In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Why have you decieded to join this Pride

My mama made me
8%
I love to make cash and lots of it
28%
Makes me more appealing to the opposite sex
13%
Columbia is the only place that could contain my swagger
33%
I simply like to waste away reading in a library for hours
18%

Total votes: 97

TheIdealist

New

Re: In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha

Post by TheIdealist » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:16 am

So is there a CLS c/o 2015 fb group yet??

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:35 am

TheIdealist wrote:So is there a CLS c/o 2015 fb group yet??
yes, just search Columbia Law class of 2015. a little over 100 members right now.

TheIdealist

New

Post by TheIdealist » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:45 am

Bronck wrote:
TheIdealist wrote:So is there a CLS c/o 2015 fb group yet??
yes, just search Columbia Law class of 2015. a little over 100 members right now.
Thanks! :]

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:53 am

^ NP! Welcome aboard, and see ya in August!

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:53 am

Lol, this is completely random but...:

I'm trying to join the Columbia FB network. I go to account setting --> edit networks --> search for Columbia (New York, NY) --> hit join. But then when I go back to the education section, it has a picture of Columbia Records and not the University lol. No idea if that's supposed to be the right thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:11 am

Ok anyone know tricks of the trade into what preferences and stuff to write for the housing app? Any particular block or something that nicer rooms, furnished or unfurnished, hidden gems? I'm filling this out last minute so any advice would be helpful! Looking for a 2 bedroom share, how difficult is that vs. a 3 bedroom share etc? Sorry for all the questions, I basically know nothing about Columbia housing, but I just deposited to the school today, EXCITED.

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:04 am

smokeylarue wrote:Ok anyone know tricks of the trade into what preferences and stuff to write for the housing app? Any particular block or something that nicer rooms, furnished or unfurnished, hidden gems? I'm filling this out last minute so any advice would be helpful! Looking for a 2 bedroom share, how difficult is that vs. a 3 bedroom share etc? Sorry for all the questions, I basically know nothing about Columbia housing, but I just deposited to the school today, EXCITED.
Some items to consider:
Cleanliness
Roommates
Preferred Housing Type
Cost Range for each type
Location (specify the law school only buildings if that's what you want)
Sq. Ft/Cost Ratio
Room Size
Size of specific rooms (I know one person requested the largest possible kitchen, and it was huge. Another requested a large living room)

If you want something specific, dont be afraid to ask for it. You may not get it, but at least you let them know.

ETA: by ask I mean put it in the comments section

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:15 am

Just offered some money from CLS! Since I was already set on CLS, this is just icing on the cake.

Although I'm still going to have to take out mad loans :(

lameslice57

New

Post by lameslice57 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Does anyone know the deposit language for Columbia? On the deposit page, it doesn't say anything about withdrawing from other places. I fully intend on attending Columbia, just wondering if I need to immediately withdraw from other places.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:01 pm

The handbook says they don't support the practice of multiple deposits. can't remember if they explicitly ask you to withdraw.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:35 pm

From the Admitted Student Website:
Multiple Deposits

We recognize that choosing a law school can sometimes be overwhelming; however, out of consideration for and fairness to the rest of our applicant pool, we do not support the practice of placing deposits at multiple law schools. Therefore, if you decide to hold a place at Columbia, we ask that you refrain from doing the same at other law schools. Should we discover that a candidate has made commitments to multiple law schools, Columbia reserves the right to revoke its offer of admission.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:59 pm

For housing, are we signing a lease or a contract?
The amount of the initial payment depends on whether you will be signing a lease or a contract for your unit.

Lease: First month's rent and a security deposit equal to one month's rent.
Contract: $1,000, which will be applied to your Student Financial Services account once you move in.
Lease: you should receive your first bill within one month of move-in and you will be billed monthly thereafter. In general, your first rent bill will be a pro-rated amount based on your move-in date. The Office of the Controller is responsible for monthly rent bills. Rent bills are delivered by building personnel prior to the first of the month for that upcoming month. Payments are due by the tenth of each month and must be issued by the tenant of record. Questions regarding billing should be addressed to the Office of the Controller at (212) 854-1009. All other concerns should be addressed to uah@columbia.edu.

Contract: you will be billed by Student Financial Services typically within two weeks after contract signing and move-in. Your contract will state the term charge, which is payable by the term due date. Questions concerning your Student Account Statement balance should be addressed to Student Financial Services at (212) 854-4400. If you have specific questions regarding your housing charge, contact uah@columbia.edu.

bluthbanana

New

Post by bluthbanana » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:34 pm

anybody having problems with the online enrollment? I've entered my information correctly, but it says that it doesn't match up with any records. Did I hallucinate getting in? Did anyone else have problems? I keep changing my mind every hour between cls and nyu--is this a sign!??!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Take Two

Silver

Post by Take Two » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Bronck wrote:For housing, are we signing a lease or a contract?
The amount of the initial payment depends on whether you will be signing a lease or a contract for your unit.

