HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sharktankdean

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Postby sharktankdean » Thu May 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Istayedhere wrote:
The status checker explicitly says not to, though.

E-mail and ask politely?

i don't think u should email them. I think to some degree you want to remain anonymous. if you really have to contact them i think you should call..if she says they are still reviewing files then that's it..because that is all she is technically allowed to tell you. It just means you will have to wait some more. If she says all decisions have gone out then this could give you cause to worry and you can provide further personal information.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Thu May 03, 2012 3:20 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
Istayedhere wrote:

E-mail and ask politely?

i don't think u should email them. I think to some degree you want to remain anonymous. if you really have to contact them i think you should call..if she says they are still reviewing files then that's it..because that is all she is technically allowed to tell you. It just means you will have to wait some more. If she says all decisions have gone out then this could give you cause to worry and you can provide further personal information.

Credited. You don't have to disclose your identity unless they offer to check on the status of your specific file, which they presumably wouldn't.

Lawlexrotica69

Postby Lawlexrotica69 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:20 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
GoodFood wrote:
Lawlexrotica69 wrote:Hey guys, I'm a rising 3L at HLS and I wish you all the best! :)

However, I would just like to say that based on what I've seen from past cycles, if you don't get a WL when WLs start coming out that's actually pretty bad news. It means that you're due for a ding. I'm sorry to say. Look at this TLS graph: http://www.top-law-schools.com/images/d ... arvard.jpg

Obviously some of the early yellow is used to indicate holds, but essentially, as soon as WLs come out, the only ones that still have a chance of admission, are those actually on the WL. Meaning, there will be no more straight KB1s. So, if you don't have a WL, you should be praying for one, otherwise, you're probably getting dinged. I just thought I'd put this out there to help you guys.

So why haven't we gotten dinged yet? Presumably, they've known the fate of our applications for quite awhile now, yet they've chosen to wait more than two days after their own deposit deadline to notify us...

And why would they wait to give you interviews, if that's what's happening?

Also, I think today they might be conducting the last interviews - like, Geneva and the potential non-TLS ones.

Why? I have no clue why. No admissions office at any school is expediting the distribution of rejections; it's not like they're waiting on a decision from you or anything. But from the past two cycles of admissions it goes = WLs, then rejections, then WL-KB1/KB2s, then WL-Rejects. Just look through the past held and WL threads on TLS. Skepticism is healthy but I really have no incentive to misinform anyone, here.

Good luck guys! :)

edits

Postby edits » Thu May 03, 2012 3:21 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
Istayedhere wrote:

E-mail and ask politely?

Agreed. I wouldn't pay too close attention to what the status checker says at this point (given, as mentioned, that it's May 3rd)

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Thu May 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Lawlexrotica69 wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:
GoodFood wrote:
Lawlexrotica69 wrote:Hey guys, I'm a rising 3L at HLS and I wish you all the best! :)

However, I would just like to say that based on what I've seen from past cycles, if you don't get a WL when WLs start coming out that's actually pretty bad news. It means that you're due for a ding. I'm sorry to say. Look at this TLS graph: http://www.top-law-schools.com/images/d ... arvard.jpg

Obviously some of the early yellow is used to indicate holds, but essentially, as soon as WLs come out, the only ones that still have a chance of admission, are those actually on the WL. Meaning, there will be no more straight KB1s. So, if you don't have a WL, you should be praying for one, otherwise, you're probably getting dinged. I just thought I'd put this out there to help you guys.

So why haven't we gotten dinged yet? Presumably, they've known the fate of our applications for quite awhile now, yet they've chosen to wait more than two days after their own deposit deadline to notify us...

And why would they wait to give you interviews, if that's what's happening?

Also, I think today they might be conducting the last interviews - like, Geneva and the potential non-TLS ones.

Why? I have no clue why. No admissions office at any school is expediting the distribution of rejections; it's not like they're waiting on a decision from you or anything. But from the past two cycles of admissions it goes = WLs, then rejections, then WL-KB1/KB2s, then WL-Rejects. Just look through the past held and WL threads on TLS. Skepticism is healthy but I really have no incentive to misinform anyone, here.

Good luck guys! :)

Since you have been so helpful...don't u wanna walk into the admission office and tell them to hurry up..lol jk...but thanks for the info..im still hoping that some people get WL though..we need more good people on our side..

But i was looking thru lsn and it looked like there was a cycle either last yr or the year before where there were no rejections after the WL began.

