HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Killingly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 am

lsatcrazy wrote:Hey, did you guys just sign your names on the bottom of the LOCI, or do it on a separate cover page or something?


I signed my name at the bottom of the LOCI, like a normal letter.

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:30 am

Fyi, I sent a LOCI last year, had no discernible effect, still got waitlisted after a hold like a boss. (I withdrew after WL)

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Killingly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:56 am

Nulli Secundus wrote:Fyi, I sent a LOCI last year, had no discernible effect, still got waitlisted after a hold like a boss. (I withdrew after WL)


Well aware. But I had nothing to lose by sending one, anyway.

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby boosk » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:49 am

What kind of movement (if any) are we expecting today?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Nelson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:55 am

I'm surprised how quiet it's been lately, but maybe KB is sensitive about being upstaged by VCEs.

chucklesmcgee
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby chucklesmcgee » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:27 am

boosk wrote:What kind of movement (if any) are we expecting today?


I think 0 for helds. If I were Harvard and held people on Jan 13th after months of review because I couldn't make a decision, I'd at least wait until the February 1st deadline when all the applications for this cycle had come in, take a look at those and from there make a decision on which held applicants were dings or KB1s. If the applicant pool is much smaller this year (~17% drop from an already record low year), Harvard could have some serious issues maintaining their yield, selectivity and medians (especially LSAT) and needs to have complete information to make the best decisions. My thought is that we've been held to see if anyone better comes along and they'll start moving on us when they know whether or not that's happened. Given the lower application numbers overall, slower decisions and uncharacteristically large wait-listing of other schools I'm optimistic that we'll fare better than helds in years. I think we'll probably get some movement by the 3rd.

User avatar
MobyDick
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby MobyDick » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:29 am

chucklesmcgee wrote:
boosk wrote:What kind of movement (if any) are we expecting today?


I think 0 for helds. If I were Harvard and held people on Jan 13th after months of review because I couldn't make a decision, I'd at least wait until the February 1st deadline when all the applications for this cycle had come in, take a look at those and from there make a decision on which held applicants were dings or KB1s. If the applicant pool is much smaller this year (~17% drop from an already record low year), Harvard could have some serious issues maintaining their yield, selectivity and medians (especially LSAT) and needs to have complete information to make the best decisions. My thought is that we've been held to see if anyone better comes along and they'll start moving on us when they know whether or not that's happened. Given the lower application numbers overall, slower decisions and uncharacteristically large wait-listing of other schools I'm optimistic that we'll fare better than helds in years. I think we'll probably get some movement by the 3rd.


Boy, I hope you're right.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby EMZE » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:15 pm

boosk wrote:What kind of movement (if any) are we expecting today?


Bowel. Thats it.

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby boosk » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:10 pm

EMZE wrote:
boosk wrote:What kind of movement (if any) are we expecting today?


Bowel. Thats it.


between this and all the talk of vomit recently, TLS has really become a nasty place lately.

masked kavana
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby masked kavana » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi all I'm extremely excited to be joining in the fun here!! Good luck to everyone :)

chucklesmcgee
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby chucklesmcgee » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:19 pm

masked kavana wrote:Hi all I'm extremely excited to be joining in the fun here!! Good luck to everyone :)


This is sort of a blurry-grey dimension of limbo with fog so thick you can't see more than five feet. And not the dancing under a pole limbo. No fun allowed.

User avatar
Genki
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Genki » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Sorry I'm late for the party.
My invitation got delayed in the mail by a couple of weeks.

User avatar
rotaxkarter
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:24 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby rotaxkarter » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:31 pm

chucklesmcgee wrote:
masked kavana wrote:Hi all I'm extremely excited to be joining in the fun here!! Good luck to everyone :)


This is sort of a blurry-grey dimension of limbo with fog so thick you can't see more than five feet. And not the dancing under a pole limbo. No fun allowed.


