HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mickeyD

Bronze

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Post by mickeyD » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:31 pm

boosk wrote:
rotaxkarter wrote:
MobyDick wrote:I thought it might be nice to gather some data about held applicants, so I made a a Google Doc:

Form: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... NU5meEE6MQ

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... kRqNU5meEE
For the newly held...
What are they doing sending holds to a 3.94/178, a 3.9/175, and a 3.97/173? This is the weirdest cycle ever (of all 1 that I've observed).

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:44 pm

mickeyD wrote:
boosk wrote:
rotaxkarter wrote:
MobyDick wrote:I thought it might be nice to gather some data about held applicants, so I made a a Google Doc:

For the newly held...
What are they doing sending holds to a 3.94/178, a 3.9/175, and a 3.97/173? This is the weirdest cycle ever (of all 1 that I've observed).
New dean = weird cycle. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

chucklesmcgee

Bronze

Post by chucklesmcgee » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:56 pm

mickeyD wrote:
If I were them and wanted to keep our yield high and acceptance rate low because we didn't have that many applications to begin with, we'd hold the kids we thought were going to go into Yale and wait for them to withdraw.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:57 pm

chucklesmcgee wrote:
mickeyD wrote:
If I were them and wanted to keep our yield high and acceptance rate low because we didn't have that many applications to begin with, we'd hold the kids we thought were going to go into Yale and wait for them to withdraw.
This makes sense... at least for those crazy high numbers.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:59 pm

chucklesmcgee wrote:
mickeyD wrote:
Haha. Harvard is not worried about people choosing Yale over them. I would guess that those are K-JDs or internationals. Both of those groups have been having tough cycles at Harvard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:04 pm

chucklesmcgee wrote:
mickeyD wrote:
I think that's a pretty risky strategy for them to be playing, especially since Yale makes a habit of NOT accepting all of the kids with crazy high numbers, or at least putting them on the WL. Also, I doubt most people accepted to Yale would immediately withdraw from a hold at Harvard, as I would guess many students making the HY decision would want to attend the ASW of both schools. Maybe this strategy could be used for holds, but extending it out past February/March might bring some risks, especially as that student accumulates significant scholarship offers and starts to visit the ASW of other schools. Harvard isn't immune from the #3-5 (aka Stanford, Chicago +Ruby, Columbia +Hamilton, etc).

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:12 am

Nelson wrote:Haha. Harvard is not worried about people choosing Yale over them. I would guess that those are K-JDs or internationals. Both of those groups have been having tough cycles at Harvard.
Yeah, I don't know about the others that were mentioned, but I have a strong sense that the 173/3.98 is an international.

thatkid

Bronze

Post by thatkid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:25 am

mickeyD wrote:
boosk wrote:
rotaxkarter wrote:

For the newly held...
I just want you to know that the inclusion of my stats in your list made me smile. If only I weren't K-JD. :|

brown822015

New

Post by brown822015 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:27 am

What does K-JD stand for?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thatkid

Bronze

Post by thatkid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:29 am

brown822015 wrote:What does K-JD stand for?
It refers to candidates going straight from undergrad to law school, rather than taking a year or two to gain work experience.

PrincetonLaw

Bronze

Post by PrincetonLaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:55 pm

new LOR going out today and sending an updated resume and letter tomorrow. don't think i really have a shot but giving it it's due diligence...

alevin

New

Post by alevin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:57 pm

PrincetonLaw wrote:new LOR going out today and sending an updated resume and letter tomorrow. don't think i really have a shot but giving it it's due diligence...
you decided to do a LOR? I ultimately decided not to due to their blog post.

PrincetonLaw

Bronze

Post by PrincetonLaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:40 pm

alevin wrote:
PrincetonLaw wrote:new LOR going out today and sending an updated resume and letter tomorrow. don't think i really have a shot but giving it it's due diligence...
blog post? haha care to share the link?

I received a promotion at work since applying and my boss was very enthusiastic about writing one so i didn't think it'd hurt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alevin

New

Post by alevin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 pm

PrincetonLaw wrote:
alevin wrote:

I received a promotion at work since applying and my boss was very enthusiastic about writing one so i didn't think it'd hurt.