Lawlexrotica69

Postby Lawlexrotica69 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:37 pm

sharktankdean wrote:But i was looking thru lsn and it looked like there was a cycle either last yr or the year before where there were no rejections after the WL began.

Such a thing certainly did not happen on TLS. In both held threads people were held-rejected. Basically, not all those held are automatically WLed. You will see rejections of those who were previously held.

Please see:
Held by Harvard Club 2010 (See the towards the end) - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103725
Held at Harvard Law 2011 - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=143852&start=725#p4291175

Hope this helps!

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Thu May 03, 2012 3:45 pm

Lawlexrotica69 wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:But i was looking thru lsn and it looked like there was a cycle either last yr or the year before where there were no rejections after the WL began.

Such a thing certainly did not happen on TLS. In both held threads people were held-rejected. Basically, not all those held are automatically WLed. You will see rejections of those who were previously held.

Please see:
Held by Harvard Club 2010 (See the towards the end) - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103725

Hope this helps!

i was talking about lsn..but thanks for the info

holy crap...someone in the 2010 group got rejected after a js1...i did not think that was possible.

i edited this because the earlier post was a typo...the info was not crap

Lawlexrotica69

Postby Lawlexrotica69 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:54 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
Lawlexrotica69 wrote:

Please see:

Hope this helps!

LOL. I know you were talking about lsn but I provided TLS threads to show that people certainly got rejected after being held in both years. Whether the WLs come out before or after is kinda whatever. Again, not all holds are WLed; some of you will be held-rejected.

adam1

Postby adam1 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Lawlexrotica69 wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:
Lawlexrotica69 wrote:

Please see:

Hope this helps!

LOL. I know you were talking about lsn but I provided TLS threads to show that people certainly got rejected after being held in both years. Whether the WLs come out before or after is kinda whatever. Again, not all holds are WLed; some of you will be held-rejected.

You misunderstood his point though. He said after WLs begin no one is rejected. He did not say that no one who is held is also rejected.

Lawlexrotica69

Postby Lawlexrotica69 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:11 pm

adam1 wrote:
You misunderstood his point though. He said after WLs begin no one is rejected. He did not say that no one who is held is also rejected.

I got it but I implied that his point was moot. Because it doesn't matter whether rejections come out before or after WLs go out. Some holds will be rejected. Does it really matter if some holds get rejected first and then the rest get WLed or some holds get WLed first and then the rest get rejected? I only really engaged in this dialogue because some people were skeptical of whether rejections were coming instead of KB1s to the remaining holds. The order of Hold-WL or Hold-Reject is kinda whatever. Both will happen, regardless.

adam1

Postby adam1 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Lawlexrotica69 wrote:
adam1 wrote:

I got it but I implied that his point was moot. Because it doesn't matter whether rejections come out before or after WLs go out. Some holds will be rejected. Does it really matter if some holds get rejected first and then the rest get WLed or some holds get WLed first and then the rest get rejected? I only really engaged in this dialogue because some people were skeptical of whether rejections were coming instead of KB1s to the remaining holds. The order of Hold-WL or Hold-Reject is kinda whatever. Both will happen, regardless.

If you haven't heard, it would certainly matter if WLs coming out historically meant that no more rejections were to follow.

Lawlexrotica69

Postby Lawlexrotica69 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:28 pm

adam1 wrote:
Lawlexrotica69 wrote:
adam1 wrote:

If you haven't heard, it would certainly matter if WLs coming out historically meant that no more rejections were to follow.

I don't understand what you're arguing. It would matter if that were the case. But that is not the case; the Harvard Hold 2010 thread clearly illustrates that such an assumption is incorrect for rejections certainly came out after WLs went out. So it's not the case that WLs coming out historically meant that no more rejections were to follow. So....?

adam1

Postby adam1 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Lawlexrotica69 wrote:
adam1 wrote:
Lawlexrotica69 wrote:
adam1 wrote:

I don't understand what you're arguing. It would matter if that were the case. But that is not the case; the Harvard Hold 2010 thread clearly illustrates that such an assumption is incorrect for rejections certainly came out after WLs went out. So it's not the case that WLs coming out historically meant that no more rejections were to follow. So....?

I honestly believe that you're trying to be helpful.

Lawlexrotica69

Postby Lawlexrotica69 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:35 pm

adam1 wrote:I honestly believe that you're trying to be helpful.

Um...ok, lol :)

If I wasn't helpful, I apologize. But if I was helpful in anyway, you're very welcome. Again, good luck to all those still waiting!

