HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WhiteGuy5

Silver

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:50 pm

soj wrote:
norcal_youngin wrote:
soj wrote:A LOCI with updates on softs and extracurriculars is probably fine, but what difference does a scholarship at another school make? You're trying to get in, not negotiating.
to hear before the commitment deadline to the other school?
Oh, that makes sense. Yeah, you could probably mention that and ask if there's any way to expedite the decision.

Keep in mind, though, you're allowed to accept new offers of admission even after you've deposited elsewhere. For instance, if you deposited at Chicago on April 15th, got into Harvard on April 17th, and decided to go to Harvard, you're definitely allowed to withdraw from Chicago and deposit at Harvard instead. You'd lose your deposit at Chicago, though.
I think the bolded is true for everywhere EXCEPT Chicago. Or you might at least have to withdraw from places you've been waitlisted if you deposit at Chicago.

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:34 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote: I think the bolded is true for everywhere EXCEPT Chicago. Or you might at least have to withdraw from places you've been waitlisted if you deposit at Chicago.
You can keep your waitlists, but you have to withdraw from schools that haven't given you a decision at Chicago.

chickenalfredo

New

Post by chickenalfredo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:05 am

curiouscat wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote: I think the bolded is true for everywhere EXCEPT Chicago. Or you might at least have to withdraw from places you've been waitlisted if you deposit at Chicago.
You can keep your waitlists, but you have to withdraw from schools that haven't given you a decision at Chicago.
So if you are held you are in the clear then?

seanPtheB

Bronze

Post by seanPtheB » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:54 am

chickenalfredo wrote:
curiouscat wrote:
No, held isn't a waitlist.

chickenalfredo

New

Post by chickenalfredo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 am

seanPtheB wrote:
chickenalfredo wrote:
curiouscat wrote:
but held is a decision, albeit not a decisive one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 am

chickenalfredo wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:
but held is a decision, albeit not a decisive one.
Being held isn't a decision, it's a communication that states they're NOT making a decision yet.

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Is email okay if it's something really brief? I want to let them know that I have another deadline coming up and thought I'd work it into a LOCI, but on second thought I decided a full-fledged LOCI wouldn't be particularly useful at this point. I'd just like to let them know about the deadline, and it seems a little excessive to send a physical letter just for that (especially since I'm not in the US, so who knows how long the letter would take to get there). Anyone know if I can do that over email instead?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:11 pm

curiouscat wrote:Is email okay if it's something really brief? I want to let them know that I have another deadline coming up and thought I'd work it into a LOCI, but on second thought I decided a full-fledged LOCI wouldn't be particularly useful at this point. I'd just like to let them know about the deadline, and it seems a little excessive to send a physical letter just for that (especially since I'm not in the US, so who knows how long the letter would take to get there). Anyone know if I can do that over email instead?
I know that they don't open attachments via email, but I'm not sure what their policy is for information in the text of an email. I would just call them up and ask them what the preferred method for such a communication would be. The staff has been very nice in my communications with them.

PopTorts13

Bronze

Post by PopTorts13 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Is email okay if it's something really brief? I want to let them know that I have another deadline coming up and thought I'd work it into a LOCI, but on second thought I decided a full-fledged LOCI wouldn't be particularly useful at this point. I'd just like to let them know about the deadline, and it seems a little excessive to send a physical letter just for that (especially since I'm not in the US, so who knows how long the letter would take to get there). Anyone know if I can do that over email instead?
I know that they don't open attachments via email, but I'm not sure what their policy is for information in the text of an email. I would just call them up and ask them what the preferred method for such a communication would be. The staff has been very nice in my communications with them.
Curious to know what response you get Curiouscat. Please PM once you find out and thank you in advance!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chickenalfredo

New

Post by chickenalfredo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:17 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Curious to know what response you get Curiouscat. Please PM once you find out and thank you in advance!
+1 if you do not mind.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:34 pm

When all I wanted to do was change my address...they made me submit it via snail mail...even though I wrote it in the text of the email.

PopTorts13

Bronze

Post by PopTorts13 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:When all I wanted to do was change my address...they made me submit it via snail mail...even though I wrote it in the text of the email.
They have your e-mail on file and they still have that response. Fraudulent activity must be on a high at the Harvard Law admissions offices. I'd understand if they were quicker with their decisions once they received the snail-mail, but damn. Sorry LawSchoolProject, as much as people speak positively of HLS admissions and JS, things have been underwhelming considering who they are.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:21 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:When all I wanted to do was change my address...they made me submit it via snail mail...even though I wrote it in the text of the email.
Holy bananas.
This is a bit much, even for Haaaaavard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seanPtheB

Bronze

Post by seanPtheB » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:57 am

Geneva wrote:
Holy bananas.
This is a bit much, even for Haaaaavard Haaaaavahd.
ftfy

photobooth

New

Post by photobooth » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:38 am

Hey guys, I sent in my LOCI earlier this week and got a response a few minutes ago. No big surprise that I got denied, but it was fun while it lasted (at least I get to know I wasn't an auto-ding). To all of you still waiting, I wish you all the best and good luck! See you all in the legal field in 3 years! :)

kindaklueless

Bronze

Post by kindaklueless » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:41 am

When were you held?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:45 am

photobooth wrote:Hey guys, I sent in my LOCI earlier this week and got a response a few minutes ago. No big surprise that I got denied, but it was fun while it lasted (at least I get to know I wasn't an auto-ding). To all of you still waiting, I wish you all the best and good luck! See you all in the legal field in 3 years! :)
So you were held, then rejected?

I didn't know that happened.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:47 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
photobooth wrote:Hey guys, I sent in my LOCI earlier this week and got a response a few minutes ago. No big surprise that I got denied, but it was fun while it lasted (at least I get to know I wasn't an auto-ding). To all of you still waiting, I wish you all the best and good luck! See you all in the legal field in 3 years! :)

Errrr yeah. Pretty sure a lot of the people who are held eventually get rejected...

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:48 am

Elendil wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Errrr yeah. Pretty sure a lot of the people who are held eventually get rejected...
For some reason I though most held people end up getting WL

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:51 am

chucklesmcgee wrote:
Looking through last year's holds, it seems a lot of people continued to join the hold pile even post deadline period, even as late as early April. A bunch of dings came around April 12-13, then everyone else was thrown onto the waitlist on the April 21st. A bunch of people on the waitlist got JR1 (second interviews?) around May 3rd-4th. Then acceptances for WL came out May 9th. I guess I could drudge through pages and pages of old threads but I think we'll be waiting for a while if this cycle is like last year.

photobooth

New

Post by photobooth » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:52 am

kindaklueless wrote:When were you held?
I was held 2/10. I was pretty surprised at the quick response, though it might be because I stated I had an April 15 deadline.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:55 am

photobooth wrote:
kindaklueless wrote:When were you held?
I was held 2/10. I was pretty surprised at the quick response, though it might be because I stated I had an April 15 deadline.
Makes sense, though I'm sorry you were dinged. I'll probably tell them about an April 16th deadline. Honestly I just want an answer.

chemE_envlaw

New

Post by chemE_envlaw » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:26 pm

I'm so honored, I never really thought I'd end up belonging in this thread...

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:35 pm

aiming high ;)

Welcome!

TammyG

New

Post by TammyG » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Checking in! Got the email today. :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?