HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EMZE

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby EMZE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:18 am

When sending in a new LOR, would there be any benefit to sending in one from someone who already wrote a solid LOR, but a new one that is school specific? The individual is not affiliated with H in any way, but knows me as a subordinate and can probably speak to my potential better than anyone. Within the military, he is an incredibly well established individual, with tons of experience in the special operations community and in conducting high intensity, covert operations of strategic impact.

It would be hard to trump the last LOR as far as how well it made my case, but I just wonder if I getting him to hone in on why Harvard would benefit from my attendance would be of any help at all. He would have me preview it first, and I would definitely not use it if it is more of the same. I just have a feeling that his first LOR said some great things that probable gave the adcomm enough of a reason to hold me in the first place; that same LOR was also mentioned in every other personal correspondence I received from ther schools as being exceptionally helpful in them choosing me.

I am sure like most others on here, we are all type-a people grasping for any straw we can find to help our case, and this is just one of the courses of action I am considering.

erikjc

Postby erikjc » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Has anyone been WL yet, or is it just holds?

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:49 pm

EMZE wrote:a lot of words

I commend your consistency in long posts. :P

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:51 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
EMZE wrote:a lot of words

I commend your consistency in long posts. :P

Sorry. Longwinded when typing. I'll work on being more concise.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Edit: Thanks to those who offered and helped
Last edited by EMZE on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Has anyone that had a KB1 been held yet?

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:44 pm

EMZE wrote:So. Who is offering to read LOCI's?

I'm game if you wanna PM it to me..

Gorges

Postby Gorges » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:30 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Has anyone that had a KB1 been held yet?

I don't think so, but let's hope for this week!

alevin

Postby alevin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:24 pm

EMZE wrote:When sending in a new LOR, would there be any benefit to sending in one from someone who already wrote a solid LOR, but a new one that is school specific? The individual is not affiliated with H in any way, but knows me as a subordinate and can probably speak to my potential better than anyone. Within the military, he is an incredibly well established individual, with tons of experience in the special operations community and in conducting high intensity, covert operations of strategic impact.

It would be hard to trump the last LOR as far as how well it made my case, but I just wonder if I getting him to hone in on why Harvard would benefit from my attendance would be of any help at all. He would have me preview it first, and I would definitely not use it if it is more of the same. I just have a feeling that his first LOR said some great things that probable gave the adcomm enough of a reason to hold me in the first place; that same LOR was also mentioned in every other personal correspondence I received from ther schools as being exceptionally helpful in them choosing me.

I am sure like most others on here, we are all type-a people grasping for any straw we can find to help our case, and this is just one of the courses of action I am considering.

you really shouldn't send in another one. " Please note that your application was complete with the letters of recommendation that you already submitted. Additional letters of recommendation, therefore, are unnecessary at this time."

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/admissions ... %E2%80%9D/

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks for the advice, and thanks for the link!

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:47 pm

The blog says that people who were held were complete for at least two months. But I went complete 12/1. Anyone else?

Harvard14

Postby Harvard14 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:57 pm

Checking in to give y'all some hope...

I was held 2.5 months after applying. I didn't think much of it until 2-3 weeks later, when TLSers started posting that they had sent in LOCI's and subsequently received JR1s. I was all let down, thinking I had missed a chance that I hadn't realized actually existed. Literally as I sat down to my computer the next day to compose an LOCI, there was a JR1 in my inbox!

Good luck everyone, and hope to see you next year!

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Harvard14 wrote:Checking in to give y'all some hope...

I was held 2.5 months after applying. I didn't think much of it until 2-3 weeks later, when TLSers started posting that they had sent in LOCI's and subsequently received JR1s. I was all let down, thinking I had missed a chance that I hadn't realized actually existed. Literally as I sat down to my computer the next day to compose an LOCI, there was a JR1 in my inbox!

Thanks for sharing. What were your stats and submit dates, if you don't mind sharing?

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:29 am

Killingly wrote:The blog says that people who were held were complete for at least two months. But I went complete 12/1. Anyone else?

I think the two months thing is just a general rule of thumb. It looks like January's just the time for a large batch of holds, which happens to be 2+ months for most.

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks. This is helpful to hear. +1 to Whiteguy's stats request. Do you have a general sense of how many of your classmates were held before acceptance? I'm trying to get an idea of how much the class typically gets filled by the point, and how common it is for those who get holds to get in.

planeride

Postby planeride » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:50 am

alevin wrote:
EMZE wrote:When sending in a new LOR, would there be any benefit to sending in one from someone who already wrote a solid LOR, but a new one that is school specific? The individual is not affiliated with H in any way, but knows me as a subordinate and can probably speak to my potential better than anyone. Within the military, he is an incredibly well established individual, with tons of experience in the special operations community and in conducting high intensity, covert operations of strategic impact.

you really shouldn't send in another one. " Please note that your application was complete with the letters of recommendation that you already submitted. Additional letters of recommendation, therefore, are unnecessary at this time."

I don't think it's as clear-cut as that. Compare to the hold email: "A hold decision provides you with the opportunity to update and supplement your file. ... Any new information that you feel might be helpful is appropriate."

Then there's the mini-interview with an admissions person someone posted in the Harvard applicants thread, which says something different from the blog and the email. It's all very mysterious.

Harvard14

Postby Harvard14 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:52 am

curiouscat wrote:

Thanks. This is helpful to hear. +1 to Whiteguy's stats request. Do you have a general sense of how many of your classmates were held before acceptance? I'm trying to get an idea of how much the class typically gets filled by the point, and how common it is for those who get holds to get in.

I'd rather not discuss stats in detail, but I was a borderline reverse splitter for Harvard. I applied around mid-November and I got held at the end of January. I have no idea when most people in my class were accepted. It's really not much of a topic of discussion. From what I recall from last year's thread, most who were held were not accepted, but many were. You're obviously being held because Harvard thinks you have a legitimate shot...hang in there!

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 pm

I sucked it up and finally tried to draft a halfway decent LOCI. Anyone available to read it over for me? Much appreciated!!

alevin

Postby alevin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Frankly, I consider it an honor to be held haha. Good luck to everyone!

80eight

Postby 80eight » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Taggg. Is there a point in rushing to get supplemental materials sent in?

alevin

Postby alevin » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:52 am

planeride wrote:
alevin wrote:

I don't think it's as clear-cut as that. Compare to the hold email: "A hold decision provides you with the opportunity to update and supplement your file. ... Any new information that you feel might be helpful is appropriate."

Then there's the mini-interview with an admissions person someone posted in the Harvard applicants thread, which says something different from the blog and the email. It's all very mysterious.

Yeah, I guess LOR would be helpful. I'm just afraid of angering them haha.

rotaxkarter

Postby rotaxkarter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:20 am

Just checking in, held on 1/13

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:25 am

So the consensus is that sending a LOR or LOCI is okay?

I'm confused with the blog post saying that LORs will not be added to your file, while others are saying you should send one in.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 am

Checking in, held today.

alevin

Postby alevin » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am

icedflames wrote:So the consensus is that sending a LOR or LOCI is okay?

I'm confused with the blog post saying that LORs will not be added to your file, while others are saying you should send one in.

I had already sent 4 in, so I'm not sending anymore. I guess I'm not too sure what 1 more will do. I did a LOCI updating them on my life

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”