In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Why have you decieded to join this Pride

My mama made me
8%
I love to make cash and lots of it
28%
Makes me more appealing to the opposite sex
13%
Columbia is the only place that could contain my swagger
33%
I simply like to waste away reading in a library for hours
18%

Total votes: 97

kindaklueless

Re: In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha

Postby kindaklueless » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Dumb question alert: Is the Facebook group for people that have already accepted a place in the class or merely those that have been accepted?

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:41 pm

kindaklueless wrote:Dumb question alert: Is the Facebook group for people that have already accepted a place in the class or merely those that have been accepted?

haha not saying it's not dumb but I also am curious as to the answer to this question 8)

Themaddh

Postby Themaddh » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:49 pm

I had lunch with a former boss today who is a CLS alum.

He said that at the NYU ASW, this was when Sexton was dean of the law school, they were constantly talking about and comparing themselves to Columbia in their pitch, and what made them the better school.

No such reciprocity at the CLS ASW, no one even mentioned the words NYU.................

Because everyone already knows CLS is the better school. Plus, who actually wants to do public interest law???

YAY US!!!

Sucks to be that insecure
Last edited by Themaddh on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:50 pm

hahah :D

bleylaw

Postby bleylaw » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:32 pm

anyone get merit aid yet?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:01 pm

kindaklueless wrote:Dumb question alert: Is the Facebook group for people that have already accepted a place in the class or merely those that have been accepted?

I've always been under the impression that those are for people who are already committed.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:01 pm

bleylaw wrote:anyone get merit aid yet?

No, that doesn't come out until April, generally.

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Checking in as of today!

So whats the deal with merit aid? I hear barely any is given out other than the Butler/Hamilton. If so, that sounds awful

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:35 pm

icedflames wrote:Checking in as of today!

So whats the deal with merit aid? I hear barely any is given out other than the Butler/Hamilton. If so, that sounds awful

No, over 50% of the class gets some form of aid (it's supposed to be merit and need-based, but ends up being largely merit). it's just that the amounts are generally smaller than what other schools give out--10-15K a year, for the most part.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:11 pm

At CLS today! It's very pretty of course, though more the main buildings than the law school. Also everyone seems normal, which is a plus :P

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:50 pm

snehpets wrote:At CLS today! It's very pretty of course, though more the main buildings than the law school. Also everyone seems normal, which is a plus :P

I have been shocked by how normal and cool and even downright attractive people are at ASWs. Reading TLS and NYTimes for the past year had me thinking law school students were just awful, awful human beings.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Travel subsidy denied. Lame.

yankees42789

Postby yankees42789 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:09 pm

ahnhub wrote:
snehpets wrote:At CLS today! It's very pretty of course, though more the main buildings than the law school. Also everyone seems normal, which is a plus :P

I have been shocked by how normal and cool and even downright attractive people are at ASWs. Reading TLS and NYTimes for the past year had me thinking law school students were just awful, awful human beings.

Agree with this 100%. How normal and nice/friendly the people were was by far the biggest surprise to me from my ASW visits.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Just got 50k from NYU. Looks like it's time to draft my negotiation letter to CLS.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:32 pm

Bronck wrote:Just got 50k from NYU. Looks like it's time to draft my negotiation letter to CLS.

Any evidence or stories of CLS being willing to negotiate for the fence-sitters among the NYC schools who get a sholly from one and not the other? I go to NYU law, but I do a lot of LSAT tutoring for incoming students, and many of my students are deciding between CLS and NYU. And since they are so close in most respects, my students often get the same level of scholarship from both, so I haven't had the chance to see any negotiation in action.
Last edited by kaiser on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wishyfishy

Postby wishyfishy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:35 pm

I asked this in the NYU thread, but can anyone here give a definitive answer on whether CLS awards will come out before or after the April 6th deadline for accepting NYU awards?

operagrl71

Postby operagrl71 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:48 pm

kaiser wrote:
Bronck wrote:Just got 50k from NYU. Looks like it's time to draft my negotiation letter to CLS.

Any evidence or stories of CLS being willing to negotiate for the fence-sitters among the NYC schools who get a sholly from one and not the other? I go to NYU law, but I do a lot of LSAT tutoring for incoming students, and many of my students are deciding between CLS and NYU. And since they are so close in most respects, my students often get the same level of scholarship from both, so I haven't had the chance to see any negotiation in action.

wishyfishy wrote:I asked this in the NYU thread, but can anyone here give a definitive answer on whether CLS awards will come out before or after the April 6th deadline for accepting NYU awards?

Would also love the answer to both of these...have $$s from NYU and Chicago so paying sticker at CLS is kind of a non-starter.

amc987

Postby amc987 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:49 pm

wishyfishy wrote:I asked this in the NYU thread, but can anyone here give a definitive answer on whether CLS awards will come out before or after the April 6th deadline for accepting NYU awards?

kaiser wrote:

These questions are relevant to my interests as well...

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:55 pm

kaiser wrote:

I'm honestly not sure. I've looked at previous threads, but haven't been able to find much definitive information.

I just emailed the financial aid office my negotiation letter, though. So I guess I can act as a test subject.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Bronck wrote:
kaiser wrote:

I'm honestly not sure. I've looked at previous threads, but haven't been able to find much definitive information.

I just emailed the financial aid office my negotiation letter, though. So I guess I can act as a test subject.

Great. Good luck with the negotiations. Its really a no lose situation for you since, even if CLS doesn't give you $$ and you end up at NYU, I can say from experience that its a great place to be (end obligatory NYU plug)

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:24 pm

kaiser wrote:
Bronck wrote:
kaiser wrote:

Great. Good luck with the negotiations. Its really a no lose situation for you since, even if CLS doesn't give you $$ and you end up at NYU, I can say from experience that its a great place to be (end obligatory NYU plug)

Thanks man! I have to admit CLS has always been more of a dream school for me, but I know I'd be very happy at NYU as well.

aekea

Postby aekea » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Bronk, can I ask what other offers you sent in your negotiation letter? I have a few scholarship offers but I don't know if I should include all of them or just the ones from the relatively higher ranked schools?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:00 pm

aekea wrote:Bronk, can I ask what other offers you sent in your negotiation letter? I have a few scholarship offers but I don't know if I should include all of them or just the ones from the relatively higher ranked schools?

I sent them the NYU offer + one from the MVP tier. I'm guessing they won't take offers at schools lower ranked than that very seriously, but it wouldn't hurt to just dump everything you've got in there.

aekea

Postby aekea » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Bronck wrote:
aekea wrote:Bronk, can I ask what other offers you sent in your negotiation letter? I have a few scholarship offers but I don't know if I should include all of them or just the ones from the relatively higher ranked schools?

I sent them the NYU offer + one from the MVP tier. I'm guessing they won't take offers at schools lower ranked than that very seriously, but it wouldn't hurt to just dump everything you've got in there.

Thanks! That's about what I was thinking. I guess I'll throw Cornell in there too, I doubt it will hurt. Don't know how I can make a decision on this by April 6th. Really hoping Columbia gets back to me before that...

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 pm

aekea wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Thanks! That's about what I was thinking. I guess I'll throw Cornell in there too, I doubt it will hurt. Don't know how I can make a decision on this by April 6th. Really hoping Columbia gets back to me before that...

Yeah seriously, that's a tight deadline.

Reading through previous threads, people requested deadline extensions from NYU and others called CLS near the deadline to get their awards expedited to them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”