HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dino_Spumoni

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Dino_Spumoni » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Has anyone who was held in january gotten an interview or a decision yet or are we all still waiting to hear back?

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Dino_Spumoni wrote:Has anyone who was held in january gotten an interview or a decision yet or are we all still waiting to hear back?

So far it looks like it's just been late submitters getting JS1s.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:51 pm

curiouscat wrote:
Dino_Spumoni wrote:Has anyone who was held in january gotten an interview or a decision yet or are we all still waiting to hear back?

So far it looks like it's just been late submitters getting JS1s.

non-hold late submitters*

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:57 pm

From going over last year's LSN, it seems like late-February/early-March is when they start to give held applicants a second look, with most held JR2's coming out on 3/7. So my educated guess is that we will see some held people get offered starting next week, and then after that, a bunch of rejects followed by a bunch of WL's leading up to the final round of accepts in early May (WL'd applicants).

Dino_Spumoni

Postby Dino_Spumoni » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:20 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:From going over last year's LSN, it seems like late-February/early-March is when they start to give held applicants a second look, with most held JR2's coming out on 3/7. So my educated guess is that we will see some held people get offered starting next week, and then after that, a bunch of rejects followed by a bunch of WL's leading up to the final round of accepts in early May (WL'd applicants).
Thanks. That's helpful. Here's hoping it works out for the early applicants!

amc987

Postby amc987 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:47 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:From going over last year's LSN, it seems like late-February/early-March is when they start to give held applicants a second look, with most held JR2's coming out on 3/7. So my educated guess is that we will see some held people get offered starting next week, and then after that, a bunch of rejects followed by a bunch of WL's leading up to the final round of accepts in early May (WL'd applicants).

Any chance that there will be a HUGE number of held candidates who are accepted this year? I guess that could fit in with the theory that Harvard has accepted fewer people as of late-Feb in this cycle than it had by this time in previous cycles. So maybe things will go our way this year? I guess I'm daring to dream.

LSN is so bleak. I only count about 8 holds to acceptances (I'm judging by submission dates of Sep-Nov), and all of those lucky individuals were accepted in March. That is compared to about 9 rejections, and about 39 wait lists of people who were held with similar submission dates. I know LSN is unrepresentative in a lot of ways, but damn, the odds don't seem to be very good. Le sigh.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:37 am

amc987 wrote:

Any chance that there will be a HUGE number of held candidates who are accepted this year? I guess that could fit in with the theory that Harvard has accepted fewer people as of late-Feb in this cycle than it had by this time in previous cycles. So maybe things will go our way this year? I guess I'm daring to dream.

LSN is so bleak. I only count about 8 holds to acceptances (I'm judging by submission dates of Sep-Nov), and all of those lucky individuals were accepted in March. That is compared to about 9 rejections, and about 39 wait lists of people who were held with similar submission dates. I know LSN is unrepresentative in a lot of ways, but damn, the odds don't seem to be very good. Le sigh.

Just over 14%

boosk

Postby boosk » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:39 am

FryBreadPower wrote:
amc987 wrote:

Just over 14%

How do u know if an applicant was held on LSN? There's no designation for it...

amc987

Postby amc987 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:47 pm

boosk wrote:How do u know if an applicant was held on LSN? There's no designation for it...

It's not an exact science. Some people use the D icon to indicated that they were deferred (held). Some people also indicate the hold in the notes they make about their cycle. I mostly just went by submission and complete date, making the assumption that people who submitted Sept-Nov and heard from Harvard in March/April were held. I'm sure I missed a few candidates who should have been included in this group, though.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:05 pm

from 11-12 on LSN:
WL -> Accepted: 15
Held -> Accepted, not WL: 14

Considering that I'm sure a minority of total applicants use LSN, I would consider this in a positive light.

If only we could somehow figure out the % of total applicants that use LSN.

poultry

Postby poultry » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:31 pm

I have no idea about LSN. But based on the reported and actual holds on TLS, I have a bold guess that the ratio is roughly 10:1 for TLS.

Doorkeeper wrote:from 11-12 on LSN:

Considering that I'm sure a minority of total applicants use LSN, I would consider this in a positive light.

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:18 pm

poultry wrote:I have no idea about LSN. But based on the reported and actual holds on TLS, I have a bold guess that the ratio is roughly 10:1 for TLS.

