HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FryBreadPower

Silver

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Post by FryBreadPower » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:25 pm

*cricket*

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:28 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:*cricket*
Haha, yeah this thread really died...

ralph_pootawn

Bronze

Post by ralph_pootawn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:51 pm

so has Harvard held more people this year then in years past

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:54 pm

ralph_pootawn wrote:so has Harvard held more people this year then in years past
That seems to be the common wisdom at the moment.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:04 am

amc987 wrote:
ralph_pootawn wrote:so has Harvard held more people this year then in years past
That seems to be the common wisdom at the moment.
You'd never know it from our thread...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:58 am

So...looks like we got some new Held friends today/this week.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:32 am

Hello, new friends!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:36 am

Nulli Secundus wrote:Hello, new friends!

Ooh ooh bring the fun picture back, but change it for hold time!

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:13 am

How about this one?

--ImageRemoved--

Since I am at work and have access to only a shitty upload service, here is the "subtitle" for the picture: What do you mean being held is not good? I feel great! U jelly?!
Last edited by Nulli Secundus on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:13 am

Yes, Nulli!

Fantastic!

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:09 am

So, contacted the admissions office today to ask about sending a fifth LOR that is unsigned by the recommender, since the letter comes from a former supervisor now serving overseas, and it wouldn't be an easy task to reach him since he works on the.. Darker side of things in the Army and is hard to reach. They said no problems. Now, my real question is this. 2 weeks ago I sent in an LOCI, and this weekend while going over it looking for some ideas for a different LOCI, I noticed a fairly minor typo. I said "superior offices" instead of " superior officers." I am not 100% sure that one I sent in had that error, since I made the rookie mistake of keeping too many versions around, but I am about 75% sure that the mistake is on there. My current plan is to send in the LOR as my primary reason for correspondence, and also include the LOCI alongside and explan that I simply am not positive that their copy has the mistake, the very minor typo, but to request that they replace what I had with my most recent version so I can be certain they have the right one. Rookie mistake, yeah, but all my interaction wit the admissions offce leads me to believe the adcomm people are personable, and that t the end f the day, it will probably an office assistant that handles the actual appliance updates vice the dudes making the calls.

Foolish? And fwiw, if you are reading the LOCI quickly as I am sure they do due to the sheer volume of apps, it's pretty easy to miss. I just would appreciate any input, especially if you went through something similar. Besides, wtf else do I have to do after being held everywhere.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:36 am

I am not sure of the merits of sending one LOCI to Harvard, sending two is just over the top. If you are going for the OCD stalker image though, I will not be the one to stop you, less competition the better. (5th LoR is in this category as well).

(Fyi, Harvard, my interest still continues, as in the situation haven't changed one bit since last week. Except for a new cut I inflicted on my arm, I completed the letter H now with the cuts. this one bled profusely, and exactly in Harvard crimson color, I think this shows how much I want to attend. I will keep chiseling thy holy name to my arm, until I complete Harvard Law School in its glorious entirety)

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:46 am

maybe I wasnt clear. It isnt a new LOCI, it is one in which I acknowledge an error in the very same LOCI i previously submitted, and correct it. Why I have 5 LORs is because I have 2 academic and 2 work related.Having read them all, I think the 5th addresses some of the shortcomings in the 2nd work related LOR, because it is written for a differet kind of audience then the law school adcomms

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:48 am

Nulli Secundus wrote:I am not sure of the merits of sending one LOCI to Harvard, sending two is just over the top. If you are going for the OCD stalker image though, I will not be the one to stop you, less competition the better. (5th LoR is in this category as well).

(Fyi, Harvard, my interest still continues, as in the situation haven't changed one bit since last week. Except for a new cut I inflicted on my arm, I completed the letter H now with the cuts. this one bled profusely, and exactly in Harvard crimson color, I think this shows how much I want to attend. I will keep chiseling thy holy name to my arm, until I complete Harvard Law School in its glorious entirety)
Already finished up the school crest. Gotta catch up brah!

seanPtheB

Bronze

Post by seanPtheB » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:40 am

EMZE wrote:So, contacted the admissions office today to ask about sending a fifth LOR that is unsigned by the recommender, since the letter comes from a former supervisor now serving overseas, and it wouldn't be an easy task to reach him since he works on the.. Darker side of things in the Army and is hard to reach. They said no problems. Now, my real question is this. 2 weeks ago I sent in an LOCI, and this weekend while going over it looking for some ideas for a different LOCI, I noticed a fairly minor typo. I said "superior offices" instead of " superior officers." I am not 100% sure that one I sent in had that error, since I made the rookie mistake of keeping too many versions around, but I am about 75% sure that the mistake is on there. My current plan is to send in the LOR as my primary reason for correspondence, and also include the LOCI alongside and explan that I simply am not positive that their copy has the mistake, the very minor typo, but to request that they replace what I had with my most recent version so I can be certain they have the right one. Rookie mistake, yeah, but all my interaction wit the admissions offce leads me to believe the adcomm people are personable, and that t the end f the day, it will probably an office assistant that handles the actual appliance updates vice the dudes making the calls.