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Thu May 03, 2012 4:36 pm

so Lawlexrotica69 i get you point, you are saying that we should not expect any more pre-WL kb1s, adam1 is just trying to gauge if there would be a round of rejections coming up, it matters because there is a big difference btw a rejection and a WL and the 2011 thread didn't have rejections after the WL started. People are just trying to see if they should expect more WL at this point or WL and rejections.

I BLAME HARVARD FOR THIS CONFUSION

Lawlexrotica69

Postby Lawlexrotica69 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:44 pm

sharktankdean wrote:so Lawlexrotica69 i get you point, you are saying that we should not expect any more pre-WL kb1s, adam1 is just trying to gauge if there would be a round of rejections coming up, it matters because there is a big difference btw a rejection and a WL and the 2011 thread didn't have rejections after the WL started. People are just trying to see if they should expect more WL at this point or WL and rejections.

Well, I don't want to read through the entire thread, but it doesn't seem too hard to figure out. We know both Hold-WLs and Hold-dings are coming, right? From what I can see no Hold-dings have gone out but we know that Hold-WLs have been and are continuing to be handed out. So that only leaves hold-dings, right? The only thing we don't know is how long Harvard will continue to hand out WLs. If we knew that then it would be much easier. Am I missing something? lol...my brain is fried after four finals in a week! So I apologize for any missteps in logic. Basically, all holds should hope for a WL at this point.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Thu May 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Lawlexrotica69 wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:so Lawlexrotica69 i get you point, you are saying that we should not expect any more pre-WL kb1s, adam1 is just trying to gauge if there would be a round of rejections coming up, it matters because there is a big difference btw a rejection and a WL and the 2011 thread didn't have rejections after the WL started. People are just trying to see if they should expect more WL at this point or WL and rejections.

Well, I don't want to read through the entire thread, but it doesn't seem too hard to figure out. We know both Hold-WLs and Hold-dings are coming, right? From what I can see no Hold-dings have gone out but we know that Hold-WLs have been and are continuing to be handed out. So that only leaves hold-dings, right? The only thing we don't know is how long Harvard will continue to hand out WLs. If we knew that then it would be much easier. Am I missing something? lol...my brain is fried after four finals in a week! So I apologize for any missteps in logic. Basically, all holds should hope for a WL at this point.

some hold dings have gone out

Lawlexrotica69

Postby Lawlexrotica69 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:52 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
Lawlexrotica69 wrote:

Well there you go!

Yes, you should blame Harvard for the confusion, LOL. So yeah, pray for a WL.

masked kavana

Postby masked kavana » Thu May 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Lawlexrotica69 wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:
Lawlexrotica69 wrote:

Well there you go!

Yes, you should blame Harvard for the confusion, LOL. So yeah, pray for a WL.

On a related note do you have any idea how many people were accepted off the wait list in your class? I know this cycle is all wacky but any estimate is good. Thanks!

Lawlexrotica69

Postby Lawlexrotica69 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:14 pm

masked kavana wrote:On a related note do you have any idea how many people were accepted off the wait list in your class? I know this cycle is all wacky but any estimate is good. Thanks!

No clue, I'm afraid. All I know is that the WL is pretty large, so I imagine the proportion of WL-Admits to be very low. Also, they admit people all the way into August so please don't give up hope until you get the final ding. Oh and URM WL-Admits tend to come out in batches, but I think URM batches are pretty consistent throughout the cycle.

Harvard says they don't give a particular order to their WLs, but I dk. FWIW, quite a few people who got WLed towards the end were among the first to receive a WL-JR1 in my cycle.

principaltrumpet

Postby principaltrumpet » Fri May 04, 2012 11:17 am

Am I the only one still waiting for a response? Still held... :?

kleenbean88

Postby kleenbean88 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:24 pm

A friend called yesterday and was told they hope we will hear within the next few days. I called and was told it was strange I hadn't heard anything. Then she looked up my file and said it was still under review and that's all she could say.

dham1

Postby dham1 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Me too

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri May 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Maybe they're trying to pick the last of the WLs? Who knows at this point.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Fri May 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Maybe they're trying to pick the last of the WLs? Who knows at this point.

yeah i don't list is as big as it usually is..im sure there is more space...i thought they have been silent because they were dealing with deposits and trying to gauge their yield...but with so many deadline deposits (varying on when people were admitted)...i don't know how they will be able to make this estimation. I wish they disclosed the size of the WL like Yale does...at least u know how big it is...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”