HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
boosk

Bronze

HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Post by boosk » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:43 pm

thought I'd do a new one for this year...

So I'm planning on sending in my final UG transcripts, updated resume (new job), and another LOR (its already on LSAC, how does this work?)

The hold email also mentions sending in LOCI-related material, I might send one of these.

What are yall planning on?

AmandaPB

Bronze

Re: HELD @ HARVARD 2012 style

Post by AmandaPB » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Probably nothing (I want Stanford more).

XCanadian91

New

Post by XCanadian91 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:51 pm

same here ... have lots of family and life long friends attending Harvard and living in the area... I don't just want to go there for the name, but for personal reasons. Boo hoo, I know. But how should one position a LOCI to the greatest law school on earth? OF COURSE WE ALL WANT TO ATTEND. I just don't know what to say not to sound cheesy or trite.

sn20

Bronze

Post by sn20 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Checking in! I want Hahhhhvaahhhddd

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm

can someone outline how to do:

1.Grades update - do I have my UG send it to LSAC, Harvard, or me personally so i can snail mail it?
2.Send in another LOR (already on LSAC) - do you just assign it to Harvard on LSAC and it automatically gets sent?
3.Everything else should go snail mail? (resume update, LOCI, etc...) or do grades updates go snail mail as well?
4.Is snail mail preferred to email for everything? or vice-versa?

thanks guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KaleidoscopeEyes

New

Post by KaleidoscopeEyes » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Also checking in...don't know what I'll send though. Maybe an LOCI.

azgirl514

New

Post by azgirl514 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Hey, could one of you guys clarify to me exactly what a hold means, in terms of a future chance for admission? I understood everything the email said, but I was wondering if a "hold" is kind of the equivalent of an undergraduate ED "deferral" -- that is, "we'll consider you later, but basically this means you're rejected anyway." I'm not quite sure if that's how the law school system works or not.

Either way, Harvard would be a dream come true, so I'm going to do my best to update my file regardless.

I think I'm going to send in a summary of my thesis (perhaps some sample pages?), updated grades, and a LOCI specifying "why Harvard" that is more in-depth than my PS.

operagrl71

New

Post by operagrl71 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:07 am

Longtime lurker here, held today as well.

Thought I would seek out some TLS wisdom on whether it would be bad form to submit a LOCI w/a 5th rec letter if I already submitted 4 letters with my original app. Essentially I'm feeling like I need to send something in order to stay in the game, but since I'm out of UG and therefore have no grades to update, and haven't changed jobs/received any fabulous awards in the last 2 months, another rec letter with a LOCI is pretty much all I've got. I have a quality 5th recommender on hand, but on the flip side I wouldn't want irritate the admissions office by sending them extra stuff to read just because I’m trying to keep up with the other holds.

It would obviously be beyond a dream come true to go to Harvard so I’m inclined to take the risk, but would love to hear other people’s thoughts.

(PS Good luck to everyone!)

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:42 am

Unfortunately, I have nothing to send. I'm out of undergrad, and still have the same job as I did when I applied three months ago. So... generic LOCI? Is that even worth it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 am

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/admissions ... %e2%80%9d/

According to this, I feel that they don't want another LOR. I'm not sure about LOCI.

Can someone check last year's harvard hold or waitlist thread?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:25 am

icedflames wrote:http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/admissions ... %e2%80%9d/

According to this, I feel that they don't want another LOR. I'm not sure about LOCI.

Can someone check last year's harvard hold or waitlist thread?
I just read a few pages and there was no consensus last year either. I really get the feeling that the only thing that will actually affect your chances would be something that changes the fundamentals of your application, i.e. new grades or a change in jobs/resume.

I've always thought LOCI were for staving off YP and showing commitment to a school over its peers. Sending a LOCI to Harvard saying you'll attend if admitted is pointless since they assume you will regardless. Unless maybe you have a Stanford/Yale acceptance, but if you have those numbers you're probably already in. Sending another LOR is clearly discouraged and honestly what additional light on you as an applicant could it possibly show. I'm not going to send anything and take my chances.

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:35 am

Whoops, I already assigned another LOR... Hope that isn't a game killer...

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:39 am

boosk wrote:Whoops, I already assigned another LOR... Hope that isn't a game killer...
I doubt it matters one way or the other. They're just going to add it to your file. I doubt they really read the things to begin with beyond determining that it's from who it says it is and is vaguely about you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lilhmoney

New

Post by lilhmoney » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Checking in. I have no game plan yet.

yansky22

New

Post by yansky22 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Checking in as well. I did send Harvard an updated transcript through Lsac and will probably send an LOCI stating the obvious haha. But Harvard never acknowledged the updated transcript even though LSAC says it sent. Can anyone kindly tell me if this is normal? Thank you!

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:17 pm

tag!

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Held today. Reading through last years held thread was pretty grim.

Based on their e-mail, it really sounds to me like they only want a LOCI that says why you want to go to harvard specifically, not one that says you will. To interpret that all more generally, and this will be the theme I intend to use for any communication I have with the school, if I indeed do: They have your application, they have everything that you personally decided was relevant and worthwhile in your efforts to make a case for your admission. If there is something about you personally, professionally, academically, etc. that you feel the admissions committee would benefit in their decision making process by means of your elucidation, then submit it.

I am speaking only from my own perspective long out of school and in the professional world. I would offer that my numbers are drastically below all of yours, about 5 under H's LSAT median and .5 under their GPA median, so that they even identified me as a person to hold vs. reject tells me that they do indeed at least read essays on applications and not immediately discard those without reasonable numbers.