Class of 2014

Number of Applications: 6,364
Number of Admission Offers: 842
Percentage Offered Admission: 13%
Total Enrollment: 559

I count 619 applicants on last year's LSN, so last year we had 9.73% of the applicants represented on LSN.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:26 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
poultry wrote:I have no idea about LSN. But based on the reported and actual holds on TLS, I have a bold guess that the ratio is roughly 10:1 for TLS.

Class of 2014

Number of Applications: 6,364
Number of Admission Offers: 842
Percentage Offered Admission: 13%
Total Enrollment: 559

I count 619 applicants on last year's LSN, so last year we had 9.73% of the applicants represented on LSN.

So that would project out to 100-150 holds getting in before the WL, and 100-150 applicants, some of which were held, getting in off the waitlist. Not too shabby!

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:34 pm

Wow a 13% overall admissions rate and a 20% admission rate on LSN.... I'm surprised that LSN is skewed that far towards top applicants.

Edit: Given the disproportional representation of admitted students versus applications on LSN perhaps our speculation should consider the number of overall admits versus the number of acceptances currently listed on LSN rather than just the number of apps? If someone's already gone down that path sorry, I must've missed it. :)

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:53 pm

jetissent wrote:Wow a 13% overall admissions rate and a 20% admission rate on LSN.... I'm surprised that LSN is skewed that far towards top applicants.

This makes sense to me because a) LSN applicants are more likely to be informed about the process (and therefore have prepped/retaken and have high LSATs) and b) it's more fun to brag about your acceptances than post your rejection dates.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Nelson wrote:
jetissent wrote:Wow a 13% overall admissions rate and a 20% admission rate on LSN.... I'm surprised that LSN is skewed that far towards top applicants.

This makes sense to me because a) LSN applicants are more likely to be informed about the process (and therefore have prepped/retaken and have high LSATs) and b) it's more fun to brag about your acceptances than post your rejection dates.

Also, I suspect:

c) Low-numbered LSN & TLS users are less likely to apply to Harvard than low-numbered non-users.

I don't know how many threads I've come across here where someone new to TLS seems to think he or she has a reasonable chance at getting accepted to a good school, despite having awful numbers, because he or she is a special snowflake ("I have a 2.8 GPA, but I played NCAA Division III Frisbee, was the President of my Frat, and my uncle went to the school twenty years ago").

I'm betting that once these people spend time on LSN & TLS, a lot of them take Harvard off the list.

planeride

Postby planeride » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:14 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Also, I suspect:

c) Low-numbered LSN & TLS users are less likely to apply to Harvard than low-numbered non-users.

I don't know how many threads I've come across here where someone new to TLS seems to think he or she has a reasonable chance at getting accepted to a good school, despite having awful numbers, because he or she is a special snowflake ("I have a 2.8 GPA, but I played NCAA Division III Frisbee, was the President of my Frat, and my uncle went to the school twenty years ago").

I'm betting that once these people spend time on LSN & TLS, a lot of them take Harvard off the list.

To be fair, Division III Frisbee is highly competitive.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Any of you look at the HELD @ Harvard group from last cycle?

If last year was any indication of what this year is, it looks like I'm on board of a plane that is headed for a crash landing.

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:15 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:Any of you look at the HELD @ Harvard group from last cycle?

If last year was any indication of what this year is, it looks like I'm on board of a plane that is headed for a crash landing.

bankin on the drop in lsat takers bra

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:25 pm

seanPtheB wrote:

And the new dean. I doubt the hold thread from last year will be predictive of this year.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Nelson wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:

And the new dean. I doubt the hold thread from last year will be predictive of this year.

Thank you for the ease of mind gentlemen. Best of luck!

Dino_Spumoni

Postby Dino_Spumoni » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:39 pm

With all this speculation about LSN numbers and extrapolating data for use in the whole population etc. I'm surprised more of you aren't ditching the law school route and just going for a career in stats!

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:12 am

Tried really hard to ignore this thread, but I broke down and read the last 10 or so pages. I was a mid-november submit and was held in early february, hopefully we will start to see some movement soon. good luck everyone.

boosk

Postby boosk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 pm

maxpower430 wrote:Tried really hard to ignore this thread, but I broke down and read the last 10 or so pages. I was a mid-november submit and was held in early february, hopefully we will start to see some movement soon. good luck everyone.

WELCOME TO THE THUNDERDOME!

xwing_redleader

Postby xwing_redleader » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:27 pm

joining the club. 8)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”