In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Why have you decieded to join this Pride

My mama made me
8%
I love to make cash and lots of it
28%
Makes me more appealing to the opposite sex
13%
Columbia is the only place that could contain my swagger
33%
I simply like to waste away reading in a library for hours
18%

Total votes: 97

kaiser

Re: In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha

Postby kaiser » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:10 pm

aekea wrote:
Bronck wrote:
aekea wrote:Bronk, can I ask what other offers you sent in your negotiation letter? I have a few scholarship offers but I don't know if I should include all of them or just the ones from the relatively higher ranked schools?

I sent them the NYU offer + one from the MVP tier. I'm guessing they won't take offers at schools lower ranked than that very seriously, but it wouldn't hurt to just dump everything you've got in there.

Thanks! That's about what I was thinking. I guess I'll throw Cornell in there too, I doubt it will hurt. Don't know how I can make a decision on this by April 6th. Really hoping Columbia gets back to me before that...

Can't hurt to try. But I don't think Cornell scholarship offer will mean much to them. I tried using my Cornell offer to get some $$ out of Chicago last year, and instead of just saying no, Chicago said something along the lines of "sorry, but we need a competing offer from a peer school to take your request into consideration". Talk about being blunt.

aekea

Postby aekea » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 pm

kaiser wrote:
aekea wrote:
Bronck wrote:
aekea wrote:Bronk, can I ask what other offers you sent in your negotiation letter? I have a few scholarship offers but I don't know if I should include all of them or just the ones from the relatively higher ranked schools?

I sent them the NYU offer + one from the MVP tier. I'm guessing they won't take offers at schools lower ranked than that very seriously, but it wouldn't hurt to just dump everything you've got in there.

Thanks! That's about what I was thinking. I guess I'll throw Cornell in there too, I doubt it will hurt. Don't know how I can make a decision on this by April 6th. Really hoping Columbia gets back to me before that...

Can't hurt to try. But I don't think Cornell scholarship offer will mean much to them. I tried using my Cornell offer to get some $$ out of Chicago last year, and instead of just saying no, Chicago said something along the lines of "sorry, but we need a competing offer from a peer school to take your request into consideration". Talk about being blunt.

Hahaha ouch. Well, I guess I'm not taking the Cornell offer very seriously so I can't really expect Columbia to. I suppose I don't need it since I have offers from more "peer" schools.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:16 pm

aekea wrote:Hahaha ouch. Well, I guess I'm not taking the Cornell offer very seriously so I can't really expect Columbia to. I suppose I don't need it since I have offers from more "peer" schools.

Exactly. They very well might take the MVP-level offer into consideration, so if you have that, it can't hurt to pin any other good offers onto it.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 pm

kaiser wrote: Can't hurt to try. But I don't think Cornell scholarship offer will mean much to them. I tried using my Cornell offer to get some $$ out of Chicago last year, and instead of just saying no, Chicago said something along the lines of "sorry, but we need a competing offer from a peer school to take your request into consideration". Talk about being blunt.

That is kind of douchebaggey. Someone said they tried the same thing (except with Penn) last year, and got the exact same answer from Chicago.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:20 pm

ahnhub wrote:
kaiser wrote: Can't hurt to try. But I don't think Cornell scholarship offer will mean much to them. I tried using my Cornell offer to get some $$ out of Chicago last year, and instead of just saying no, Chicago said something along the lines of "sorry, but we need a competing offer from a peer school to take your request into consideration". Talk about being blunt.

That is kind of douchebaggey. Someone said they tried the same thing (except with Penn) last year, and got the exact same answer from Chicago.

Lawl, wow. I'm not even trying to negotiate with Chicago. Already withdrew after their pathetic scholarship offer.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:23 pm

ahnhub wrote:

Wow, I'm surprised that they would give the whole "sorry, not a peer school" line to Penn as well. I guess Chicago is only willing to negotiate scholarships based on offers from other T6 schools (which essentially amounts to Columbia and NYU, seeing as it is rare for someone to want to negotiate down based on a $$ award from HYS).

With one school, I was able to negotiate a scholarship pretty much just from sharing with them an acceptance from a T6 school, since they knew that all things equal at sticker I would choose the T6. But in every other case aside from Chicago, the school would just say to send in whatever scholarship offers I wanted them to know about, and they would just say yes or no. Only Chicago had to include the douchey "not our peer" line.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Just got accepted! So stoked. I have pretty much median numbers, does Columbia give even small merit awards? Would they negotiate with say a Duke scholarship offer.....

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:42 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Just got accepted! So stoked. I have pretty much median numbers, does Columbia give even small merit awards? Would they negotiate with say a Duke scholarship offer.....

Yes, they give small merit awards (a common one seems to be 25-30k).

Honestly, I feel like they wouldn't negotiate with a Duke offer. But, you should definitely give it a try, since you have absolutely nothing to lose.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:42 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Just got accepted! So stoked. I have pretty much median numbers, does Columbia give even small merit awards? Would they negotiate with say a Duke scholarship offer.....

