HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
planeride
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby planeride » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Elendil wrote:
EMZE wrote:
Not attempting to be secretive, but this was told to me in confidence and I will respect that. But anyway I spoke to one of the rare few people that was actually informed on the process, and they said H does have a numbers bar (I don't think URMs fall under the same one). Applicants that the adcomm is interested in who aren't initally accepted, with rare rare exception, must be above that bar.

If you are held, you are above it. Again, please don't ask me to post or PM data specifically.


Alright, I'll take your word for it.


Doesn't every school behave like this? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I'm not sure what the alternative would be.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby EMZE » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Killingly wrote:
Elendil wrote:
EMZE wrote:
Not attempting to be secretive, but this was told to me in confidence and I will respect that. But anyway I spoke to one of the rare few people that was actually informed on the process, and they said H does have a numbers bar (I don't think URMs fall under the same one). Applicants that the adcomm is interested in who aren't initally accepted, with rare rare exception, must be above that bar.

If you are held, you are above it. Again, please don't ask me to post or PM data specifically.


Alright, I'll take your word for it.


That must be a low-ass bar, I was held and my GPA is pretty low.


I'll spare you the trouble of reading through my posts and assure you that my GPA is lower than yours. LSAT too btw. But let's not forget, I'm not exactly holding an acceptance letter either.

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Killingly » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:30 pm

EMZE wrote:
Killingly wrote:
Elendil wrote:
EMZE wrote:
Not attempting to be secretive, but this was told to me in confidence and I will respect that. But anyway I spoke to one of the rare few people that was actually informed on the process, and they said H does have a numbers bar (I don't think URMs fall under the same one). Applicants that the adcomm is interested in who aren't initally accepted, with rare rare exception, must be above that bar.

If you are held, you are above it. Again, please don't ask me to post or PM data specifically.


Alright, I'll take your word for it.


That must be a low-ass bar, I was held and my GPA is pretty low.


I'll spare you the trouble of reading through my posts and assure you that my GPA is lower than yours. LSAT too btw. But let's not forget, I'm not exactly holding an acceptance letter either.


Yeah, but don't you have crazy softs (disregard this if I've got you mixed up with someone else)? Honestly, who really knows what they're doing over there.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby EMZE » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Well, yes, I am applying on my softs, but I just mean you don't bottom out the low range of the GPA's. As far as I can tell, thats me. Probably for LSAT scores too.

masked kavana
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby masked kavana » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:42 pm

EMZE wrote:Well, yes, I am applying on my softs, but I just mean you don't bottom out the low range of the GPA's. As far as I can tell, thats me. Probably for LSAT scores too.



Sorry EMZE I've got you beat on GPA but same LSAT. I applied on my softs as well but they haven't helped anywhere else... I really hope Harvard can look past my numbers...

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Mr. Somebody » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:45 pm

The GPA/LSAT bar could just be the minimum that they accept, which is still very low even for HYS. Wouldn't read much into it.

User avatar
seahawk32
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby seahawk32 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:48 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:think KB made the call that she's not going to let in any more students because the next Dean should have that right.


I still believe this is the most reasonable explanation for the large amount of holds.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby EMZE » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:53 pm

masked kavana wrote:
EMZE wrote:Well, yes, I am applying on my softs, but I just mean you don't bottom out the low range of the GPA's. As far as I can tell, thats me. Probably for LSAT scores too.



Sorry EMZE I've got you beat on GPA but same LSAT. I applied on my softs as well but they haven't helped anywhere else... I really hope Harvard can look past my numbers...


After post stalking you for stats, you would certainly be an abberation to the aforementioned bar if you were not a URM.. I saw non-URM latino, but depending on your background, you might be being treated as URM, the bar for which I don't quite know

masked kavana
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby masked kavana » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:00 pm

EMZE wrote:
masked kavana wrote:
EMZE wrote:Well, yes, I am applying on my softs, but I just mean you don't bottom out the low range of the GPA's. As far as I can tell, thats me. Probably for LSAT scores too.



An aberration lol :)

If you wouldn't mind would you PM your softs? (sounds awful sorry.. But better than sharing your softs...)


Sorry EMZE I've got you beat on GPA but same LSAT. I applied on my softs as well but they haven't helped anywhere else... I really hope Harvard can look past my numbers...