Personally, I do not think things like geography is a factor I would ever mention in an LOCI. I would not mention how amazing professor x was and that they went to Harvard, because I have no doubt that these anecdotes are used endlessly, and Harvard has a commanding presence in academia so this isn't too surprising.

If I do decide to write an LOCI, I will do my research on what Harvard has to offer on the specific field/career path I would like to pursue. If I mention something, it will be unique to Harvard, because something generic like "I want to do XYZ clinic at Harvard" would provide more compelling evidence for why I want to attend a top school, not why Harvard, since I haven't heard of too many things that arent fairly universal in some manner between many great schools.

Thats my personal perspective at least.

I understand the stigma of contacting admissions offices for anything but the most dire of issues, but I am considering asking them if they would like to know anything more about me as an applicant as a response to their e-mail, essentially, asking for feedback on my application. If I were K-JD I probably wouldnt do this unless you have a long untold story, but for those of us 5+ years out of school, there is a lot more story to tell than the 2 page PS. It is probably a non-existent chance that I would get much feedback, though it has worked for me with other schools in the T6.

Anyway. Accepted>Held>Waitlisted>Rejected. I'm just hope to progress to the left end of that spectrum.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Checking in. Below both medians. I plan on discussing my next move with some mentors/friends/advisors. Beyond that, an LOCI to Harvard is like sending Charlize Theron a letter saying "I promise to pick you out of all the other girls if you decide to date me." Umm. OBVIOUSLY.

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:36 pm

yansky22 wrote:Checking in as well. I did send Harvard an updated transcript through Lsac and will probably send an LOCI stating the obvious haha. But Harvard never acknowledged the updated transcript even though LSAC says it sent. Can anyone kindly tell me if this is normal? Thank you!
I sent in a transcript update as well and don't have any indication on the status checker that it's been received. I'm assuming it's normal...

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Hey guys, checking in. I'm thinking I might send a LOCI a little bit down the road, but right now I'll just a wait and see how things go. Best of luck to everyone!

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:07 pm

So, does anyone have a theory as to why Harvard held so many people? Including people that were auto-rejects (coughmecough)? Like, why wouldn't they just reject me and be done with it? I was complete 12/1.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chucklesmcgee

Bronze

Post by chucklesmcgee » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:08 pm

I sent them updated fundraising numbers for a group I run..hopefully that's enough to get an approving eyeblink (a nod might be asking for too much).

I didn't really bother with too much of a LOCI seeing that it is Harvard and 99% of people would continue to be interested. I just said I'd unconditionally accept an offer of admission.

I mailed my updates, I guess that's how it's supposed to be done?
Last edited by chucklesmcgee on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chucklesmcgee

Bronze

Post by chucklesmcgee » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:18 pm

Killingly wrote:So, does anyone have a theory as to why Harvard held so many people? Including people that were auto-rejects (coughmecough)? Like, why wouldn't they just reject me and be done with it? I was complete 12/1.

Were you really an autoreject? Like 150 LSAT 2.8 non-URM? Or a well-if-the-stars-are-aligned-maybe-I-guess admit?

I'm wondering if the applicant pool is substantially weaker or smaller than in previous years and the committee is worried that they may not be able to fill the class with the grade of people they hoped. Waitlisting people makes them likely to accept elsewhere and it's not fair to keep people without an update for months on end. By holding people and then waiting for the last bunch of applicants to get their applications in, the adcom can best make their decisions without potentially losing the best people if they waitlisted or rejected them.

With that in mind, I'd also imagine that it'll be a while before anyone who is held hears anything- there's little point in going through the trouble of putting someone on hold and then giving them a KB1 the next week. I wouldn't be surprised if most of us are still waiting until near the application deadline for any news.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:21 pm

chucklesmcgee wrote:
Killingly wrote:So, does anyone have a theory as to why Harvard held so many people? Including people that were auto-rejects (coughmecough)? Like, why wouldn't they just reject me and be done with it? I was complete 12/1.

Were you really an autoreject? Like 150 LSAT 2.8 non-URM? Or a well-if-the-stars-are-aligned-maybe-I-guess admit?

I'm wondering if the applicant pool is substantially weaker or smaller than in previous years and the committee is worried that they may not be able to fill the class with the grade of people they hoped. Waitlisting people makes them likely to accept elsewhere and it's not fair to keep people without an update for months on end. By holding people and then waiting for the last bunch of applicants to get their applications in, the adcom can best make their decisions without potentially losing the best people if they waitlisted or rejected them.

With that in mind, I'd also imagine that it'll be a while before anyone who is held hears anything- there's little point in going through the trouble of putting someone on hold and then giving them a KB1 the next week. I wouldn't be surprised if most of us are still waiting until near the application deadline.
I agree with you, and I don't expect to get a KB1 at all. But, I'm a 3.5/170 non-URM, why would they give me one? The whole process seems strange to me.

chucklesmcgee

Bronze

Post by chucklesmcgee » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Killingly wrote:
chucklesmcgee wrote:

With that in mind, I'd also imagine that it'll be a while before anyone who is held hears anything- there's little point in going through the trouble of putting someone on hold and then giving them a KB1 the next week. I wouldn't be surprised if most of us are still waiting until near the application deadline.
I agree with you, and I don't expect to get a KB1 at all. But, I'm a 3.5/170 non-URM, why would they give me one? The whole process seems strange to me.
Barring some interesting softs on your app, perhaps their applicant pool was a lot weaker than usual. Or perhaps a hold just goes out to anyone they consider at least capable of being a decent student should they actually need someone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”