HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
madvillain
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby madvillain » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:08 pm

So I was wondering: I received a scholarship offer from NYU and I have to send in my statement of intent to enroll by April 6th to keep my scholarship. This form states that I must withdraw from all schools I have been accepted by thus far. I have been under hold at H since January. If I go ahead and send in my deposit to NYU what happens if theoretically I get a JS1 before April 6th?

chickenalfredo
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby chickenalfredo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:13 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
whentheworldcavesin wrote:For those of you who were held and received JS1s this week.... did your "under review" status change to the date you received your JS1 email?


Look on the left-hand side and it will say "interview scheduled" with the date of the JS1 e-mail. Complete/Under Review date does not change.



hmm mine doesnt have the interview scheduled and I had my interview last week.

User avatar
Elendil
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Elendil » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:16 pm

madvillain wrote:So I was wondering: I received a scholarship offer from NYU and I have to send in my statement of intent to enroll by April 6th to keep my scholarship. This form states that I must withdraw from all schools I have been accepted by thus far. I have been under hold at H since January. If I go ahead and send in my deposit to NYU what happens if theoretically I get a JS1 before April 6th?


+1. Any insight? It's kind of an awkward question to pose to NYU lol

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Elendil wrote:
madvillain wrote:So I was wondering: I received a scholarship offer from NYU and I have to send in my statement of intent to enroll by April 6th to keep my scholarship. This form states that I must withdraw from all schools I have been accepted by thus far. I have been under hold at H since January. If I go ahead and send in my deposit to NYU what happens if theoretically I get a JS1 before April 6th?


+1. Any insight? It's kind of an awkward question to pose to NYU lol


JS1 is not an acceptance. So long as you don't get a JS2 before April 6th, it doesn't matter.

User avatar
QueMellow
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:09 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby QueMellow » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Elendil wrote:
madvillain wrote:So I was wondering: I received a scholarship offer from NYU and I have to send in my statement of intent to enroll by April 6th to keep my scholarship. This form states that I must withdraw from all schools I have been accepted by thus far. I have been under hold at H since January. If I go ahead and send in my deposit to NYU what happens if theoretically I get a JS1 before April 6th?


+1. Any insight? It's kind of an awkward question to pose to NYU lol


JS1 is not an acceptance. So long as you don't get a JS2 before April 6th, it doesn't matter.



I would ask Harvard to hurry up, but not in those words of course. It's not unheard of - in fact, it must happen all the time - to ask schools to expedite things in the face of other schools' looming deadlines.

madvillain
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby madvillain » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:14 pm

I haven't actually got a JS1 yet so I suppose there's nothing I can do in the meantime. It'd be interesting to see if you could ask H to withhold the JS2 until after April 6th so you could get around the NYU deadline, because I imagine this late in the cycle that they wouldn't mind holding off making a decision for an extra week or so anyway.

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:41 am

madvillain wrote:I haven't actually got a JS1 yet so I suppose there's nothing I can do in the meantime. It'd be interesting to see if you could ask H to withhold the JS2 until after April 6th so you could get around the NYU deadline, because I imagine this late in the cycle that they wouldn't mind holding off making a decision for an extra week or so anyway.


- Hello, is this Jessica Soban?
- Yes.
- Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news and I know that you barely slept in the weekend because of the excitement of finally getting to admit someone of my caliber, but could you hold that until after April 6th?
- Of course, Your Highness.
- Thanks, you are a dear.

???

User avatar
Elliott_Smith
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:34 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Elliott_Smith » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:56 am

.....

You want to ask Harvard to wait on admitting you?

I think a look at the bigger picture is called for here.

User avatar
curiouscat
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby curiouscat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:39 am

I think madvillain just meant holding off on making any decision, not necessarily an acceptance - you guys are making his question out to seem much douchier than it actually was.

That said, I don't think there's any delicate way to ask them to delay a decision. It would look pretty awkward. The good news is that I think things will turn out fine regardless of how Harvard moves - if there's a rejection before April 6, your choice is that much easier; if it's a WL/no decision, you can hang onto that for a while; and if it's an acceptance, well, that's a tough decision to make under the pressure of time, but there are worse places to be than choosing between big money at a T6 and HLS. :)

On a another note - what about asking HLS to hurry things up (in a more polite way, of course)? I'm leaning towards Chicago, and there I'm supposed to withdraw from any schools that didn't make a decision by the April 15 deadline, so I'd really like to get a decision before then. Is it appropriate for me to contact them and mention the deadline, or is that too pushy/useless?