Lease: First month's rent and a security deposit equal to one month's rent.
Contract: $1,000, which will be applied to your Student Financial Services account once you move in.
Lease: you should receive your first bill within one month of move-in and you will be billed monthly thereafter. In general, your first rent bill will be a pro-rated amount based on your move-in date. The Office of the Controller is responsible for monthly rent bills. Rent bills are delivered by building personnel prior to the first of the month for that upcoming month. Payments are due by the tenth of each month and must be issued by the tenant of record. Questions regarding billing should be addressed to the Office of the Controller at (212) 854-1009. All other concerns should be addressed to uah@columbia.edu.

Contract: you will be billed by Student Financial Services typically within two weeks after contract signing and move-in. Your contract will state the term charge, which is payable by the term due date. Questions concerning your Student Account Statement balance should be addressed to Student Financial Services at (212) 854-4400. If you have specific questions regarding your housing charge, contact uah@columbia.edu.
Im pretty sure it depends on what housing you end up getting assigned some spots are one and some the other. But I also was a bit confused by that.

cgomez

New

Post by cgomez » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:53 pm

bluthbanana wrote:anybody having problems with the online enrollment? I've entered my information correctly, but it says that it doesn't match up with any records. Did I hallucinate getting in? Did anyone else have problems? I keep changing my mind every hour between cls and nyu--is this a sign!??!
I just deposited about 45 mins ago and it worked out fine. Try calling them tomorrow?

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:07 pm

bluthbanana wrote:anybody having problems with the online enrollment? I've entered my information correctly, but it says that it doesn't match up with any records. Did I hallucinate getting in? Did anyone else have problems? I keep changing my mind every hour between cls and nyu--is this a sign!??!
Don't worry, you are definitely in. TheIdealist and I both had these issues. If you give them a call, they'll let you pay via phone (or give u a contact person to pay via phone).

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:00 pm

Finally made my decision and deposited! Looking forward to meeting you all. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue May 01, 2012 1:57 am

Take Two wrote: Im pretty sure it depends on what housing you end up getting assigned some spots are one and some the other. But I also was a bit confused by that.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Depending on when you have to pay the rent + deposit (i.e., if it is before loan disbursement), I may have to have my parents help me cover the cost.

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Tue May 01, 2012 10:00 am

Bronck wrote:
Take Two wrote: Im pretty sure it depends on what housing you end up getting assigned some spots are one and some the other. But I also was a bit confused by that.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Depending on when you have to pay the rent + deposit (i.e., if it is before loan disbursement), I may have to have my parents help me cover the cost.
Yeah, my understanding is that this is the case. Which I did not budget for...

shepson

New

Post by shepson » Tue May 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Looking for a little solidarity with financial irresponsibility here - anyone out there attending at sticker price? That $79,000/year staring me in the face is bringing me to the brink of soiling myself.

BaseballT

New

Post by BaseballT » Tue May 01, 2012 2:08 pm

shepson wrote:Looking for a little solidarity with financial irresponsibility here - anyone out there attending at sticker price? That $79,000/year staring me in the face is bringing me to the brink of soiling myself.

I am attending at sticker. Tried really hard to get them to throw me like $15k across all years...no dice. I'm going anyway, and trying to ignore how large my debt will be at the end of the three years.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shepson

New

Post by shepson » Tue May 01, 2012 2:17 pm

You turn down any scholarship $$ elsewhere? I didn't like Northwestern that much when I visited, but I did like the $90k they offered.

BaseballT

New

Post by BaseballT » Tue May 01, 2012 2:26 pm

shepson wrote:You turn down any scholarship $$ elsewhere? I didn't like Northwestern that much when I visited, but I did like the $90k they offered.
I did, yes. I turned down UVA and Penn scholarships that were sizable in order to take advantage of location (professional and personal reasons). If you don't want to do Big Law at all, and if you don't have personal ties that make it more desirable to be in one city over another, I would go with the money. Did you visit Columbia and like the feel of it better than Northwestern?

shepson

New

Post by shepson » Tue May 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Yes I did visit NW, and yes, definitely liked Columbia better. My SO is able to move to New York and keep her job, which she would not be able to do in Chicago. I'm also more keen on NYC than Chicago. Additionally, I work in government now, and (seriously) plan on doing PI work, most likely with the government, after school. If I went to Columbia, though, I might go the big firm route for several years first before entering PI work.

BaseballT

New

Post by BaseballT » Tue May 01, 2012 2:40 pm

shepson wrote:Yes I did visit NW, and yes, definitely liked Columbia better. My SO is able to move to New York and keep her job, which she would not be able to do in Chicago. I'm also more keen on NYC than Chicago. Additionally, I work in government now, and (seriously) plan on doing PI work, most likely with the government, after school. If I went to Columbia, though, I might go the big firm route for several years first before entering PI work.
I would also like to eventually go into gov't, but especially because I'm choosing Columbia at sticker, plan to do about 3 years in Big Law to repay most of the debt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”