Columbia gives grants to more than 50% of the class. I'd say you're definitely in the running. As for the Duke offer, it doesn't hurt to try. At the very least they won't laugh at you and say "come back with an offer from a school that ain't a TTT joke."

aekea

Postby aekea » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:42 am

I was worried about this so I did some research: for anyone with an NYU scholarship, Columbia has, in the past, sent applicants their financial aid info by email, rather than mail alone, as long as they inform Columbia about the scholarship's early April deadline to accept in advance. So, it looks like we should be getting financial aid info from Columbia before the NYU deadline, and you should definitely let Columbia know if you're facing any scholarship deadlines because they seem to respond.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:44 am

aekea wrote:I was worried about this so I did some research: for anyone with an NYU scholarship, Columbia has, in the past, sent applicants their financial aid info by email, rather than mail alone, as long as they inform Columbia about the scholarship's early April deadline to accept in advance. So, it looks like we should be getting financial aid info from Columbia before the NYU deadline, and you should definitely let Columbia know if you're facing any scholarship deadlines because they seem to respond.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Good thing I indicated NYU's deadline in my email. Any idea if CLS sends a confirmation email (i.e., that they received and are processing your request)?

aekea

Postby aekea » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:31 am

Bronck wrote:
aekea wrote:I was worried about this so I did some research: for anyone with an NYU scholarship, Columbia has, in the past, sent applicants their financial aid info by email, rather than mail alone, as long as they inform Columbia about the scholarship's early April deadline to accept in advance. So, it looks like we should be getting financial aid info from Columbia before the NYU deadline, and you should definitely let Columbia know if you're facing any scholarship deadlines because they seem to respond.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Good thing I indicated NYU's deadline in my email. Any idea if CLS sends a confirmation email (i.e., that they received and are processing your request)?

Looks like in general they don't acknowledge you at all until they send the financial aid package. But, only people who informed CLS of an impending deadline got emailed versions of their awards so they definitely paid attention. Someone mentioned that they called and asked about getting a decision earlier and was told over the phone that they'd email her their decision, so if you want confirmation I suppose you can call.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:26 am

aekea wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Looks like in general they don't acknowledge you at all until they send the financial aid package. But, only people who informed CLS of an impending deadline got emailed versions of their awards so they definitely paid attention. Someone mentioned that they called and asked about getting a decision earlier and was told over the phone that they'd email her their decision, so if you want confirmation I suppose you can call.

Good to know - thanks again for the detailed response.

bleylaw

Postby bleylaw » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:33 pm

okay so i called this morning and they said that if you didn't get MERIT aid when you were admitted you definitely will NOT now. But they said I should apply for need even though i think i don't qualify when i told them i had competing offers at NYU and Chicago. is this a wink-wink need actually means merit offer? or does columbia just not do it the same way as everyone else lol
chicago i got money after doing NOTHING, nyu i got money after filling out their simple form or whatever, why does CLS make me go through all this fafsa and stuff when im not even asking for need-aid?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:35 pm

bleylaw wrote:okay so i called this morning and they said that if you didn't get MERIT aid when you were admitted you definitely will NOT now. But they said I should apply for need even though i think i don't qualify when i told them i had competing offers at NYU and Chicago. is this a wink-wink need actually means merit offer? or does columbia just not do it the same way as everyone else lol
chicago i got money after doing NOTHING, nyu i got money after filling out their simple form or whatever, why does CLS make me go through all this fafsa and stuff when im not even asking for need-aid?

Dunno why they make us jump through all of these hoops, but it is pretty much

bleylaw wrote:a wink-wink need actually means merit offer

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:37 pm

I think Columbia is a little elliptical about FA because Yale and Harvard actually do nothing but need-based, and they feel like they have to make gestures in that direction.

That said, I was under the impression all aid was merit-based at CCN, and NYU gave me 37.5K/45 (PI) even though my numbers are crappy. They actually might factor in your financial situation.

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:21 am

Checking in. Very surprised to be accepted!

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:56 pm

daydreamer wrote:Checking in. Very surprised to be accepted!

Congrats! :D

rotaxkarter

Postby rotaxkarter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:09 am

Anyone else email CLS financial aid to ask when the packages are coming out?

I sent them an email but haven't received a reply. Basically wondering if I should email NYU to extend their finaid response deadline from April 6th.

If anyone has any idea when CLS packages may be coming out that would be great.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:11 am

rotaxkarter wrote:Anyone else email CLS financial aid to ask when the packages are coming out?

I sent them an email but haven't received a reply. Basically wondering if I should email NYU to extend their finaid response deadline from April 6th.

If anyone has any idea when CLS packages may be coming out that would be great.

+1 to that

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:58 pm

The answer is literally on this page.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:50 pm

Bronck wrote:The answer is literally on this page.

Haha fair point, but I think, at least for me, I was curious about when they would come out if you didnt mention to them a deadline

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Looks like they usually come out sometime in April. Harder to pinpoint any exact dates though.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:10 am

Bronck wrote:Looks like they usually come out sometime in April. Harder to pinpoint any exact dates though.

yeah that was the sense I was getting, thanks!

rotaxkarter

Postby rotaxkarter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:28 am

Take Two wrote:
Bronck wrote:Looks like they usually come out sometime in April. Harder to pinpoint any exact dates though.

yeah that was the sense I was getting, thanks!

I received a response from finaid. They suggested to work on extending any other deadlines, since they aren't likely to digress from theirs. There was no indication of when the info may become available.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”