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/admissions ... %E2%80%9D/
Please note that your application was complete with the letters of recommendation that you already submitted. Additional letters of recommendation, therefore, are unnecessary at this time.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:47 pm

They are currently trying to decide on the names to ding. By sending in a LoR right now, you make them see a document with your name on it, therefore when they are asked about their opinion on who to ding, there is an increased chance that they will remember your name!

alevin

New

Post by alevin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:They are currently trying to decide on the names to ding. By sending in a LoR right now, you make them see a document with your name on it, therefore when they are asked about their opinion on who to ding, there is an increased chance that they will remember your name!
haha very possible.

PrincetonLaw

Bronze

Post by PrincetonLaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 pm

alevin wrote:
PrincetonLaw wrote:
alevin wrote:

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/admissions ... %E2%80%9D/
Please note that your application was complete with the letters of recommendation that you already submitted. Additional letters of recommendation, therefore, are unnecessary at this time.
I'll agree they aren't necessary but I still feel OK about it since she can provide insight to an update reflected on my new resume or that's my justification/rationalization

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:53 pm

sent in my updated resume and BOMB loci yesterday, two weeks ago (BEFORE I saw the blog post) I sent in a LOR that I already had on file with LSAC but wasn't sure of its strength, last week I sent in updated transcripts but my registrar messed up so i sent in a "corrected copy" last friday.

all done for now... idk if i could send in anything else, even if a WL comes my way...

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Anyone who sent a LOCI with self-addressed post card gotten the post card back yet? And, if so, how long did it take from when you mailed it? It's been a full week since I sent mine, and I've been on the look-out for my post card since. I assumed they'd pop the cards back in the mail and file the LOCIs later, but perhaps they're taking longer? I live in CT, by the way.

chucklesmcgee

Bronze

Post by chucklesmcgee » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Killingly wrote:Anyone who sent a LOCI with self-addressed post card gotten the post card back yet? And, if so, how long did it take from when you mailed it? It's been a full week since I sent mine, and I've been on the look-out for my post card since. I assumed they'd pop the cards back in the mail and file the LOCIs later, but perhaps they're taking longer? I live in CT, by the way.
I think four or five mailing days. I live in PA, sent it Priority the day held decisions came out so maybe Harvard's sorting through the hundreds of LOCIs they've received.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:11 pm

chucklesmcgee wrote:
Killingly wrote:Anyone who sent a LOCI with self-addressed post card gotten the post card back yet? And, if so, how long did it take from when you mailed it? It's been a full week since I sent mine, and I've been on the look-out for my post card since. I assumed they'd pop the cards back in the mail and file the LOCIs later, but perhaps they're taking longer? I live in CT, by the way.
I think four or five mailing days. I live in PA, sent it Priority the day held decisions came out so maybe Harvard's sorting through the hundreds of LOCIs they've received.
Thanks. My postcard was a blank pre-paid one I bought from the post office. I hope whoever handles the mail didn't just assume that it couldn't be mailed because there was no physical stamp (just a thing that looks like a stamp scanned onto the card itself). I don't want to worry, but I am, haha.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Killingly wrote:
chucklesmcgee wrote:
Thanks. My postcard was a blank pre-paid one I bought from the post office. I hope whoever handles the mail didn't just assume that it couldn't be mailed because there was no physical stamp (just a thing that looks like a stamp scanned onto the card itself). I don't want to worry, but I am, haha.
I sent the exact same blank printed-stamp postcard from the Post Office on 1/11 and just got it back yesterday

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:59 pm

46nyc wrote:
Killingly wrote:
chucklesmcgee wrote:
I sent the exact same blank printed-stamp postcard from the Post Office on 1/11 and just got it back yesterday
Thank you, 46! That helps so much.

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:13 am

Killingly wrote:
Thank you, 46! That helps so much.
No problem! I had actually forgotten about it until I saw the postcard in my mailbox, it was such a long time.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:19 am

Hey, did you guys just sign your names on the bottom of the LOCI, or do it on a separate cover page or something?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”