+1 There's been no movement for about 3 weeks...no fun in here...

pineappledazzler
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby pineappledazzler » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:01 pm

I know the hold e-mail said we could hear back at any point, but it also said they now don't have to render a decision until after deadlines to deposit at other schools have passed - does anyone know if H generally tells holds they're in/WL/rejected by April, or do they actually keep people hanging on past May?
(if it makes a difference, I'm a K-JD like a lot of other holds, and I won't have much new to send in other than an updated transcript, which won't really change my GPA or rank at all!)

chucklesmcgee
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby chucklesmcgee » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:00 pm

pineappledazzler wrote:I know the hold e-mail said we could hear back at any point, but it also said they now don't have to render a decision until after deadlines to deposit at other schools have passed - does anyone know if H generally tells holds they're in/WL/rejected by April, or do they actually keep people hanging on past May?
(if it makes a difference, I'm a K-JD like a lot of other holds, and I won't have much new to send in other than an updated transcript, which won't really change my GPA or rank at all!)



I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine Harvard would make updates on the bulk of us after reviewing all the applications for this cycle after the February 1st deadline.

If I were Harvard I would ding unheld recently applied applicants who are autorejects, schedule KB1s for recently applied autoadmit applicants, then take a look at the current admission offers made/accepted and projected class medians and the remaining pool and helds, in that order. From there I'd probably ding the weakest helds if I'm confident I'll get enough acceptances from the remaining pool and schedule interviews with the strongest helds/recently applied such that I think we'll fill enough of our class to have pretty firmly set 25-75th numbers. I don't know if waitlisting is more common with those getting KB1s or not, but I'd probably waitlist the rest and tap them when admissions offers are withdrawn. I think we'll all not be held by the end of February.


**edit: Looking through last year's holds, it seems a lot of people continued to join the hold pile even post deadline period, even as late as early April. A bunch of dings came around April 12-13, then everyone else was thrown onto the waitlist on the April 21st. A bunch of people on the waitlist got JR1 (second interviews?) around May 3rd-4th. Then acceptances for WL came out May 9th. I guess I could drudge through pages and pages of old threads but I think we'll be waiting for a while if this cycle is like last year.

masked kavana
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby masked kavana » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Would anyone have time to proofread an LOCI? I'd be happy to return the favor. Thanks!!

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Joining in on the fun, got my email last week.

User avatar
jwalterweatherman
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby jwalterweatherman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:27 am

Just sent off my LOCI and updated my LSAC transcript. I figure it can't hurt at this point.

Unless they DON'T like the nude photograph and chocolates I attached?

User avatar
outsidethescope
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby outsidethescope » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:29 am

jwalterweatherman wrote:Just sent off my LOCI and updated my LSAC transcript. I figure it can't hurt at this point.

Unless they DON'T like the nude photograph and chocolates I attached?



Pics or it didn't happen.

User avatar
jwalterweatherman
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby jwalterweatherman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 am

outsidethescope wrote:
jwalterweatherman wrote:Just sent off my LOCI and updated my LSAC transcript. I figure it can't hurt at this point.

Unless they DON'T like the nude photograph and chocolates I attached?



Pics or it didn't happen.


This was the "Before" photo: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2IINrA3SLw4/T ... nklage.jpg

That's really all I can show, I don't want to get kicked off.

planeride
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby planeride » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:11 am

To anyone who has scoured previous years' threads --

Do we know (or have a good guess) when the rejections/WLs are likely to come for us in the held pile?

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby cogitoergosum » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:18 am

jwalterweatherman wrote:
outsidethescope wrote:
jwalterweatherman wrote:Just sent off my LOCI and updated my LSAC transcript. I figure it can't hurt at this point.

Unless they DON'T like the nude photograph and chocolates I attached?



Pics or it didn't happen.


This was the "Before" photo: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2IINrA3SLw4/T ... nklage.jpg

That's really all I can show, I don't want to get kicked off.

You should be good... If they don't like it, then that's just little people discrimination, and that really pisses me off...

seanPtheB
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby seanPtheB » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:38 am

planeride wrote:To anyone who has scoured previous years' threads --

Do we know (or have a good guess) when the rejections/WLs are likely to come for us in the held pile?


Look a few posts up at ChucklesMcgee's post

planeride
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby planeride » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:56 am

seanPtheB wrote:
planeride wrote:To anyone who has scoured previous years' threads --

Do we know (or have a good guess) when the rejections/WLs are likely to come for us in the held pile?


Look a few posts up at ChucklesMcgee's post


Thanks...not sure how I missed that!

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby EMZE » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:33 pm

more movement plz




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., azaleafire, carlos_danger, Christinabruin, Houzy, Imago Loop, jstans, Pugnax and 18 guests