After post stalking you for stats, you would certainly be an abberation to the aforementioned bar if you were not a URM.. I saw non-URM latino, but depending on your background, you might be being treated as URM, the bar for which I don't quite know


An aberration lol. :)

If you wouldn't mind would you PM your softs? (sounds awful sorry.. But better than would you mind sharing your softs...)

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby EMZE » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:41 pm

seahawk32 wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:think KB made the call that she's not going to let in any more students because the next Dean should have that right.


I still believe this is the most reasonable explanation for the large amount of holds.


I agree (and this discussion is completely independant of the concurrent numbers bar debate thing.)

Short of asking explicitly, determining this would be difficult. Maybe comparing the date of application submission for the last rejected applicant prior to the transition with the date of KB stepping down?

What sticks out is the fact that held applicants from the first wave range very widely in submission dates. It's not like those of us with lower numbers fit in the category of being completed before KBs departure. If those were not holds, what were they?

Or, are those perhaps more competitive holds than the later dated ones from that first huge hold wave?

The answer is in the dates, I'm certain of it.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:53 pm

EMZE wrote:
seahawk32 wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:think KB made the call that she's not going to let in any more students because the next Dean should have that right.


I still believe this is the most reasonable explanation for the large amount of holds.


I agree (and this discussion is completely independant of the concurrent numbers bar debate thing.)

Short of asking explicitly, determining this would be difficult. Maybe comparing the date of application submission for the last rejected applicant prior to the transition with the date of KB stepping down?

What sticks out is the fact that held applicants from the first wave range very widely in submission dates. It's not like those of us with lower numbers fit in the category of being completed before KBs departure. If those were not holds, what were they?

Or, are those perhaps more competitive holds than the later dated ones from that first huge hold wave?

The answer is in the dates, I'm certain of it.


Well maybe the holds before a certain date would have been held regardless of the dean switch (e.g. in this case they are "classic holds"). Then after some point, many of the holds were to allow JS to make the decisions (although it is possible that within this group there are a number of people who would have also fell in the "classic hold" category had the switch not occurred).

EvelynS
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby EvelynS » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Killingly wrote:
Elendil wrote:
EMZE wrote:
Not attempting to be secretive, but this was told to me in confidence and I will respect that. But anyway I spoke to one of the rare few people that was actually informed on the process, and they said H does have a numbers bar (I don't think URMs fall under the same one). Applicants that the adcomm is interested in who aren't initally accepted, with rare rare exception, must be above that bar.

If you are held, you are above it. Again, please don't ask me to post or PM data specifically.


Alright, I'll take your word for it.


That must be a low-ass bar, I was held and my GPA is pretty low.


I would agree. My LSAT #s are far from HLS standard (especially, for non-URM). I think this all "on hold" process is a transition period from KB to JS, although I am sure that there are plenty of high numbers in this "on hold" pool. I still hope for the best :lol:

User avatar
crooked
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby crooked » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:19 am

Elendil wrote:Just want to insert an overly optimistic prediction that tomorrow will be filled with JS2's and a few JS1's for those of us held in limbo... :wink:


So, uh ... Bueller?

User avatar
AGooner11
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby AGooner11 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:04 am

I'd like a fellow holdee's opinion. I'm currently writing my Harvard LOCI with the intention to submit it sometime in the coming week. The problem is that I'm currently abroad and won't be back Stateside until June. As I see it, my options are to email Harvard my LOCI (which I'm told risks them not bothering to print and read it at all) or to have a family member send it by proxy without my signature. I'm considering the latter option, but that's seemingly against H's wishes:

All correspondence to our office should include your LSAC registration number and be signed by you.


I realize that a Harvard LOCI probably won't do much to alter their decision, but it's the only chance I have with my LSAT. Thoughts?

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby sharktankdean » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:58 pm

AGooner11 wrote:I'd like a fellow holdee's opinion. I'm currently writing my Harvard LOCI with the intention to submit it sometime in the coming week. The problem is that I'm currently abroad and won't be back Stateside until June. As I see it, my options are to email Harvard my LOCI (which I'm told risks them not bothering to print and read it at all) or to have a family member send it by proxy without my signature. I'm considering the latter option, but that's seemingly against H's wishes:

All correspondence to our office should include your LSAC registration number and be signed by you.


I realize that a Harvard LOCI probably won't do much to alter their decision, but it's the only chance I have with my LSAT. Thoughts?