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Killingly » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:44 am

curiouscat wrote:I think madvillain just meant holding off on making any decision, not necessarily an acceptance - you guys are making his question out to seem much douchier than it actually was.

That said, I don't think there's any delicate way to ask them to delay a decision. It would look pretty awkward. The good news is that I think things will turn out fine regardless of how Harvard moves - if there's a rejection before April 6, your choice is that much easier; if it's a WL/no decision, you can hang onto that for a while; and if it's an acceptance, well, that's a tough decision to make under the pressure of time, but there are worse places to be than choosing between big money at a T6 and HLS. :)

On a another note - what about asking HLS to hurry things up (in a more polite way, of course)? I'm leaning towards Chicago, and there I'm supposed to withdraw from any schools that didn't make a decision by the April 15 deadline, so I'd really like to get a decision before then. Is it appropriate for me to contact them and mention the deadline, or is that too pushy/useless?


Definitely appropriate. The held e-mail actually says to contact them if you're facing another deadline. Good luck!

EvelynS
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby EvelynS » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:45 am

curiouscat wrote:I think madvillain just meant holding off on making any decision, not necessarily an acceptance - you guys are making his question out to seem much douchier than it actually was.

That said, I don't think there's any delicate way to ask them to delay a decision. It would look pretty awkward. The good news is that I think things will turn out fine regardless of how Harvard moves - if there's a rejection before April 6, your choice is that much easier; if it's a WL/no decision, you can hang onto that for a while; and if it's an acceptance, well, that's a tough decision to make under the pressure of time, but there are worse places to be than choosing between big money at a T6 and HLS. :)

On a another note - what about asking HLS to hurry things up (in a more polite way, of course)? I'm leaning towards Chicago, and there I'm supposed to withdraw from any schools that didn't make a decision by the April 15 deadline, so I'd really like to get a decision before then. Is it appropriate for me to contact them and mention the deadline, or is that too pushy/useless?


I think they mention in hold email that you may inform them about the deadlines you have to meet. However, they also point out that they will not assure the response by the date you asked for.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby EMZE » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:47 am

Just leave this situation be, in the sense of corresponding with HLS. If you get a JS1 and consequently a JS2, then you will have a decision to make. Once you get that JS1, start thinking hard about what you will do.

Can't you just say you intend to accept right now, and then if HLS does change their mind, you have already communicated your intent and therefore don't have to wait in this limbo? I would just tell them yes, withdraw all the other acceptances, and then if HLS does come down with an acceptance, you can say that you were not accepted to HLS when you gave your statement of intent.

User avatar
curiouscat
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby curiouscat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks guys. I'll let them know and work a mini-LOCI into the mix.

EMZE wrote:Just leave this situation be, in the sense of corresponding with HLS. If you get a JS1 and consequently a JS2, then you will have a decision to make. Once you get that JS1, start thinking hard about what you will do.

Can't you just say you intend to accept right now, and then if HLS does change their mind, you have already communicated your intent and therefore don't have to wait in this limbo? I would just tell them yes, withdraw all the other acceptances, and then if HLS does come down with an acceptance, you can say that you were not accepted to HLS when you gave your statement of intent.


Not sure if this was addressed to my question, but the concern with Chicago is just that you have to withdraw out of all schools that haven't gotten back to you yet when you make your deposit. I definitely agree with this advice for people considering other schools that don't have that requirement, though.

madvillain
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby madvillain » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Apologies if I sounded arrogant or whatever- couldn't be further from the truth, I don't even expect an interview at this point in time. I imagine those with JS1's though might perhaps benefit from informing H about their deadlines, that's all. But to make it very clear, in my personal case I do not think I will get a JS1 or JS2 anyway, I am simply musing about hypothetical situations. Good luck to all.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby EMZE » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:50 pm

curiouscat wrote:Thanks guys. I'll let them know and work a mini-LOCI into the mix.

EMZE wrote:Just leave this situation be, in the sense of corresponding with HLS. If you get a JS1 and consequently a JS2, then you will have a decision to make. Once you get that JS1, start thinking hard about what you will do.