Foolish? And fwiw, if you are reading the LOCI quickly as I am sure they do due to the sheer volume of apps, it's pretty easy to miss. I just would appreciate any input, especially if you went through something similar. Besides, wtf else do I have to do after being held everywhere.
I think I'd just leave it and not send the corrected one. If they read these things at all, I really would bet it's just to scan for things that actually strengthen your app, and so I doubt they'd even catch that mistake. Just my opinion though I can see arguments both ways.

larsoner

Bronze

Post by larsoner » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:35 am

seanPtheB wrote:
EMZE wrote:So, contacted the admissions office today to ask about sending a fifth LOR that is unsigned by the recommender, since the letter comes from a former supervisor now serving overseas, and it wouldn't be an easy task to reach him since he works on the.. Darker side of things in the Army and is hard to reach. They said no problems. Now, my real question is this. 2 weeks ago I sent in an LOCI, and this weekend while going over it looking for some ideas for a different LOCI, I noticed a fairly minor typo. I said "superior offices" instead of " superior officers." I am not 100% sure that one I sent in had that error, since I made the rookie mistake of keeping too many versions around, but I am about 75% sure that the mistake is on there. My current plan is to send in the LOR as my primary reason for correspondence, and also include the LOCI alongside and explan that I simply am not positive that their copy has the mistake, the very minor typo, but to request that they replace what I had with my most recent version so I can be certain they have the right one. Rookie mistake, yeah, but all my interaction wit the admissions offce leads me to believe the adcomm people are personable, and that t the end f the day, it will probably an office assistant that handles the actual appliance updates vice the dudes making the calls.

I think I'd just leave it and not send the corrected one. If they read these things at all, I really would bet it's just to scan for things that actually strengthen your app, and so I doubt they'd even catch that mistake. Just my opinion though I can see arguments both ways.
I agree. Even if they do notice it, like you said, its a small typo. I doubt it would be the deciding factor. If you send a new one in, you will call attention to the mistake, which would otherwise probably go unnoticed. Also, I doubt they will look to see what the typo was, so if you send in a corrected LOCI, you may make it seem like it was a larger error, one that you desperately needed to hide (like Stanford instead of Harvard for example).

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 am

larsoner wrote: (like Stanford instead of Harvard for example).
Well just /self if you did this anyway. The only good part of applying to only one school is zero chance of doing this kind of mistake.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:21 pm

mickeyD wrote:
boosk wrote:
rotaxkarter wrote:
MobyDick wrote:I thought it might be nice to gather some data about held applicants, so I made a a Google Doc:

Form: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... NU5meEE6MQ

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... kRqNU5meEE
For the newly held...

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:50 pm

I am planning to send my LOCI and an additional LOR (3rd one). Does anyone know if I have to send 3rd LOR through LSAC or directly to HLS?

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Checking in.

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:26 pm

EvelynS wrote:I am planning to send my LOCI and an additional LOR (3rd one). Does anyone know if I have to send 3rd LOR through LSAC or directly to HLS?
I already had a 3rd one on LSAC that I never sent (unsure about its strength) during the original app process. When I got held I just shot it over through there and it popped up on my status checker within a day or two.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wphr

New

Post by wphr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi y'all. held today :(...
we don't email anything directly to Harvard right? like LOCI and stuff?
they must be all sent by post?

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:55 pm

wphr wrote:Hi y'all. held today :(...
we don't email anything directly to Harvard right? like LOCI and stuff?
they must be all sent by post?
Welcome :)
Yeah, they don't open an attachments over email.

astaris

New

Post by astaris » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Held, also complete in mid-December =/
Quick question: I sent updated fall semester grades to LSAC in January...do you think that Harvard would have already seen these, or should I resend them?

crooked

Bronze

Post by crooked » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Welcome new holds! Sorry to the holds who didn't want to be holds and congrats to the holds who didn't think they had a chance to be holds.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”