw, and overall really liked the feel of the campus and surrounding area.

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:58 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:I decided to take a raincheck on the rest of the Columbia asw. Too much to do in this city. I was impressed by the size of the one bedroom apt I saw, and overall really liked the feel of the campus and surrounding area.

I didn't get to attend at all, but how were the UAH apartments?

Did anyone get a good look at the apartment share, studio, and one bedrooms?

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:40 am

icedflames wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I decided to take a raincheck on the rest of the Columbia asw. Too much to do in this city. I was impressed by the size of the one bedroom apt I saw, and overall really liked the feel of the campus and surrounding area.

I didn't go to this ASW, I went to a Mondays at Columbia... I did see all of the housing options and had a chance to speak with students living in each of the options. At each apartment there was a student to give us a tour and they gave pretty honest feedback and let us check everything out closely. I was definitely happy with the UAH 3 bedroom shares - it's my style of living. The girl living there also couldn't speak more highly of it. I'll be honest, the apartment shares weren't as nice as the Lenfest studios, but the rent is also $700 or so cheaper. Besides, I think it would be much more beneficial to live with other people that are going through the same trials of law school.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:03 pm

Elendil wrote:
icedflames wrote:

I didn't go to this ASW, I went to a Mondays at Columbia... I did see all of the housing options and had a chance to speak with students living in each of the options. At each apartment there was a student to give us a tour and they gave pretty honest feedback and let us check everything out closely. I was definitely happy with the UAH 3 bedroom shares - it's my style of living. The girl living there also couldn't speak more highly of it. I'll be honest, the apartment shares weren't as nice as the Lenfest studios, but the rent is also $700 or so cheaper. Besides, I think it would be much more beneficial to live with other people that are going through the same trials of law school.

+1 for what its worth this was exactly my experience as well

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Elendil wrote:
icedflames wrote:

+2 same here, very pleasantly surprised by the size and quality of the 2 and 3 room shares

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:23 pm

Darn, I was planning on going the studio/efficiency route as I spent undergrad living with friends, but it ended up being pretty unclean most of the time.

I'll probably take a look myself during the Mondays at Columbia.

Did you guys look at the law student only buildings or the general graduate buildings?

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:37 pm

icedflames wrote:Darn, I was planning on going the studio/efficiency route as I spent undergrad living with friends, but it ended up being pretty unclean most of the time.

I'll probably take a look myself during the Mondays at Columbia.

Did you guys look at the law student only buildings or the general graduate buildings?

I looked at both because a friend of mine lives in the grad student housing there. I was more impressed with the law school only apartments, but it could have just been the particular grad suite that I saw.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:44 pm

I love how much stuff Columbia sends. Constant mail.

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:55 am

This one stung, but withdrawn. Sad to see the dream go.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Sounds like aid awards have been mailed

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Sounds like aid awards have been mailed

how do ya know?
Last edited by icedflames on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:37 pm

pineappledazzler wrote:I got my CLS award today (of course, it was a grand total of nothing - but they have been mailed!) I'm in Massachusetts FWIW so if you're not so close it may take a few days.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=173895&p=5373173#p5373173

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:39 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
pineappledazzler wrote:I got my CLS award today (of course, it was a grand total of nothing - but they have been mailed!) I'm in Massachusetts FWIW so if you're not so close it may take a few days.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3#p5373173

Ah thanks.
Last edited by icedflames on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:26 pm

NYer and I haven't gotten an aid award letter yet. Probably has to do with me sending them a negotiation letter late last week.

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:28 pm

ssteiner wrote:NYer and I haven't gotten an aid award letter yet. Probably has to do with me sending them a negotiation letter late last week.

Could you possibly send me a template of your letter? I honestly don't know where to begin with negotiating.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”