Can't you just say you intend to accept right now, and then if HLS does change their mind, you have already communicated your intent and therefore don't have to wait in this limbo? I would just tell them yes, withdraw all the other acceptances, and then if HLS does come down with an acceptance, you can say that you were not accepted to HLS when you gave your statement of intent.


Not sure if this was addressed to my question, but the concern with Chicago is just that you have to withdraw out of all schools that haven't gotten back to you yet when you make your deposit. I definitely agree with this advice for people considering other schools that don't have that requirement, though.



Wasn't towards you. It was for the NYU question.

chickenalfredo
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby chickenalfredo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:21 pm

I had a JS1 last week and there is no mention of it on my status checker anywhere. Is this the case for anyone else?

User avatar
PopTorts13
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby PopTorts13 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:33 pm

chickenalfredo wrote:I had a JS1 last week and there is no mention of it on my status checker anywhere. Is this the case for anyone else?


Mine says that one has been scheduled underneath the "Mailings" on the left-hand side, with a date next to it. However, there is no date or confirmation that we had our interview. Seeing that later interviews are getting their JS2's, I think it is safe to say I'm fucked... and not in a good way.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:36 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
chickenalfredo wrote:I had a JS1 last week and there is no mention of it on my status checker anywhere. Is this the case for anyone else?


Mine says that one has been scheduled underneath the "Mailings" on the left-hand side, with a date next to it. However, there is no date or confirmation that we had our interview. Seeing that later interviews are getting their JS2's, I think it is safe to say I'm fucked... and not in a good way.


Mine doesn't say anything either...

Oh wait I didn't get a JS1 :cry:

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Geneva » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:
chickenalfredo wrote:I had a JS1 last week and there is no mention of it on my status checker anywhere. Is this the case for anyone else?


Mine says that one has been scheduled underneath the "Mailings" on the left-hand side, with a date next to it. However, there is no date or confirmation that we had our interview. Seeing that later interviews are getting their JS2's, I think it is safe to say I'm fucked... and not in a good way.


Mine doesn't say anything either...

Oh wait I didn't get a JS1 :cry:


Oh wait, maybe HLS is just exercising YP and waiting to see if we withdraw when we get into yale, columbia w/ hamilton, etc. CLEARLY THAT IS THE REASON WE DON'T HAVE JS1S. Right? Of course right!

User avatar
Elliott_Smith
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:34 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Elliott_Smith » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Got my postcard back. LOCI is apparently received.


And now we wait.

--ImageRemoved--

norcal_youngin
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby norcal_youngin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:02 pm

already sent in a LOCI last month, but just got some chicago money. worth sending in another LOCI? I have a few other updates on softs and extracurriculars too

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Geneva » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:06 pm

norcal_youngin wrote:already sent in a LOCI last month, but just got some chicago money. worth sending in another LOCI? I have a few other updates on softs and extracurriculars too


Dumb question, but how long should one's LOCI be for Harvard and is it absolutely necessary that it be sent by snail mail? HLS won't open attachments, but I assume they would add a standard email to my file?

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby soj » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:13 pm

A LOCI with updates on softs and extracurriculars is probably fine, but what difference does a scholarship at another school make? You're trying to get in, not negotiating.

norcal_youngin
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby norcal_youngin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:30 pm

soj wrote:A LOCI with updates on softs and extracurriculars is probably fine, but what difference does a scholarship at another school make? You're trying to get in, not negotiating.


to hear before the commitment deadline to the other school?

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby soj » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:37 pm

norcal_youngin wrote:
soj wrote:A LOCI with updates on softs and extracurriculars is probably fine, but what difference does a scholarship at another school make? You're trying to get in, not negotiating.


to hear before the commitment deadline to the other school?

Oh, that makes sense. Yeah, you could probably mention that and ask if there's any way to expedite the decision.

Keep in mind, though, you're allowed to accept new offers of admission even after you've deposited elsewhere. For instance, if you deposited at Chicago on April 15th, got into Harvard on April 17th, and decided to go to Harvard, you're definitely allowed to withdraw from Chicago and deposit at Harvard instead. You'd lose your deposit at Chicago, though.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kaziende, mm2368, potterotter, proteinshake, uhwrestler and 13 guests