Can you send it by Fedex/UPS? Because that seems to be the only way to solve both problems. And depending on where u are and what method you send it by..it could get to them within a week. I honestly think that if you are held and you have a helpful LOCI you should send it ASAP because i believe that J.S. has to be rereading (or reading) the held applicants now especially since there is a large amount. There is no way she is just doing the Dec-Jan group only and if we are guessing what the held group will start hearing back in March then a LOCI should be in the mail now to account for delivery , processing and evaluation.

User avatar
AGooner11
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby AGooner11 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:03 am

sharktankdean wrote:
AGooner11 wrote:I'd like a fellow holdee's opinion. I'm currently writing my Harvard LOCI with the intention to submit it sometime in the coming week. The problem is that I'm currently abroad and won't be back Stateside until June. As I see it, my options are to email Harvard my LOCI (which I'm told risks them not bothering to print and read it at all) or to have a family member send it by proxy without my signature. I'm considering the latter option, but that's seemingly against H's wishes:

All correspondence to our office should include your LSAC registration number and be signed by you.


I realize that a Harvard LOCI probably won't do much to alter their decision, but it's the only chance I have with my LSAT. Thoughts?


Can you send it by Fedex/UPS?


Unfortunately they're not an option from my location. I might be able to send it by local mail services, but I'm not convinced the letter would actually get to Cambridge. I've heard mixed reviews, but a postcard I sent arrived in 12 days so who knows. I'll look into it since that might be my only option that follows H's guidelines. Thanks.

planeride
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby planeride » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:10 am

AGooner11 wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:
AGooner11 wrote:I'd like a fellow holdee's opinion. I'm currently writing my Harvard LOCI with the intention to submit it sometime in the coming week. The problem is that I'm currently abroad and won't be back Stateside until June. As I see it, my options are to email Harvard my LOCI (which I'm told risks them not bothering to print and read it at all) or to have a family member send it by proxy without my signature. I'm considering the latter option, but that's seemingly against H's wishes:

All correspondence to our office should include your LSAC registration number and be signed by you.


I realize that a Harvard LOCI probably won't do much to alter their decision, but it's the only chance I have with my LSAT. Thoughts?


Can you send it by Fedex/UPS?


Unfortunately they're not an option from my location. I might be able to send it by local mail services, but I'm not convinced the letter would actually get to Cambridge. I've heard mixed reviews, but a postcard I sent arrived in 12 days so who knows. I'll look into it since that might be my only option that follows H's guidelines. Thanks.


Call/email them and ask? I'm sure they've dealt with this problem before.

I'd be surprised if they wouldn't let you just email it after you explain your situation.

User avatar
PopTorts13
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby PopTorts13 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Does anyone else's status checker say under review with the date that they received their hold notification?

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby boosk » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:15 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:Does anyone else's status checker say under review with the date that they received their hold notification?


yup (01/09)

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:Does anyone else's status checker say under review with the date that they received their hold notification?

Did this come up on status checker as a change, or has it always been that way?

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Mine is same, but my status checker isn't flagging it as a change.

I thought the header used to say something like "your application has been held," while now it says "your application to Harvard Law School is complete." My app hasn't flagged any changes though, so maybe I'm just going crazy.

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Killingly » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:59 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:Does anyone else's status checker say under review with the date that they received their hold notification?


Mine does. 1/13.

User avatar
PopTorts13
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby PopTorts13 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:58 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:Does anyone else's status checker say under review with the date that they received their hold notification?

Did this come up on status checker as a change, or has it always been that way?

I was complete on the 22nd of December, Held on the 10th and just checked my status today out of curiosity and it now says, "Application Under Review" with "Current Status Date: 2/10/2012". I wasn't sure if this was the norm for the majority of us. Hope this helps.

User avatar
yepyepyep
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby yepyepyep » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Hey all question: Are you all submitting your FAFSA/Need Access to Harvard/Stanford if you haven't heard from them yet? Is that common practice, or are we supposed to hold off? I think the Harvard webpage said you can wait on Need Access (but you can also submit it, no problem), but it didn't say anything about FAFSA. Thoughts?

User avatar
curiouscat
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby curiouscat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:38 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:Does anyone else's status checker say under review with the date that they received their hold notification?

Did this come up on status checker as a change, or has it always been that way?

I was complete on the 22nd of December, Held on the 10th and just checked my status today out of curiosity and it now says, "Application Under Review" with "Current Status Date: 2/10/2012". I wasn't sure if this was the norm for the majority of us. Hope this helps.


This seems to be the norm - your status date updates once you get held, but the status itself ("application under review") stays the same.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”